• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Travel: Scientific Plausibility / Theories / Research

Is physical time travel possible?

• Yes

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • "Dude! Where's my DeLorean?"

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

HEY,
IS ANYONE INTERESTED IN TIME TRAVEL? DO ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY THEORIES? I WOULD LIKE TO CHIT CHAT WITH ANYONE THAT HAS ANYTHING INTERESTING THEY HAVE TO SAY ABOUT TIME TRAVEL. REPLY OR E-MAIL ME. ZERO

There's an up side and a down side.

On the up side, we're all travelling in time.:)

On the down side, we're all going at the same rate - one second per second.:D

Didn't someone do an experiment with an atomic clock or summat once? They set two for exactly the same time, sent one zooming around in a ridiculously fast aircraft, brought it back down, and the clock was a fraction of a nanosecond different to the other one.

Not sure what that proves, but it I distinctly remember it from off of the telly once.

Apparently, clocks in satellites have to be reset to the correct time on a regular basis because of relativistic effects. (To remain 'geostationary', they obviously have to travel quite fast!)

uh, time travel... okay....
We exist in a 4D world, right...
Up/down, left/right, foward/back, and time.
The first three, spatial dimensions exist at right angles to each other.... and time exists at right angles to these...(i don't get that either) so technically if you could put them under sufficent pressure you could displace the dimension and then the time would move into the axis vacated by the others... and time travel could be obtained by moving in a particular direction....
Besides, as someone said, we all travel in time, we just move at a fixed rate in one direction only.....
Besides, if you went messing around in time, there is really nothing that you could do to contaminate the past with your own presence, because you would alreadly have been there... so it would have already happened... or something like that...
This message just goes to prove that you shouldn't talk about things that you don't understand...

And, if you go faster than the speed of light, then apparently you go back in time...
I know the laws of science say that you can't go faster then light, but the laws were there to be broken.

One time travel theory is that if we reduce the speed of a beam of light using various methods and then fire two or three more at it from various directions... and then get them spinning around a bit, it will turn one spacial dimension into time instead. Just walk along the gaps between light beams and you can go back/ foward in time. Got that one from Young Scientist a few months ago (shorten a bit though).

XCOM:)

Time- not a constant

Haven't 'they' found that time is not a constant, and that the speed it travels is sometimes faster or slightly slower than we thought ?????

I know that they can and have managed to slow time to a walking pace, by passing a beam of light through an incredibly dense lense. The beam of light, when it it was traveling through the lense, was then so slow, the experimentors managed to walk to the other side of the tube in which it was held, before it emerged at the other end.......

Mind boggling.......

Moggadon

The speed of time?

Isn't it something like: gravity effects time and the faster you travel the less your gravity becomes and therefore time for you slows down in comparison to time for everthing else around, or something?

Somebody should look it up somewhere.

-Justin.

Mass aswell

I think that, aswell as Gravity and speed ( velocity ) you also have to take into account the mass of the body that you are monitoring............

Moggadon

Physicist to the rescue (or a young one anyway!)
Space and time are infact one thing. Affecting one screws with the other. To affect time we use gravity. The higher gravity, the slower time travels RELATIVE to the rest of us. This is why time slows as we approach the speed of light, as E=MC2 means as energy (speed) increases so does our mass. More mass = more gravity.
Anymore questions? :D
X-COM :)

The way I see it....time is a medium upon which we imprint our three dimensional activities.

In order to exist in these three dimensions, we must have something that will "record" our existence, thoughts, etc.

Something like the way the sand on the beach takes an impression of your foot when you walk on it. Because the grains of sand are smaller then the overall size of your foot, you leave a mark.

I think the speed of light acts as the sand on a beach. We move more slowly (i.e.: smaller,) than 286,000 miles per second, so the actions in these three dimensions are "recorded" or impressed upon, the "grains" or particles of light at sub-light speed.

In order to move through time, you would have to superceed the "recording speed" of 286,000 mps. That way, the hyper-speed would then give you a hyper-vantage point at which to observe three dimensional actions that occur at our present cognition of the speed of light and anything that occurs at sub-light speeds.

You would only then be able to "read" the actions of the past.....in the then "slower" light-speed "recordings."

I don't believe you will ever travel to the future. Once you are there, it becomes a past event.

I ususally come up with these scenarios at 4 am when I can't sleep.

That in itself is a form of time-travel.....being aware (somewhat) while everyone else hurtles through the fourth dimension blissfully unaware of the passage of time.

Sudi

Reactions: Doc
time travelling

The formula of course:

E = mc2(squared basically)

E = Energy

m = meters (per second)

c2(squared) = the speed of light

so basically E is your fuel m is the distance you need to travel and c2 the speed - a constant - at the speed of light.

the problem is that your mass increases as you near the speed of light, so to provide more thrust for your spaceship you need more fuel and therefore a bigger ship which means you need to be bigger if you want to go faster but this also means that you are going to be heavier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which poses a real headache!

The solution would be to convert yourself to pure energy

Which poses another headache!

nothins that a few aspirin won't cure..................

it's all about magnets - like the basic experiment of two opposing magnets well along these principles you could create a "energy field" around your object (anthing you want)

say it's a craft .............well you then fold space and release and bingo! you have travelled without moving.
OK OK so this is only for covering vast distances in space
but space , time it's all part of the same thing,
so that's how you time travel
-and that's Magic!

DK

:D

Yeah, they did find that time is not constant, as mentioned in the plane clock thingy.
For the record; time is actually not a physical presence either.
It's just a matter of how we percive it......

DerekH said:
Don't the sub-atomic particles known as tachyons travel faster than light, and backwards in time?

Could be they do, Derek, but nobody ain't found 'em yet. They're just a speculative proposal from some physicists (I could look it up, but it's so speculative I can't be bothered).

This is all to do with the 'twin' paradox, ain't it? Basically (and very roughly), you get twins, right, and send one to Sirius or something, travelling at a fraction less then the speed of light. When he gets back; horrors! his brother is now older then him. No, hang on, it's something else. Um.

Actually, John Keel spent years collating info from the various discarnate personalities that pester contactees. The overwhelming impression that he got was that they were totally lost in time, unable to work out when or where they were.

It's interesting (possibly from a psychological point of view on the part of the individual who has the experience) that many UFO entities put an odd emphasis on asking the time of day and acting oddly when told. As though they were trying to communicate something about the nature of time...

'Acting oddly' being a relative term here, of course.

Re: Tachyons

I knew I'd heard of them, but it's been a while since I saw the inside of a phsics lab! :(

Okay, while irrelevant messages sprout like cabbages :D , I'll try to return to the original topic with this amazing word:

OOPARTS.

Out-Of-Place-ARTefacts, that is to say (courtesy of Ivan T. Sanderson). Take the seamed iron spheres that came from deep in the coal mines in South Africa, f'rexample. Or the booted foortprint with the trilobite crushed into the heelprint. Or the bell-shaped metal vessel that was blasted out of an Old Red Sandstone (was it?) quarry. Or the iron-headed hammer, its handle of partly-carbonised spruce wood, that was found in a 400-million-year-old sandstone concretion.

There are many reports similar to these in the Fortean Annals, of course, and one view of them is that they are the products of civilisations of ancient times. Another is that they may be the debris of ancient extraterrestrial visitors (I don't mean elderly ones, though they might have been).

But another view is that they may have been left behind by time travellers, and this finds support in items such as the English coin (Victorian? I'm not looking any of this up) found enclosed in limestone.

Fort has several accounts of this type, and there are many more in the literature. They *may* indicate the activities of time travellers, or they *may* just indicate that time, space, and everything we think we understand are fundamentally screwed up ... Who was it wrote, "Reality is an illusion caused by chronic alcohol deficiency?" (I know the answer, but I'll give the rest of you a chance to shine. Possibly to correct the quote, too -- remember, I'm not looking any of this up!)

Accourding to thermodynamics, time is read as how much chaos is in the universe. As time goes on, the universe is less ordered and it's energy spread out. To get more organised you must go back in time (good answer to 'go tidy your room!')

Just a thought on this subject...

Well, where do I begin?

Right... I've read only so many time travel, parallel worlds, and so on forth and trying to understand black holes and the theory of relativity as well... (my head hurts) ;)

Anyways, time travel is, techinally, IMPOSSIBLE. But hold on there. I'll do this in point form...

1) You cannot, never will, and is impossible to even think about travelling to the future, even though you've got the state-of-art electronic gimzos and an endless supply of $$$ from some weird billioniare or the goverment.

Why? Because history is history. It's already happened. Even the VERY existence of your present self in the past can create a HUGE chain reaction... chaos theory.

2) It is, of course, possible to time travel to the FUTURE. But it could be easier if you just went to sleep (cryongics) and then woke up later on. But another problem. You can't go back home, because it's in the past now.

3) As for parallel worlds, (sorry... I was laughing a bit too hard...) it is impossible, because if that theory existed, well... I can't begin to imagine how many worlds are out there... sure, maybe there MAY be a parallel world or two, but far, far somewhere out there and filled with blue-skinned people that has an international law to wear ballet shoes and to wear a rubbish bag at all times.

Thus, my opinion is this: You can travel to the future, but you cannot travel to the past.

But hold on there (again!) Time travel to the past is POSSIBLE, in this way... say, maybe, you can set some kind of timer so that, when you travel to the future, the timer will switch on, and bang! You're pulled back... but it may not work, as it would be very complicated to let you wander around in the future for, say, a hour and then 'pull' you back. But if you want to go to the PAST, to when there were dinosaurs and our hairy ancestors, then you need someone there to 'pull' you there, which may be impossible as there is no one... but... still, you could sit around with your fingers crossed that someone, far in the past, would 'accidentally' press a button in their neat gimzos and 'pull' you to their 'present'. Then as for going back to where you were first, easy, as it's then in the future.

Well, thats all... I'm going back to obsessing over the theory of relativity... I've ALMOST got it figured out... :p

No, you don't understand the parallel universe concept.
It means that in another dimension, humans like us are co-existing in the same space and time as us. Only in different dimensions. Theoretically there is an infinite number of PUs because every one had different concequences for different events, for example, Germany won WW2, or Gore became president instead of Bush, or Russia got to the moon first...and so-on. It doesn't mean that they are in a different part of the universe, only on a different dimensional frequency. They occupy the same space and time as we do, so they could be the explanation for ghosts and such like.

Loch Ness=In their dimension, dinosaurs never became extinct.
Ghosts=Germany won and the styles of the 40s never changed and are still the same
Aliens/UFOs=Humans never evolved but they did.
Bigfoot=Neanderthals never died out.
Roswell=Our 'Alien' counterparts were experimenting with new trans-dimensional warp technology and it went wrong. We just picked up the peices and engineered it for our use, and now we are capable of TD warping...

And all the above anomolies are simply dimensional displacements and distortions that occur every so often. Those times are when the events needed to produce a burst of energy big enough to distort time/space are carried out, like a nuclear blast or blackhole ripping apart the fabric of the space/ time plain.
Pre 20th Century event were just one-offs. There are portals into the other dimensions and some creatures just stumble through, like Bigfoot, Yeti, The Grey man of Ben McDuey and the Loch Ness monster. Of course tha bErmuda Triangle is one of several portals on our world alon, but I suspect Mars and our Moon may have them as well!
You've got to admit, it does explain a lot...

The parrallel universe theory always annoys me...

It's all very well saying there's a universe where Nazis won the war etc...

...but, for example, there must be millions of universes where, say, a poster I've got on my wall is in every conceivable point that it could possibly be on the walls in this room. Then there are universes where the blu tack on the back of the poster is at every conceivable point on the back of the poster, for each of those universes. Then there are universes where the blu tack is every conceivable shape and size a blob of blu tack can be, for each of those universes... and so on, and so on.

It just gets silly!

What is time and how do you measure it anyway? Speed of light? But then wouldn't time stop inside a black hole? Just a thought.

the unbreakable law ...

I have always been intrigued by time travel and I think that most people are because who wouldn't like to glimpse at the future or change something in the past but I think the most unique and interesting theory has to be from Stephen King.
I was watching the two-parter movie "The Langoliers" and it was theorised in the film that you couldn't travel backwards in time because the whole world would be used and second-hand, all the food stale and tasteless and all the fuel inflammable. Likewise it is theorised that you cannot travel forward into the future because although everything would be normal there wouldn't be any people living there.

BTW, Donkameleon I think the formula you're thinking of in describing the increase of mass as you increase your speed tends toward the speed of light is the Lorenz equation which states that

Mv = Mo/(1/(v-squared - c-squared))^1/2

Mv = mass at speed v
Mo = mass at rest
v = velocity
c = speed of light (3x10^8 m/s)

Therefore as v-->c
=> Mv --> infinity

v cannot exceed c because then the root would be complex.

Sorry, everyone but the part inside the root in the equation should read:

(1/(c-squared - v-squared))

:eek:

Time Travel THEORIES

hey,
can anyone one hook me up with some good time travel theories? i wanna hear anything and everything you have to say about time travel. whether it is possible or impossible tell me.
ZERO:confused:

It might explain why you suddenly find yourself in a dimension with one sock missing, or where an essay you thought was fantastic suddenly degrades to a 52% just before it gets marked...

Back