• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

in those days the OS could only wander around and hope that they'd mapped everything
The OS was originally set up for a specific mapping purpose.
(according to wikibumdia)
Ordnance Survey (OS) is the national mapping agency for Great Britain. The agency's name indicates its original military purpose which was to map Scotland in the wake of the Jacobite rising of 1745. There was also a more general and nationwide need in light of the potential threat of invasion during the Napoleonic Wars.

My knowledge of their methods goes back to my geography lessons when I was at school (I'm now 55 & a 1/2) in which we learnt that soldiers as part of the Ordnance Survey cartographic team would map areas using triangulation and theodolites, thus negating the need for 'wandering around'. Accurate mapping could be created in a short space of time (relatively) over large distances, by a small team armed with a few poles, some small mirrors, and a couple of rudimentary telescopes.
If you go to your local library and ask for historical maps of the area you'll see a marked improvement in accuracy and detail from about the mid 1800's - publication of the one-inch to the mile series of OS maps for Great Britain were completed in 1891.
Previous to that, most local level maps would have been hand-drawn by somebody with knowledge of the local area and as such would be more pictorial in nature than accurately cartographic.
Areas about which little was known (e.g. the thickly wooded areas) would have contained little detail and were likely to carry the oft-quoted "here be dragons".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_Survey#City_and_town_mapping,_19th_and_early_20th_century

It would be good if we could get some recent cases it's not something that seems to be reported that often, mind you I guess as with lot of Fortean phenomena people are reluctant to come forward for fear of being seen as nutters and cranks

It would be good if we could get some recent cases it's not something that seems to be reported that often, mind you I guess as with lot of Fortean phenomena people are reluctant to come forward for fear of being seen as nutters and cranks
Yes I think that’s it. They don’t think they’ll be believed and also I bet there’s a lot of people that just try and explain it away and disbelieve what they saw.

Some quite recent ones in this link:

http://timeslipaccounts.blogspot.com/

Some quite recent ones in this link:

http://timeslipaccounts.blogspot.com/
Thanks for posting this link, has made my evening :)

However, I quickly passed on this one:

“Now, I consider myself a person who has a natural affinity with the paranormal. Growing up, I was accustomed to seeing specters, demons and even a vampire! The paranormal has been a recurring trait in my family (derived from my father’s side who comes from a long-line of psychics and mediums)but the event I experienced makes my other experiences seem redundant.”

Yeah…. right….

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this link, has made my evening :)

However, I quickly passed on this one:

“Now, I consider myself a person who has a natural affinity with the paranormal. Growing up, I was accustomed to seeing specters, demons and even a vampire! The paranormal has been a recurring trait in my family (derived from my father’s side who comes from a long-line of psychics and mediums)but the event I experienced makes my other experiences seem redundant.”

Yeah…. right….
I know exactly what you mean

I went to visit old John yesterday and he told me about a timeslippy happening that had happened to him.

About fifty years ago, he went to his local pub and was talking (as he does, at great length) about football, a match he'd just seen. Apparently he recounted it to his friend, the barman in detail, something to do with Billy Bremner being sent off for doing...something, and the second goal should have been disallowed.... I wasn't completely listening. Then he got to the punch - he went home and the barman rang him later to say he'd just watched the match on TV that John had said he'd already seen. Score, Bremner being sent off, dodgy second goal, everything. It had been played some two hours after John had left the pub.

Now I can think of a few explanations for this, chiefly, as I'm not a football fan, every match looking like pretty much every other match. But the whole experience was clearly weird enough for him to remember it fifty years later, without having a sensible explanation for it. John has all his marbles intact and his memory seems pretty good, so I don't think it's a mix up, although I'm not ruling out the thought that he may have conflated two events. But his recollection was clear and detailed, so I just thought I'd put it here for posterity.

I had an odd experience when I was a kid - I think it was school holidays time and I had moved a portable TV into my bedroom and placed it on a desk at the foot of my bed so I could watch it whilst laying down. So very early one morning I woke up and switched on the TV and I think it was the New York Marathon coming in live from the USA. A New Zealand woman (I forget her name right now but she was quite famous at the time) was leading the pack and crossed the finish line first to much joy from from the local NZ commentators. For whatever reason I switched the TV off and went back to sleep..woke up a couple of hours later and heard a radio news headline that a NZ runner was leading the NY Marathon..switched on the TV and the coverage was just as I had seen it a couple of hours back, although a logo on the screen stated that their live coverage was actually 15 minutes delayed due to technical issues...back in those days there were no rival channels that I could have seen it on previously..so I assumed I dreamed it all or something...

Some great points. I have just read an account in Ruth Roper Wylde's 'These Haunted Times' volume one of a female motorist who came across a delightful cottage by an old airfield in Lincolnshire. She was surprised she hadn't noticed it before but put it down to her being house hunting at that specific time. She noticed that this isolated cottage was for sale but as she reached her destination she couldn't remember the estate agent's name. Accordingly, she drove back to the location at a later and the cottage had vanished. What I found interesting is the 'For Sale' sign must have been a modern one otherwise she would surely have noticed an old, decaying sign and commented on this, as despite being a character property the garden etc was well maintained. So, less of a time slip and more of a dimensional slip....?

As regards the Cornish story, I suppose it is possible they inadvertently gatecrashed a wedding or other celebration with a free bar in whatever time or dimension they found themselves in...?
Actually - that's a really interesting point you make there.. I've since had correspondence from another person about that property as they think they have located it in the history books and archives: but you are right, why would it have a modern For Sale sign? I wonder how long ago that sort of signage came into common usage? Anybody?

Actually - that's a really interesting point you make there.. I've since had correspondence from another person about that property as they think they have located it in the history books and archives: but you are right, why would it have a modern For Sale sign? I wonder how long ago that sort of signage came into common usage? Anybody?
Well, 'signs' first became a method of advertising when King Richard II passed an act stating that all alehouses must post a sign back in 1393. So presumably, anytime after that?

Nice IHTM account on today's Quora, albeit lacking in details (assume it's from the USA as she refers to "diapers").

She's either describing a time slip, a glitch in the matrix, or she haunted herself.

"But the most interesting thing happened in our very first house, when I was a little child… I used to see a woman walk into my bedroom fairly regularly. She always wore a blue bathrobe. Her hair was long and messy, a reddish brown. I didn’t see her face because she was usually turned away. I used to mistake her for my mom. She never spoke to me. She just moved around the room making pantomime motion…and if she were picking up and putting things down— mostly near my bookcase. She always moved to the same areas. She didn’t scare me. I was young and didn’t know that you weren’t supposed to see these things. The day I realized that you weren’t supposed to see people who weren’t really there, she vanished. I always thought she was a ghost, but…
Years later, as an adult, I ended up living in the same house. This house does not feel haunted. It feels clean and refreshing. Airy and light. I gave my daughter my old bedroom. I put her changing table where my bookcase used to be. Obviously, I changed her diapers there, regularly. Often it was early morning or the middle of the night. One day I realized…
I was wearing the same blue bathrobe. My hair was long, died a reddish brown, and uncombed. I look like my mother, but not exactly. I had my back to the rest of the room.
I think I saw myself when I was young. I think that was a time slip."

I'd guess that it's more the history of Estate Agents that would be in question here, because someone had to put up that For Sale board. And apparently Estate Agency goes back quite a way to the early 1800s, but it seems to be much later, well into the 1900s that they became more regional and less of a London based thing. Also the issue of house ownership wasn't such a thing until well after the Second World War, so estate agents were more like landlords and rent agencies than the sellers of houses.

So while it's not impossible that a For Sale sign was there, it may well have been anachronistic.

Nice IHTM account on today's Quora, albeit lacking in details (assume it's from the USA as she refers to "diapers").

She's either describing a time slip, a glitch in the matrix, or she haunted herself.

"But the most interesting thing happened in our very first house, when I was a little child… I used to see a woman walk into my bedroom fairly regularly. She always wore a blue bathrobe. Her hair was long and messy, a reddish brown. I didn’t see her face because she was usually turned away. I used to mistake her for my mom. She never spoke to me. She just moved around the room making pantomime motion…and if she were picking up and putting things down— mostly near my bookcase. She always moved to the same areas. She didn’t scare me. I was young and didn’t know that you weren’t supposed to see these things. The day I realized that you weren’t supposed to see people who weren’t really there, she vanished. I always thought she was a ghost, but…
Years later, as an adult, I ended up living in the same house. This house does not feel haunted. It feels clean and refreshing. Airy and light. I gave my daughter my old bedroom. I put her changing table where my bookcase used to be. Obviously, I changed her diapers there, regularly. Often it was early morning or the middle of the night. One day I realized…
I was wearing the same blue bathrobe. My hair was long, died a reddish brown, and uncombed. I look like my mother, but not exactly. I had my back to the rest of the room.
I think I saw myself when I was young. I think that was a time slip."
Classical doppelganger time slip. Interesting that when the witness realised that "you weren't supposed" to see such things, she stopped seeing herself. Shows how strong and effective the internal censor is at that age.

I’m looking back at the IHTMs in the 400th edition. The one with the broken down car and the Teddy boy is a puzzler. The holographic finish of the car sounds very modern and something you don’t even see much. Sounds like it would be a pricey wrapping job. But then they look so old fashioned. After they from some weird reality we’re we dress like the 50s but have holographic cars? Also it’s the Army that sort out broken down cars rather than RAC/AA? It certainly is any interesting account.

Edit- Holographic car wrap pictures.

Attachments

• 8C08EFCD-320B-4D3E-8AE6-F13362228641.jpeg
    8C08EFCD-320B-4D3E-8AE6-F13362228641.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 21
I’m looking back at the IHTMs in the 400th edition. The one with the broken down car and the Teddy boy is a puzzler. The holographic finish of the car sounds very modern and something you don’t even see much. Sounds like it would be a pricey wrapping job. But then they look so old fashioned. After they from some weird reality we’re we dress like the 50s but have holographic cars? Also it’s the Army that sort out broken down cars rather than RAC/AA? It certainly is any interesting account.

Edit- Holographic car wrap pictures.
I thought I’d post a copy of the story in case people have forgotten it or not read it.

TEDDY BOY TIME-SLIP

Back in 1979, when I was about 10 years old, my parents took my sister and me for a day trip to the Essex countryside. On the way home we passed through a small village. My dad drove down a one-way street and came to a T-junction, which was obstructed by a large, American car. It was a hideous ‘psychedelic’ purplish colour (almost like the rainbow effect you see on the back of a CD) but obviously well looked after, judging by the acres of highly polished chrome. I have never seen a car with such an unusual paint job, before or since.

The driver, a middle-aged man with the most absurd boot-polish black DA haircut and his partner, with an equally out-of-place beehive hairdo, were standing outside the car. He was wearing a yellow ‘teddy boy’ outfit and she a 1950s-style skirt and blouse. They had spread a tablecloth over the roof of their vehicle and had assembled a pretty large picnic on it. I remember plates and plates of exotic-looking food – much, much more than you would imagine for just two people, not just cheese and pickle sarnies – and a bottle of champagne in a cooler. These guys were just eating their dinner in the middle of the road without a care in the world.

There were parked cars down both sides of the street and this car was blocking the whole road. There was no way around them. My dad leant out the window and asked them what they thought they were doing. The guy responded that his car had broken down and that “we have called in the army”, which struck us all as a bit odd and was probably why my dad left it at that. So we backed the car up about 50 feet (15m) and turned into another road. We were passing the intersection less than 30 seconds later, fully expecting to see the car and its owners enjoying their picnic – but car, picnic and owners had completely disappeared.

Even if their car had been working properly, I fail to see how they could have packed up their massive picnic and driven off in the very short period of time it took for us to take our detour. My dad was incredulous and for a moment we thought we had come out on a different road, but we recognised the antique and bike shops on the corner. We drove around for a bit but couldn’t see any sign of the car or its strange occupants. It’s a mystery that has puzzled us to this day.

Anonymous

Fortean Times Message Board, 2004

I thought I’d post a copy of the story in case people have forgotten it or not read it.

TEDDY BOY TIME-SLIP

Back in 1979, when I was about 10 years old, my parents took my sister and me for a day trip to the Essex countryside. On the way home we passed through a small village. My dad drove down a one-way street and came to a T-junction, which was obstructed by a large, American car. It was a hideous ‘psychedelic’ purplish colour (almost like the rainbow effect you see on the back of a CD) but obviously well looked after, judging by the acres of highly polished chrome. I have never seen a car with such an unusual paint job, before or since.

The driver, a middle-aged man with the most absurd boot-polish black DA haircut and his partner, with an equally out-of-place beehive hairdo, were standing outside the car. He was wearing a yellow ‘teddy boy’ outfit and she a 1950s-style skirt and blouse. They had spread a tablecloth over the roof of their vehicle and had assembled a pretty large picnic on it. I remember plates and plates of exotic-looking food – much, much more than you would imagine for just two people, not just cheese and pickle sarnies – and a bottle of champagne in a cooler. These guys were just eating their dinner in the middle of the road without a care in the world.

There were parked cars down both sides of the street and this car was blocking the whole road. There was no way around them. My dad leant out the window and asked them what they thought they were doing. The guy responded that his car had broken down and that “we have called in the army”, which struck us all as a bit odd and was probably why my dad left it at that. So we backed the car up about 50 feet (15m) and turned into another road. We were passing the intersection less than 30 seconds later, fully expecting to see the car and its owners enjoying their picnic – but car, picnic and owners had completely disappeared.

Even if their car had been working properly, I fail to see how they could have packed up their massive picnic and driven off in the very short period of time it took for us to take our detour. My dad was incredulous and for a moment we thought we had come out on a different road, but we recognised the antique and bike shops on the corner. We drove around for a bit but couldn’t see any sign of the car or its strange occupants. It’s a mystery that has puzzled us to this day.

Anonymous

Fortean Times Message Board, 2004
1979 was a massive year of Youth Culture Revivals like the Teddy Boy, Mods and Skinheads and as another poster on this forum posted the the revival 1950s Teddy Boy started at the end of the 1960s and died off in the early 1980s and to replaced briefly by The Stray Cats Rockabilly but then quickly replace by the more underground and longer lasting Psychobilly scene.
I believe these people were just part of the Rock'n'Roll Revival and the ages of this scene were originals from the 1950's to current youth.

1979 was a massive year of Youth Culture Revivals like the Teddy Boy, Mods and Skinheads and as another poster on this forum posted the the revival 1950s Teddy Boy started at the end of the 1960s and died off in the early 1980s and to replaced briefly by The Stray Cats Rockabilly but then quickly replace by the more underground and longer lasting Psychobilly scene.
I believe these people were just part of the Rock'n'Roll Revival and the ages of this scene were originals from the 1950's to current youth.
I can understand their dress but not the car that’s finish is something we’ve only just got 40 years later.

I can understand their dress but not the car that’s finish is something we’ve only just got 40 years later.
There is the possibility that there's a memory-glitch at work here, of course, and that the paint job was unusual in some way but not quite as 'modern' as the story makes it seem.

It's more the sudden disappearance that I find mysterious. The clothes could well have been a pair of older people who liked to dress in the era of their youth, and if the car was American then it may have had a paint job with which the narrator was unfamiliar, but perfectly 'doable' for the time.

Hmmm.... The alcohol would not have been a good idea in the late 1970s as the laws against drink driving had been brought in a decade earlier in the UK. Just been seen with the champagne would be enough to grab the attention of a passing copper. Then you have a mention of the Army and the sudden disappearance...

Metallic paint was available in the US from the 1930s onwards but was too expensive for most motorists as it was made from actual fish scales:

https://www.consumerreports.org/con...y-of-car-colors-and-why-are-we-so-boring-now/

Hmmm.... The alcohol would not have been a good idea in the late 1970s as the laws against drink driving had been brought in a decade earlier in the UK. Just been seen with the champagne would be enough to grab the attention of a passing copper. Then you have a mention of the Army and the sudden disappearance...

Metallic paint was available in the US from the 1930s onwards but was too expensive for most motorists as it was made from actual fish scales:

https://www.consumerreports.org/con...y-of-car-colors-and-why-are-we-so-boring-now/
The mention of the Army may just have been ironic humour, kind of like "I'm waiting for the cavalry"... you don't expect literal cavalrymen charging to the rescue.

Metallic isn’t anything like holographic. Most cars have metallic paint these days. It certainly isn’t psychedelic.

Back