• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

I was just reading a Guardian article about a Gettysburg ghost tour which includes this anecdote:

"One night, in the 1980s, two college administrators left together after working late. The elevator delivered them not to the first floor, but to the basement. There, the doors opened on to a grisly, civil war-era scene: bleeding patients, harried orderlies, a surgeon preparing to saw off a man’s arm. When the elevator finally delivered them to the lobby, they ran to the security guard for help. But when he surveyed the basement, it was pristine and quiet, exactly as it should be."

Sounds like a potential time slip to me!
Gettysburg seems to be jammed full of ghosts and ACW forums filled with vids and photos of them.

the Reddit Glitch in the Matrix forums

Dodgy though. On there you find allegedly true stories, made-up stories that are passed off as true and straight fiction. I personally enjoy it as entertainment rather than expecting to read something really paranormal.

There was a case in Liverpool where an unhappy man, recently bereaved, found himself back in the 1960s -- he asked to be allowed to stay but they wouldn't let him!
I'm getting old - I see everything in triplicate.

The message refused to send ( it seemed) so I tried a couple more times and then the internet packed up completely for the rest of the evening. Don't worry, you're not getting old -- I am.

Duplicate posts removed from view.

Dodgy though. On there you find allegedly true stories, made-up stories that are passed off as true and straight fiction. I personally enjoy it as entertainment rather than expecting to read something really paranormal.

I think that's generally my main and only complaint with Reddit. Creepasta sits neatly beside people's genuine testimonies, and other's creative writing projects alongside those too. Nobody really seems to feel they shouldn't, or that there should be any kind of dividing lines between the 3.

Reddit is great for a lot of things. If I want to find out the secrets of a videogame or to speculate about a TV show's next plot arc it's a great place to start. But you do have to take a lot of things you find with a pretty liberal pinch of salt.

But it's the same with any source, of course. It's healthy to consider how reliable it is. If its been published in a source known to be a bit creative with the truth (Daily Mail, conspiracy theorist blog, National Enquirer... ;) ) then it probably isn't going to be 100% reliable even at the best of times.

I think that's generally my main and only complaint with Reddit. Creepasta sits neatly beside people's genuine testimonies, and other's creative writing projects alongside those too. Nobody really seems to feel they shouldn't, or that there should be any kind of dividing lines between the 3.

Reddit is great for a lot of things. If I want to find out the secrets of a videogame or to speculate about a TV show's next plot arc it's a great place to start. But you do have to take a lot of things you find with a pretty liberal pinch of salt.

But it's the same with any source, of course. It's healthy to consider how reliable it is. If its been published in a source known to be a bit creative with the truth (Daily Mail, conspiracy theorist blog, National Enquirer... ;) ) then it probably isn't going to be 100% reliable even at the best of times.
I do find the Glitch in the Matrix thread excellent -- the creative writers usually stand out (they can spell, for one thing) and the genuine cases always provide food for thought. Most of the rest are either easily explainable or so confusing that one can't tell what allegedly happened -- or involve smartphones or other fancy equipment that (in my experience) always go weird at times.

Welcome back, everyone.

Looks like everything has survived the move. Images and all.

However... here's the Master Post for all the individual reports within this thread:

Time Slip Reports - Master Post

One thing you will notice (if you're looking hard enough) is that the links on it are all pointing to the late FTMB.

Granted, right now everything is is being automatically parsed and forwarded to the equivalent page within the new FMB (if that's how we're now abbreviating it). But that may not always be so.

So I'm going to go through each of these and make sure the links now tally with the new forum's URLs natively. To minimise the chances of their becoming broken links later on.

EDIT: Done. Pedantry satisfied. Links updated. All is right with my brain. I think.

Last edited:
Thanks for pitching in and updating the links. We're aware of the need to globally update within-forum links to reflect the same forum's new / different location.

Thanks for pitching in and updating the links. We're aware of the need to globally update within-forum links to reflect the same forum's new / different location.

No problem. It was something I had anticipated (largely because I knew how many posts within the thread I'd linked back to from that Master Post). I expected them all to be dead links which I'd need to correct.

Helpfully, they weren't. Because they forwarded to the equivalent page here. But I've changed them anyway in way of future-proofing.

Likewise some of the reports directed to board member profiles. I've updated those too, to match.

When I worked as a cashier I wasn't in a time slip, but I still ended up accepting a variety of foreign coins instead of the proper UK ones. I would say I more often accepted them automatically than spotted them during the interaction. Afterwards, when counting up, the difference was more noticeable.

I did find a 1964 half pence when doing up our tills the other day. No entirely sure how that got back out there.

I did find a 1964 half pence when doing up our tills the other day. No entirely sure how that got back out there.

You'd be surprised how easy it is for that to happen. All you need is one pensioner, who's dug up some change from somewhere long forgotten in their house, to hand you one coin amongst a bulk of shrapnel and you miss it.

We tend to pay so much less interested in copper coins in particular these days.

Welcome back, everyone.

Looks like everything has survived the move. Images and all.

However... here's the Master Post for all the individual reports within this thread:

Time Slip Reports - Master Post

One thing you will notice (if you're looking hard enough) is that the links on it are all pointing to the late FTMB.

Granted, right now everything is is being automatically parsed and forwarded to the equivalent page within the new FMB (if that's how we're now abbreviating it). But that may not always be so.

So I'm going to go through each of these and make sure the links now tally with the new forum's URLs natively. To minimise the chances of their becoming broken links later on.

EDIT: Done. Pedantry satisfied. Links updated. All is right with my brain. I think.
I had no idea it was up and running -- whenever I have clicked my shortcut to forteana I get the same message saying that things will be sorted out by last weekend! I only got here because there was a link in the email notification. How would someone get back on the new FMB if they haven't received such a link?

I had no idea it was up and running -- whenever I have clicked my shortcut to forteana I get the same message saying that things will be sorted out by last weekend! I only got here because there was a link in the email notification. How would someone get back on the new FMB if they haven't received such a link?

Curious. Maybe the page was cached. Presumably that's now sorted. As you were able to sign in and post.

If anybody went to the old FTMB link I believe they'd get forwarded to the index page for here.

Apologies if this has already been posted, but my quick search didn't find it.

This is the account of a classic timeslip from the 50's by a man and wife - the Bartons, in the village of Wotton in Surrey.

"In the summer of 1954, Eric Barton and his wife Irina felt the need for a brief holiday. Both were feeling generally tired and stressed by life, and thought a bus trip to the country would revive them. They missed their intended stop, and wound up riding to the small village of Wotton Hatch, most famous for being the birthplace of famed diarist and gossip John Evelyn. Since they were there, the Bartons decided to examine the Evelyn family church, named after St. John the Evangelist.

When the couple left the churchyard, they turned to the right, where they found themselves on a badly overgrown path flanked by high, unkempt bushes. The Bartons followed this path uphill to a clearing with a wooden bench. They sat down there to eat their lunch and enjoy the view of the valley below. In the distance, they heard the sounds of someone chopping wood, birds singing, and a dog barking. Otherwise, all was quiet. It all should have been an idyllically peaceful and soothing atmosphere, but for some reason they couldn't identify, the Bartons were ill-at-ease. They had a strange sense of something being "off."

And then suddenly, these bucolic sounds ceased, and a peculiar hush fell over the scene. An icy terror crept over Mrs. Barton. She knew that things were very wrong indeed, but she still could not say how. Then three men wearing what looked like clerical garb entered the clearing behind her. Although she had her back to them, she somehow just "knew" they were there. One looked friendly, but the other two, in Irina's words, seemed to "radiate hatred and hostility." She wanted to get away, but stayed frozen in place, unable to move. Then the feeling of fear abruptly passed. The men vanished. Eric noticed that Irina's arm felt icy cold, like that of a corpse.

The pair quickly left what felt like an accursed spot, but they found themselves suffering from weakness and mental confusion. After staggering off, the Bartons collapsed on the grass, unconscious. After a period of time they found themselves in Dorking, without being able to remember how they got there. They thankfully took the train back home to Battersea.

Irina remained haunted by her experience. Two years later, she returned to Wotton Hatch, curious if she could recreate the inexplicable events of that day. She tried following the same path she and Eric had taken from the churchyard...only to find that the landscape had completely changed. There was no overgrown path, no hill, no clearing, no wooden seat. According to a local woodman, there had been none of these features on the estate in living memory. Eric revisited the area himself, and confirmed that it was completely different from what they had seen.

At this point, the Bartons realized that things were getting seriously weird. They contacted the Society of Psychical Research, but due to some bureaucratic confusion, their report was overlooked. In 1973, they repeated their story to solicitor and SPR member Mary Rose Barrington, who delivered a paper about the Bartons to the Society in the following years. Barrington researched the area around the Wotton church, and was able to verify that the hill and bench described by the Bartons did not exist, and, as far as anyone knew, never had been there. However, Barrington found an intriguing entry in John Evelyn's diary for March 15, 1696. He wrote of the recent execution of "three wretches," one of whom had been a priest, for the crime of attempting to assassinate King William. The men were hanged at a location matching that of the now-vanished landscape observed by Eric and Irina Barton.

Were these the three sinister men observed by Irina Barton? And did the Bartons indeed visit the area around Wotton Hatch churchyard...but only as it had existed in the late 17th century?"

http://strangeco.blogspot.com/2018/09/funny-how-time-slips-away-at-wotton.html

interesting but it reads as neither of them actually saw anything anachronistic

interesting but it reads as neither of them actually saw anything anachronistic
It is an odd case, not like the "normal" time slip nor haunting. The physical effects upon both were striking and similar to those observed around Bury where the energies seem strong.

It is an odd case, not like the "normal" time slip nor haunting. The physical effects upon both were striking and similar to those observed around Bury where the energies seem strong.

Agreed. It's the classic feeling of unreality, with normal sounds suddenly stopping, that I believe Jenny Randles refers to as the Oz factor.

account indicates the woman had a mental image of the three, husband saw nothing ?

account indicates the woman had a mental image of the three, husband saw nothing ?

But both experienced the Oz factor (unnatural silence and feelings of unreality) and the secondary meaning of a time slip - namely having travelled several miles to Dorking, without being aware of any transit time.

reads more like an alien abduction ... or an old couple who couldnt keep track of their whereabouts, felt a little out of sorts

That's correct. Mrs. Barton alone had a mental vision of 3 figures behind her. She never viewed the 3 figures directly (externally) because she felt 'paralysed' and unable to turn around and confirm their presence.

The popular account of their story cited above is from a blog. The blog got the story from Brennan's Time Travel: A New Perspective. Brennan got it from Colin Wilson's Beyond the Occult. Here's Wilson's seminal version of the story ...

In the summer of 1954 a couple who prefer to be known as Mr and Mrs Allan set out for a day in the
country. Both had been overworking recently, and they badly needed a break. They woke up feeling oddly
depressed, although neither mentioned this to the other. They took a bus in Dorking, but went past their
stop and alighted at Wotton Hatch, near the village of Wotton, birthplace of diarist John Evelyn. Instead of
walking back they decided to go and look at the Evelyn family church. And when they finally came out of
the churchyard they turned right and found themselves facing an overgrown path with high bushes on either
side. It led uphill to a clearing with a wooden seat. There they had a view over the valley, and they
decided to sit down and eat their sandwiches. They could hear the sound of a dog barking, and someone
chopping wood. But Mrs Allan felt oddly uneasy.

Suddenly a silence descended and the birdsong ceased. Mrs Allan was overcome by a sense of
foreboding and went icy cold. At that moment she became aware that three men had entered the clearing
behind her: although she had her back to them she could ‘see’ them quite clearly. All three wore what
looked like clerical garb. The man in the middle had a round, friendly face, but the other two seemed to
‘radiate hatred and hostility’. When Mrs Allan tried to turn round she found she was paralysed and unable
to move. Then the experience passed. She asked her husband if it had gone cold, and he touched her arm
and said she felt like a corpse. They got up and left hastily. Neither is clear about what happened next
except that at some point, they fell asleep on the grass. Then they found themselves in Dorking, both in a
state of confusion and unable to remember clearly how they got there. They took the train home for
Battersea.

Back