• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Travel Suggested / Ascribed To Explain OOPArts & Other Odd Evidence

If you're from the future and immune, 2020/21 would be a great time to go back to because you could visit loads of places where there was hardly anyone around. You'd have lots of landmarks all to yourself. Just remember to buy a mask to blend in if there is anyone about.

If you're from the future and immune, 2020/21 would be a great time to go back to because you could visit loads of places where there was hardly anyone around. You'd have lots of landmarks all to yourself. Just remember to buy a mask to blend in if there is anyone about.
Bring lots of money to pay the fines when the rozzers bust you for breaching covid restrictions too lol

I've never thought this was photoshopped.

I always just figured it was just a younger man amongst a crowd of older people, dressed in a more modern style than the other more traditonally-attired older folk. I think a lot of the mystery is a result of the majority of us (myself included) having no idea how young people...and maybe slightly more exotic young people, dressed in the 1940s.

Agree.
It looks early 1950's.
Most of the other people are older than him, some wearing clothes that are quite old.
There was not much money around for most people then, the more affluent consumer society of 1960's America was some way off, so for daily use at least, people would have had to make do with clothes they had owned for a while.
The "Time Traveler" looks younger, and is dressed in a contemporary Varsity influenced style.
His haircut is of the era, and he has "signed up" to a different look, without the ubiquitous hat or cap for men which faded out of American life in the mid 1960's.

Most of the other people are older than him, some wearing clothes that are quite old.
There was not much money around for most people then, the more affluent consumer society of 1960's America was some way off, so for daily use at least, people would have had to make do with clothes they had owned for a while.
The "Time Traveler" looks younger, and is dressed in a contemporary Varsity influenced style.
His haircut is of the era, and he has "signed up" to a different look, without the ubiquitous hat or cap for men which faded out of American life in the mid 1960's.

Spot on.

Exactly what I was trying to say. But you said it better!

This photo is of a market in London.
It is from the amazing book "London" published by Taschen.

It is dated 1946 - 1954, though from the clothes I would put it at 1953/54.
Or have the publishers got it wrong?

The mixed race woman stands out as to me she could be from a more modern time, her clothing and hair anytime from 1977 - 2021.
There looks to me nothing 1950's about her styling, which merely points to my lack of fashion knowledge.
The men though are clearly in clothes dating them to that post-war time period.
The man to her right in the cap and overalls, a style simply no longer seen for manual workers.

London Market.jpg

Star Trek predicted all manner of things, like the, ah, mobile phone, and the iPad.

Maybe they gave Apple the idea for it.
In fact, they did:

Science fiction has always inspired the creation of great inventions, but we tend not to acknowledge the debt the everyday technology we take for granted has to the creative inventions in far-flung science fiction literature. Fantastic technological notions that had been spawned by visionaries such as Roddenberry and others inspired our modern scientists and inventors, who then saw fit to bring these ideas to reality. Martin Cooper can recall the moment when he was at a break in his lab watching the episode of Star Trek when Kirk used his Communicator to call for help for an injured Spock, which later inspired him to invent the mobile phone.

The inventor of the MP3 can look back to the episode of Star Trek The Next Generation where Data was playing music from his computer and conceived of the idea of the digital music file. The series Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager pioneered the graphic art of the "okudagram" (named after scenic art supervisor Michael Okuda), the GUI interface in the LCARS operating system, later used in the PADD, (Personal Access Display Device), the hand-held computer interface that foresaw the design and touch functionality of Apple's iPad and iPad mini.

... It is dated 1946 - 1954, though from the clothes I would put it at 1953/54.
The mixed race woman stands out as to me she could be from a more modern time, her clothing and hair anytime from 1977 - 2021.
There looks to me nothing 1950's about her styling, which merely points to my lack of fashion knowledge.
The man to her right in the cap and overalls, a style simply no longer seen for manual workers.

I don't see anything that suggests she had to be from 1977 onward (your estimate).

The earrings are timeless. The blouse is loose and not particularly "fitted" - consistent with pre-Sixties mass market casual wear.

The notably short hair has a long history with black women. Famed entertainer Josephine Baker (still popular in Europe during the postwar era) had notably short hairdos during her Parisian heyday from the Twenties through the Forties.

The most telling clue is her skirt - a basic "circle skirt" - full in breadth with prominent folds. Such skirts were popular during the postwar era up through the Fifties and didn't significantly fade out in favor of more fitted styles until the Sixties. Such skirts wouldn't be widely seen again until the late- / post-Sixties on women affecting a retro / bohemian style.

View attachment 50006
I have to agree - that eyeliner is surely not from the 1950's, I'm a woman and it was not until 1960 or so when Elizabeth Taylor was in the movie 'Cleopatra' that this winged eyeliner was brought into style, at least that's my opinion. The 1950's were very subdued in fashion and style, and this woman looks like she stepped out of the 1970's, how curious...................................Even the man in the photo is giving her an odd look. Very strange.
But how about the ladies in the center back - they look as though they have 'teased' up hair (if you zoom in you can see these ladies), which also came into fashion in the 1960s - perhaps this photo might actually be from the 60s?

Last edited:
Ancient Egyptian men always wore make up and eye liner to protect against the harsh sun.

It has been recorded that the building of the pyramids stoped until the men got a fresh supply of eye liner.

LOL - but I don't think London women were wearing winged eyeliner until the early 1960s -
But London always was ahead of its time in fashion!

The man in the overalls and cap could well have been a 1950s railway worker. The woman may have been among the windrush generation of immigrants. Mixed race people would presumably have been uncommon in Britain at the time, but were not uncommon in the Caribbean. But I agree with @Ronnie Jersey that her eye makeup seems a little more sixties than fifties. This was a very transitional time, when a more austere and conservative mentality was clashing with a rising, more experimental youth culture (not that that's unique to the fifties and sixties).

View attachment 50006
I can't see what the sign says. Is it 13 (as in 13 pence for the grapes), which would put it somewhere just post decimalisation, or is it 1'3 (one shilling,three pence) which puts it pre 1971?

I can't see what the sign says. Is it 13 (as in 13 pence for the grapes), which would put it somewhere just post decimalisation, or is it 1'3 (one shilling,three pence) which puts it pre 1971?
It certainly says 'pence' underneath. Would 'pence' have been written in words in the old pre-decimalisation form or would it have just said 1'3?

Back