• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

For any kind of time or dimensional shifts to occur, the past, the present, and the future are all happening at the same time.

Funny, no one has ever shifted to the dinosaurs age.

Recently University of California at Berkeley asks the question if 2.5 billion T-Rex’s r stalked the earth, where are their bones ?

Only a few T-Rex’s bones have been found in comparison to their population.
Not all bones were fossilised.
Many bones just fell apart and became dust.
The ones that did get preserved were mostly where the creature was engulfed in mud that dried out. Some mineralisation occurred because there were salts and minerals in the mud that permeated the bones.
Fossilisation is actually a rare event.

If I may be allowed to comment on some slightly stale and slightly off-topic posts (and don't worry, I'll get on topic)...

The one situation where an accurate map does fail is when it's out of date. New roads get built and old ones are changed, blocked off, etc. I've had it happen to me a few times.

When in strange places, I've always tried to find out where I am on the map, so to speak. I just don't understand people who only want directions to a place, rather than an idea of where it is.

The worst example of this I've encountered recently was with a family at the local train station. They looked confused, so I offered my help. A woman asked if this was the right platform for the Ronkonkoma train. (Ronkonkoma is east of Mineola, where we were.) I pointed to the digital display that identifies trains by their terminal destinations and said yes, this is track 2, and that's the next train. Then a man (her husband, I assume) said "And that goes to Woodside?" while the woman held up her phone.

On the phone was a simple graphic: a straight line showing the stops for their train between Mineola and Woodside. An app or web site had told them to take a train on the Ronkonkoma line to get to Woodside. Woodside, however, is west of Mineola, in the direction of New York City. (One could also argue that mentioning the line was irrelevant, since several Long Island Railroad lines merge at or before Mineola.)

No, I said, most city-bound trains leave from the other platform on the other side. The man seemed quite distressed by the fact that ALL of them didn't. Finally he asked "Which way is Citi Field?" and I pointed in the direction of the train they wanted. Only after I left them did I realize they needed to transfer at Woodside to a different westbound train - LIRR or subway - to get to Citi Field. I doubt they had a smooth trip.

Now you have to understand that anyone who lives around here should have a very good idea of where all these locations are in reference to where the conversation took place, and I don't think these people were from out of town. They just didn't bother to take a few more minutes to get an idea of where they were in relation to where they were going.

So getting back to timeslips and the Oz effect: could being very unaccustomed to figuring out where you are, as opposed to how to get where you want to be, contribute to a predisposition to go all Oz-headed and concentrate only on the unfamiliar? After all, many alleged timeslips happen in unfamiliar locations.
To be fair though, I have a friend who is perfectly intelligent and fully functioning. Yet she is absolutely terrified to travel anywhere by train. Her objections are: I won't know which platform to go to, the announcements are all unintelligible, what happens if I get on the wrong train, what happens if there isn't time for me to get off at my destination and the train goes off with me still trying to get out....

I have pointed out until I am blue in the face that all she has to do is read the computerised boards on the station platform, and that a train won't go while she's getting off, but she's convinced that it's really really difficult. Purely because she doesn't do it, and therefore THINKS it's some arcane activity only undertaken by the rare and privileged few.

Maybe these people were like that?

For any kind of time or dimensional shifts to occur, the past, the present, and the future are all happening at the same time.

Recently University of California at Berkeley asks the question if 2.5 billion T-Rex’s r stalked the earth, where are their bones ?

Only a few T-Rex’s bones have been found in comparison to their population.
And, oh boy, does this make me worry about the University of California... Do they not know how fossilisation occurs?

To say the past, present, and future are all happening at the same time is analogous to saying the one, six, and twelve inch marks on a ruler are all in the same place. "At the same time" is a reference to a point, or at least a small location, on the dimension of time. Past, present, and future are by definition different locations along that dimension. You can say the entirely of the Universe contains the entirely of time, but you can't say all time exists "at the same time".

I'm not aware of any timeslips that go back more than a few hundred years, so if they do exist there may be a limit.

To be fair though, I have a friend who is perfectly intelligent and fully functioning. Yet she is absolutely terrified to travel anywhere by train. Her objections are: I won't know which platform to go to, the announcements are all unintelligible, what happens if I get on the wrong train, what happens if there isn't time for me to get off at my destination and the train goes off with me still trying to get out....

I have pointed out until I am blue in the face that all she has to do is read the computerised boards on the station platform, and that a train won't go while she's getting off, but she's convinced that it's really really difficult. Purely because she doesn't do it, and therefore THINKS it's some arcane activity only undertaken by the rare and privileged few.

Maybe these people were like that?
My own mother-in-law was like that. I think it's similar to a problem a friend of mine has that makes him drive everywhere. He once said he doesn't want to travel on anything he couldn't control in an emergency. He probably could take a train, knowing about the emergency brakes, but wouldn't fly because he knows he can't pilot an airliner.

I'm not criticizing any of these people, only pointing out a certain frame of mind. Someone who does not easily put their fate in other (capable) persons' hands might be more prone to inflating the strangeness of strange surroundings.

Einstein said the past, present, and future is an illusion.

What does that mean ?

The earth is traveling at 1.3 million miles per hour pulled by the sun, galaxy, and universe.

How can one time jump at these speeds with points of reference ?

Not all bones were fossilised.
Many bones just fell apart and became dust.
The ones that did get preserved were mostly where the creature was engulfed in mud that dried out. Some mineralisation occurred because there were salts and minerals in the mud that permeated the bones.
Fossilisation is actually a rare event.
Our La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, California, fossilized over 3 million animals that fell in, more than 600 species, an amazing site that I would love to see one day They even discovered a human skeleton there.

10 Fascinating Facts About the La Brea Tar Pits​

There's a gooey time capsule in the heart of Los Angeles, left over from an era when saber-toothed cats, dire wolves, camels, and giant sloths prowled southern California. At the site known today as the La Brea Tar Pits and Museum, natural asphalt has bubbled up from below the ground's surface since the last Ice Age. This murky sludge has trapped and made fossils out of thousands of creatures, as small as bees and as big as mammoths. Here are a few of the amazing discoveries made there.

1. MORE THAN 3.5 MILLION FOSSILS HAVE BEEN DISCOVERED.​

The tar pits have yielded one of the biggest collections of Ice Age fossils in the world, and collectively, the statistics are stunning. More than 600 species have been found, from snakes and mollusks to sloths and mountain lions. Of the mammals found at La Brea, around 90 percent are carnivores. (Amazingly, the pits have yielded more 200,000 individual dire wolf specimens alone.) The common explanation is that when big herbivores like mammoths got stuck in the asphalt, they would have looked like an easy meal to predators—who would then become stuck in the tar themselves.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/501974/10-fascinating-facts-about-la-brea-tar-pits

The earth is traveling at 1.3 million miles per hour pulled by the sun, galaxy, and universe.
How can one time jump at these speeds with points of reference ?

That is a question that has been asked many times. But some methods of time travel can connect locations in space-time reliably. A permanent temporally-displaced wormhole, for example, could connect the surface of a planet in the 10th century, for example, to the surface of the same planet a thousand years later, no matter where that planet may be. The fact that the planet has moved on in the intervening period is not significant, because the wormhole would be gravitationally bound to the planet.

In practice you'd probably want to put both ends of the wormhole in orbit, to reduce any problems with tidal distortion near the throat; but once in orbit the wormhole would follow the planet wherever it went, just as the Moon follows the Earth.

Except for one rather dubious Tom Slemen story, I'm not aware of any alleged time-slips going anywhere near that far back in time.

So interesting that the genius Nikola Tesla claimed that by using magnetic fields, he saw the past, present and future all at once.

Apparently, Tesla too was obsessed with time travel. He worked on a time machine and reportedly succeeded, stating: ‘I could see the past, present, and future all at the same time.

In 1895, as per his reports, he suggested that time and space could be influenced by magnetic fields.
The alleged idea of altering alter time and space by magnetic fields resulted in a number of experiments that led to the infamous Philadelphia experiment which is considered a deception by many.
It is said that while working on Nikola Tesla’s Time Travel Experiment he found brainstorming results.
Tesla discovered that the space-time barrier could be changed using the magnetic fields and accessed by forming a trojan horse which will ultimately lead to a different time.
Though, reports of 1895 state that a witness saw Tesla at a coffee shop looking stressed and disturbed.
His assistant stated that Tesla was almost electrocuted by a machine as he was trying to solve the time travel riddle.
After nearly dying, Tesla asserted that he had found himself in a whole different time and space window, where he could see the past, present, and future all at once while staying within the artificial magnetic field created by him.

https://www.infinityexplorers.com/n... the artificial magnetic field created by him.

Reminds me of how UFO's may use magnetic fields to move as they do?

I think there's a tendency to hark back to our glory days and think things were so much better then. I'm sure many things were, but I much prefer modern music. Technology is so much better now, cars are more reliable - there's a lot to like about the twenty first century. Maybe it's because it took me to hit nearly 40 before my life started to make any sense that I just think much of the past was not all that.
Cars may be better now but young people have been priced out of driving by the high cost of insurance and the paucity of decent apprenticeships and other jobs that school and college leavers did. So less time driving to meet up with friends and more time spent online (which is another curse of our modern age)

Cars may be better now but young people have been priced out of driving by the high cost of insurance and the paucity of decent apprenticeships and other jobs that school and college leavers did. So less time driving to meet up with friends and more time spent online (which is another curse of our modern age)
Oh I don't disagree that there are a lot of things about the 21st Century that are a complete pain in the bum, but overall...

Life a few decades ago was much simpler - auto parts were always in supply, no shortages of this, that and everything else, employment was always available, along with apartments, and everything was much more affordable.
The computer age made office work so much easier and quicker - storing files and printing up correspondence instantly, the ability to speak to anyone within seconds even if they were on the road, so many things make the present a wonderful age.
When I hear all the screeching into cell phones though, and see all the silly 'selfies' of the wanna-be social media celebrities, I wonder.

Life a few decades ago was much simpler - auto parts were always in supply, no shortages of this, that and everything else, employment was always available, along with apartments, and everything was much more affordable.
The computer age made office work so much easier and quicker - storing files and printing up correspondence instantly, the ability to speak to anyone within seconds even if they were on the road, so many things make the present a wonderful age.
When I hear all the screeching into cell phones though, and see all the silly 'selfies' of the wanna-be social media celebrities, I wonder.
So true. When I was self employed in the 80s as a plumbing and heating engineer, it was great to get in my van, knowing I would not be disturbed and know that I could just get on with the jobs without the phone ringing when I was halfway through a difficult job.
I still dislike the phone now -it is like a demand -I want to speak to you about something so whatever you are doing you must stop to talk to me. Yet, if you are with someone and you ignore your phone ringing they often look at you as if you are being rude.

These posts are interesting. If harking back to previous decades invokes a whole less-complicated, more simplistic way of life that people still hanker for, maybe that gives some psychological insight into just why people experience timeslips?

Oh I frequently get into a right old paddy and yell:-

'I F*****G HATE modern life!'

And then indulge in a fantasy of smashing all the computers and smart phones in the entire world until I remember that I wouldn't be able to speak to you lovely lot of I did and then grudgingly having to admit that I suppose they do have their uses. sigh

Oh I frequently get into a right old paddy and yell:-

'I F*****G HATE modern life!'

And then indulge in a fantasy of smashing all the computers and smart phones in the entire world until I remember that I wouldn't be able to speak to you lovely lot of I did and then grudgingly having to admit that I suppose they do have their uses. sigh
My friend has to get his wife to turn the tv on because he doesn't know how to do it.
He knows everything about jazz though.....

Yes still remember the dentist I bit at 9 when he held me down and forced my mouth open.
:omg: Would be prosecuted now and kicked out of the profession. Decades ago I had a local dentist who looked about 18. He had an hypnotic voice and had a technique which was totally painless even when giving injections. He extracted a tooth without me even realising he had touched it. Amazing, I hope he went on to do very well in his profession.

(Sorry Yith going off topic)

Last edited:
Certainly modern cars are safer but far more complex and costly to repair and a simple fault can render them totally immobile. Bit of a reflection on modern life as well. Catseye raises an interesting point about a possible longing for simpler times and the experience of timeslips.
I have pondered whether the sighting of ghosts represents some form of timeslip on the part of the experiencer or the "ghost".

Interesting recent article about time-slips and ghosts in general and how time-slips seem to be reported less frequently in recent years, despite the current proliferation of paranormal groups and Fortean websites.
Amongst the examples given are the famous Bold Street, Bampton and Avignon incidents, but also one I hadn't heard of before.
It featured author Anthony Peake, who was on holiday in Turkey in 1984. He "visited an old mosque and experienced a change in the air's density. He then saw an ancient Greek-style touring ship emerging from the sea around an island that was once a hill. The ship and surroundings disappeared quickly, leaving him bewildered."

https://www.higgypop.com/news/time-slips/

Interesting recent article about time-slips and ghosts in general and how time-slips seem to be reported less frequently in recent years, despite the current proliferation of paranormal groups and Fortean websites.
Amongst the examples given are the famous Bold Street, Bampton and Avignon incidents, but also one I hadn't heard of before.
It featured author Anthony Peake, who was on holiday in Turkey in 1984. He "visited an old mosque and experienced a change in the air's density. He then saw an ancient Greek-style touring ship emerging from the sea around an island that was once a hill. The ship and surroundings disappeared quickly, leaving him bewildered."

https://www.higgypop.com/news/time-slips/
I'm always dubious of claims that a certain phenomenon is becoming rarer as if you became interested in time-slips in, say 2020, you have decades of accounts to look back on but new ones are by their nature rare and sporadic. I also believe the data has been skewed by a multitude of reports from a certain Liverpudlian and that whilst Liverpool has some excellent cases entered around Bold Street, that individual has made a cottage industry out of it.

I'm always dubious of claims that a certain phenomenon is becoming rarer as if you became interested in time-slips in, say 2020, you have decades of accounts to look back on but new ones are by their nature rare and sporadic. I also believe the data has been skewed by a multitude of reports from a certain Liverpudlian and that whilst Liverpool has some excellent cases entered around Bold Street, that individual has made a cottage industry out of it.
Tend to agree.
Just as the Slemen accounts are to be taken with a hefty shovelful of salt, it is worth noting that Anthony Peake is the author of "The Labyrinth of Time: The Illusion of Past, Present and Future" and, what better way to boost interest in ones own book than by reporting a personal time-slip anecdote? Not saying it's necessarily made-up though and I would love a vision of an ancient Greek vessel (bireme? trireme?) navigating around an island, which is now just a hill on dry land, to be true. The change in the air's density sounds rather like Jenny Randles' "Oz factor".

It occurs to me that this brief moment of weirdness that I posted in the Minor Strangeness thread may be relevant here:

"Posting over at the Waverley Abbey thread jogged my memory of a minor occurrence in the mid-1990s when I was visiting the ruins of the temple of Mithras at Carrawburgh, on Hadrian's Wall. For those unfamiliar with the place, the ruins of the temple consist essentially of a low wall base, not standing more than a foot or so high. If you imagine a small country chapel that has been demolished to near-ground level, that would give you an idea of its dimensions. When I visited the little ruin, as I stepped across the threshold while talking to my brother, for a second or two my voice sounded oddly muffled/echoey, as if I'd just stepped into a damp, enclosed space. As my momentum carried me forward, my voice returned to normal. I returned to where I had been and tried to recreate the effect but was unable to do so. I imagine I caught a chance echo off the sides of the doorway, but it was very odd."

I wonder that Liverpudlan has ever had a Paranormal encounter ?

Back