• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Travel Suggested / Ascribed To Explain OOPArts & Other Odd Evidence

Here's the problem ... Even though the location issue has been resolved, we're still faced with the timeframe issue (i.e., when the photograph was taken).

I'm unable to locate the woman photo among the Mary Evans Picture Library collection(s). The MEPL collections' photos illustrating the location (Inverness Street Market, Camden) are uniformly annotated as dating from "Jan 1962 - May 1964."

As far as I can tell the woman photo is apparently "owned" by Historic England (along with thousands of other John Gay photos).

This photo is featured in the Historic England article "Racism and Resistance":

https://historicengland.org.uk/rese...ngland/a-brief-history/racism-and-resistance/

... in which it's annotated "Photo taken by John Gay 1946-59."

The Historic England photo collections index page for this photo:

https://historicengland.org.uk/serv...tional-images/street-market-north-london-3943

... similarly states "Photograph taken 1946-1959."

NOTE: If I understand the Historic England collections data correctly, the woman photo was made from a negative (as opposed to a print) contained in their collection. This may explain why I can only find an apparently "original source" version at Historic England and why the woman photo doesn't seem to be included in other John Gay collections.

By rejecting the relevance of the market overview photo, we cannot invoke its alleged timeframe with respect to the woman photo.

Similarly, we'd have to assume John Gay visited and photographed the Inverness Street Market only once if we wish to conclude the later dates attributed to this woman photo are viable, much less "correct."

That's very tempting, but ... The fact that Gay spent so much of his career photographing street market scenes doesn't conclusively rule out the possibility he visited the Inverness Street scene multiple times over a period of years.

If Historic England's indexing is reliable, he indeed visited the Inverness Street Market multiple times. Here's another photo from that market annotated "Photograph taken 1960 - 1965":

https://historicengland.org.uk/serv...onal-images/inverness-street-camden-town-9251

We have a Terminus ante quem*; the photo was taken before 1971, when decimalisation occurred. This is consistent with the 1962-64 date, and so are the hairstyles. I don't think we'll get much closer than that, unless we can find out when they put the pig on the wall.

(*date before which)

-----------------------------
I've just realised that I have a book by John Betjeman with photographs by John Gay; London's Historic Railway Stations (1972). He was a very good photographer, and was active throughout the 1960s as well as before and afterwards. It is not impossible that some of the photos were posed using his friends and acquaintances, but most are unposed, candid street photos.

Another John Gay image in Inverness Street Market. This one looks a bit more 1950s.
5925af9c5eb0b814d28dc02ce3a444c5.jpg

We have a Terminus ante quem*; the photo was taken before 1971, when decimalisation occurred. This is consistent with the 1962-64 date, and so are the hairstyles. I don't think we'll get much closer than that, unless we can find out when they put the pig on the wall. (*date before which) ...

For the record ... I checked to see if any clues might be obtained with regard to the Foodfare supermarket.

Anthony Jackson's Foodfare (the entire chain) was sold off to Victor Value in December(?) 1965. If the Camden Inverness Street Foodfare was re-branded (signage, etc.) that would push the latest possible date for consistency back to very late 1965 or 1966.

On the other hand ... The Foodfare presence isn't depicted in the woman photo, so we have no basis for correlating her photo with the Foodfare store. There's also the possibility that particular Foodfare was or wasn't present at the time the woman was photographed. Even if we knew the timespan for the Foodfare's presence it probably wouldn't help in determining the woman photo's timeframe.

Another John Gay image in Inverness Street Market. This one looks a bit more 1950s. ...

If nothing else, the fact everyone in the photo is wearing a coat indicates Gay visited and photographed the Inverness Street Market on more than one occasion.

Great detective work @EnolaGaia .

I apologise but I missed the updates to this thread from three weeks ago.

Regarding the famous ooparts, I've read read them all, but the one thing they all seem to be lacking (I am hoping that someone corrects me) is any photographic evidence or better still the location of said object, until such is produced I will take a more skeptical approach

I would appear that like many other Fortean tales ooparts have been amplified by the 100's of mystery books that have been produced and will continue to be produced but with little investigation, still it makes a good story I guess

Back