• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Team Expert On Archaeology Planning Review

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Lets not just bulldoze over the past.

Time Team expert says new planning review must protect archaeology​

By Nic Rigby and Shaun Peel
BBC Politics East

Published9 hours ago
Archaeologist Helen Geake at West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village

image captionArchaeologist Helen Geake, filmed at West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village in Suffolk, was involved in the original Channel 4 Time Team series and is now taking part in the Patreon-funded digital revival of the programme

Time Team Anglo-Saxon expert Helen Geake has called on the government to put archaeology at the centre of its new review of planning legislation.

Archaeologists fear a new planning bill might fast-track developments, leaving little time to dig sites.

Ms Geake welcomed a decision on Thursday by housing secretary Michael Gove to pause the bill and review it.

The government said it was determined to protect archaeology and build on the protections already in place. The Planning Bill, which was confirmed in the Queen's Speech in May, had been championed by the previous housing secretary Robert Jenrick.

Ms Geake, who lives in Woolpit, Suffolk, and was involved in the Channel 4 series for more than 10 years, said there was concern a push to earmark areas for development could lose archaeological evidence.

"If you have areas for growth and renewal with automatic planning permission then there is no chance to insert conditions for archaeological assessments," said Ms Geake, a Green Party councillor. "If you can't put in archaeological conditions, we could lose so much archaeology."

Stephen Macaulay, deputy regional manager with Oxford Archaeology East, said he has been working well in partnership both with developer Endurance Estates and the local council on archaeological digs as new homes and a school are built on the edge of Ely in Cambridgeshire.

"We have found the remains of an Iron Age village and a few years ago an Anglo-Saxon cemetery was found at another part of the estate," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-58517223

Lets not just bulldoze over the past.

Time Team expert says new planning review must protect archaeology​

By Nic Rigby and Shaun Peel
BBC Politics East

Published9 hours ago
Archaeologist Helen Geake at West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village

image captionArchaeologist Helen Geake, filmed at West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village in Suffolk, was involved in the original Channel 4 Time Team series and is now taking part in the Patreon-funded digital revival of the programme

Time Team Anglo-Saxon expert Helen Geake has called on the government to put archaeology at the centre of its new review of planning legislation.

Archaeologists fear a new planning bill might fast-track developments, leaving little time to dig sites.

Ms Geake welcomed a decision on Thursday by housing secretary Michael Gove to pause the bill and review it.

The government said it was determined to protect archaeology and build on the protections already in place. The Planning Bill, which was confirmed in the Queen's Speech in May, had been championed by the previous housing secretary Robert Jenrick.

Ms Geake, who lives in Woolpit, Suffolk, and was involved in the Channel 4 series for more than 10 years, said there was concern a push to earmark areas for development could lose archaeological evidence.

"If you have areas for growth and renewal with automatic planning permission then there is no chance to insert conditions for archaeological assessments," said Ms Geake, a Green Party councillor. "If you can't put in archaeological conditions, we could lose so much archaeology."

Stephen Macaulay, deputy regional manager with Oxford Archaeology East, said he has been working well in partnership both with developer Endurance Estates and the local council on archaeological digs as new homes and a school are built on the edge of Ely in Cambridgeshire.

"We have found the remains of an Iron Age village and a few years ago an Anglo-Saxon cemetery was found at another part of the estate," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-58517223
As an aside, Time Team was great Sunday evening tv viewing.

Wasn't it? These days you'd have drones flying over to show what was going on. I bet Tony & co. would've loved that.
It really was. It was the ideal winter evening prog. Mick Aston left though because they started showing things that were less archaelogical. (?) I mean who came up with that idea? ''Let's do less archaeology on this archaeology programme''. Marvelous insight.

It was a good programme, full of real characters. I thought it was spoiled a touch by the "only 3 days" nonsense, and one or two extraordinary conclusions that they appeared to draw from little evidence, but I could still watch it all day long. No effing and jeffing, no shouty bits, just good entertainment with occasionally a really good find. The only programme I can think of that comes close is "The Repair Shop" - even clones of that programme are just, well, naff.

. The only programme I can think of that comes close is "The Repair Shop" - even clones of that programme are just, well, naff.

And a lot now though have that ridiculous 'shaky camera' nonsense that drives me mad. Can't watch programmes or films that do it. Even some serious documentaries do it. I wrote to the BBC many times about it and at first they said it was the wind (!) but when I pointed out what a load of balls that was and that a camera can be steady as a rock even on a boat in a gale, they then admitted that they do it sometimes to add 'excitement' and 'suspense', then finally admitted that a lot of people don't like it- But still kept doing it!

It was a good programme, full of real characters. I thought it was spoiled a touch by the "only 3 days" nonsense, and one or two extraordinary conclusions that they appeared to draw from little evidence, but I could still watch it all day long. No effing and jeffing, no shouty bits, just good entertainment with occasionally a really good find. The only programme I can think of that comes close is "The Repair Shop" - even clones of that programme are just, well, naff.
Eddie Izzard's speed archaeology

I am vice chair of a local archaeological society and one of our younger members worked with Carenza Lewis on a project in Lincolnshire. Poor lad tries to drop her name into the conversation at every opportunity!

Yes, real archaeology takes three days.

This is so we can get two digs into one week.

And drink all day Sunday.

Im a real archaeologist and I know this.
I knew it !

Yes, real archaeology takes three days.

This is so we can get two digs into one week.

And drink all day Sunday.

Im a real archaeologist and I know this.
The time in the pub is what it's all about!

Back