• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Slip

B

bytebug

I enjoyed reading issue FT240 as I am a strong believer in time slips, De ja vu and parallel universes, for example the loch ness monster is a dinosaur from 63 million years ago but is only seen when a time slip occurs in the ness area, mothman is a creature from a parallel universe which doesnt exist in this universe normally and of course some UFOs are human craft from another (future) time. The story about the flying platforms reminded me of a famous case in Papua New Guinea in 1959, a father Gill saw a flying platform with figures standing upon it who replied to him when he waved to them. I thought the case featured in Issue 240 from Aldeburgh 1916 or 1917 was suspicious when the alledged witness wrote "Ordinary men just like us" which given it occurred before an era of aliens and little green men of the 1960s, seems rather superfluous. This leads me onto a case which happened to my mothers second husband (Bob) around 1987 when they lived in a lincolnshire village of claypole. Bob was working on his car outside their very old house on the main street on a summers day when he went inside to fetch some tools. Upon entering the house he immediately noticed it was very different. The furniture was old fashioned especially the kitchen which now contained a fire for cooking, there was no electrics instead gas lamps. He exited the house and then returned shortly afterwards only to find the house as expected with all mod cons. After some reasearch he found an old man in his nineties who lived in the house during his childhood and is reported to of confirmed bobs descriptions of the decor. Perhaps it was a hot day and his mind created an illusion based on a photograph of a house from the turn of the 19th century he may of saw in the past? or perhaps he stumbled into (and out of) a time slip?

I also thought of Father Gill in the flying platform article. Maybe he'll be mentioned next issue?

Great story, by the way, sounds like a time slip to me.

Some very good timeslip stories were printed in the old Unexplained part-work - some of them very like the one posted by bytebug above. There is no way of proving them of course yet they seem to have a downbeat matter-of-fact quality. If the whole environment has changed around us, we would tend initially to think we had made some mistake and walked into the wrong house, for instance. The scenes do not seem to dissolve or fade but typically shift back to normal when people go out of a door and return.

There is a great deal of material on the Web which refers to a supposed time-slip window being located on Liverpool's Bold Street. Here is one little piece that refers to it and reminds me that the author of all those Unexplained articles was Joan Forman.

A Scientist Writes

Earlier this year, about May I think, I got up very early in the morning and walked into my lounge to open the curtains. As I walked in I noticed the walls were dark green in colour which was how they had been decorated a few years previously. It was early and I was still tired so I opened the curtains as planned and noted the sun was rising and then thought to myself.... Didn't I paint those walls white last year?

I shrugged it off as I had a higher priority (putting kettle on) so walked to the kitchen. Stopped in my tracks as I realised I HAD painted those walls white in Jan 2006 when using up some left over annual leave. :shock:

I went back into the lounge and the walls were now correctly white.

I initially put it down to the fact that I had woken up a few times throughout the night and was knackered (which is the most likely approach). Now I wonder if there was more to it than that.

To be honest, though I'd like to believe it was some kind of timeslip, it's much more likely that you've experienced an example of the fact that the mind fills in missing details of the immediate environment using previously stored material, rather like a browser uses cached material to speed up the way it builds web pages on a computer.

It was dark, you'd just woken up and your mind reached back to an earlier memory of the room, from some place deep in your previous night's dreams.

I thought the Father Gill sighting had been ascribed to him squinting at the planet Venus, and mistaking his eyelashes for someone waving at him?

Or maybe I'm just going insane.

It has been ascribed to that. Proving the assertion is another thing. To some it is a plausible explanation, to some it is ridiculous.

This is true of most explanations constructed after the fact. We believe what convinces us, and that's different from one individual to another.

bugmum said:
I thought the Father Gill sighting had been ascribed to him squinting at the planet Venus, and mistaking his eyelashes for someone waving at him?

Or maybe I'm just going insane.

Father Gill must have been going insane if that's what he actually saw. Anyway, he wasn't the only witness, unless the others were humouring him ("Oh dear, Father Gill's having one of his turns").

JamesWhitehead said:
The scenes do not seem to dissolve or fade but typically shift back to normal when people go out of a door and return.

That's an interesting point. Are there any examples of someone walking into what seems to be a timeslip, and then someone else joining them and experiencing the same thing? I don't mean 2 people who enter the "slip" together, but a 2nd person who's a sort of latecomer.

I wonder why the phenomenon should be tied to someone's going in and out of a door? Of course outdoor experiences would have to be different. But the one type of example and its typical form seems to raise questions about what sort of threshold is being crossed.

That's an interesting point. Are there any examples of someone walking into what seems to be a timeslip, and then someone else joining them and experiencing the same thing? I don't mean 2 people who enter the "slip" together, but a 2nd person who's a sort of latecomer.

I wonder why the phenomenon should be tied to someone's going in and out of a door? Of course outdoor experiences would have to be different. But the one type of example and its typical form seems to raise questions about what sort of threshold is being crossed.

There is one very important case, the incident known in its original posting as "One thing leeds to another." In the 90s two sisters were about to go into a newsagents for cigarettes. The shop was busy, and as first sister was opening the door sister two noticed a lady standing just behind the door examining the magazines. She called out to mind that woman, but just then her sister passed right through the lady, who faded away. Sister One then said "What woman?" and sister two said she must have been a spirit. But at that moment they both realised that the shop was now empty, cold and grey as on a winter's morning. It seemed sinister and the two quickly exited the shop. Everything outside was normal and after a minute they decided to go back in. The shop was now warm, brightly lit, and full of customers. Totally confused they approached the shop assistant and asked what was going on. The lady backed away in terror, sold them the cigarettes they wanted, and they left.

It seems quite clear that the first sister crossed the threshold into the time slip, if that is what it was, and was thus able to pass through the space occupied by the browsing lady. When the second sister also entered, both of them were inside the slip. The shop assistant had presumably seen them entering, passing through the customer by the door and then fading out of view. When they re-entered she was understandably freaked out. If we could locate that lady, we would have the evidence from both sides of the slip, as it were.

The first sister has since died and after a brief exchange of emails the second sister has now ceased to respond to my questions. I have possibly identified the shop assistant but as the shop has changed hands it seems impossible to trace her. If someone in Leeds would like to make further efforts on these lines, I would be very grateful!

Interestingly both sisters had experienced other Forteana during their lives. Both felt, after the event, that there was a bus stop nearby, and that had they not been delayed by the odd happening, something awful might have happened.

The boundaries to time slips seem to be set by human geography. In one famous Liverpool case the witness left the time slip and looked back to see people in the next street still in the past. All this suggests "matrix" rather than a purely physical phenomenon.

In one famous Liverpool case the witness left the time slip and looked back to see people in the next street still in the past. All this suggests "matrix" rather than a purely physical phenomenon.
if that is the liverpool case im thinking of, at least one other passerby also observed from outside

if that is the liverpool case im thinking of, at least one other passerby also observed from outside

The witness was a shoplifter being chased into an alley by a security guard. The guard allegedly claimed that he had vanished into thin air.

ah i was thinking of a party who entered a large (department ?) store on a liverpool high street to be greeted with apparent wholesale anachronism, stepped outside to double-check themself, and accosted a passerby who confirmed the effect ... fade to reality, etc ...

I think that's the off-duty policeman who saw the book store change to a 50s dress shop. A young lady was the only other person who entered the slip. When this was aired on radio, it led to many other TS witnesses coming forward.

i find the idea of timeslips really seductive, all the mystery and otherworldliness of a ghost encounter, but all the stronger for being the fabric, the environment which has survived from the past ... more immersive, and of course no obvious dead guy to deal with ... in fact its the converse, the experiencer becomes the ghost in the room

i find the idea of timeslips really seductive, all the mystery and otherworldliness of a ghost encounter, but all the stronger for being the fabric, the environment which has survived from the past ... more immersive, and of course no obvious dead guy to deal with ... in fact its the converse, the experiencer becomes the ghost in the room

I first heard about time slips through Colin Wilson's discussion of the Versailles case and Joan Forman's The Mask of Time, but it wasn't until I investigated the Rougham phenomena that I really got hooked! I agree, it has a special fascination. Some ghost cases might be time slips wrongly categorised.

I would like to thank all those who are going to react to my recent posts tomorrow including Sollywoss, Victory and Ramonmercado
7812E24D-64B3-40DB-80D0-C44532AA39CA.jpeg

I read of a group of women hearing the Dieppe Raid replayed years later whilst on holiday in France, but a lot of stories about time slips tend to be British. Would like to hear of time slips in some other countries. Australians out there?

I'm not sure if this counts as a time slip, but a similar thing happened to my cousin in the U.S.

He was living in northern Maine at the time, married to a local woman. (They've long since divorced.) They were driving home late one night; as I remember it was from dinner at a restaurant, and a young member of the wife's family was with them. It was a sparsely populated area that they knew well. They reached a part of the road where they knew the next turn would bring them home.

When they took the turn, however, things didn't look right. It was strangely unfamiliar, and they didn't recognize any of the houses they passed. Eventually they reached a dead end. Confused, they turned around and went back to the turnoff, and continued in the direction they had originally been traveling. The next turnoff proved to be the one they wanted. Needless to say, they couldn't find the mysterious road the next time they went back that way.

An odd detail that the wife (who told me the story) included, although she wasn't sure anyone else noticed it: when they got home, tired and spooked, a black dog that was usually tied up outside the house appeared to be a ghostly gray.

My cousin still lives near me, but we've lost touch for a number of reasons. I don't believe I ever questioned him about it in depth.

I'm not sure if this counts as a time slip, but a similar thing happened to my cousin in the U.S.

He was living in northern Maine at the time, married to a local woman. (They've long since divorced.) They were driving home late one night; as I remember it was from dinner at a restaurant, and a young member of the wife's family was with them. It was a sparsely populated area that they knew well. They reached a part of the road where they knew the next turn would bring them home.

When they took the turn, however, things didn't look right. It was strangely unfamiliar, and they didn't recognize any of the houses they passed. Eventually they reached a dead end. Confused, they turned around and went back to the turnoff, and continued in the direction they had originally been traveling. The next turnoff proved to be the one they wanted. Needless to say, they couldn't find the mysterious road the next time they went back that way.

An odd detail that the wife (who told me the story) included, although she wasn't sure anyone else noticed it: when they got home, tired and spooked, a black dog that was usually tied up outside the house appeared to be a ghostly gray.

My cousin still lives near me, but we've lost touch for a number of reasons. I don't believe I ever questioned him about it in depth.
You've reminded me of a case in Australia where a driver used a road for many miles that hadn't actually been built yet. It must have been somewhere on here that I read about it.

I read of a group of women hearing the Dieppe Raid replayed years later whilst on holiday in France, but a lot of stories about time slips tend to be British. Would like to hear of time slips in some other countries. Australians out there?

I have the SPR's investigation of this case (there were two passes at it, I believe), but it's currently on the wrong side of the world.
Once I get pick up the copy of the Journal, I'll post it here.

Reasonably detailed account here:

Dieppe Raid Case: Reports of the hearing of ghostly sounds of a bloody World War II air and sea battle fought near Dieppe, France. The case, documented and examined by psychical researchers, attained fame in the 1950s. It is considered to be an example of paranormal collective auditory hallucinations.

The case was reported by two Englishwomen on holiday at Puys, near Dieppe, in late July and early August 1951. The women, identified pseudonymously in reports as Dorothy Norton and her sister-in-law Agnes Norton, stayed in a house that during World War II had been occupied by German soldiers. Dorothy Norton was accompanied by her two children and a nurse.

On the morning of August 4, at about 4:20, the women were awakened by loud noises that started suddenly and at first sounded like a storm arising at sea. The sounds ebbed and flowed, and then they could distinctly hear sounds of gunfire, shellfire, divebombers, and men shouting and crying out. The women got up and went out on their balcony, where they could not actually see the sea, but they detected nothing that could account for the noises. Meanwhile, the noises came in from the direction of the sea, loud and intense, and still seemed like gunfire, divebombing and voices shouting. The roaring abruptly stopped at 4:50 A.M. and resumed at about 5:07 A.M. The noise became so intense that the Norton women were amazed that other occupants of the house were not awakened. As the sky grew light, they heard a rifle shot on the beach below. The noise became more distinct as the sound of divebombing planes that came in waves. It stopped abruptly at 5:40 A.M. The noise resumed at 5:50 A.M., not as loud, but still sounding distinctly like planes. The noise died away at 6 A.M. and resumed at 6:20 A.M., much fainter. The women heard nothing at all after 6:55 A.M.

Both women knew that a battle had taken place in the vicinity during the war, but neither knew the details. They consulted a French guidebook and, during the experience, sat and read the account of the battle. They concluded they might have heard ghostly sounds of the real battle, and agreed to write independent versions of their experience. With a small discrepancy in time (probably due to a difference in watches), their reports matched. Later, they asked several persons if they, too, had been disturbed during the night, but received negative answers.

The sounds bore a remarkable correspondence to the fierce battle that took place in the Dieppe environs on August 19, 1942, at precisely the times experienced by the Nortons. The Royal Regiment of Canada launched a predawn assault on German forces from Puys, about 1.5 miles east of Dieppe, to Berneval, about 5 miles east, to Purville, about 2.5 miles west of Dieppe and to Varengeville about 3 miles further west. Flank landings were scheduled to make surprise arrivals at 4:50 A.M. to destroy coastal batteries.

At about 3:47, the Canadians encountered a small German convoy off the coast, and the two forces exchanged fire until after 4 A.M. The Canadians arrived at Dieppe a few minutes late, at 5:07. At 5:12 A.M., destroyers started to bombard Dieppe with shells, and at 5:15 Hurricane planes attacked, at Puys as well as Dieppe. At 5:20 A.M., main landings at Dieppe were made, covered by a bombardment of shells from destroyers and by heavy air attack. A second wave went ashore at about 5:45 A.M. At about 5:50 A.M., new air fighters from England arrived, and German planes were in the sky as well.

The Germans, who were able to man their beach defenses, waited until the landing craft nearly touched shore before opening heavy fire with rifles, machine guns and howitzers. The Canadians were trapped by a high seawall. Within two or three hours, the Royal Regiment of Canada was nearly destroyed. Thirty-four officers and 727 men were killed. Two officers and 65 men, half of whom were wounded, were rescued and taken away, and another 16 officers and 264 men were captured by the Germans.

A comparison of the Nortons’ experience with the phases of the Dieppe raid showed consistencies between times and the changes in the noises they heard, with a few exceptions. The information in the French guidebook was not specific enough for them to have subconsciously matched their description to the real event after reading about it.

The Nortons, interviewed by psychical researchers G.W. Lambert and Kathleen Gray, came across as well balanced individuals who displayed no tendency to embellish their accounts, and no desire to prove they had had a paranormal experience. Dorothy Norton said she had been awakened by similar, but fainter, noises on the morning of July 30, but had not mentioned the experience to Agnes (who had not heard the noises) because she had not wanted to spoil the holiday with something mysterious.

Skeptics proposed other explanations for the experience, such as surf sounds, noise from commercial airplanes flying a nearby route across the English Channel, or noise from a dredger. Agnes Norton had served in the women’s Royal Naval Service during the war, however, and she probably would have been able to distinguish the sounds of the sea and of a single commercial aircraft, had those been the natural sources. The dredger was not in operation at the times corresponding to the Nortons’ experience.

Both women were familiar with the Versailles Haunting, a similar case in which two Englishwomen on holiday in France felt they had paranormal experiences in encountering the ghostly past. Skeptics also suggested that this familiarity may have subconsciously primed the Nortons to have their own experience. The possibility is remote, since the Norton women were not previously acquainted with the details of the Dieppe case.

Source:
https://occult-world.com/dieppe-raid-case/

@Yithian Thanks for posting, fascinating case.

So was the building itself haunted or was this a time-slip? My personal encounters with haunted buildings have all revolved around sound and have never actually seen anything. Have posted on here before the multiple-witness example of this back in the late-1990s at Dartington Hall:

"Really intrigued to read this opening post as I have previously posted on here how I experienced this twice at Dartington Hall, South Devon and in the presence of other witnesses. Both occasions were in the late-90s whilst winding down in the bar in the early hours after a long, busy day. The adjacent restaurant (old kitchen) and Great Hall had all been checked and locked as soon as the last customers had left. We were chatting in the bar with a 'staff drink' and no music playing or other distractions. On both occasions the sound of an audience of people clapping and not cheering but rather appreciative, approving chatter emanated from the Great Hall as if carried on the wind, that is is starting quietly, getting louder and then drifting away again.

We were attuned to applause from the Great Hall as there were regular concerts and plays staged in there and hearing this meant the interval rush was upon us. In fact, there had been performances in there for over half a century at that time, since the renovation of the Great Hall. None of us were in any doubt what we had heard, in fact one barman had scoffed at the first report of this applause from the locked and empty Hall and I will never forget the look on his face when he was there to witness it the second time...! Peter Underwood had written about music being hared from a locked room in the house attached tot eh Great Hall and there was a 'grey lady' sighting:"

https://www.dartington.org/kay-starr/

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/empty-building-felt-full-of-people.70763/#post-2293088

Still find these two incidents difficult to explain rationally and they arguably time-slips rather than a haunting

Last edited:
I had what I thought was a very minor breakdown, ironically while at a mental health-course meeting. I heard applause and muted conversation, presumably after a speech, issuing from the room next to ours; I'd previously seen, through the glass set into the door, that the room was empty. This incident greatly distressed me at the time and I completely put it down to my mental ill-health...until reading the posts above.

Such a mundane event but that in itself may be important: it perhaps suggests that time slips are not so easily explained away in a similarly flippant and sceptical manner as airy claims that every 'mad' person believes they're the reincarnation of Napoleon or Cleopatra. The 'everyday' quality of many unheralded and undramatic time slips might point to these being a kind of universal reality rather than personal fantasy or delusion.

This has reminded me of the time that a friend and I (aged about ten or eleven) snuck through a fence in her garden to 'explore' the house next door which was for sale. It was a huge place, the old Stationmaster's House which had been empty for ages, with a jungle of a garden. Off limits, of course, so we guiltily crept up to the house - we were only going to peep through the windows, not break in. When we got to what I remember being just outside the back door, we could hear what sounded like teacups clinking in saucers, and soft voices chatting.

As we were out of bounds, we both legged it back to the safety of her garden. But the house continued deserted, no bands of roaming Estate Agents showing the garden off or faces at the windows. And, in an empty house, would anyone have been drinking tea? Of course, there's the possibility that, in our heightened state of guilt (we were both very good girls and knew we were breaking the rules by being there) we'd heard something we mistook as teacups and voices, or the sound had maybe carried from somewhere else (although her house was quite a distance away and the only other house around). I sometimes wish I could go back to that time (about 1971) and go and look through the window of that old house...

This has reminded me of the time that a friend and I (aged about ten or eleven) snuck through a fence in her garden to 'explore' the house next door which was for sale. It was a huge place, the old Stationmaster's House which had been empty for ages, with a jungle of a garden. Off limits, of course, so we guiltily crept up to the house - we were only going to peep through the windows, not break in. When we got to what I remember being just outside the back door, we could hear what sounded like teacups clinking in saucers, and soft voices chatting.

As we were out of bounds, we both legged it back to the safety of her garden. But the house continued deserted, no bands of roaming Estate Agents showing the garden off or faces at the windows. And, in an empty house, would anyone have been drinking tea? Of course, there's the possibility that, in our heightened state of guilt (we were both very good girls and knew we were breaking the rules by being there) we'd heard something we mistook as teacups and voices, or the sound had maybe carried from somewhere else (although her house was quite a distance away and the only other house around). I sometimes wish I could go back to that time (about 1971) and go and look through the window of that old house...
Reminds me of the biker who came across the time-slip cafe in which a man and women who were presumably the proprietors, were doing the same task over and over. will see if I can dig it out.

You've reminded me of a case in Australia where a driver used a road for many miles that hadn't actually been built yet. It must have been somewhere on here that I read about it.
This is it:

There is an interesting future slip that I came across a few years ago in an author's personal site. Unfortunately when I searched for it recently it had vanished, and so had the file in my computer, so I wrote up the original story from my printout in a tidier way (pixieanne, the witness, had a rather casual approach to punctuation):

FUTURE TIME SLIP IN AUSTRALIA Posted originally on Anthony Peake website ca 2013, but no longer available.

Punctuation and spelling improved.

Hi,

I have also had an experience similar to these [previous posts]. I live in Australia and at the age of 23 travelled from Sydney in one state to the Sunshine Coast in another. At that time the highway was pretty much single lane, passing through most towns. During my holiday on the sunny coast I overheard some people talking of the great timecutting bypass around Newcastle, which is quite a large city. I was excited to try it on the way back, assuming that I must have missed the exit on my way up the coast, as I tended to be a bit of a day-dreamer, listening to my music up loud. Anyway, I made sure I paid close attention on my way back, and some distance outside a small town called Raymond Terrace, sure enough, there was my bypass. It was terrific, must have cut my time by about an hour. Some months later, I travelled back up the coast for a holiday with my then partner. It was shortly after the Newcastle earth quake, because we both made mention of what was happening on the news. It was another great time-saving trip there and back. It wasn't until later when we had an argument with someone regarding the new Newcastle bypass, who was adamant that it didn't exist, it was only in the planning stage, that I suppose we kind of wondered who was the “crazy” one, because we knew it was there. I had personally driven on it three times – twice with my partner. The next time we went up the coast on holiday, we couldn't find the bypass exit, we even ended up turning around to try and find it, but it wasn't there. It wasn't until years later that it came into existence in the entirety of which we drove. So I suppose the question is, did we experience a time slip or alternate universe, or was it an act of “consciousness?” I truly believed the road existed, and so it did, to the extent that I passed my belief to my partner, who in turn shared in the experience. Because it wasn't until there was doubt in my mind as to its reality that it was no longer there... I don't know. Pixieanne

Note:

The 1989 Newcastle earthquake occurred in Newcastle, New South Wales on Thursday, 28 December. The shock measured 5.6 on the Richter magnitude scale and was one of Australia's most serious natural disasters, killing 13 people and injuring more than 160.

This is it:

There is an interesting future slip that I came across a few years ago in an author's personal site. Unfortunately when I searched for it recently it had vanished, and so had the file in my computer, so I wrote up the original story from my printout in a tidier way (pixieanne, the witness, had a rather casual approach to punctuation):

FUTURE TIME SLIP IN AUSTRALIA Posted originally on Anthony Peake website ca 2013, but no longer available.

Punctuation and spelling improved.

Hi,

I have also had an experience similar to these [previous posts]. I live in Australia and at the age of 23 travelled from Sydney in one state to the Sunshine Coast in another. At that time the highway was pretty much single lane, passing through most towns. During my holiday on the sunny coast I overheard some people talking of the great timecutting bypass around Newcastle, which is quite a large city. I was excited to try it on the way back, assuming that I must have missed the exit on my way up the coast, as I tended to be a bit of a day-dreamer, listening to my music up loud. Anyway, I made sure I paid close attention on my way back, and some distance outside a small town called Raymond Terrace, sure enough, there was my bypass. It was terrific, must have cut my time by about an hour. Some months later, I travelled back up the coast for a holiday with my then partner. It was shortly after the Newcastle earth quake, because we both made mention of what was happening on the news. It was another great time-saving trip there and back. It wasn't until later when we had an argument with someone regarding the new Newcastle bypass, who was adamant that it didn't exist, it was only in the planning stage, that I suppose we kind of wondered who was the “crazy” one, because we knew it was there. I had personally driven on it three times – twice with my partner. The next time we went up the coast on holiday, we couldn't find the bypass exit, we even ended up turning around to try and find it, but it wasn't there. It wasn't until years later that it came into existence in the entirety of which we drove. So I suppose the question is, did we experience a time slip or alternate universe, or was it an act of “consciousness?” I truly believed the road existed, and so it did, to the extent that I passed my belief to my partner, who in turn shared in the experience. Because it wasn't until there was doubt in my mind as to its reality that it was no longer there... I don't know. Pixieanne

Note:

The 1989 Newcastle earthquake occurred in Newcastle, New South Wales on Thursday, 28 December. The shock measured 5.6 on the Richter magnitude scale and was one of Australia's most serious natural disasters, killing 13 people and injuring more than 160.
That's the one.
Cheers Carl.

So I suppose the question is, did we experience a time slip or alternate universe, or was it an act of “consciousness?” I truly believed the road existed, and so it did, to the extent that I passed my belief to my partner, who in turn shared in the experience. Because it wasn't until there was doubt in my mind as to its reality that it was no longer there... I don't know. Pixieanne
I am going for time slip because the idea that we can conjure civil engineering infrastructure using the power of our minds seems more fanciful!

Back