• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Quirks: Perceived Time Flow Slowing, Stopping Or Speeding Up

A

Anonymous

Anyone know anything about this? Any website about this? About time stoping?

Why have you got some frozen time? I find 10mins in the microwave works for me :D

Wot like how to do it yourself, or like the time loss phenomena reported in ufo experiences etc?
or like a groung hog day sort of thing'

I've always been fascinated with peoples reports of time slips, I drive over a very lonely ,often misty moorland road early in the morning to work, and often think I could come out of the mist and find myself anywhere

BTW hello!

:D

mojo said:
Why have you got some frozen time? I find 10mins in the microwave works for me :D

Wot like how to do it yourself, or like the time loss phenomena reported in ufo experiences etc?
or like a groung hog day sort of thing'

I've always been fascinated with peoples reports of time slips, I drive over a very lonely ,often misty moorland road early in the morning to work, and often think I could come out of the mist and find myself anywhere

BTW hello!

:D

Hehe, yeah, does anyone know how to stop time? I mean, its such a cool trick.

Anyone know any good websites about the phenomena?

I remember a story that, somewhere in the Bible time is frozen (or sent backwards) for a day. It's an Old Testiment story. Scientists with the latest computers mapped the positions of all the stars and, sure enough there is a missing day.

This story was told to me by a Billy Graham-esque Christian.

Does it ring any bells?

Yes, I do. God helped an army win a battle, by taking them a day back into time. That is all I really remember, but I know what your talking about.

Check out the book "Worlds in Collision" by Velikovsky for more on this. His explanation seems far more likely than that of some deity halting all temporal movement just for the sake of the outcome of some petty rivalry between barbarians!

Aargh! The dreaded V-word! (Astronomers cross themselves, clutch bulbs of garlic, etc) I'm surprised we haven't heard more about Velikovsky on this MB.

Acually I quite like his stuff (unlike many of his critics, who just parrot each other, I have actually read most of it.) Of course his orbital dynamics was way off line, but his analysis of historical evidence was thorough and intriguing.

In fact, if you substitute comets for his idea of the planet Venus bouncing around the solar system, you come up with ideas of impacts and near misses that are now becoming the new orthodoxy in astronomy.

Related reading: "The Cosmic Serpent" and "The Cosmic Winter", both by Clube and Napier, professional astronomers who are not afraid to quote Velikovsky in a positive way. These two may havemore recent books out - I haven't yet checked.

just a second......

I regularly look at my watch and think 'Oh crap, it's stopped' only to see the second hand move on.
In reality the time taken for the hand to move must be less than a second, but it seems like 4 or 5 seconds pass before it moves.

Temporal perception gone screwy? Or is someone hiding something from me?

It's a conspiracy, i tell you!!:D

The story is God made the sun stand still in the sky for his followers to win the battle cos it would scare the others. Of course no missing day has ever been found by NASA. How they would also do that I don't know.

Missing time, that is what you could expect if time stood still. But what others way could you notice it by? Unless everything but you suddenly stood still.

Good point Xanatic, it could be happening all the time. How would we know?

Re: time flies!

Vampirus said:
Time flies - at least - it seems to sometimes! I look at my watch and think "Where did the last 4 hours go??"

For instance, you can spend hours trying to uplaod an avatar and change your staus from Grey to something else, and after all this time (most of the night actually!) I STILL haven't managed it!

Any ideas anyone pleez?

:monster:

this is what I'm trying to upload as my avatar (IF it shows up!)
less than 80 x 80 and a lot smaller than 20,000 bytes!

I swear, its happened to me too! BTW, does anyone know anything about time standing still?

sam said:
I remember a story that, somewhere in the Bible time is frozen (or sent backwards) for a day. It's an Old Testiment story. Scientists with the latest computers mapped the positions of all the stars and, sure enough there is a missing day.

This story was told to me by a Billy Graham-esque Christian.

Does it ring any bells?

http://www.snopes.com/religion/lostday.htm

Draw your own conclusions.

I've always thought that it depends on the situation (eg 5 minutes waiting for the bus in the rain seems longer than a normal 5 minutes).

Same here with the avatars BTW...

I remember sitting down at 3:50pm on a tuesday in the woods. Just me and my friend and a bottle of cider.

We started talking, had about 2 mouthfulls each and he asked me the time and it was 5:45pm!! Still cant explain it to this day, hadn't drank much, hadn't talked much...where the hell did all that time go?

Re: just a second......

Quicksilver said:
I regularly look at my watch and think 'Oh crap, it's stopped' only to see the second hand move on.
In reality the time taken for the hand to move must be less than a second, but it seems like 4 or 5 seconds pass before it moves.

Temporal perception gone screwy? Or is someone hiding something from me?

It's a conspiracy, i tell you!!:D
This happens to me too. As you say, if you look at your watch inbetween movements of the second hand, you would expect the next movement to be in less than a second's time. However, many times now I have looked at my watch to see a very distinct 'lag' in the second hand before it moves on as normal.

Do we move in and out of differing 'states' of perceptions of time? Is a second slightly longer when I'm not looking at my watch?

Anyone else noticed this?

I've noticed. And it's freaky knowing that others have too experiened and continue to experience this phenomenia.

Re: Re: just a second......

August Verango said:
This happens to me too. As you say, if you look at your watch inbetween movements of the second hand, you would expect the next movement to be in less than a second's time. However, many times now I have looked at my watch to see a very distinct 'lag' in the second hand before it moves on as normal.

Do we move in and out of differing 'states' of perceptions of time? Is a second slightly longer when I'm not looking at my watch?

Anyone else noticed this?

I'm convinced that my watch can't be bothered moving it's hands if it knowsI'm not looking. Either that or things only exist when I am interacting with them...

Re: Re: Re: just a second......

Inverurie Jones said:
I'm convinced that my watch can't be bothered moving it's hands if it knowsI'm not looking. Either that or things only exist when I am interacting with them...

I know like the idea of "a tree falls in the forest, but if no one is there to see it, does it really fall"?

Then how would time flow then? If I do something for "so and so" minutes without watching my clock. Most likely some time had to go by.

Time seems to be fairly arbitrary to me. Something that takes twenty minutes the first time might only take fifteen the next ;)
I'm not convinced that time does move. What if we move through it at our own speeds? That might be why so much can happen in an instant, especiallywhen you know you are going to die...this month's FT gave me flashbacks to Gibraltar.
Regulators are important.

I tend to agree with IJ on this one. I think that WE move through time, and that our perception of that movement is RELATIVE to the type of brain activity we're engaged in.
If we're engrossed in a book for example, time goes quite quickly. But if we're really famished, the ten minutes till meal-time seems to be endless.

Maybe its got something to do with our level of concentration and the type of brain waves that that generates. Any other ideas anyone?:) :)

I've always been told that it's a perception thing. I asked my mum once why time seemed to go faster sometimes and at other times slower.
She said it depends on what you're doing and whether you are distracted from the passing of time.

This is kind of common sense sounding. However, I also think we move through time as opposed to it passing us.
I don't think time is linear though, so it's kind of like us all floating in a big bowl of time. There is no journey - now is where it is, so make the most of it.

yeah.

pinkle

Inverurie Jones said:
Well, we can change our position in all other dimensions.
Teleportation = stepping sideways in time?
Oz factor missing time = hopping into the future?

Maybe time is entirely subjective. Maybe we're all flitting backwards and forwards (in very short time intervals and of course mentally not physically) in time every day. It would explain how we sometimes achieve a great deal in a short space of time.

sleep

i often see sleep as a time machine/time distorter. i first came to realize this when i had my tonsils taken out. i was put under for what felt like 2 mins. when it was done, my parents said it was an hour. where did time go for me?

another instance i ponder is two people; one sleeping, one staying up all night. the one who sleeps experiances a "time warp" and wakes up after what seems like a few moments(given the he doesn wake up in the middle of the night). the guy who stays up all night experiances the full 12 hours of non-sleep. who did the time jump? the guy sleeping. i mean...if you wake up on your way to waking up, does time start up again for you? or stop? or change freqeuncy?

When you are given a general anaesthetic you're put on life-support aren't you because the drugs cause muscle paralysis? Someone correct me if this is wrong. An anaesthetized person would therefore technically be on the threshold of death thus that person's perception of time would be totally skewed until they 'came round'? Obviously the person isn't near braindeath because the ventilator is keeping the blood oxygenated, heart pumping etc. But the drugs are probably also suppressing brain function too (yes/no?).
Just throwing out a few thoughts there.

(Feeling smug because I can spell anaesthetic. I can spell phenom... phenomonem...too, drat!)

i was given anaesthesia and put on an IV, that was it..no life support. it was just tonsils. but i believe deep deep unconscious states can distort time.

this was when i was 7 or 8; i started pondering the way time works after that. i scribbled little notes and theories in my notebooks at school.

Back