• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I have a thing for mawkish Victorian/Edwardian jet jewellery and was in one of the jet shops in Whitby a couple months back. We used to buy things made in here, now and again and it's recently been taken over by the jeweller's daughter who is a skilled jeweller working with jet. And I got talking to her about old jet jewellery I've seen on eBay and she said she had a customer come in, who made a bid on a jet brooch that said "TITANIC". Nobody else seemed to notice it and they got it for under a tenner, I think. This, fairly recently. Even things like memorabilia that were produced as tat at the time, have more value sometimes than other similar things, just for having the word 'Titanic' on and I'm seeing Victorian/Edwardian jet brooches go for in the low hundreds, sometimes, these days. Can't imagine this went under the radar and so recently but apparently it did.
There must have been a lot of those mourning items of jewellery made for relatives of Titanic sinking victims. Some might have had the name Titanic on, but a lot of relatives might not have wanted the name of the ship on the item at all.

Auction of a Titanic relic.
001db60f-800.jpg

Titanic's first-class dinner menu expected to fetch €69,000 at auction​

An evening dinner menu for first-class passengers onboard the Titanic could sell for up to £60,000 (€69,000) at auction.

The dinner - including oysters, tornados of beef, spring lamb and mallard duck - was served on the evening of 11 April 1912 after the liner left Cobh, Co Cork, for New York during its fateful maiden voyage.

More than 1,500 passengers and crew died when the Titanic struck an iceberg on the evening of 14 April and sank the following day.

The 16cms x 11cms menu bears an embossed red White Star Line burgee and would have originally shown gilt lettering depicting the initials OSNC (Ocean Steamship Navigation Company) alongside the lettering RMS Titanic.

Auctioneer Andrew Aldridge said: "The latter shows signs of water immersion having been partially erased, the reverse of the menu also clearly displays further evidence of this.

Via RTE News
£83 000 apparently. Not sure where I'll display it though.

Until a few years ago, I ran a real-time recreation of the disaster, from April 1st-30th on X/twitter until mismanagement by the MuskRat terminated it.
I run something similar on my website but its not realtime, and takes its timing from your computer clock. For most of the days, you'll have to refresh manually but it will autorefresh from time to time on the 14th/15th. As you can imagine from the evening of the 14th to the morning of the 15th it goes a bit hayware.
Its at this link

Last edited:
Just as the recent Alaska Airlines plane lost its door plug at 16,000 feet because Boeing put no bolts on the door plug but this plane landed safely, unfortunately according to the Imperial College in London the Titanic was doomed before she set sailed.

The ships like the Titanic had huge cool bunkers, and the arrogant captain was in a rush to set sail.

The Titanic left knowingly with an active fire in one of the coal bunkers making the outside plates weak.

This active fire was a ticking time bomb !

The coal fire was out before the collision. The burning coal was shovelled straight into the furnaces.
Research by metallurgist Tim Foecke and others have shown that the fire had no effect on the strength of the shell plating.
Captain Smith was in no rush to set sail. He set off exactly on schedule although there was an hour's delay at Southampton due to events outside his control.

The official cause for the Titanic was not the iceberg, but the captain, after warnings from other ships, was going at an excessive speed through an ice field at 22 knots.

The reason for the speed is he was trying to use up the coal bunker that was on fire.

Official cause was speed.

There is no proof at all that he was speeding because of the fire. Not many people on board knew of it.
Besides, the ship was speeding up on the day of the collision and quite a few people talked about the extra vibrations of the engines. Why bother doing this, as the fire was out the day before this?
At the inquiries,other captains testified to going at a high rate of speed and only slowed down either in the presence of fog or if they saw something else that was a hazard to navigation. This seems to be the common practice at the time, in many shipping lines not just the White Star.

Speed sold tickets, and bunker fires not unknown,
the answer was to use that bunker first and chuck
the burning coal straight into the boilers.
If they had plowed straight into the burg then maybe
one or two compartments would have flooded and
the ship stayed afloat, were has with the glancing blow
the side was opened up and more compartments were
flooded then she was doomed.

Speed sold tickets, and bunker fires not unknown,
the answer was to use that bunker first and chuck
the burning coal straight into the boilers.
If they had plowed straight into the burg then maybe
one or two compartments would have flooded and
the ship stayed afloat, were has with the glancing blow
the side was opened up and more compartments were
flooded then she was doomed.
As I recall, the bunker bulkheads had spaces at the top - once one filled up it overflowed into the next and so on, so probably would have sunk anyway.

The watertight compartments were open at the top, not the coal bunkers.
The iceberg partially penetrated into a coal bunker and the staff simply shut the door, which wasn't watertight. After about an hour, enough water had entered the bunker to fling the door open, partially flooding the remaining room.

Speed did sell tickets, yes, but people still opted for the slower white star ships rather than Cunard.

Thing is that if one ore two compartments flooded it would not have
pulled her head down enough to food over into the next compartment
and she would have stayed afloat, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
:dunno:

They actually did know this at the time, and Harland and Wolff maritime engineer Edward Wilding testified to this at the British Inquiry. They'd actually worked out that three flooded compartments would not have doomed the ship. When he went and recomputed the figures he found that even with four compromised compartments the ship would have survived.
However, the Titanic had six wounded compartments and possible damage to a seventh. Its surprising that she stayed afloat as long as she did.

There has been much controversy in the fact that the 3rd class passengers were locked and caged like animals when the ship was sinking.

Was this true ?

Wasn't it standard procedure that the 'lower decks' were locked off to prevent the lower classes etc. mingling with the higher paying customers? I imagine that unlocking the gates was forgotten by fleeing crew.

Yes classes were segregated for health reasons.

Tim Maltin is definitely wrong on this. My friend George Behe has been researching the ship for 50+ years and has uncovered multiple cases of steerage being restrained below decks.

Back