• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tinnitus

I would still contend that that what's happening is you're masking the internal tinnitus by increasing external sound. When you take the hearing aids out, is your tinnitus less? If not, they aren't decreasing it.

Whatever, it's good that you get some improvement & relief from the hearing aids.

No it reduces the amount of attention your brain pays to the tinnitus. When you are deaf the brain then focuses on the ringing. It's marvelous.

From Gerard's Herbal Book 2 Part 2 (1633) >
Ground-Ivy is commended against the humming noise and ringing found of the ears, being put into them, and for them that are hard of hearing.
Also known as - Ale-Hoof, Gill-go-by-ground, Tunhoof, and Cat's-Foot.

Note - while searching for "ivy" I found many interesting cures for various ailments of the "privy parts"

All 5 volumes can be found here > Gerard's Herbal

From Gerard's Herbal Book 2 Part 2 (1633) >
Ah that's a nice find Mikfez. i wonder if you just pop a bit of leaf into your ear?! I think it's quite strong smelling if you crush it (I might be imagining that). It reminded me that you can see old versions (much less readable) on the internet archive - but they have super woodcut illustrations which I thought you might like to see https://archive.org/details/gri_33125012606592/mode/2up

Ah that's a nice find Mikfez. i wonder if you just pop a bit of leaf into your ear?! I think it's quite strong smelling if you crush it (I might be imagining that). It reminded me that you can see old versions (much less readable) on the internet archive - but they have super woodcut illustrations which I thought you might like to see https://archive.org/details/gri_33125012606592/mode/2up
Thanks Eponastill
What a beautiful book - Imagine the amount of time it took to print - Incredible

Newly published research suggests causal linkages between poor sleep and tinnitus.
Tinnitus Seems to Be Somehow Linked to a Crucial Bodily Function, Studies Hint

Around 15 percent of the world's population suffers from tinnitus ...

Not only can the condition be annoying for sufferers, it can also have a serious effect on mental health, often causing stress or depression. ...

There's currently no cure for tinnitus. So finding a way to better manage or treat it could help many millions of people worldwide.

And one area of research that may help us better understand tinnitus is sleep. There are many reasons for this. First, tinnitus is a phantom percept. This is when our brain activity makes us see, hear or smell things that aren't there. Most people only experience phantom perceptions when they're asleep. But for people with tinnitus, they hear phantom sounds while they're awake.

The second reason is because tinnitus alters brain activity, with certain areas of the brain (such as those involved in hearing) potentially being more active than they should be. This may also explain how phantom percepts happen. When we sleep, activity in these same brain areas also changes.

Our recent research review has identified a couple of brain mechanisms that underlie both tinnitus and sleep. Better understanding these mechanisms – and the way the two are connected – could one day help us find ways of managing and treating tinnitus. ...

One of the most important stages of sleep is slow-wave sleep (also known as deep sleep), which is thought to be the most restful stage of sleep.

It's thought that slow-wave sleep allows the brain's neurons (specialized brain cells which send and receive information) to recover from daily wear and tear, while also helping sleep make us feel rested. ...

But sometimes, certain brain areas can be overactive during slow-wave sleep. This is what happens in sleep disorders such as sleep walking.

A similar thing may happen in people with tinnitus. We think that hyperactive brain regions might stay awake in the otherwise sleeping brain. This would explain why many people with tinnitus experience disturbed sleep and night terrors more often than people who don't have tinnitus.

Tinnitus patients also spend more time in light sleep. Simply put, we believe that tinnitus keeps the brain from producing the slow-wave activity needed to have a deep sleep, resulting in light and interrupted sleep. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/incessant-tinnitus-seems-to-be-connected-somehow-to-sleep

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract from the published research report. The full report is accessible at the link below.

Linus Milinski, Fernando R. Nodal, Vladyslav V. Vyazovskiy, Victoria M. Bajo
Tinnitus: at a crossroad between phantom perception and sleep
Brain Communications, Volume 4, Issue 3, 2022, fcac089
https://doi.org/10.1093/braincomms/fcac089

Abstract
Sensory disconnection from the environment is a hallmark of sleep and is crucial for sleep maintenance. It remains unclear, however, whether internally generated percepts—phantom percepts—may overcome such disconnection and, in turn, how sleep and its effect on sensory processing and brain plasticity may affect the function of the specific neural networks underlying such phenomena. A major hurdle in addressing this relationship is the methodological difficulty to study sensory phantoms, due to their subjective nature and lack of control over the parameters or neural activity underlying that percept. Here, we explore the most prevalent phantom percept, subjective tinnitus—or tinnitus for short—as a model to investigate this. Tinnitus is the permanent perception of a sound with no identifiable corresponding acoustic source. This review offers a novel perspective on the functional interaction between brain activity across the sleep–wake cycle and tinnitus. We discuss characteristic features of brain activity during tinnitus in the awake and the sleeping brain and explore its effect on sleep functions and homeostasis. We ask whether local changes in cortical activity in tinnitus may overcome sensory disconnection and prevent the occurrence of global restorative sleep and, in turn, how accumulating sleep pressure may temporarily alleviate the persistence of a phantom sound. Beyond an acute interaction between sleep and neural activity, we discuss how the effects of sleep on brain plasticity may contribute to aberrant neural circuit activity and promote tinnitus consolidation. Tinnitus represents a unique window into understanding the role of sleep in sensory processing. Clarification of the underlying relationship may offer novel insights into therapeutic interventions in tinnitus management.

SOURCE / FULL REPORT: https://academic.oup.com/braincomms/article/4/3/fcac089/6563428?login=false

It depends ... Tinnitus (perception of persistent / troublesome sound(s)) is a symptom, not a specific causal condition. The perception of sound may be caused by factors that are 'internal' (e.g., within the nervous system; unrelated to objective sounds), 'external' (sensitivity or magnification of actual incoming sound) or both.
Was working out in my back garden yesterday, a beautiful day, thoroughly enjoyed working in my garden - that is, until I came inside to prepare a meal in the evening.

Rather suddenly, I became aware that something was a bit weird, and seemed to be affecting my hearing, and a bit of off-balance stuff.

Later on, I decided (as the buzzing noise in my head was, and still is persisting), I went onto the internet to try and find out what might be causing this sudden condition to arise.
I found after examining a few web pages, that I have a sudden onslaught of tinnitus (hearing dullness, along with something like an electricity transformer high-voltage humming sound together).

After some further research online, I came across a page that gave instances of people succumbing to a sudden awareness of tinnitus, one week after receiving the Covid jab (No 4 ~ booster).

There seems to be this chance tinnitus condition which is brought about after receiving the jab for some people ~ after realising that I believe that I have the same conditions, I can only put it down to getting the jab.

I believe the condition is being researched.

Still. . . better than getting a nasty (if not fatal) bout of Covid nevertheless.

Was working out in my back garden yesterday, a beautiful day, thoroughly enjoyed working in my garden - that is, until I came inside to prepare a meal in the evening.

Rather suddenly, I became aware that something was a bit weird, and seemed to be affecting my hearing, and a bit of off-balance stuff.

Later on, I decided (as the buzzing noise in my head was, and still is persisting), I went onto the internet to try and find out what might be causing this sudden condition to arise.
I found after examining a few web pages, that I have a sudden onslaught of tinnitus (hearing dullness, along with something like an electricity transformer high-voltage humming sound together).

After some further research online, I came across a page that gave instances of people succumbing to a sudden awareness of tinnitus, one week after receiving the Covid jab (No 4 ~ booster).

There seems to be this chance tinnitus condition which is brought about after receiving the jab for some people ~ after realising that I believe that I have the same conditions, I can only put it down to getting the jab.

I believe the condition is being researched.

Still. . . better than getting a nasty (if not fatal) bout of Covid nevertheless.
Because you were working in your garden, I'm wondering if you have allergies?
Pollen, etc. gets breathed into our sinuses and aggravates them sometimes, and our ears are connected to our sinuses. Sometimes inflammation results in a bit of 'tinnitus'.
I know because it will happen to me at 'high pollen' times in this area, which is right now.
I take an allergy decongestant for a few days (Allegra D), and I'm fine.

I have been there and the vertigo feeling of dizziness and nausea makes you think you are dying.

The worst feeling.
I had that 'vertigo' feeling only once, years ago, and it's awful.
Spoke to a nurse not long after, and she told me that it is 'allergy driven', in her opinion, and that doctors do not tell you this.
A friend of mine flew out to California from NJ, where she was fine. She got off the plane in California, and immediately went into this 'vertigo' attack which lasted the entire time she was there, she had to cut her visit short. Back in NJ, she was fine again.

That all kind of makes reassuring sense to me... I've been getting hayfever the last few years (though I never used to) and had a week off recently because of dizziness and nausea. And then the other day I had some weird tinnitus where it sounded like distant conversation in one ear (fortunately it went away quickly and I am not actually going mad). Hallelujah for nasal sprays, I would be a total mess without them.

They do say 'hayfever didn't exist' before 100 years ago?? (which is to say no-one wrote anything down about it) but perhaps people were too busy dying of smallpox and plague and suchlike to be complaining about hayfever.

That all kind of makes reassuring sense to me... I've been getting hayfever the last few years (though I never used to) and had a week off recently because of dizziness and nausea. And then the other day I had some weird tinnitus where it sounded like distant conversation in one ear (fortunately it went away quickly and I am not actually going mad). Hallelujah for nasal sprays, I would be a total mess without them.

They do say 'hayfever didn't exist' before 100 years ago?? (which is to say no-one wrote anything down about it) but perhaps people were too busy dying of smallpox and plague and suchlike to be complaining about hayfever.
I think it's to do with exposure. I used to have a cat allergy until I developed a relationship with a woman who had several cats. After a few months - no more allergy.

I think it's to do with exposure. I used to have a cat allergy until I developed a relationship with a woman who had several cats. After a few months - no more allergy.
I never had hayfever unitl I got a round of vaccinations before moving to Cyprus in the 1970's. I then developed the most apalling and debillitating hayfever (in Aberdeenshire by the sea) which persisted for probably a decade before starting to subside. It literally wiped me out for three months a year (May/June/July) and I still hate warm sunny weather. Nothing worked, even depomendrone injections, which were tried for a couple of years in 1976 or so. Zirtek works now if the pollen count is really high, but I then suffer from one it's rarer side effects 'agitation'. Beconase takes the edge off but I start bleeding from the nose if I take it for more than three weeks or so. Ah well...

I just live with relatively mild hayfever these days.

I never had hayfever unitl I got a round of vaccinations before moving to Cyprus in the 1970's. I then developed the most apalling and debillitating hayfever (in Aberdeenshire by the sea) which persisted for probably a decade before starting to subside. It literally wiped me out for three months a year (May/June/July) and I still hate warm sunny weather. Nothing worked, even depomendrone injections, which were tried for a couple of years in 1976 or so. Zirtek works now if the pollen count is really high, but I then suffer from one it's rarer side effects 'agitation'. Beconase takes the edge off but I start bleeding from the nose if I take it for more than three weeks or so. Ah well...

It can be strange. My Dad used to have hay fever but it suddenly stopped and a year later my Mum started it! Also I had it until I moved to the US - not anything like as serious as you describe, but I used to have tablets for it. (Hysteryl ?)

Never had it since, even after returning to the UK.

Because you were working in your garden, I'm wondering if you have allergies?
Pollen, etc. gets breathed into our sinuses and aggravates them sometimes, and our ears are connected to our sinuses. Sometimes inflammation results in a bit of 'tinnitus'.
I know because it will happen to me at 'high pollen' times in this area, which is right now.
I take an allergy decongestant for a few days (Allegra D), and I'm fine.
Now I'm wondering if I maybe had a bit too-much Sun exposure, as I had a pretty bad time in the evening. Eye's wouldn't hold steady, making me wretch for a short spell, so didn't eat at all, decided best thing to do was go to bed. This morning feel better, still have buzzing sound, otherwise should be a bit more 'with-it' today - hopefully!

Try an allergy decongestant (like Allegra D) whenever you have this problem.
I just take 1/2 a pill of the lowest strength on high pollen days, just for a few days, and it's gone.
Went back and forth to different ear nose and throat doctors, who did not help me, and finally an oral surgeon, while taking x-rays of my teeth, told me that my sinuses had fluid, and that was the whole problem right there.
Just some advice from someone who went through it.

Which is why I only take 1/2 pill of the lowest strength decongestant, so no agitation, and only for a few days. And it works like a charm.

I heard recently heard that some studies have found that people suffering from chronic and sustained tinnitus are more likely than not to also suffer vitamin B12 deficiency.

It found that vitamin B12 supplements, once deficits were addressed, reduced the symptoms of tinnitus.

Have been taking supplements for a week now, but not found any benefit as yet.

Will advise.

I heard recently heard that some studies have found that people suffering from chronic and sustained tinnitus are more likely than not to also suffer vitamin B12 deficiency.

It found that vitamin B12 supplements, once deficits were addressed, reduced the symptoms of tinnitus.

Have been taking supplements for a week now, but not found any benefit as yet.

Will advise.
It may need some time before noticing anything.
Let us know how you get on.

Quick Update:
After some 4 months of taking vitamin B supplements, I have noticed no change whatsoever in my tinnitus.
I have, during this time, been taking vitamin D supplements too.

This entirely unscientific study was brought to by an overly optimistic amateur.

As you were.

I have been told i need a hearing test, usually when i go for my eye test they will test my hearing range with those high pitched noises and you have to say if you can hear them, i failed on two this time so im going for a test on 6th Nov so will see how that goes.
I thought they were near a cure for it, there was a study, i forgot what it was for now, it wasnt releated to tinnutus, but as they were studying it i think it was a lady that said her tinnitus had gone, I wish i could remember the study.

I noticed that while re reading this entire thread that my tinnitus has got louder. Yet when I get wrapped up in something that I'm doing it vanishes or maybe I just forgot about it. I'm sure there's something in that but I can't quite work it out.

How can my tinnitus apparently get louder or quiter?

Back