• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

The very specific wallpaper is a very strange thing to make up if you were telling porkies isn't it. Why not a more generic kids wallpaper? I'm not sure when exactly the event happened but the story got told to my mum around 2000, so a few years before that probably, which means Pocahontas could well have been a thing for kids then. Not sure of the layout of these houses either I'm afraid.

I was hoping my mum would remember more details, but she'd forgotten it totally. I was wondering if someone was just spinning her a well known FOAF story, but a quick Google last night didn't come up with anything. A strange tale. :)

The very specific wallpaper is a very strange thing to make up if you were telling porkies isn't it. Why not a more generic kids wallpaper? I'm not sure when exactly the event happened but the story got told to my mum around 2000, so a few years before that probably, which means Pocahontas could well have been a thing for kids then. Not sure of the layout of these houses either I'm afraid.

I was hoping my mum would remember more details, but she'd forgotten it totally. I was wondering if someone was just spinning her a well known FOAF story, but a quick Google last night didn't come up with anything. A strange tale. :)

Tis indeed strange, and thanks for clarifying the timeline, it definitely does fit. It's not a story I've "heard of" either whilst perusing stuff online; but I tend to believe more in these random, seemingly mundane, stories anyway... you know? They're more believable because they're so... well, differently odd yet un-embellished.

:)

In the context of many similar ghostly or glitchy events it isn't an especially dramatic tale, but I can't see any reason why we should question it. Could even be a time slip case. I must admit that the element that interests me is the reaction of your mother. Forgetting strange incidents, even when you are directly involved in them, does happen quite frequently. Maybe because they don't fit into some people's world view, or because some internal censor actively suppresses them, they seem to drop out of memory unusually quickly.

Do you recall the name of your mum's friend or could you locate it -- and him -- and get a personal account?

Do you recall the name of your mum's friend or could you locate it -- and him -- and get a personal account?

I'll try and get her to remember, or at least ask around her friends again. I was a bit disappointed that she didn't recall the story at all, which made me doubt my memory of it and although I could remember the story well, I don't think I ever knew exactly who it happened to. I guess that's 'getting old' for you, her and me ;)

He's at the Peter Haining end of reliability as a source.
Initially he was a good researcher and some of the cases in his earlier books are well handled and assessed. But I think that committing himself to producing over 30 books led him to include some very dubious material by the time he got to the 20s.

I was googling the Cavern Club in Liverpool and came across this in the Liverpool Echo - which reminded me of the other time-slip Cavern story I read here.

At some time in November 1963, possibly just before the day JFK was assassinated, a promoter and a businessman were at the Cavern. Jimmy Tarbuck had done a stand-up comedy routine, and had been supported by a group known as Vic and the Spidermen.
Some time after the show, several people saw a green glowing light appear, and a businessman, who had been sitting in a corner, sipping a Coca Cola, saw a bizarre-looking figure appear in the green glare – an outlandishly-dressed girl with pink hair, a type of mini-skirt, black stockings and workman’s boots. Her midriff was visible because she was wearing a revealing crop-top, and her bare lower back was adorned with some sort of oriental tattoo.
This eccentric young lady had her hands clasped together and her eyes were closed as if she was in prayer. A promoter turned when the businessman cried out to him, and he got the closest view of the girl in the green light. He saw she had a ring in her nose and what was possibly a piercing in her bottom lip. A third person saw what was taken to be a ghost, and then, about 10 seconds after she appeared, the girl and the green luminescence vanished in an instant.
The three men told no one else what they had seen, as they knew no one would believe them, and not long afterwards, the worrying news of President Kennedy’s assassination soon eclipsed the memory of the strange ghostly girl, but decades later, one of these men later told me that he thought he had somehow seen a girl from some thirty or forty years away in the future – but why and how remains an inexplicable mystery.

Again it seems like someone seeing a contemporary female from around about now or earlier which at the time would seem futuristic.

There certainly seems to be some similarities with that other Cavern Club timeslip account which Sleman has recounted before. https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/time-or-dimensional-slips.13755/page-31#post-1738925

In that instance (again 1960s) the slip occurred outside the Club and referenced seeing the (yet to be built by several decades) Cavern Walks shopping center and a girl with a lip piercing and tribal tattoo on her hand was involved.

As always Tom Slemen will probably be be taken with a pinch of salt, but I would not disregard his stuff 100%.

I've been umming and ahhing for ages whether to post this or not (and if it belongs here or 'ghosts'). About 20 years ago I started a local ghosts and legends website. Word got around I was collecting stories and I swear this tale was told to my mum by one of her friends. I can even remember the name of the road they said it occurred in. However, when I asked my mum last night she couldn't remember it at all, so...

Anyway, the story goes like this. A friend of my mum was visiting someone's house for a meeting. At the end of the meeting they asked if they could use the toilet before they left and the householder said fine, it's upstairs. The bloke popped upstairs but wasn't sure which door the loo was in so tried the door he thought was right, but when he got into the room he found it was a child's bedroom decorated with Disney Pocahontas wallpaper and that there was a young girl sat in bed reading a book. He apologised for disturbing her and quickly shut the door.

When he got back downstairs he spoke to the owners and said sorry for disturbing their daughter, only they then said they didn't have any children. The chap was quite taken aback and mentioned the Pocahontas wallpaper but the householders took him upstairs again to the room only to find it was their 'office' room, no sign of any children or the cartoon wallpaper. The people then said that the family who lived there before them had a young daughter who had died very suddenly in the house.

This happened in a small West Berkshire town, on the otherwise unremarkable 1970s built estate I grew up on. Good story but is it true or have I imagined the whole thing? :)

Well, I guess only you can answer if you imagined it or not, but thank you for sharing.

As this thread's resident pedant, would you mind if asked you a few questions in relation to this? :)

So you started your site about 20 years ago, but I'm presuming this actually happened prior to that? Any idea of how many years prior? You have specific details such as the Pocahontas Wallpaper. Which would (if we are to entertain the notion that this is a timeslip case) help to identify a timescale. Disney's Pocahontas came out (quick check) in 1995. So that is the kind of detail which could help to identify things.

Do you have any idea how long had passed between the (at that point current owners) and the previous ones?

And what town in West Berkshire? I'm curious to know.

Hi CuriousIdent :)

I was at my mum's house last week and she still couldn't remember telling me the story or who it might have happened to, so I'm wondering if it was one that was submitted to my ghost website back then (alas, I don't think I have any backups of it or the emails I received back then). Strange that they gave the road though if so, and that it had been so close to where I was living.

This would have been around 2000 to 2002. I'm afraid I've no idea when the actual timeslip event took place, but I'd assumed it had been reasonably recent. The film hadn't been out all that long and I can't see anyone having Pocahontas wallpaper prior to that, so we're kind of squashed for time between the different people living there.

The event took place in a place called Thatcham, which is a small town just east of Newbury. I know I didn't run the story on my website back then as I felt it was all a bit recent. Was someone pulling my leg? It's a cool story, and certainly one that has stuck with me longer than most I heard around that time.

He is on Twitter. If you aren't on there yourself I can put any questions to him on your behalf if you like.
No, I don't understand all that Twitter business -- I had to use it once when I had a problem with my Blackberry phone, and apparently you can only send messages there a few words long! I think I would have too many detailed questions to put to him... Thanks for the idea though.

No, I don't understand all that Twitter business -- I had to use it once when I had a problem with my Blackberry phone, and apparently you can only send messages there a few words long! I think I would have too many detailed questions to put to him... Thanks for the idea though.

You can send longer private messages too, but I know what I'll do, I'll ask him if he has an email address you can contact him at and see what he says.

You can send longer private messages too, but I know what I'll do, I'll ask him if he has an email address you can contact him at and see what he says.
Worth trying -- if he's not interested, that would be itself interesting.. Thanks again.

No problem... I have wondered myself how he collects his stories when he isn't easily contactable online.
It seems to me that he is no longer actively investigating anything, although at least when he was active he collected a lot more cases than the Parascience group.

It seems to me that he is no longer actively investigating anything, although at least when he was active he collected a lot more cases than the Parascience group.
Carl:
Enid Coleslaw posted this message to you as a Profile Post rather than a PM ...

Enid Coleslaw Carl Grove Enid Coleslaw wrote on Carl Grove's profile. Today at 3:00 PM
Hi Carl, Mr Slemen has just replied to my query and he says the best way to contact him is via [email protected]. I'd be interested in any correspondence you have with him!

I too would be genuinely interested to hear from Mr Slemen. The 3 examples of his that we've seen on this thread certainly tell an interesting story. I'm sure we all have a few questions.

It was certainly one of the strangest things that has ever happened to me. And I don't think I'm particularly prone to Fortean phenomena.

The "hoverbus" story sounds intruiging. I also remember reading an account in the Unexplained of a family who were driving on a motorway when on the other side of the barrier, in the opposite direction, they saw a similar type of hovering vehicle with people looking at them from the windows with an alarmed expression on their faces.

One of the best accounts I've read was about a guy who was shopping in Liverpool with his wife I think. She'd just gone into a shop, or something and he suddenly became aware that his environment had changed and he found himself standing in the same street as it appeared several years previously.
His story was reported in a local paper and it turned out that several other people had had a similar experience in the same street.

I must look for this somewhere...

Perhaps we should start another thread as this has strayed out of the realms of ULs now!

"Talk about time-slips... " that's a bit of a coincidence!
I'd just started to read through your post ten minutes ago, (as above) then suddenly the penny dropped ~ 'BOLD STREET,' it was on last night's TV.
'In Search Of' (Channel 63) Blaze @ 9:00 O'clock. (repeat)

"Talk about time-slips... " that's a bit of a coincidence!
I'd just started to read through your post ten minutes ago, (as above) then suddenly the penny dropped ~ 'BOLD STREET,' it was on last night's TV.
'In Search Of' (Channel 63) Blaze @ 9:00 O'clock. (repeat)
Was it actually dealing with the time slip cases? Maybe they'll be repeating it some time.

I viewed that programme and it was quite interesting. The very serious gentleman describing a secret DARPA time travelling project sounded disturbingly genuine, although it is probably disinformation. The section on time slips was limited to the Liverpool cases and wasn't very good. The two Parascience people never actually quoted any specific cases (they claim to have info on 100 cases but on their site just describe 5 incidents plus what seems more like a conventional ghost case). They seem more interested in promoting the infrasound theory than collecting data. Slemen was not interviewed or even mentioned.

I viewed that programme and it was quite interesting. The very serious gentleman describing a secret DARPA time travelling project sounded disturbingly genuine, although it is probably disinformation. The section on time slips was limited to the Liverpool cases and wasn't very good. The two Parascience people never actually quoted any specific cases (they claim to have info on 100 cases but on their site just describe 5 incidents plus what seems more like a conventional ghost case). They seem more interested in promoting the infrasound theory than collecting data. Slemen was not interviewed or even mentioned.

A shame. It does frustrate me when people settle on one theory (especially one which doesn't have a grounding in anything quantifiable) and start to block out testimony. Ultimately if we are to believe that Time Slips are a genuine, plausible, phenomenon, they are definitely one which cannot currently be quantified or explained by science, today.

If they could be (without any reasonable doubt) then they would have been.

So all that truly can be done is to lay people's personal experiences out in detail, question and investigate as thoroughly as possible, on the off-chance that at some later date we see a pattern.

Regardless of what that pattern may eventually be. :)

A shame. It does frustrate me when people settle on one theory (especially one which doesn't have a grounding in anything quantifiable) and start to block out testimony. Ultimately if we are to believe that Time Slips are a genuine, plausible, phenomenon, they are definitely one which cannot currently be quantified or explained by science, today.

If they could be (without any reasonable doubt) then they would have been.

So all that truly can be done is to lay people's personal experiences out in detail, question and investigate as thoroughly as possible, on the off-chance that at some later date we see a pattern.

Regardless of what that pattern may eventually be. :)
That's the best summing-up I've seen, and I agree totally. Belief is the enemy, as John Keel wisely said -- people can't discipline themselves to avoid picking a favourite theory, and just collect and sift the data and see what emerges.

True, but it's pretty pioneering to have the first 'serious' synth rock number one in the UK singles chart nonetheless.
Very interesting account, but "pioneer of electronic music" oh perlease!
He hadn't even been born when the pioneers of musique concrete started their experimentation, and was barely out of short trousers when the Krautrock pioneers picked up the baton!

Back