• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tipping The Scales: Tales Of The Super-Sized

Who keeps feeding these obviously immobile people, even Garzas feet are fat, how much does he cost to feed, truly weired

crunchy5 said:
Who keeps feeding these obviously immobile people,

That's what I always wonder. It doesn't even look like these people could get to the fridge without help, let alone the shops so someone is keeping them in this state. I think that in itself is a fortean angle. It reminds me of that documentary a few years ago about fat girls and feeders. For those who didn't see it there are men who like their women ridiculously large and persuade/force them to keep eating so they don't lose weight. It sickened me to watch those women being so grateful for attention that they would let someone slowly kill them over a period of years.

crunchy5 said:
Who keeps feeding these obviously immobile people, even Garzas feet are fat, how much does he cost to feed, truly weired

I do wonder that. I vageuly remember hearing about this teenage girl in the US who was so fat she couldn't get out of bed, who'd died, and her mother was being accused of negligence or something. The mother claimed it wasn't her fault that the girl been so fat because she was ordering take-aways herself. I wondered how she'd got up to open the door, and where she got the money from.

Yeah. When I studied obesity I was told by PC lecturers that it wasn't the fat person's fault, but a sociogenetic problem. Rot. I've helped someone diagnosed with a thyroid problem (yeah right - load of bollocks) lose 9stone and keep it off. For this person it was discipline and being able to look up to me as some sort of sergeant major.

I love it when people claim (read lie) that their weight gain is genetic. Really? nothing to do with food eh? Spend a year in a concentration camp (not a nazi one) and you won't lose any weight eh? Rot and rot. Key to losing weight: Reduced calorie intake, exercise and discipline (either will power or the will power of another). Amazing that many of the scientists that take the sociogenetic point are social psychologists without a medical qualification among them - or stooges for pc government agencies. 'No' we hear the lefty beardy sociologist types whine 'it can't be their fault.' Yeah, lets blame someone else....GAHHHHHH.

fluffle9 said:
I vageuly remember hearing about this teenage girl in the US who was so fat she couldn't get out of bed, who'd died, and her mother was being accused of negligence or something. The mother claimed it wasn't her fault that the girl been so fat because she was ordering take-aways herself. I wondered how she'd got up to open the door, and where she got the money from.

That was Christina Corrigan.

GadaffiDuck said:
Yeah. When I studied obesity I was told by PC lecturers that it wasn't the fat person's fault, but a sociogenetic problem. Rot. I've helped someone diagnosed with a thyroid problem (yeah right - load of bollocks) lose 9stone and keep it off. For this person it was discipline and being able to look up to me as some sort of sergeant major.

I love it when people claim (read lie) that their weight gain is genetic. Really? nothing to do with food eh? Spend a year in a concentration camp (not a nazi one) and you won't lose any weight eh? Rot and rot. Key to losing weight: Reduced calorie intake, exercise and discipline (either will power or the will power of another). Amazing that many of the scientists that take the sociogenetic point are social psychologists without a medical qualification among them - or stooges for pc government agencies. 'No' we hear the lefty beardy sociologist types whine 'it can't be their fault.' Yeah, lets blame someone else....GAHHHHHH.

I tottally agree with you. Nobody goes fat out of air or water, they have to eat a lot. Anyway, I think in some cases the high intake of food is more related to addictions and lack of a good self image, like alcoholism, than just genetics.

GadaffiDuck said:

Totally agree except it's got nowt to do with left right politics cos I'm waay to the left and know some seriously fat right wing folk who think (say) it's genetic. I have no beard and have no time for pc thinking, I believe in using ones own brain rather than a thought framework nicely provided the woolly minded.

GadaffiDuck said:
I've helped someone diagnosed with a thyroid problem (yeah right - load of bollocks) lose 9stone and keep it off.

If I'm reading your message correctly, you're saying that someone who says that their weight problems are caused by a thyroid condition are talking bollocks.

They're not. Thyroid conditions cause people to put on weight, lose weight, and as anyone here who is hypothyroid can vouch, the sheer tiredness alone can lead to lack of exercise and not feeding oneself properly. Even when properly medicated, weight problems are common, even if someone has a very strict diet and exercise regime.

If I've read you wrong, please would you clarify what you meant by "yeah, right, load of bollocks".

GadaffiDuck said:

I find that a little insulting :evil:

Overeating and obesity is NOT just about eating too much. It is also a mental issue. You wouldn't insult anoerexics this way would you? Compulsive eating has the same mental health roots as anorexia only because of people like you it isn't treated in the same way.

Fat people are treated as lazy and stupid by the medical proffession and just offered various diets and eating regimes without any psychiatric help. The only person I have seen address the mental issues is Paul Mckenna. So stop the fat bashing please.

WhistlingJack - yes, that's the one.

Fizz32 said:
GadaffiDuck said:
I've helped someone diagnosed with a thyroid problem (yeah right - load of bollocks) lose 9stone and keep it off.

If I'm reading your message correctly, you're saying that someone who says that their weight problems are caused by a thyroid condition are talking bollocks.

They're not. Thyroid conditions cause people to put on weight, lose weight, and as anyone here who is hypothyroid can vouch, the sheer tiredness alone can lead to lack of exercise and not feeding oneself properly. Even when properly medicated, weight problems are common, even if someone has a very strict diet and exercise regime.

If I've read you wrong, please would you clarify what you meant by "yeah, right, load of bollocks".

I don't think GadaffiDuck was saying that thyroid conditions don't cause propensity to weight gain, so much as that genetics is not an excuse for being obese, as even people with real medical conditions that cause weight gain can manage them and maintain a healthy weight.

I agree with elffriend that seriously obese people have just as much a psychiatric problem as anorexics. I think a morbidly obese person would be just as likely to blame genetics and complain about discrimination as an anorexic is to claim to be naturally thin and complain about clothes in shops only going down to a size 6.

A guy I went to school with used to sneer at fat people and call them lazy, say that they were always blaming other people etc. He then discovered that his thyroid was packing up and had to have part of it operated on, and became obese in the space of about six months. sure wiped the smile off his face

fluffle9 said:
crunchy5 said:

I do wonder that. I vageuly remember hearing about this teenage girl in the US who was so fat she couldn't get out of bed, who'd died, and her mother was being accused of negligence or something. The mother claimed it wasn't her fault that the girl been so fat because she was ordering take-aways herself. I wondered how she'd got up to open the door, and where she got the money from.

Yeah those are questions I've asked before.and last night's "Larger Than Life" addressed some of them (its the frst part of a 4 part series). It all makes scary sense when shown as an addiction (granted there are also some medical issues that can also lead to morbid obesity) in much the same way as people have problems with drink and drugs (they had a science bod to explain how it all works). There were people who couldn't move who were still able to eat and they were emotionally blackmailing family members into supplying them with food. One guy spent £7,000 a year just on chocolate bars - how does he manage it? The same way other addicts do by wrecking their life: He'd remortaged his hosue for repairs but spent half the money on food. He had also clearly realised he was emotionally blackmailing his helpers and had signed a document saying that no matter what he said they weren't to give in to his pleading.

It was all very sad and, of course, its difficult for them to get help while most people seem to pin them as just being lazy and greedy.

Well worth watching if they repeat that one.

The last of the 4 part series returns to look at some of those feautred in the first episode:

Larger Than Life - Eating Themselves To Death (Documentary)

Time - 21:00 - 22:00 (1 hour long)
When - Monday 22nd May on five

This programme has been highlighted due to keywords in the programme name

Documentary revisiting the people featured in the original documentary on this subject which was previously shown on Five. We meet the son of John Keitz, who tragically died during the filming of the first documentary. John's son Jeremy is also clinically obese and faces an uncertain future unless he changes his lifestyle.
(Stereo, Subtitles)

CodenameThrow said:
A guy I went to school with used to sneer at fat people and call them lazy, say that they were always blaming other people etc. He then discovered that his thyroid was packing up and had to have part of it operated on, and became obese in the space of about six months. sure wiped the smile off his face

My cat had a tyroid problem and had it removed since it was making her too skinny.

Is their diets to stop yourself from going either too skinny or fat though instead of surgery surely in these modern times?

There was boxer called Don Cockell who had it and it's what contributed to his death in the end but that was the 50's/60's.

MaxMolyneux said:
CodenameThrow said:

My cat had a tyroid problem and had it removed since it was making her too skinny.

Is their diets to stop yourself from going either too skinny or fat though instead of surgery surely in these modern times?

I would imagine that the weight problem is not the reason for removing the thyroid, there's probably some other reason. My cat went blind and I think that might have had something to do with her thyroid.

My catcould of died during it too.

She was really getting skinny because of it and no matter how much she ate, she'd stay too thin. It was making her sick alot as well all around the house and would would be blood coming from her backside.

The opp was worth it though as she recovered fully and is at a healthy weight and still active being a 15 year old cat. She had the opp at about 13.

I saw a documentary on this guy. His wife was feeding him. She claimed he didn't eat any different than a person of normal weight. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but my point is that as for why she didn't get him help earlier, she claimed the whole "love is blind" thing. She said that she honestly did not realize how bad his weight problem had gotten until she looked back at pictures of him after he got help.

If these "feeders" were putting arsenic into the "feedees" tea they would be facing criminal charges. What is the difference here? :x

I guess maybe it's that they want the food, whereas if they just put arsenic in their tea they wouldn't know about it. Unless they asked them to put arsenic in their tea, and then it's basically assisted suicide.

I don't know how she didn't notice that he really needed help. That's what she said though. Maybe it was a psychological thing, not seeing it because she doesn't want to see it. Or maybe she was lying. Who knows.

RainyOcean said:
I guess maybe it's that they want the food, whereas if they just put arsenic in their tea they wouldn't know about it. Unless they asked them to put arsenic in their tea, and then it's basically assisted suicide.

Assisted suicide would also bring criminal charges though. And you'd have to prove that the person actually wants to die, there are far quicker and more comfortable ways to commit suicide!

She has to be lying! How can you not notice that your supposed loved one cannot move, cannot leave the house? It is all very well to say that services are poor for people of his size but why the hell did they not seek help long before he got to that size? What about washing him and getting him to the toilet? Can't exactly have been easy. :nooo:

Yeah, to be honest I find it a little hard to believe too. They said that he couldn't even lay on his back because he'd be crushed under his own weight. I know that sometimes people can not see things they don't want to see, my Mom does it with my Dad, but it does seem pretty extreme for that. I don't know the answer, just that she said she didn't see it and that he ate like any normal person. (btw, the doctors in the documentary said there was no way that was true, and that if she was only feeding him a normal amount of food, then he was getting food elsewhere).

World's heaviest child:

'I like to be big'

If there is a 'face of child obesity', it is six-year-old, 15-stone Dzhambulat Khatokhov. Sheer size has made this boy from a poor Russian family a hero in his home town and an object of fascination in the west. Nick Paton Walsh tracks him down

Friday May 26, 2006
The Guardian

Just sitting down in Dzhambulat Khatokhov's house sucks you straight into his empty world. "There is not a single piece of furniture that he has not broken," his mother, Nelya, laments as I perch on a stool barely held together by a quiver of nails.

Six-year-old Dzhambulat is 4ft 7in (1.4m) tall but weighs a staggering 15 stone (95kg). Since he was three, he has been touted as the biggest child in the world. But the sparsely furnished flat in which Nelya, 38, lives with the boy-phenomenon known as "Dzhambik" and his superlative-free, skinny brother Mukha, 14, confirms that fame does not always go hand in hand with fortune.

Dzhambik is so big that there isn't room for much else in his life. He is hostage to the attention that his enormousness brings him. People feed him; people talk about how big he is. He takes great pleasure in throwing his weight down on to his only real piece of furniture, a steel-framed bed, grinning as it groans under his weight. At times, he is a walking test of how people view obesity - is he tragically out of control, Benny Hill-funny, or happily rotund? Does he himself know or even care?

You may recognise him: his photograph and proportions are often used to illustrate the increasingly extreme nature of child obesity in the west. Five per cent of British 12-year-olds are clinically obese, and a third of American kids aged between 9 and 11 are considered overweight, with experts predicting that a fifth will be obese by 2010.

Yet beneath Dzhambik's image there is often little more than a brief caption, setting out his dimensions, his gift for wrestling, and the fact that he lives in Kabardino-Balkaria, an impoverished republic in southern Russia.

The story of how Dzhambik (pronounced Jam-Bic) got so big is not a long one, his mother insists. He was born, ate three or four times a day, and just grew. But the life that his size has given him is not so easily summed up. This is a story of an ordinary six-year-old boy stuck in an abnormal skin and a world of adult fascination.

Dzhambik, a local hero, is easy to find. His mother Nelya, 38, agrees to meet me but, two phone calls into our discussions, begins to ask about the "royalties". Other journalists have unsolicitedly paid $500 to meet her son, she says. I explain that the Guardian does not pay for information, then, sensing this is a deal-breaker, add that I might make an exception and pay 5,000 rubles (£100). From then on, all Nelya really wants to talk about by phone is money, trying to get me to agree to twice as much up front.

When I arrive in Terek, an hour's drive from the regional capital of Nalchik, it is obvious why. The town is plush with grass, but little else. Mukha, Dzhambik and his fame are all that Nelya, a nurse and single mother on £60 a month, has. We collect Dzhambik from his nursery school, and my notebook and the photographer's camera immediately plunge us into his world of disproportionate attention.

"Everyone loves him," says his teacher Zhenia Khadinova as his schoolmates bound around him, performing for the camera. "He's sporty, likes singing and English. The kids don't tease him and he is average in class. We can't all be at the top," she adds.

Nelya tells me about a set of tests that Dzhambik had done in Moscow two years ago, which said that he was healthy. "It said his organs were of proportionate size," she says. "He's only been ill with flu once. He eats three times a day, sometimes four. He was born a normal 6lb 6oz."

We should mention at this point that Dzhambik, who most of the time looks at the floor, is really very fat indeed. His eyelashes are forced upwards by the rolls of fat that are his eyelids. His thigh fat hangs over his knees. His wrists look as if they have been swollen by bee stings. When he walks down the stone staircase inside the school, it thuds.

He is not much of a talker, and we try to escape the crowd in the local park. He sits down on a bench, his brother's friends still milling around. "He's not a local hero, but an international one," says Murat, 14, before confiding that his nickname in school is "Boba," or Gladiator. I ask questions, about school, sport, his size. What I get is a few words of schoolboy English: "My name is Dzhambik." "I like to be big," he eventually adds, with a little help from Nelya.

During our two afternoons together I am run through the gamut of things he "does" for the camera. He sings something Nelya says is a version of the alphabet. He puts his arms in a Popeye pose. He stands on the scales, his arms perfectly straight down each side, as if standing to attention. He hulas a large metal hoop. He puts on a jumbo-sized wrestling vest and fights with his brother, occasionally thumping him with such force that there is a significant pause between Mukha being hit and Mukha laughing, during which Mukha wonders whether someone eight years his junior should be getting away with this.

Yet Dzhambik seems truly happy when we play draughts on a chessboard I have brought him. "I'm going to beat you," he laughs, thumping his palm on the carpet before letting out an enormous belch.

The absence of furniture means we are both lying on the floor. Dzhambik does not so much lie down as bellyflop on to the carpet. His huge stomach means he can't stand up normally by bending his knees. Instead, he must get into the start position for a press-up, and slowly edge his hands and feet closer together until he can balance and bend his back upright. It is as if his limbs are held straight by plastercasts of fat.

Around him are the trappings of his childhood: the photographs with Russian chatshow hosts, the encyclopaedia he reads from, and a certificate from a Russian organisation that registered his apparent world record. Aged three years and two months, he weighed 6st 3lb and was "the biggest child in the world", considered "perfectly healthy with unique strength". The certificate claims affiliation with the Guinness Book of Records, but a Guinness spokesman said they had no record of Dzhambik and were unlikely to have a "biggest child" category. All the same, Dzhambik is way ahead of his two competitors across the border in Georgia, three-year-old Luka Meliksishvili, who weighed 4st (26kg) when he was only 15 months old but is reportedly growing by 4lb or 5lb (2kg) a month, and Georgiy Bibilauri, who was 9st 8lb (62kg) when he was five.

Dzhambik doesn't like losing at draughts, and is more than a handful when unhappy. As Nelya changes him out of his wrestling vest and puts on his Ronaldinho football shirt, he grumpily decides to thump her a couple of times. Nelya tries to laugh it off. She holds up his size 58 shorts and says, simply: "Nightmare." She asks me, concerned: "Do you think a child like this has any future prospects? Might some British TV producers be interested in him?" Dzhambik is clearly tired, and I leave.

We meet up again the next day at the Vostok entertainment arcade. Dzhambik loves the video games hall; the video games hall loves Dzhambik. As her two children drive racing-car simulators imported from Japan, surrounded by goggle-eyed kids, Nelya tells me: "He does not eat that much." Then she adds: "He is happy that size. It is not shameful. He likes showing people how strong he is."

She says such huge people are native to Kabardino-Balkaria, a sleepy collection of spa towns and idyllic greenery in the north Caucasus, a two-hour drive west of Chechnya. The predominantly Muslim republic, one of Russia's poorest, saw a violent uprising in the capital, Nalchik, last October, when police buildings were attacked by hundreds of local men, part of an Islamic underground formed in response to police brutality and corruption. Yet Dzhambik's hometown of Terek seems a million miles away, a place of legend and tradition. Nelya refers to "Sosruka", a Kabardinian legend about a friendly giant born in a village. In a region where wrestling is a popular sport, Dzhambik's size is easily cast as an athletic advantage.

Nelya says that Dzhambik and Mukha, who are the same height but 9st 4lb and eight years apart, have different fathers. Mukha's dad, also father to her 18-year-old son Rezuan, who is currently serving as a conscript on Russia's border with China, is not around any more. Dzhambik's father, Mikhail, 40, a taxi driver, lived with Nelya for five years, but left shortly after Dzhambik's birth. He visits perhaps twice a month, she explains. "His ancestors were very big," she says. "Mikhail was born in a triplet and we say that the size of his two siblings and ancestors went into Dzhambik."

She says that when he was a month old, Dzhambik began to grow at twice the usual pace. "After one year he weighed 2st 7lb and began to walk without any problems, and talk, too. He always liked lifting things and sport."

She says the record organisation contacted them during their first trip to Moscow in 2003, after which Dzhambik's weight hit the front page of Russia's biggest selling paper, Komsomolskaya Pravda. They travelled to Ukraine, Georgia, Tokyo, Moscow, France, Germany and the Czech Republic as Dzhambik's fame spread.

She looks lovingly at both her kids. "One day they will both be Olympic champions and look after me," she says. "We're moving to Nalchik so Dzhambik can have a professional trainer and learn to swim. The doctors say he is a truly unique child. His psychology is already that of an adult. He sorts out situations like an adult does."

Dzhambik has run out of game tokens and comes over to me. After irritably throwing some toys onto the table where we are sitting, he says: "Nick, play cars with me!"

Soon, cars turn into ice cream. I buy the boys an ice cream each. As we sit outside the video games hall, Dzhambik demolishes and grabs Mukha's. Neither Mukha or Nelya notice. A passerby asks if she can have her photo taken with Dzhambik.

As the boys get restless, we move to a nearby fairground, where Dzhambik soon becomes the main attraction. The fairground owner grants us a free pass to all rides, an act of generosity soon explained by the crowd that follows Dzhambik around, wanting to have their pictures taken with him. Nelya sighs: "See how everyone comes up to him. He is exhausted by that." Each time the shutter closes, his face softens to offer a perfect smile, a pose clearly practised over years. We sit in the cafe for a few minutes before another crowd gathers for a photo opportunity. Some of our neighbours are angry at having their space invaded.

Dzhambik loves the dodgems and raises his middle finger at me when he crashes into me during one race. After his fourth free go, we move back into town for a proper meal.

The waitresses at the cafe want their picture taken with him, too. The man at the next table asks if he can buy him an ice cream. "See how people act with us," says Nelya. "That is how it is for us." I ask if Dzhambik, now on his fourth ice cream in as many hours, could perhaps eat less. "He does not always eat this much," she replies, a little embarrassed. He finishes his ice cream and grabs a piece of bread. "Stop," says Nelya, and he puts the bread down.

It must be a complicated relationship, Dzambik and food. It has brought him his fame, and if he stops eating so much, then he will spend the rest of his life as the man who used to be the fattest kid in the world. Nelya doesn't talk much about how his life will be if he keeps these proportions when he is older, but seems sure his health is fine.

Back at home in Terek, she shows me the two medical analyses done by Moscow doctors. Dr Sergei Podulov, who examined him once in 2003 and once in 2004, said: "Dzhambik is absolutely healthy. He has no illnesses." He said Dzhambik's grandfather was also a "Bogatyr", a Russian word for a sort of gentle giant. Both the medical analyses end with the recommendation that he should wrestle and do sumo for exercise.

Today, Nelya lacks the means to investigate Dzhambik's situation further in the costly and sometimes unscrupulous world of Russian healthcare. "Why test him all the time if he is healthy?" she says. "It's expensive to fly to Moscow and the blood tests are traumatic for him."

At home again, the kids are captivated by a new musical system the magnanimous Guardian has bought them (£40). I ask Dzhambik to list his favourite things. "The music system," he says. "Your watch (£20, now on his wrist). And money." He buries his face in Nelya's arm and giggles. When I later give Nelya 8,000 rubles (£160), she looks at me and asks: "I don't want this if it comes out of your pocket, understand? Only if it is the Guardian's." She asks me to hand it to her discreetly. "I don't want the children to know where it comes from," she says.

As I turn to leave and they return to being a normal family again, the emptiness of the flat looms. Nelya, her face reddened by the spring sun and wrinkled by the exhaustion of being Dzhambik's main connection to the outside world, follows me down the stairs outside. She says, pleadingly: "Please do not write anything bad about us."

www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,,1783637,00.html

That is one FAT kid! :shock:

He looks like he can barely breath and move how the hell would he do well in wrestling?

Ate 3 or 4 times a day since he was born? Wonder what the hell they were feeding him? :shock:

Seems like they've not fed him toomuch yet he's that big. Could have the same condition that Mexican has to why he's so fat.

God that child is just massive. :shock: Surely that is some kind of abuse on the parents part? :?
It makes me so sad to see people like this :cry: . What kind of a life does someone have if they cant even move just because of their weight?
Their food intake must be truly gargantuan to be able to get to that size and maintain it.

The way I look at weight is that the most important factor is health. If youre healthy and youre fit enough to have a "normal" life and partake in every day stuff then size doesnt really matter. When a person gets to the stage where they have to be "accomodated" on planes and such things then its time to worry. These poor people featured in this post have gone way past that point. :(

I really do struggle to understand how people can let this happen to themselves. Dont get me wrong, I love to eat and I eat quite alot but I always manage to stay within a healthy weight for my age and height. I also excercise a bit, but then again, I have no choice about that, I have to dogs who just love to walk!! Its really not difficult to be able to eat what you like (in reason of course) and keep the weight in relative control.
:?:

The general discussion about obesity is to be found here.

Best keep this thread on the specific topic of this rather portly young chap...

Back