• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Toilet Talk

20200620_000848.jpgf60dd47a2542f36c133dbd5359ababa9.jpg

She got a shitload of money.

A university here has been ordered to pay €60,000 for discriminating against an employee who had significant anxiety over contamination from using work toilets.

The woman has been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) Adjudication Officer, Maria Kelly has found that the university failed to make reasonable accommodation for the woman’s disability and that she was discriminated against on the grounds of her disability.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...ocd-who-had-fear-of-using-toilet-1007672.html

She got a shitload of money.

A university here has been ordered to pay €60,000 for discriminating against an employee who had significant anxiety over contamination from using work toilets.

The woman has been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) Adjudication Officer, Maria Kelly has found that the university failed to make reasonable accommodation for the woman’s disability and that she was discriminated against on the grounds of her disability.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...ocd-who-had-fear-of-using-toilet-1007672.html

The university pretty comprehensively failed her. How humiliating for her.

The university pretty comprehensively failed her. How humiliating for her.

It did but the article seems to suggest she could only use the toilet on official breaks which is nonsense. It looks more as if the university were reluctant to put anything in writing confirming that she could take toilet breaks whenever she needed to.

It did but the article seems to suggest she could only use the toilet on official breaks which is nonsense. It looks more as if the university were reluctant to put anything in writing confirming that she could take toilet breaks whenever she needed to.

Yup, they made no effort whatsoever.
However, I can't help thinking she might have sought help with the OCD a bit sooner, rather than end up incontinent.

What would `Reasonable Ajustments` be in a case like this?

I cant help but think a man would be treated differently

What would `Reasonable Ajustments` be in a case like this?

I cant help but think a man would be treated differently

Why do you think that? No arguing with you! I'm just curious.

It seemed to me that the university was trivialising her complaint to avoid accommodating her, and perhaps hoping they could embarrass her into dropping it all. Do you think they wouldn't try that with a man?

As @ramonmercado says, their grounds for refusing were nonsense anyway.

Yup, they made no effort whatsoever.
However, I can't help thinking she might have sought help with the OCD a bit sooner, rather than end up incontinent.

It's possibly one of the most difficult to treat and debilitating "mental illnesses" out there and is very treatment-resistant - it only seems to get worse and never really gets better.

NASA's open design challenge (with prize) for lunar toilet concepts is now underway ...
NASA’s Lunar Loo Challenge: $35,000 in Prizes for Toilet Design That Works on the Moon

As NASA prepares for our return to the Moon, innumerable activities to equip, shelter, and otherwise support future astronauts are underway. These astronauts will be eating and drinking, and subsequently urinating and defecating in microgravity and lunar gravity. While astronauts are in the cabin and out of their spacesuits, they will need a toilet that has all the same capabilities as ones here on Earth.

NASA is calling on the global community for their novel design concepts for compact toilets that can operate in both microgravity and lunar gravity. These designs may be adapted for use in the Artemis lunar landers that take us back to the Moon. Although space toilets already exist and are in use (at the International Space Station, for example), they are designed for microgravity only. NASA’s Human Landing System Program is looking for a next-generation device that is smaller, more efficient, and capable of working in both microgravity and lunar gravity.

This challenge includes a Technical category and Junior category.

Award: Technical – $35,000 in total prizes; Junior – public recognition from NASA and from HeroX, a winner’s certificate, and an item of official NASA-logoed merchandise

Open Date: June 25, 2020
Close Date: August 17, 2020

For more information, visit:
https://www.herox.com/LunarLoo

SOURCE: https://scitechdaily.com/nasas-luna...zes-for-toilet-design-that-works-on-the-moon/

In case you wondered why men seem to spend more time on the toilet than women ...
Why do some men take so long to poop?

If you've ever wondered why men take so long to poop, you may have found yourself asking if there's a medical reason. Why else would some men take so much longer than women to take care of their business?

The answer, however, does not appear to be anatomical. In fact, men might actually be quicker in discharging their defecatory duties than women are. One 2009 study in the journal Gender Medicine sought to investigate the gender differences of various pooping plights. The researchers looked at constipation, stool consistency, the need to use fingers to evacuate, and a host of other less-than-pleasant doody-related conditions. The team concluded that women were more likely to experience "abnormal bowel habits" and constipation than men.

In other words, women tend to have more bowel-related troubles than men do. So, if anything, it's women who should be spending more time in the bathroom. ...

A 1992 study in the journal Gut found similar results. ...

But men really do spend more time in the loo. A recent U.K. survey conducted by the bathroom-appliance company UK Bathrooms ... revealed that men spent an average of 1 hour and 35 minutes on the commode each week, or nearly 14 minutes a day, compared with women, who spend just 55 minutes a week on the toilet, or almost 8 minutes a day.

That may mean that men who spend eons in the bathroom are doing more than just pooping. For example, research has found that 86% of men do most of their reading whilst sitting on the toilet, compared to just 27% of women, the UK Bathrooms poll found.

Another 2009 study, published in the journal Neurogastroenterology & Motility, found that of 499 surveyed men and women, more than half of men (64%) and less than half of women (41%) said they regularly read on the toilet. ...

Perhaps these men do this because they are seeking solace from life's problems in the loo, Johnathan Alpert, a psychotherapist ... told Live Science.

"Short of a medical medical explanation for someone spending a long time in the bathroom, there may be psychological reasons," he said.

They may see toilet time as a way to get away from the bustle of a busy home, he said. “It may serve as their sanctuary and perhaps the only place they can actually have alone time." ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/why-men-take-longer-to-poop.html

Everyone I know, including family members, reads in the bathroom. One of my friends is always falling asleep in there reading a book. She says it's the most comfortable seat in the house.

I hate sitting in there. I am in and out of there within 2 minutes and that includes time for washing my hands.

One of my sisters told me that, as a child, she thought our father (which art in Devon) only did a poo at home at the weekend. She thought he'd stored up so much poo during the week that that was why he took a newspaper into the toilet with him :sstorm:

I only poop once or twice a week.
I know, I know... I'm full of shit.

Back