• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Quirks: Perceived Time Flow Slowing, Stopping Or Speeding Up

I imagine that this is a mechanism which is inherent in all of us where, with death or serious injury imminent, our primal instincts are triggered in an attempt to preserve life. ...

Agreed ... Having experienced it all too many times, I can attest to the notion it's built-in.

I personally think that time is, in some regards, subjectively "fluid" by which I mean that, on an individual basis, we can briefly, step outside of normal time to act in a crisis. I have absolutely no way of proving that feeling though.

It's not necessary to frame things in term of an external time progression from which a crisis actor diverges. It's just as viable (and, IMHO, far more accurate ... ) to approach the evidence in terms of the subjective 'mind flow' speeding up.

The sense of time passing involves mapping a progression of events and actions onto an abstract scalar dimension (i.e., the 'arrow of time').

There are two basic ways to experience moving from (e.g.) 0 to 10 on time's yardstick at a non-standard or anomalous increased rate.

One is for the yardstick to be influenced to slide past you faster than normal. The other is for you to speed up and 'see' or 'experience' the movement in increments of sixteenths of an inch rather than the usual whole inches.

Either approach accounts for the perceived anomaly. The latter doesn't involve reliance upon an external standard.

There are countless tales of, for example, soldiers or police officers who claim that...in a crisis, they are able to perform an act of self preservation or the saving of a colleague in a timeframe which defies logic.

I have also heard of soldiers who claim to have " seen" a projectile, bullet or shrapnel, flying towards them but their bodies are too slow to take evasive action in time to avoid injury.

I've experienced both, and the subjective sense of time dilation is the same in both instances (i.e., whether it involves action or resignation). My canonical personal example of the latter case was watching an arrow fly directly at my left eye from a distance of only circa 20 feet away.

I was able to react in time because I was young with young reflexes.
These days I'd have ended up seriously damaged I fear.

The subjective time dilation effect still occurs at an advanced age, but the ability to rapidly react is naturally diminished with age. The former is a cognitive / psychological issue, and the latter is a somatic issue.

Been meaning to put two events of time dialation for a while.

1) Cycling in Bristol near to White Tree Roundabout on the downs. If you know the area on the Westbury side there is a small junction. A car pulled out in front of me. I managed a Starsky and Hutch roll over the bonnet. From my persepctive it happened in slow motion.

2). For my sins I like a game of golf. I played a Captains Away Day at Bedale a couple of years back. A woodland course with very close fairways, I cannot remember the exact hole where the time dialation occured.

It happened like this. I heard someone shout fore and my playing partner shouted. I turned to my right and spotted a ball flying fast in my direction. At this point time slowed down. I focused on the ball as it moved into range. Without exaggerated movement I casually moved my head back. The ball flew passed my face, I even watched the ball glide by. Just after that point, time glitched back into normal speed. Most bizarre.

At this point time slowed down. I focused on the ball as it moved into range. Without exaggerated movement I casually moved my head back. The ball flew passed my face, I even watched the ball glide by. Just after that point, time glitched back into normal speed. Most bizarre.
Was it like 'bullet time' as in The Matrix?

precisely what i was thinking ... what year was this ?

(although bullet time precedes the matrix cf. michel gondrys smirnoff adventure magnum opus)

It had a certain similarity. I have to admit I have never seen any of the Matrix's, only clips.

Been meaning to put two events of time dialation for a while.

1) Cycling in Bristol near to White Tree Roundabout on the downs. If you know the area on the Westbury side there is a small junction. A car pulled out in front of me. I managed a Starsky and Hutch roll over the bonnet. From my persepctive it happened in slow motion.

2). For my sins I like a game of golf. I played a Captains Away Day at Bedale a couple of years back. A woodland course with very close fairways, I cannot remember the exact hole where the time dialation occured.

It happened like this. I heard someone shout fore and my playing partner shouted. I turned to my right and spotted a ball flying fast in my direction. At this point time slowed down. I focused on the ball as it moved into range. Without exaggerated movement I casually moved my head back. The ball flew passed my face, I even watched the ball glide by. Just after that point, time glitched back into normal speed. Most bizarre.

Thanks for sharing that Bobandterry, interesting read.

To me, it's two more examples of the "potentially bad / dangerous situation triggering a quickening of the brain functions"-type thing; I must come up with a long-winded and pompous term for that... ;)

I still think my own take on these is just that; you become aware of a threat, and your mind / consciousness / whatever "speeds up" to allow you to cope with the situation. I believe they are totally separate from time "dilation" or "slips" where the observer appears to travel back or forward in time, or experiences a repeat of an event.

Thanks again for posting.

Regards

James

Bumping my recollection of being in a RTA:

"... when a 7.5 tonner slammed into the back of my stationary car on the M3 some 12 years ago, I remember there being a strange strobing effect, as if the impact and subsequent spinning of my car occurred as a series of flickering images."

Bumping my recollection of being in a RTA:

"... when a 7.5 tonner slammed into the back of my stationary car on the M3 some 12 years ago, I remember there being a strange strobing effect, as if the impact and subsequent spinning of my car occurred as a series of flickering images."

Thanks and fascinating. Another variant...

Regards

... I still think my own take on these is just that; you become aware of a threat, and your mind / consciousness / whatever "speeds up" to allow you to cope with the situation. I believe they are totally separate from time "dilation" or "slips" where the observer appears to travel back or forward in time, or experiences a repeat of an event. ...

A clarification ...

Time dilation refers to the 'now' timeframe seeming to be stretched out or extended so that its progress is subjectively perceived as slower than normal. This is the subjective flip-side of having one's conscious processing 'speed up' as you described. As such, it isn't a 'separate' phenomenon at all.

Time 'slips' refer to shifting into a timeframe other than the presumptively objective 'now'. This is indeed 'separate' from the subjective time dilation effect discussed here.

I have one experience which seems to fall into the area of time dilation. When I was 18, I was out with friends for a very late night though with very little drinking involved, and in the early hours - about 3am - I fell down a manhole, in Hollywood silent-movie style. It was barely any wider than me, and could have been horrific if I hadn't gone 'neatly' through (had I caught my arm I reckon that could have been very nasty), though I still fell about 12ft onto a stone floor in a vault under the pavement. But I remember as I fell thinking this is going to hurt when I hit the bottom, a journey that seemed to take for ever, but which took 0.9 seconds (according to Angio.net's 'splat calculator') with an energy of 2548 joules at the bottom.

The fall seemed to stretch out for seconds, though not long enough for me to do anything; the flipside is that I was still pretty relaxed when I hit the floor and suffered no serious injuries, a few bumps and bruises on my left-hand side and a torn vintage blazer (oh yes!). My father blames the shock of the incident on me developing an allergy to aspirin which manifested itself by nearly killing me a few weeks later.

It was an interesting night all things considered. Early in the evening I got a long, deep cut along the side of one of toes, cutting it on broken glass while skinny-dipping across the river with friends; I still have the scar. As for the manhole, a coach had mounted the pavement and broke it. No barriers were put up, just a piece of wood placed on the pavement that I'd actually moved as I thought it presented a trip hazard! Is that a definition of irony?

I have one experience which seems to fall into the area of time dilation. When I was 18, I was out with friends for a very late night though with very little drinking involved, and in the early hours - about 3am - I fell down a manhole, in Hollywood silent-movie style. It was barely any wider than me, and could have been horrific if I hadn't gone 'neatly' through (had I caught my arm I reckon that could have been very nasty), though I still fell about 12ft onto a stone floor in a vault under the pavement. But I remember as I fell thinking this is going to hurt when I hit the bottom, a journey that seemed to take for ever, but which took 0.9 seconds (according to Angio.net's 'splat calculator') with an energy of 2548 joules at the bottom.

The fall seemed to stretch out for seconds, though not long enough for me to do anything; the flipside is that I was still pretty relaxed when I hit the floor and suffered no serious injuries, a few bumps and bruises on my left-hand side and a torn vintage blazer (oh yes!). My father blames the shock of the incident on me developing an allergy to aspirin which manifested itself by nearly killing me a few weeks later.

It was an interesting night all things considered. Early in the evening I got a long, deep cut along the side of one of toes, cutting it on broken glass while skinny-dipping across the river with friends; I still have the scar. As for the manhole, a coach had mounted the pavement and broke it. No barriers were put up, just a piece of wood placed on the pavement that I'd actually moved as I thought it presented a trip hazard! Is that a definition of irony?

Thanks for that.

I can't remember where, but I read a horror novel story once about a guy who found himself kidnapped, removed of his senses of sight and hearing by way of plugs / mask etc., and "strapped to something"; the story went along the lines of him working out by touch he was on a bed, but was suspended "above" something.

The narrative implied to me that at the moment he eventually plunged off / "fell off" the bed, and without really knowing how far he would be falling, was the moment he lost his sanity, even though (from memory) it was only a few feet off the ground. The "fall" in his mind became "timeless"... a concept I've seen in other stories too. I think this one was a Clive Barker short...

I remember a second story too from long agai about the discovery of teleportation and how it only seemed to partially work with living creatures; inanimate objects were fine, but if you pushed a mouse through the sending portal, it arrived dying or dead at the receiving portal. However, it was discovered by chance that it was only the "head" part that was the "problem"... if you pushed a horse, mouse or any animal in "backwards", it was fine (you could "see" the animal emerging in real time at the destination portal), until it reached the head, and where at the other end it was "dead within a few moments".

Eventually, the government (?) allows an experiment with a live person, a condemned criminal if I recall, so that the scientists can try and actually ask him what was "happening" to kill everything;

So he goes through, and when he comes out he's all wide-eyed and clearly gone stark-raving mad... just before he expires, he says that the time he was actually "transferring" wasn't instantaneous, but instead was the equivalent of 100's of years of "nothingness", lived out second by second like a purgatory of sorts... which let's face it, is enough to kill anyone.

If anyone is interested, post here and I'll try and locate the actual authors and stories of these two snippets (and another one which was an episode of "Star Trek: the Next Generation" where Picard undergoes sensory deprivation leading to a stretching of time experience that suddenly comes to mind too).

Oh, reason I was actually posting; in the new FT number 369, August 2018, there's another letter on this thread's subject called "Time Dilation", p74, and is worth a read.

The gang also printed a letter i'd written too on the previous page p73 titled "A load of hot air", if anyone remember's Mat Coward's "useless buttons" article from a while back.

Regards

Thanks for that.

I can't remember where, but I read a horror novel story once about a guy who found himself kidnapped, removed of his senses of sight and hearing by way of plugs / mask etc., and "strapped to something"; the story went along the lines of him working out by touch he was on a bed, but was suspended "above" something.

The narrative implied to me that at the moment he eventually plunged off / "fell off" the bed, and without really knowing how far he would be falling, was the moment he lost his sanity, even though (from memory) it was only a few feet off the ground. The "fall" in his mind became "timeless"... a concept I've seen in other stories too. I think this one was a Clive Barker short...

This was / is most 99.9999% likely "Dread", a Clive Barker short from his "Books of Blood" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_Blood volume 2

Regards

So he goes through, and when he comes out he's all wide-eyed and clearly gone stark-raving mad... just before he expires, he says that the time he was actually "transferring" wasn't instantaneous, but instead was the equivalent of 100's of years of "nothingness", lived out second by second like a purgatory of sorts... which let's face it, is enough to kill anyone.

Sounds like Stephen King's The Jaunt. Not exactly the same but the time dilation aspect is similar. One of my favourite of his stories.

Sounds like Stephen King's The Jaunt. Not exactly the same but the time dilation aspect is similar. One of my favourite of his stories.

Thanks Escargot.

Yes, that's the one! Great detective work there. Fits in with my reading horror phase from a while back. Funny too how the story is warped by the time in one's own memory, but that's a topic with it's own threads in itself, I'm sure. ;)

More here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jaunt but beware of plot spoilers.

Thanks again,

Regards

James

Thanks Escargot.

Yes, that's the one! Great detective work there. Fits in with my reading horror phase from a while back. Funny too how the story is warped by the time in one's own memory, but that's a topic with it's own threads in itself, I'm sure. ;)

More here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jaunt but beware of plot spoilers.

Thanks again,

Regards

James

Glad to be of service! :hoff:

Memory - yup, it's a strange thing. When I think of that story it reminds me of the old swimming baths in my home town. I have no idea why - there's something about it that brings to mind the tiles on the floors and walls. As if I'm walking along the poolside again, as when I was about 11.

Why does time seem to pass so much faster the older you get? When I was a kid, summers seemed to last for years, even though they were jam packed with fun and frolicking. Nowadays a year passes and it feels like only a few months. Last week was Xmas ffs! I have to keep asking myself, what did I do with all that time?

So what has changed? I don't think I am any more distracted? Is my brain slowing down? Does anyone else experience this?

I am seriously feeling like someone's stealing my time.

Please don't take too long to reply, I shall be 50 next week I am sure...

:eek!!!!:

To make things even worse I am reading your post 17 years later in 2020, never mind a few months where did the last 17 years go?

There have been internet reports that when a person is in an accident like a car wreck, escaping from a crashed plane, or something like a motorcycle accident, the person in the accident claims that time almost slows down to almost a stand still.

One lady waiting her turn to get off a crash airplane claims it seemed like everyone was moving in slow motion and time was non existent as flames were seen outside the windows.

We know time does not slow down, so what is going on ?

People who study this phenomenon struggle for an answer.

It is assumed that it is the adrenaline in “ fight or flight “ response.

The adrenaline puts the brain in fast gear distorting time.

The brain is a tricky thing, or does fear really slow time down, the power of our brain to do so ?

There have been internet reports that when a person is in an accident like a car wreck, escaping from a crashed plane, or something like a motorcycle accident, the person in the accident claims that time almost slows down to almost a stand still.

One lady waiting her turn to get off a crash airplane claims it seemed like everyone was moving in slow motion and time was non existent as flames were seen outside the windows.

The brain is a tricky thing, or does fear really slow time down, the power of our brain to do so ?
I think you're really on the money with the adrenaline angle. Or perhaps, better formulated, metabolism. It has been shown that the faster the metabolism, the slower the perception of time, which in turn enables a faster reaction time. Scientists have said that this is why, for example, flies are so hard to kill. They have a super-fast metabolism, and when your arm comes down with the flyswatter in hand, though it seems very fast to you, to the fly, it appears to come down in v-e-r-y slow motion, giving it plenty of time to get away.

I saw a PBS hour-long documentary on this phenomenon years ago, and always found it fascinating. The claim was made that each species has, on average, the same number of heartbeats in a lifespan. A dog's metabolism is faster than its owner's, so sadly it dies sooner. Interesting stuff.

P.S. I went back to lurking again because grad school got stressful, but now that I'm on semester break, I thought I'd put my two pennies in again. So hi, everybody! The comments of you folks are always very interesting!

I have experienced this, although in quite a mundane situation. Running home from the school bus one night I tripped and fell. Time slowed down enormously and it took quite an age until I hit the pavement and I was fully aware of the whole process (although quite unable to do anything about it). When I hit the ground, time sped up back to normal and my knees and hands hurt like hell!

My rudimentary understanding (from a book about consciousness I think it was) is that it is something to do with the internal 'clock' in one's brain - something along the lines of if it 'ticks' too fast then one experiences time slower than normal, and vice versa. That's a very simplistic way of describing it of course, and may not be entirely accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once while travelling along the freeway with my cousin's wife, who was driving, this happened to me.
A car from the next lane cut in front of us to get to an exit ramp.
Time seemed to slow down and I remember putting out my arm to stop her toddler flying forward from the back as he'd undone his safety belt.
He seemed to be floating.
Luckily she was able to twist the wheel but it was a near thing.

I think it is a common report from a lot of car accidents (and I have had a few over the years and can report same) that in these situations everything goes into..... s l o w m o t i o n and the incredible thing is the amount of detail you can recall.
Events that probably happen over a timeframe of just a few seconds, when explained, take ages to recount, with all the little bits of 'I stuck my arm out' and 'I saw a tree branch slide across the windscreen' etc etc

. The claim was made that each species has, on average, the same number of heartbeats in a lifespan. A dog's metabolism is faster than its owner's, so sadly it dies sooner. Interesting stuff.
I've often wondered about this. The larger the animal, the slower the metabolism, which should mean that the bigger the animal, the greater the number of years it is capable of living, which generally holds true in the animal kingdom. But small dogs tend, on average, to live much longer than large ones. The average life of a German Shepherd is about 12 years, yet a terrier can live to be 16-18. And, as terriers are, on average, more active than a German Shepherd, they should burn through their heartbeats faster still.

I know a lot of this is due to selective breeding and larger dogs being more prone to heart problems and all. But it still interests me.

I've often wondered about this. The larger the animal, the slower the metabolism, which should mean that the bigger the animal, the greater the number of years it is capable of living, which generally holds true in the animal kingdom. But small dogs tend, on average, to live much longer than large ones. The average life of a German Shepherd is about 12 years, yet a terrier can live to be 16-18. And, as terriers are, on average, more active than a German Shepherd, they should burn through their heartbeats faster still.

I know a lot of this is due to selective breeding and larger dogs being more prone to heart problems and all. But it still interests me.
You know, that occurred to me back when I saw the documentary originally. Do you happen to know if the heart problems in larger dogs (for instance, Great Danes) are a RESULT of selective breeding, or are they a separate issue? Maybe that's not known. Veterinarian research, of course, gets a mere fraction of the money that human medical research gets.

You know, that occurred to me back when I saw the documentary originally. Do you happen to know if the heart problems in larger dogs (for instance, Great Danes) are a RESULT of selective breeding, or are they a separate issue? Maybe that's not known. Veterinarian research, of course, gets a mere fraction of the money that human medical research gets.
I've tried to find out what the average ages of hounds were, back before truly selective breeding started (ie, before we started selecting for looks and size rather than working ability) and can't find anything, other than medieval literature which said that dogs don't live long enough for their masters. But as I doubt that people would deliberately have bred from dogs with known conditions of the heart, I'd take a guess that the heart problems are a result of humans artificially selecting for size. Same for hips in German Shepherds and Labradors.

Our dog Dolly is a Bedlington Terrier. She has copper toxicosis which means that her liver cannot absorb copper. So she has to be on a special diet, has filtered water and has a Denamarin tablet once a day.

Bedlingtons are prone to Copper Toxicosis but it wasn't known about until relatively recently. They are an old breed of dog, apparently originating in the 18th century. Their average lifespan is 13 (human) years.

This is just info because they are an old breed of dog. Dolly is healthy and fit as a flea by the way.

Back