• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Slipping

I often think, that Dementia, to other people, may seem like a time slipping event, as they jump backwards when they have an event

We appear to have two threads on this subject. Maybe time for a merge.

We appear to have two threads on this subject. Maybe time for a merge.

We don't merge IHTM postings with threads elsewhere. The second (general) sweep of the IHTM section is pending, during which time 2nd or 3rd party stories may be moved elsewhere. In that sense, some measure of merging is already on our agenda.

Many thanks for accepting me into your group,i do appreciate it.

Before you read this i would just like to add that i used to work here as a gardener

Last summer here in the UK my wife and I we were out for our walk in the countryside of Leeds and on our return from our trip we always cross over Roundhay Park and over the arena(This is where the concerts and other events are held)This time upon the arena coming into view we both witnessed what looked like steel framing and a smell of what seemed like gunpowder and the ground was damp,it was a hot day by the way.All the people had disappeared who were there sunbathing and we could see someone banging with a hammer on the framework.Everything around us seemed a little bit different,ie the trees were smaller and lake was visible through the framework whereas today the trees are thick and you wouldn't see the lake.

What you see in the link is what we both wittenesed and as we walked a bit further on the arena was then back to how it would look normally

I did a bit of research and came up with this http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=200294_93156070&DISPLAY=FULL

I do hope that all this makes a bit of sense and we both know what we saw on that day.Many thanks

I hope that the link opens ok.

Edit:I just want to say many thanks for reading and understanding what i'm trying to say here as it all happened so quickly.Cheers

:welc:

Time slips / glitches are my most favourite of all unexplained phenomena and I love reading new ones. Your account is very interesting, and not least because Mr Zebra and I visited Leeds last year and had occasion to visit Roundhay Park twice during that visit, it is a lovely place and it helps me to imagine your experience because I am now somewhat familiar with the location. Didn't know about the 'soldier's field' though, thanks for that link.

Anyway... first of all it's interesting (and good!) that the two of you both shared the experience - because this reduces a 'hallucination' explanation.

Second of all.. did you experience any sort of 'Oz Factor'? (If you're not familiar with that term, it's something many (but not all) people who have experienced Time Slips have reported; a sort of sense of unease, of everything going quiet - all sounds ceasing - feeling detached... now, I know you mentioned you could see someone banging with a hammer - could you hear it as well?

Third of all.. you sound like you're very familiar with Roundhay Park so again this is a plus point because it means, I think, that you would be more attuned to the fact that it had changed, if that makes sense.

Anyway excellent first post :)

Last edited:
Hi all, I decided to join the board after seeing this website get mentioned on other ghostly forums and wanted to share my experiences.

I can totally understand the experience of a timeslip as this user has had above, and I hope I'm not taking over the board with my experience but because the user mentioned how quickly everything went back to normal and how strange this phenomenon is to experience, it tempted me to post my experience. I have written it down on a couple of spooky forums, so some users may possibly pick up and recall my stories.

So almost 5 years ago now, I went to a pub lunch in my local town for my brother's birthday. We are all gathered round at the bar chatting and greeting one another. This paticular pub is a weird layout in which when you walk in, there are benches to sit on but in other areas and rooms of the pub are chairs and tables. As I'm stood infront of the benches next to the bar, everyone is deep in conversation and I happen to glance over directly infront of me at the bench to see an old man sitting on it with an (obviously) modern newspaper and a dog by his side. I don't know how to explain this, but suddenly this man and his dog... Vanished, and instead were two ladies in the big "bushy" Victorian style dresses with the old fashioned hats sat on this bench. There was now a cake stand and they had 2 cups of tea with saucers and were deep in conversation laughing and talking to each other, not once did they acknowledge my existence, it was like I was watching a film. This happened for a good few seconds, 2 very old fashioned newspapers laid out on the bench infront of them and I was obviously thinking "what on earth" to myself, as nobody else was acknowledging this. As soon as these ladies appeared it within a second went back to the old man, his pint, newspaper and dog. When we all got seated from the bar to a side sort of room with actual table and chairs for the meal, the placemats laid out infront of us had the outside of the pub back in the early 1900's with women in the exact same dress as the two I saw minutes before. I was really dumbfounded, although not scared, fascinated.

I don't understand myself, I was 16 at the time so not drunk and had literally just arrived, I am not under any medication at this time nor experienced anything like this before/since. I am convinced that I experienced a timeslip.

I wonder if there's any way of tracing the history of the pub, like was it a Victorian tearoom at some point? Or did they serve tea and cakes in Victorian taverns? Have you never been intrigued enough to do more digging and find out more?

Hi all, I decided to join the board after seeing this website get mentioned on other ghostly forums and wanted to share my experiences.

I can totally understand the experience of a timeslip as this user has had above, and I hope I'm not taking over the board with my experience but because the user mentioned how quickly everything went back to normal and how strange this phenomenon is to experience, it tempted me to post my experience. I have written it down on a couple of spooky forums, so some users may possibly pick up and recall my stories.

So almost 5 years ago now, I went to a pub lunch in my local town for my brother's birthday. We are all gathered round at the bar chatting and greeting one another. This paticular pub is a weird layout in which when you walk in, there are benches to sit on but in other areas and rooms of the pub are chairs and tables. As I'm stood infront of the benches next to the bar, everyone is deep in conversation and I happen to glance over directly infront of me at the bench to see an old man sitting on it with an (obviously) modern newspaper and a dog by his side. I don't know how to explain this, but suddenly this man and his dog... Vanished, and instead were two ladies in the big "bushy" Victorian style dresses with the old fashioned hats sat on this bench. There was now a cake stand and they had 2 cups of tea with saucers and were deep in conversation laughing and talking to each other, not once did they acknowledge my existence, it was like I was watching a film. This happened for a good few seconds, 2 very old fashioned newspapers laid out on the bench infront of them and I was obviously thinking "what on earth" to myself, as nobody else was acknowledging this. As soon as these ladies appeared it within a second went back to the old man, his pint, newspaper and dog. When we all got seated from the bar to a side sort of room with actual table and chairs for the meal, the placemats laid out infront of us had the outside of the pub back in the early 1900's with women in the exact same dress as the two I saw minutes before. I was really dumbfounded, although not scared, fascinated.

I don't understand myself, I was 16 at the time so not drunk and had literally just arrived, I am not under any medication at this time nor experienced anything like this before/since. I am convinced that I experienced a timeslip.

Brilliant! I want to have lunch there!

This is a quite unusual case, actually. Did the benches look especially old? Is it possible that they had always been there in that position? If so, and if there is evidence that the pub had originally been a tea room in Edwardian times, then it might well be a time slip. The one feature that throws some doubt into the equation is the placemats you describe -- when you say it showed women with the "exact same dress," do you mean exactly identical with the clothing of the ladies you saw, or just the same Edwardian style?

This is a quite unusual case, actually. Did the benches look especially old? Is it possible that they had always been there in that position? If so, and if there is evidence that the pub had originally been a tea room in Edwardian times, then it might well be a time slip. The one feature that throws some doubt into the equation is the placemats you describe -- when you say it showed women with the "exact same dress," do you mean exactly identical with the clothing of the ladies you saw, or just the same Edwardian style?
I’m interested in the clothes. I wouldn’t call Edwardian style bushy. It was more sleek than earlier Victorian wear.

It would be interesting to delve into the history of this pub to see what it might have been in the past. In the old days Ladies did not usually go inside pubs unless they were 'fast and loose' or worked there. However they would attend certain events usually in Hotels etc often with a partner. However it does sound like 2 ladies of leisure having a high tea experience. Which would fit with the Hotel. Roughly what time did you see them?

Welcome aboard.

Was there any other change that you noticed when this occurred?

Sounds? Temperature? Anyone else notice? Anyone else notice any changes with you?

Good account and thanks for sharing.

Hi ForteanaUser98,

A fascinating experience. I think I echo others in wondering about the pub's past. What was it's name? Maybe we can dig something up about it on here.

Incidentally if you are interested in hearing others' experiences of potential timeslips we do have a dedicated thread for that here:

Time or Dimensional Slips

It's quite a long thread now, but we do have an index of sorts which tracks the majority of experiences discussed:

Time or Dimensional Slips Master Post

Feel free to drop by there.

Hi all, thanks for your responses and interest to my post. I'm going to respond to questions in one message here:

Apologies for using the term "bushy dress", I was typing fast the other night as I was having dinner and I honestly couldn't think of the name for the type of dress worn, I should have researched really. But the types of dress were dating back to the early 1900's for sure.

As for the room, it stayed exactly the same. The temp and weather were the same, it was really odd because I was the only person who experienced it and everyone else didn't notice or were laughing and talking in the background.

I know it's probably hard to believe, what with the transition from the man and his dog to these 2 ladies, back to the man and his dog.. I can't remember in exact detail the transition, just that my eyes didn't move away the whole time it was like a blink of an eye although I didn't blink, if that makes any sense? It was truly fascinating, like someone had put a hologram realistic film on infront of my eyes.

The women on the placemats' dresses were identical to the ones I saw beforehand in this supposed timeslip, which kind of confirmed things for me and made it all more shocking, it kind of delivered me a bit more proof. I don't know why, but I've never researched the history of the building due to already finding out via the placemats that this pub/place was around during the Victorian times (which is the ladies I saw attire era). The pub is called the "Churchill Tavern" in Ramsgate. I've just had a look at the inside of the pub and the layout of the benches seems to have slightly moved from when I was there. I can't remember the exact layout before of the benches, as it was almost 5 years ago now. But if you look, you can actually see how I would have been stood at the bar in close enough proximity to these ladies infront of me;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?aut...,ru_q:The%20Churchill%20Tavern&viewerState=im

And to me (like someone said above), it seemed like two friends catching up with each other.

Extract from Wikitravel

The town's heyday was the Regency and Victorian eras when the well-heeled would holiday in the town, savouring its genteel culture.

I don't know why, but I've never researched the history of the building due to already finding out via the placemats that this pub/place was around during the Victorian times (which is the ladies I saw attire era). The pub is called the "Churchill Tavern" in Ramsgate. I've just had a look at the inside of the pub and the layout of the benches seems to have slightly moved from when I was there. I can't remember the exact layout before of the benches, as it was almost 5 years ago now. But if you look, you can actually see how I would have been stood at the bar in close enough proximity to these ladies infront of me;

Interestingly, at the link Vida Loca, posts above:

Over the years, The Churchill Tavern has transformed from being the site of the Isabella Baths (1816), a boarding house and the Paragon Hotel (1868), the Van Gogh Pub (1961), Steptoe’s Pub (1983) and finally to it’s current state as The Churchill Tavern (1988). The Churchill Tavern is now known as "the best country pub in town". It isn’t just us who think so, we’ve won the CAMRA pub of the year award for Thanet twice now.

As a Hotel in the 1800s I don't suppose it would have been implausible for two women meeting up for Tea to be a regular occurrence.

Since the women appeared only briefly and were supposedly identical to the ones on the placemat, I wonder if you might have experienced some variation of this: http://brainden.com/afterimages.htm
It can't be exactly that, as the women were moving and having an animated chat. But could the witness's brain have created a kind of movie out of the static image? I wonder if there is any way of finding out who designed the place mat, and whether they might have worked it up from an actual contemporary photo?

interesting, probably the kind of pub with a ton of old images on the walls, one of the photos on their blog shows this, would be interesting to get someone back in the room, ideally the OP if amenable

interesting, probably the kind of pub with a ton of old images on the walls, one of the photos on their blog shows this, would be interesting to get someone back in the room, ideally the OP if amenable
Great idea. Might even be possible to ask someone there who prepared that placemat, and whether they can be contacted.

Sorry, I've had a busy week. I definitely don't think my mind was influenced by the placemats. It literally happened before of seeing them both, then I went and sat down 10 or so minutes later for lunch and it confirmed for me what I saw. Such as when people say they saw a ghost, and they speak to someone who shows them a picture if their grandad and it's the same as the ghost kind of thing. Seeing the placemats kind of just confirmed to me that this pub was around in the early Victorian times and the same attire as the women wore. However I am open to ideas and people's takes on the whole timeslip phenomenon. I certainly have never experienced it before or since. The placemats would have been there by I assume the landlord of the pub. As Carl said, these women were actually moving around and having conversation, laughing and talking, joking with the tea and saucers. It could be down to some kind of static.

Hi all, thanks for your responses and interest to my post. I'm going to respond to questions in one message here:

Apologies for using the term "bushy dress", I was typing fast the other night as I was having dinner and I honestly couldn't think of the name for the type of dress worn, I should have researched really. But the types of dress were dating back to the early 1900's for sure.

As for the room, it stayed exactly the same. The temp and weather were the same, it was really odd because I was the only person who experienced it and everyone else didn't notice or were laughing and talking in the background.

I know it's probably hard to believe, what with the transition from the man and his dog to these 2 ladies, back to the man and his dog.. I can't remember in exact detail the transition, just that my eyes didn't move away the whole time it was like a blink of an eye although I didn't blink, if that makes any sense? It was truly fascinating, like someone had put a hologram realistic film on infront of my eyes.

The women on the placemats' dresses were identical to the ones I saw beforehand in this supposed timeslip, which kind of confirmed things for me and made it all more shocking, it kind of delivered me a bit more proof. I don't know why, but I've never researched the history of the building due to already finding out via the placemats that this pub/place was around during the Victorian times (which is the ladies I saw attire era). The pub is called the "Churchill Tavern" in Ramsgate. I've just had a look at the inside of the pub and the layout of the benches seems to have slightly moved from when I was there. I can't remember the exact layout before of the benches, as it was almost 5 years ago now. But if you look, you can actually see how I would have been stood at the bar in close enough proximity to these ladies infront of me;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?authuser=0&sxsrf=ACYBGNQVMVLwjf_mwVp27qCK47lBqIOT7Q:1569320251101&source=hp&ei=O-2JXc-RA4GTlwTGgL_4BQ&q=the+churchill+tavern+ramsgate&oq=the+churchill+tavern&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.1.1.0l6j0i22i30l2.92591.101696..102212...8.0..0.264.2499.22j4j1....2..0....1.......8..35i362i39j35i39j0i228j46i67j0i131i67j46i131j0i67j0i131j46i39i275j46i228j46i39j0i131i10i67j46j0i20i263j46i10i275j0i10j0i13j46i13.6dNCnBsbpXA#imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOJa-eeyQCGNZ52_45N0dD5k8QgZcr986mAgBCU&lkt=LocalPoiPhotos&trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:2999589734275173426,rc_q:The%20Churchill%20Tavern,ru_q:The%20Churchill%20Tavern&viewerState=im

And to me (like someone said above), it seemed like two friends catching up with each other.
I'm guessing that was re-named at some point, after Churchill and so can't do a look up for you in the 19thC newspapers or I would.

Pubs often changed names numerous times in the 19thC in any case. It would have been interesting to see if it ever was a tea room or the building had some other function in the past...

I remember my great aunt - who was quite a character - and born around 1900 - saying when she was a young woman she horrified everyone by going into a certain pub. Especially as a young woman alone it wasn't the done thing. But she had sold some poultry at market and was damned if she wasn't going for a drink afterwards, same as the men. But even two 'respectable' women in a pub together in late Victorian or Edwardian times, would be unusual. So I'd lean towards thinking that building had a different use at that time...

Actually, looking at the photo, my bet is that was once an hotel which would be more consistent with what you saw.

Henry - no, I haven't. Merely walked past it since. I've moved away from the area also.

Ghost In The Machine - thankyou for the info. Perhaps it was a little different in those days and could well have been a hotel or something similar. I wish I had asked for history of the place when I was there. Perhaps if I do go back to that area I will go in and inquire.

Henry - no, I haven't. Merely walked past it since. I've moved away from the area also.

Ghost In The Machine - thankyou for the info. Perhaps it was a little different in those days and could well have been a hotel or something similar. I wish I had asked for history of the place when I was there. Perhaps if I do go back to that area I will go in and inquire.
I think some genealogy sites allow you to search by address so if we have the address it should be possible to go back every ten years to 1841.

Back