• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

My problem with Liverpool timeslips or whatever else Slemen reports is that he just can't be believed. Anything he has a hand in is dodgy.
As I explained I think it is useful to check into the alleged witnesses, in cases where Slemen actually names names and even gives ages. If I can confirm that the alleged witness does indeed exist, that counts for a lot, because if Slemen is deliberately making up all his cases he would be inviting the named persons to come forward and denounce him, and as far as I know that has never happened. Most of the cases where I can confirm witnesses are less elaborate, less extreme, and lack the obviously made-up dialogue. One good example, where Slemen names a whole family who allegedly saw a dinosaur, fails to support any of the names. We know he is known as the lIverpool paranormal expert and must receive a lot of entirely genuine reports, which he would of course publish in his books. So we would expect a mix of genuine and obviously (often ridiculously) made up yarns. Parascience, who are on the spot, seem to have made no efforts to check on his named witnesses and their stories, even in cases like the Mothercare incident where a little digging might identify people who allegedly interacted with the witness. Liverpool really needs a small but very competent group of researchers on the spot and ready to respond to any new reports.

There may, of course, be time slips that nobody realises was a time slip. If you are walking across a field and feel a bit 'funny' for a moment, who's to say you haven't just slipped several years into the past or future? If there are no corroborating landmarks to appear or vanish, if the landscape is just verdant hills, which don't change much over the years?

Ditto ghosts. Any person you pass at a distance on any day, may not be there at all.
Absolutely, and very often people have time slips without any "funny" feelings at all.

As I explained I think it is useful to check into the alleged witnesses, in cases where Slemen actually names names and even gives ages. If I can confirm that the alleged witness does indeed exist, that counts for a lot, because if Slemen is deliberately making up all his cases he would be inviting the named persons to come forward and denounce him, and as far as I know that has never happened. Most of the cases where I can confirm witnesses are less elaborate, less extreme, and lack the obviously made-up dialogue. One good example, where Slemen names a whole family who allegedly saw a dinosaur, fails to support any of the names. We know he is known as the lIverpool paranormal expert and must receive a lot of entirely genuine reports, which he would of course publish in his books. So we would expect a mix of genuine and obviously (often ridiculously) made up yarns. Parascience, who are on the spot, seem to have made no efforts to check on his named witnesses and their stories, even in cases like the Mothercare incident where a little digging might identify people who allegedly interacted with the witness. Liverpool really needs a small but very competent group of researchers on the spot and ready to respond to any new reports.
One doesn't expect to have to check whether everything one reads is true or not.
As a writer of ostensibly true events, Slemen himself should be weeding out the obvious hoaxes and tall stories or at least warning the reader about them. That's the honest thing to do.

He's been caught making things up and passing off known yarns as the truth. No time for him.

I think time slips could account for lots of odd sightings maybe UFO's are from
the future and ghosts the passed, if you can see them can they see you in their
time? is this were the out of time photos come from that you see on the net?
:omr:
One Slemen case, where a young man back in the 60s was given a dodgy purple heart tablet and then found himself in a futuristic version of Liverpool where he was helped by a young girl with outrageous clothing, has been mentioned on this thread before, I'll see if I can find where.

Another one is one of those doppelganger cases, similar to Goethe@s famous one:

I’ve had lots of spooky encounters since the age of 6 when my beloved Grandad passed away, I was the
apple of his eye, far too many to mention as it was 54 years ago.
I’ve had 2 time lapses, once at the age of 9...
When I was a child in Liverpool, my Dad would take me and my sis over the water to a seaside place called
Moreton, it was a long journey.
It was a glorious summer’s day and I sat alone on one side of the bus as they talked on the other side I leant
my head on the window daydreaming.
Then a flash of forked lightning hit the pavement, then it lashed it down and started thundering.
I saw a woman running with a weird pram with 2 seats either side and she put on these red capes to cover
the small children just then she looked up at me on the bus and I was shocked.
So looked over to my Dad and sis, it was so sunny on their side, I asked him if it had been thundering he told
me no and I told him what I had seen.
I married and lived on the Wirral, I had 2 children and my father-in-law gave me the money to get a double
buggy in 1980 from a well to do shop in Liverpool.
The assistant asked did I want the red capes to go with the buggy. It was a new Maclaren, only just came
out.
I went to a super market, as I passed a certain place a flash of forked lightning almost hit me I quickly
covered the kids in their capes and started running for home.
I then heard the swish of bus tyres in the torrential rain, I stopped and looked up, I didn’t know why but there
looking at me was me aged 9.
I couldn’t get home quick enough I rushed in and phoned Dad in Liverpool asking him can he recall the day
in 1963 he did.

There may, of course, be time slips that nobody realises was a time slip. If you are walking across a field and feel a bit 'funny' for a moment, who's to say you haven't just slipped several years into the past or future? If there are no corroborating landmarks to appear or vanish...
Puts me in mind of the Red Dwarf episode in which they get a time drive.
Our heroes are out in the middle of nowhere in deep space, and engage the time drive to send themselves back to the year 1421.
Lister says something like "Everything is the same....we're in the same place!"
And Kryten says "Yes, we're in the same place, but in 1421" or words to that effect.
I'll find the relevant clip.

There may, of course, be time slips that nobody realises was a time slip. If you are walking across a field and feel a bit 'funny' for a moment, who's to say you haven't just slipped several years into the past or future? If there are no corroborating landmarks to appear or vanish, if the landscape is just verdant hills, which don't change much over the years?

Might that be the origin of people reporting being 'pixie-led'? If they suddenly find themselves in a landscape that looks the same but has different paths than they'd remembered.

Glitch in the Matrix is my favourite bit. Although there aren’t too many time slips on Reddit or I haven’t found them.
There are usually one or two most days that could be so interpreted. I actually started looking at the Reddit forum because I came to the conclusion that the only way to explain time slips was the simulation theory.

One Slemen case, where a young man back in the 60s was given a dodgy purple heart tablet and then found himself in a futuristic version of Liverpool where he was helped by a young girl with outrageous clothing, has been mentioned on this thread before, I'll see if I can find where.

I’ve had lots of spooky encounters since the age of 6 when my beloved Grandad passed away, I was the
When I was a child in Liverpool, my Dad would take me and my sis over the water to a seaside place called
It was a glorious summer’s day and I sat alone on one side of the bus as they talked on the other side I leant
Then a flash of forked lightning hit the pavement, then it lashed it down and started thundering.
I saw a woman running with a weird pram with 2 seats either side and she put on these red capes to cover
So looked over to my Dad and sis, it was so sunny on their side, I asked him if it had been thundering he told
I married and lived on the Wirral, I had 2 children and my father-in-law gave me the money to get a double
The assistant asked did I want the red capes to go with the buggy. It was a new Maclaren, only just came
out.
I went to a super market, as I passed a certain place a flash of forked lightning almost hit me I quickly
I then heard the swish of bus tyres in the torrential rain, I stopped and looked up, I didn’t know why but there
I couldn’t get home quick enough I rushed in and phoned Dad in Liverpool asking him can he recall the day
in 1963 he did.
Its funny you mention thunder and lightning as in August 1994 I remember a cracking storm and years later someone mentioned it on the early net that in 1994 in August they had a time slip while it lashed down with thunder and lightening but can't remember what they said...any clues be great.

out.
in 1963 he did.

The above reminded me of an account that I read on a forum somewhere; about a woman seeing her younger self at her mother's house. I've been searching through the links of supernatural threads on forums that I have saved (to the likes of Digital Spy, Mumsnet, etc.) but couldn't find it. :(
I did find this account though on DigitalSpy, that sounds a little too good to be true, but anyway, here it is (from this page, originally posted by a user going by the name 'Dontlookanthea'):

My uncle was filming a documentary in Cornwall sometime back in the 80s. At the end of a day's shooting, he and the rest of the small crew packed up and went looking for a pub so they could unwind and sink a few pints. It was a fine summer evening, with the light just beginning to fade and they came across a pub at the side of a small B road. To their surprise when they entered, the place was heaving with people all seemingly having a great time, although there were no cars parked outside and the pub was in an isolated spot with no other buildings in the immediate vicinity. There was someone playing the piano with people singing along to it, others playing darts and cards and uncle and the crew were warmly greeted, "Hello there! Come on in!" all that kind of thing. The landlord pulled their pints for them and refused to accept payment, saying they were on the house. They all went to sit down and got into an involved discussion about the day's filiming and so forth, all the while people kept stopping by their table and greeting them, bringing drinks and offering cigarettes etc. Every time any member of the group tried to buy any of the customers a drink back, it was waved away with a, "No, no, there's no need to do that!" Obviously they were all well impressed with this level of friendliness to a group of total strangers and they left to return to their hotel after a very convivial couple of hours.

Filming resumed the next day and when lunchtime arrived, uncle suggested that everyone return to the friendly roadside pub in the hope of a pint, a sandwich and returning some of the hospitality given the previous evening. There was one problem though ..... they couldn't find the pub - it simply wasn't there. They drove around and around the location, up and down little roads and lanes in the area where it had been and it had gone. Completely baffled, they retired to a restaurant in a small town and began to talk about the previous evening. They soon began to realise that there had been something 'not quite right' about the pub and its customers. They realised that they had not had any actual physical contact with anyone there as you would expect in a crowded place, bumping into people, brushing past them, inadvertently touching hands and so on. There had also been a distinct lack of any modern trimmings such as fruit machines, electric pumps, a television, a jukebox and .... almost everyone had been in some kind of military uniform. Once filming had ended and uncle returned to Scotland, he did a bit of research and discovered there had been a number of airbases in the general area during WW2.

He's returned to Cornwall on and off in the intervening years and has tried several times since to find the mysterious pub and its friendly customers, all to no avail. He can't to this day explain exactly what it was they experienced that summer evening. If it was a spectral thing, then it's what I'd call a good one!
;)

"The landlord pulled their pints for them and refused to accept payment, saying they were on the house."
"Every time any member of the group tried to buy any of the customers a drink back, it was waved away with a, "No, no, there's no need to do that!"

A neat way to get round the problem of paying for drinks in a wartime pub when you only have 1980s money!

Two time travellers were having a race from one town to the next.
"How will we know who wins?" one asked the other.
"Well that's easy" said the other, "There is a bar in town with a dartboard, and next to the dartboard is a blackboard and chalk"
"So how does that help us?" asked the first.
"Easy" said the other, "If you get there first, chalk your name on the board, if I get there first I'll rub it off!"

"The landlord pulled their pints for them and refused to accept payment, saying they were on the house."
"Every time any member of the group tried to buy any of the customers a drink back, it was waved away with a, "No, no, there's no need to do that!"

A neat way to get round the problem of paying for drinks in a wartime pub when you only have 1980s money!
I was thinking that, it does sound like an old yarn with a nice caveat would be great if true but alas !!!!

But surely, if it HAD been a slip back to the pub near the airbase...at least half of the customers would have been in uniform?

Also I would think that several strangers, presumably at least some of an age when they could be serving in the armed forces but dressed in 'civvies' would have aroused suspicion rather than been greeted with free drinks and so on.

Also I would think that several strangers, presumably at least some of an age when they could be serving in the armed forces but dressed in 'civvies' would have aroused suspicion rather than been greeted with free drinks and so on.
I sometimes wonder though, if what we are talking about are dimensional rather than time slips, whether the inhabitants of the dimension visited might not actually know that the travellers are actually travellers. There's no reason to assume that every inhabitant of every possible dimension (assuming of course that there are a multitude (and potentially an infinite number) of dimensions) is as ignorant of dimensional shifts as we are here in ours.
It could be that there exists in some/many/most other dimensions an understanding that clueless 'travellers' might arrive now and again and that, if they do, they probably won't be around for long, their money is worthless, but that treating them kindly and compassionately is the correct thing to do.
That would account for the above case, and possibly that of Mr Squirrel and his purchased Norfolk coin envelopes, and other cases where money does change hands.

But surely, if it HAD been a slip back to the pub near the airbase...at least half of the customers would have been in uniform?
Yes, in fact the original story said that "most" had been in uniform. It's a pity that we have no means of pinning down exactly where the pub was situated. The comments about no physical contacts with the customers puzzles me, surely you can't hand someone a pint without physical actions, and presumably the beer tasted normal.

Its funny you mention thunder and lightning as in August 1994 I remember a cracking storm and years later someone mentioned it on the early net that in 1994 in August they had a time slip while it lashed down with thunder and lightening but can't remember what they said...any clues be great.
I guess that anything that boosts the general energy level might tend to promote strange events.

Yes, in fact the original story said that "most" had been in uniform. It's a pity that we have no means of pinning down exactly where the pub was situated. The comments about no physical contacts with the customers puzzles me, surely you can't hand someone a pint without physical actions, and presumably the beer tasted normal.
Saying that I would love to visit a time slip pub and wonder how I could get tenancy with one as I hate the ones today.
The Cornish case sounds like something out of Goodnight Sweetheart.

I sometimes wonder though, if what we are talking about are dimensional rather than time slips, whether the inhabitants of the dimension visited might not actually know that the travellers are actually travellers. There's no reason to assume that every inhabitant of every possible dimension (assuming of course that there are a multitude (and potentially an infinite number) of dimensions) is as ignorant of dimensional shifts as we are here in ours.
It could be that there exists in some/many/most other dimensions an understanding that clueless 'travellers' might arrive now and again and that, if they do, they probably won't be around for long, their money is worthless, but that treating them kindly and compassionately is the correct thing to do.
That would account for the above case, and possibly that of Mr Squirrel and his purchased Norfolk coin envelopes, and other cases where money does change hands.

Some great points. I have just read an account in Ruth Roper Wylde's 'These Haunted Times' volume one of a female motorist who came across a delightful cottage by an old airfield in Lincolnshire. She was surprised she hadn't noticed it before but put it down to her being house hunting at that specific time. She noticed that this isolated cottage was for sale but as she reached her destination she couldn't remember the estate agent's name. Accordingly, she drove back to the location at a later and the cottage had vanished. What I found interesting is the 'For Sale' sign must have been a modern one otherwise she would surely have noticed an old, decaying sign and commented on this, as despite being a character property the garden etc was well maintained. So, less of a time slip and more of a dimensional slip....?

As regards the Cornish story, I suppose it is possible they inadvertently gatecrashed a wedding or other celebration with a free bar in whatever time or dimension they found themselves in...?

Some great points. I have just read an account in Ruth Roper Wylde's 'These Haunted Times' volume one of a female motorist who came across a delightful cottage by an old airfield in Lincolnshire. She was surprised she hadn't noticed it before but put it down to her being house hunting at that specific time. She noticed that this isolated cottage was for sale but as she reached her destination she couldn't remember the estate agent's name. Accordingly, she drove back to the location at a later and the cottage had vanished. What I found interesting is the 'For Sale' sign must have been a modern one otherwise she would surely have noticed an old, decaying sign and commented on this, as despite being a character property the garden etc was well maintained. So, less of a time slip and more of a dimensional slip....?

As regards the Cornish story, I suppose it is possible they inadvertently gatecrashed a wedding or other celebration with a free bar in whatever time or dimension they found themselves in...?
Interesting case, actually it could be a time slip, back to a time when the sign was new. Pity that we apparently don't know the exact location, there is a website with historical map data that might help.

Interesting case, actually it could be a time slip, back to a time when the sign was new. Pity that we apparently don't know the exact location, there is a website with historical map data that might help.
The witness provides a very specific location for the phantom cottage but for copyright reasons and respect for Ruth's work I won't post it here, her book is available on Kindle.

Jenny Randles wrote the excellent book 'Time Storms' (2001) about time slips and which included many witness accounts and of which many were personally researched by Jenny. She draws a definite link between thundery weather and reported time slips.

Does anyone know when estate agents 'for sale' boards were first introduced? I did a brief search but could find no answer.

I'm from a Hospitality background and that's my perfect job running a time slipping Public House with the beer free and everyone enjoying themselves....I wonder if it was Moon Under Water.

Back