• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

Arguably the most dramatic future slip was from Liverpool. A young man at a disco in I think the 60s was given some pill, which he thought was a purple heart (drinamyl), which left him feeling dazed and sick. He went out for some air and was helped by a stunningly beautiful girl in very revealing clothing. He noticed that there was a kind of shopping centre nearby that he had never seen before. In subsequent years he has seen the shopping centre built where he saw it, and fashions have become more revealing and similar to the girl's. He is anticipating that the time he visited will soon be here!
Not Liverpool One? Visually spectacular, but somewhat dissappointing as it's just the usual high street shops plus overpriced oiver-rated eateries and tat parlours. Amazing to walk around, though, even if you'd prefer to do your actual spending elsewhere in town.

i'm reminded of a dream I had when I was around eleven. Probably not a full-blown timeslip as i'm 98% sure I never left my bed except on a voyage of the mind. Anyway; I was doing my journey to school which meant travelling into Stockport down to where Reddish Road became Sandy Lane which segued directly into Tiviot Dale and then the town centre. To my surprise, the junction between Sandy Lane, Manchester Road and Tiviot Dale had stopped being a simple T-junction with traffic lights: somebody had gone and built a bloody great roundabout complex with a few extra roads leading into it. I even noted pedestrian access had been restricted to some sort of underpass system going underneath the roundabouts and there was an awful lot more open green space about the place. More sinister aspect: suddenly I wasn't on the bus any more and out in that open green space, with the Stalinist monstrosity of Lancashire Hill's council flats over to my right. I realised I had to get out of the open very quickly, but realised I had to take care as there were unexploded bombs of some sort all around me, not all of them visible. Then I realised why I had to get undercover quickly as two or three fighter jets flew overhead, very loud, low, and fast...

I might have put this down as a bad dream focusing on anxiety of some sort (I had lots to choose from aged eleven, and show me an eleven year old boy who doesn't find fast jetplanes fascinating) except for the futurist thing about the roads being remodelled into some sort of roundabout system. And guess what... a year or two later, around 1975, the intersection of Sandy Lane, Tiviot Dale and Manchester Road was indeed remodelled into a roundabout system with pedestrian underpasses, with a brand new road built to link everything to a road system a mile or two away leading up to Bredbury, Brinnington, Hyde and Ashton. A second brand-new urban freeway (Belmont Way) was built to connect the new roundabout to the A6, in the opposite direction. Five roads, where previously there'd been only three. The only thing that hasn't happened (yet) is a major war leading to somebody considering South Reddish is a strategic target worth being carpet-bombed... two or three years ahead of time, i got a glimpse of something that was then only at the planning stage. Although it's feasible that as schoolchildren we might have been shipped up to the town hall to go "wow!" at a great big architect's model of the proposed development, that I'm told was on public display as part of the charm offensive to justify knocking down lots of houses... maybe that stuck, although I have no conscious memory of it. Maybe somebody cracked jokes about one thing that could improve the local area was a civic-minded air force carpet-bombing the Lanky Hill council estate...

To be more specific, the girl had a piercing and tattoo, something unheard of in the 60s!
piercings certainly werent unheard of then, swinging 60s, liverpool clubland ... tattoos and paint wouldnt have been either

Not Liverpool One? Visually spectacular, but somewhat dissappointing as it's just the usual high street shops plus overpriced oiver-rated eateries and tat parlours. Amazing to walk around, though, even if you'd prefer to do your actual spending elsewhere in town.

i'm reminded of a dream I had when I was around eleven. Probably not a full-blown timeslip as i'm 98% sure I never left my bed except on a voyage of the mind. Anyway; I was doing my journey to school which meant travelling into Stockport down to where Reddish Road became Sandy Lane which segued directly into Tiviot Dale and then the town centre. To my surprise, the junction between Sandy Lane, Manchester Road and Tiviot Dale had stopped being a simple T-junction with traffic lights: somebody had gone and built a bloody great roundabout complex with a few extra roads leading into it. I even noted pedestrian access had been restricted to some sort of underpass system going underneath the roundabouts and there was an awful lot more open green space about the place. More sinister aspect: suddenly I wasn't on the bus any more and out in that open green space, with the Stalinist monstrosity of Lancashire Hill's council flats over to my right. I realised I had to get out of the open very quickly, but realised I had to take care as there were unexploded bombs of some sort all around me, not all of them visible. Then I realised why I had to get undercover quickly as two or three fighter jets flew overhead, very loud, low, and fast...

I might have put this down as a bad dream focusing on anxiety of some sort (I had lots to choose from aged eleven, and show me an eleven year old boy who doesn't find fast jetplanes fascinating) except for the futurist thing about the roads being remodelled into some sort of roundabout system. And guess what... a year or two later, around 1975, the intersection of Sandy Lane, Tiviot Dale and Manchester Road was indeed remodelled into a roundabout system with pedestrian underpasses, with a brand new road built to link everything to a road system a mile or two away leading up to Bredbury, Brinnington, Hyde and Ashton. A second brand-new urban freeway (Belmont Way) was built to connect the new roundabout to the A6, in the opposite direction. Five roads, where previously there'd been only three. The only thing that hasn't happened (yet) is a major war leading to somebody considering South Reddish is a strategic target worth being carpet-bombed... two or three years ahead of time, i got a glimpse of something that was then only at the planning stage. Although it's feasible that as schoolchildren we might have been shipped up to the town hall to go "wow!" at a great big architect's model of the proposed development, that I'm told was on public display as part of the charm offensive to justify knocking down lots of houses... maybe that stuck, although I have no conscious memory of it. Maybe somebody cracked jokes about one thing that could improve the local area was a civic-minded air force carpet-bombing the Lanky Hill council estate...
No, it was the Cavern Club in Mathew Street. The witness married and moved away from Liverpool, and when he returned for a visit in the late 90s, found that the Cavern Walks shopping arcade was indeed the one he'd seen 30 years before. The girl he met had come from the Glass Onion Boutique, which has not appeared yet although I did spot another Glass Onion shop in Mathew St on Google Earth.
Your dream fascinates me because I had a rather similar dream in the late 90s/early 2000s: I dreamed it was icy cold and snow was everywhere. I was returning home and noticed a bus stop in a place where there wasn't one. It felt a bit like the end of the world, so I was surprised to see a jogger coming, who passed me and when I looked back was still running into the distance. A few months later -- a bus stop was indeed built on that section of road, which was strange as there was another stop already in place only 150-200 yards further along the road. I have since moved away.

No, it was the Cavern Club in Mathew Street. The witness married and moved away from Liverpool, and when he returned for a visit in the late 90s, found that the Cavern Walks shopping arcade was indeed the one he'd seen 30 years before. The girl he met had come from the Glass Onion Boutique, which has not appeared yet although I did spot another Glass Onion shop in Mathew St on Google Earth.

Not sure if this impacts on the story, but the original Cavern was closed down in the early 70s, and the new one is an exact replica which opened in the mid-80s in a new location a little further down Mathew Street.

Arguably the most dramatic future slip was from Liverpool. A young man at a disco in I think the 60s was given some pill, which he thought was a purple heart (drinamyl), which left him feeling dazed and sick. He went out for some air and was helped by a stunningly beautiful girl in very revealing clothing. He noticed that there was a kind of shopping centre nearby that he had never seen before. In subsequent years he has seen the shopping centre built where he saw it, and fashions have become more revealing and similar to the girl's. He is anticipating that the time he visited will soon be here!

Is there a source for this one, Carl? I'd be intrigued to know more. We've not really had much in the way of timeslips forwards.

Not sure if this impacts on the story, but the original Cavern was closed down in the early 70s, and the new one is an exact replica which opened in the mid-80s in a new location a little further down Mathew Street.

Interesting. I wonder if that places it closer to the boutique in question?

This is another one from Slemen, and it is told in a very straightforward way, no made-up dialogue etc. I may as well try to copy it here:

Glass Onion

Regular readers of my books will know that the concept of time is not as straightforward as it seems. The grammar we use to express our everyday thoughts has past and future tenses, and we talk of hours, minutes, seconds and days, but as of yet, no one is able to define exactly what time is, and it would seem that under certain conditions, everyday folk have walked into the past, and future, in what are known as 'timeslips'.
A reader named Roy contacted me early in 2010 to tell me of something that has haunted him for around forty-five years. In 1965, Roy was a frequent visitor to the world-famous Cavern Club on Mathew Street, and followed most of the acts appearing there, such as The Hideaways, and a beautiful girl known as Tiffany, formerly of the Liverbirds, who fronted a band called the Dimensions.
One evening, Roy went to see Tiffany and the Dimensions, and afterwards, he foolishly swallowed a dark-green pill that he had been given by a friend at a local pub. Roy was told the pill was a 'purple heart', the nickname of a drug consisting of a powerful combination of amphetamines and barbiturates, known medically as drinamyl, but for all he knew, it could have been anything. Roy suffered a panic attack fifteen minutes after taking this pill, and shoved his way through the crowds at the Cavern to get out and above ground, but when he staggered out into Mathew Street, twenty-two-year-old Roy saw it was daytime, which did not make sense. He could see that the street was unmistakably Mathew Street, but it was now pedestrianised and futuristic, especially the arcade of shops he staggered into. Roy was quick to notice that women on this unreal sunny day were dressed in a way that he perceived as provocative, even tarty, and in this strange arcade of chrome, glass, plastic, steel and neon, he felt very unsteady on his feet.
A girl of about twenty, whom Roy described as "an absolutely beautiful young blonde lady, with flawless skin and peculiar but fetching clothes", came out of a boutique of some sort and asked him if he was okay. The name of that boutique was 'Glass Onion'. At this point in time, the term Glass Onion, the title of a song John Lennon and Paul McCartney would later write for the Beatles' 1968 'White Album', was obviously unheard of.
As the girl came nearer and took hold of Roy's arm, he noticed two odd things about her; she had what we would now call a piercing in her lip, and a tribal tattoo on her hand. In Roy's era, tattooed women were the stuff of circuses and only ears were pierced. "Where am I?" Roy asked, before everything around him "dissolved into grey shapes" and he felt the ultramodern girl's grip on his arm lessen and then fade away.
Next, Roy found himself slumped against a warehouse wall on a bleak rain-slicked Mathew Street back in 1965, surrounded by a lot of people, all looking down at him. He passed out and woke up in the Royal Hospital, Pembroke Place, where he was kept under observation for a while. Roy confided in his brother and his closest friend about the tattooed blonde and the arcade which looked like something out of a Dr Who episode. "It must have been the purple heart," was his brother's explanation.
Roy later moved out of Liverpool and married a Surrey girl. He returned to the city in the late 1990s and on visiting the city centre was curious to revisit Mathew Street, the site of his strange experience. He was truly shocked to come upon Cavern Walks, and immediately recognised it as the highly futuristic arcade he had somehow visited back in 1965, but he failed to find a boutique called Glass Onion. Perhaps such a boutique will open there one day, and if so, will a young Roy make his appearance there? (From Haunted Liverpool Casebook.)

Now that is a good question. If that boutique does make its appearance, it might be worthwhile for someone to ask the owners to have a CCTV covering the exterior view...

Yes, I had been assuming that the Cavern club was where it appears now, close to the shops. I'm not sure if it makes a great impact on the story, since we don't know how far the witness walked in his drugged state.

... At this point in time, the term Glass Onion, the title of a song John Lennon and Paul McCartney would later write for the Beatles' 1968 'White Album', was obviously unheard of.

Actually, the term 'glass onion' was indeed 'heard of' as of 1965, and it had been in use for some time.

Glass bottles designed for holding wine or spirits at sea were blown with exaggerated wide and low bases so they'd be stable. This gave them a shape akin to an onion. Such bottles were known colloquially as 'onion bottles' or 'glass onions'.

Here's a representative illustration ...
8662.jpg

There is, or was, a Glass Onion pub on Mathew Street, although some reports say it's now called O'Briens.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...s_Onion_Pub-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

Apparently there's also a Glass Onion coffee shop on Slater Street:

http://www.bigreddirectory.com/plr_d.php?p=glass-onion-liverpool

There is a vintage clothing company called Glass Onion: while they regularly have sales events in Liverpool, they appear to have begun in Camden, London, and are now headquartered in Barnsley, Yorkshire. Pop-up shop in Liverpool every so often? They'd be a shoe-in for Mathew Street...

http://www.glassonionvintage.com/page/wholesale-vintage-stock

Actually, the term 'glass onion' was indeed 'heard of' as of 1965, and it had been in use for some time.

Glass bottles designed for holding wine or spirits at sea were blown with exaggerated wide and low bases so they'd be stable. This gave them a shape akin to an onion. Such bottles were known colloquially as 'onion bottles' or 'glass onions'.

Here's a representative illustration ...
I don't recall ever hearing that as a Beatles song -- I'll see if I can find it on You Tube. Presumably Lennon & Mac were familiar with the original meaning of Glass Onion, then, as it would be a very odd coincidence if they came up with the phrase independently.

There is, or was, a Glass Onion pub on Mathew Street, although some reports say it's now called O'Briens.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...s_Onion_Pub-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

Apparently there's also a Glass Onion coffee shop on Slater Street:

http://www.bigreddirectory.com/plr_d.php?p=glass-onion-liverpool

There is a vintage clothing company called Glass Onion: while they regularly have sales events in Liverpool, they appear to have begun in Camden, London, and are now headquartered in Barnsley, Yorkshire. Pop-up shop in Liverpool every so often? They'd be a shoe-in for Mathew Street...

http://www.glassonionvintage.com/page/wholesale-vintage-stock
But no Glass Onion boutique yet. It would be interesting if someone read the time slip account and decided to open a place with that name in Mathew Street...

There are a couple of empty units in that street...

There are a couple of empty units in that street...
Someone must keep a close eye on those units! And if the Glass Onion does open there, we need lots of volunteers to watch it every day (during daylight hours), armed with cameras.

Someone must keep a close eye on those units! And if the Glass Onion does open there, we need lots of volunteers to watch it every day (during daylight hours), armed with cameras.
Watching out for a beautiful half-naked girl? Isn't that called stalking?

No Glass Onion boutique. But as has been mentioned above there was a Glass Onion pub. Opened in 2012 but renamed "O Brien's" more recently.

They are a bit further up Matthew Street. Number 20. Same side of the road as the original Cavern Club entrance, though.

Looking at the frontage it's hard to think that somebody might confuse it with a boutique. But maybe. It had a prominent sign.

glassonion.jpg

Certainly the kind of establishment a girl with a tribal tattoo and an lip piercing would not look out of place in...

Watching out for a beautiful half-naked girl? Isn't that called stalking?

No, stalking is when you focus your attentions on one specific particular beautiful half-naked girl.

Focusing your attentions on all half naked beautiful girls is called being a pervert.

There is a subtle difference ... um ... allegedly

Thanks, Curiousident. Possibly, although I still think it looks very much like a pub rather than a boutique.

No, stalking is when you focus your attentions on one specific particular beautiful half-naked girl.

Focusing your attentions on all half naked beautiful girls is called being a pervert.

There is a subtle difference ... um ... allegedly
I'm afraid there must be a lot of perverts around then..

Thanks, Curiousident. Possibly, although I still think it looks very much like a pub rather than a boutique.

It really does. Although it does have (or rather HAD) a very prominent sign. Gone now, of course. It's "O Brien's" today.

Of course if it WAS the pub which Roy saw? Then his point of slipping forward in time has probably passed. As it was only The Glass Onion for a few years and is no longer.

Unless another store opens up by that name of course. It's hard to ascertain from Slemen's recounting of it as to where Roy saw that 'boutique'. Did he mean it was part of the shopping centre?

As far as I've been able to find (and not being a resident I cannot say beyond a LOT of online searching) Cavern Walks doesn't appear to have had a store by that name, and is principally set back from the street itself on the whole. There's an entrance on Mathew Street, and at least one lot with a store frontage visible on the street, but that's about it.

It really does. Although it does have (or rather HAD) a very prominent sign. Gone now, of course. It's "O Brien's" today.

Of course if it WAS the pub which Roy saw? Then his point of slipping forward in time has probably passed. As it was only The Glass Onion for a few years and is no longer.

Unless another store opens up by that name of course. It's hard to ascertain from Slemen's recounting of it as to where Roy saw that 'boutique'. Did he mean it was part of the shopping centre?

As far as I've been able to find (and not being a resident I cannot say beyond a LOT of online searching) Cavern Walks doesn't appear to have had a store by that name, and is principally set back from the street itself on the whole. There's an entrance on Mathew Street, and at least one lot with a store frontage visible on the street, but that's about it.
As there seem to be several shops/pubs etc in the centre of Liverpool now with the Glass Onion name, maybe it's only a matter of time before a boutique -- possibly the boutique -- makes an appearance. Online searching can tell you a lot, although the Google Earth info is usually a few years out of date, but it does really need someone who is often physically in that area to keep us posted on developments.

im working 3 days a week in liverpool at the moment and probably through 2018 ... less than convinced by the full account as presented, something about the lip ring (obviously anachronistic at the reported time of the event but not the time of the first report) and likewise the conveniently named establishment grates on me

i did ask a cabbie earlier today who indicated the cavern hadnt relocated per se, but had lost a part of the original building to redevelopment however had been re architected at the original location

im working 3 days a week in liverpool at the moment and probably through 2018 ... less than convinced by the full account as presented, something about the lip ring (obviously anachronistic at the reported time of the event but not the time of the first report) and likewise the conveniently named establishment grates on me

i did ask a cabbie earlier today who indicated the cavern hadnt relocated per se, but had lost a part of the original building to redevelopment however had been re architected at the original location

Yes, it's not totally convincing, knowing the full name of the witness would help. But unfortunately a lot of people don't want their names published in these circumstances. Still worth keeping an eye on the street, though!

if theres a localised cluster can the locations be mapped

if theres a localised cluster can the locations be mapped
Yes, a year or two ago someone on FT (with a knowledge of advanced computing and mapping) helped me prepare a map based on around 30 cases, but since then I have got info on quite a few more cases so I shall try to update it. There is a notable cluster centered on Bold Street, but plenty of cases lie farther away.

As there seem to be several shops/pubs etc in the centre of Liverpool now with the Glass Onion name, maybe it's only a matter of time before a boutique -- possibly the boutique -- makes an appearance. Online searching can tell you a lot, although the Google Earth info is usually a few years out of date, but it does really need someone who is often physically in that area to keep us posted on developments.

Agreed. I'd offer, but I'm only up in that neck of the woods every couple of months. And then more on the Wirral/Cheshire side of the Mersey.

Liverpool has changed a LOT in the past 15 years. The entire City Centre has changed its focus and layout dramatically since the European Capital of Culture tenure.

Back in the 90s Cavern Walks was a big deal as a shopping centre. These days, with the Liverpool ONE redevelopment, Mathew Street is a little more out of the way from the main hub of the shopping district.

It probably not surprising then that there are a lot of empty lots in Cavern Walks, right now.

Yes. That's how I understood it too. The modern venue also has a 'Cavern Pub' at ground level, on the opposite side of the road, which sometimes confuses people. But looking at google streetview:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4...4!1spsP2mC-Sh0La49-xbwEW2w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There are two entrances on the one side of Mathew Street, with the entrance to Cavern Walks between the two.

When the original club closed, back in the early 70s, it was because Merseyrail had compulsory purchased the area to build a ventilation shaft for the underground rail loop.

They bulldozed the warehouses around the Cavern (which was always - as the name suggests - a below street level venue) and filled in the entrance stairs. I'm pretty sure that the original entrance was bulldozed.

Then they decided to build the shaft elsewhere...

So when the early 80s arrived, and people realised that maybe there was mileage in celebrating Merseybeat and the Beatles, they wanted to bring the Cavern Club back. After all it it was theoretically still there.

Only when they dug out the entrance they found that leveling that area had left the caverns themselves structurally unstable. It's not like they had intended to preserve it a decade earlier, and the demolition work above had damaged the structure.

So what we have today is a very faithful recreation. They took the bricks and pillars from the original, moved it all a little further to one side, and rebuilt it. The modern club stands on about 75% of the original site. But it does now *stand*. :)

If you are in the area Henry, and you have the time, I'm sure we'd all love to get your take on it.

If you are in the area Henry, and you have the time, I'm sure we'd all love to get your take on it.
im there tomorrow ... the difficulty is, i cant really stand the beatles, and youre asking me to hang out on mathew street, take photos of the cavern etc

Back