• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time-Slip Or Fancy Dress?

A

Anonymous

Lee Stansfield, Stockport, Lee Stansfield, Stockport

This happened in the summer of 1988 or 89 when I was 18 or 19.

I used to go out with a girl who lived about two miles walk from where I lived with my parents and there were two quickish routes - one of them through a semi-rural area, the other along a main road. As it was a pleasant summer's evening I decided to take the semi-rural option and set off down a country lane to go and see her.

It was about seven o'clock. I had just passed a farmhouse and was approaching a bridge over a railway when walking towards me I noticed a man wearing plus fours, a flat cap and pushing an old-fashioned wooden wheelbarrow. As he came nearer we started to look at each other with a sense of puzzlement...

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/timeslip.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was me who experienced this, sixteen - seventeen years ago. I have walked through the same spot dozens of times in the years since and nothing out of the ordinary has ever happened...

...until last Sunday.

On Saturday night, my partner and I settled down to watch a film. As she wasn't in the mood for anything too taxing, I suggested Disney's "The Jungle Book" which we duly watched (bit of a revealing admission for a 35 year old bloke to admit!).

The next day I visited my parents' house and took their dog for a walk. I walked down the lane where my Edwardian gardener and ladies had appeared and the dog stopped to relieve himself in a bunch of nettles just a few metres from the spot where the people had appeared. I glanced down to the side and there, lying next to the road, was A Book.

Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Book"...

Wow. I wonder if it's you, or the location that caused these events? Are they on lay lines do you know? Also, have you ever heard of anyone else having any kind of experiance in the same area? It might be worth taking a trip to your local papers office to ask if they have any old reports of events in that area? You never know, if they've been going long enough they might have a report about two edwardian ladies and a gardener seeing a very unusual man!:)

akaWiintermoon said:
Wow. I wonder if it's you, or the location that caused these events? Are they on lay lines do you know? Also, have you ever heard of anyone else having any kind of experiance in the same area? It might be worth taking a trip to your local papers office to ask if they have any old reports of events in that area? You never know, if they've been going long enough they might have a report about two edwardian ladies and a gardener seeing a very unusual man!:)

Ha ha!!

Now that would be freaky!

I don't know about anybody else having weird things happen to them in that area, but I may just check...

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

Time-Slip or Fancy Dress?

Lee Stansfield
Stockport

This happened in the summer of 1988 or 89 when I was 18 or 19.

I used to go out with a girl who lived about two miles walk from where I lived with my parents and there were two quickish routes - one of them through a semi-rural area, the other along a main road. As it was a pleasant summer's evening I decided to take the semi-rural option and set off down a country lane to go and see her.

It was about seven o'clock. I had just passed a farmhouse and was approaching a bridge over a railway when walking towards me I noticed a man wearing plus fours, a flat cap and pushing an old-fashioned wooden wheelbarrow. As he came nearer we started to look at each other with a sense of puzzlement. As I had long hair at the time, I was used to being looked at in a strange manner and for my part, he did look rather odd. Assuming he was perhaps from the farm I carried on walking.

Then things became stranger, for now, in my direction, came two women dressed in what I can only describe as late Victorian/early Edwardian dresses and wide brimmed hats. Again, we regarded one another with a sense of bemusement without uttering a word and looking each other up and down, passed each other by.

After taking a few more steps, still feeling very puzzled by these peoples' appearance, I turned around to get another look, assuming by this stage I had happened upon some guests on their way to a fancy-dress party.

They had disappeared.

In the time it had taken me to pass them and turn around there was no way they could have got up the lane and into the farmhouse (the nearest building to the location).

Feeling a bit shaken by the whole experience, I hurried on into civilisation and my girlfriend's where my tale was greeted with a certain degree of mockery.

So what happened?

The area where I lived was not up for historical re-enactments and this style of clothing was certainly not de rigeur in late 1980s Greater Manchester!

The only sensible conclusion I could come to was that I had passed some people on their way to some sort of fancy-dress party, where guests had to wear Victorian attire! Even so, unless they darted into a field and hid behind a wall, there was no way they could have disappeared from view so quickly...

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/20040810011113/http://www.forteantimes.com:80/happened/timeslip.shtml

Back