• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Toilet Talk

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Experts debating toilet standards

Toilet experts have gathered in Belfast for a conference to explore issues of public lavatory standards in countries across the globe.
It is the first World Toilet Summit to be held outside the Far East.

Delegates come from such sectors as public health and educational authorities, hospitality and tourism bodies as well as toilet providers.

The Bog Standard campaign to raise the calibre of Northern Ireland's school toilets is also being launched.

It wants to "bring awareness of the health and learning benefits of better toilets for pupils", a statement said.

The campaign will also encourage schools to allow pupils to use the toilets when needed.

More than 350 delegates from the US, Europe, Australia and the Far East will get a chance to see the latest innovations in toilet technology.

TOILET FACTS
The average person visits the toilet 2,500 times a year
The first toilet stall in a public washroom is the least likely to be used: it is also the cleanest.
Most toilets flush in the key of E flat

These will include a brand new pop-up urinal to be unveiled in Belfast's Shaftesbury Square.
It is concealed beneath the pavement during the day, but at night it rises hydraulically for use by late-night revellers.

Delegates will also hear presentations such as Changing Washroom Behaviour, Public Toilet Excellence - The Singapore Model and Managing Out Crime in Public Toilets.

A speaker from Indonesia will describe how a toilet relief programme was introduced following the tsunami disaster.

Those attending the Waterfront Hall conference will also be asked for their views on the Belfast Protocol, a policy document to be presented to international governments.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/n ... 284898.stm

Published: 2005/09/27 06:48:19 GMT

© BBC MMV

Most toilets flush in the key of E flat

Noted for use during conversational lulls. As for a 'toilet relief programme' in Indonesia: top punning.

As long as those 'squat and hold on whilst your feet are in slots like a pair of skis', like they have in France, don't become the standard then I don't really care.

Although, fecal-proof walls would be an innovation that I'd appreciate as would electrifying cubicle walls to kill the subhumans that find the need to smear their fecal matter on cubicle walls.

womaniac said:
As long as those 'squat and hold on whilst your feet are in slots like a pair of skis', like they have in France, don't become the standard then I don't really care.

On the plus side, they're difficult to miss if you're vomiting.

theyithian said:
womaniac said:

On the plus side, they're difficult to miss if you're vomiting.

So difficult to miss, they're likely to induce vomitting. In fact, I can attest to it!

I quite like the ones the have in France by the side of the road that consist of a urinal behind a pair of wild-west style swing doors. They make you feel like a cowboy :D

(Ok, a urinating cowboy but a cowboy nevertheless ;) )

JohnnyMolten said:
I quite like the ones the have in France by the side of the road that consist of a urinal behind a pair of wild-west style swing doors. They make you feel like a cowboy :D

(Ok, a urinating cowboy but a cowboy nevertheless ;) )

I'm not keen on them either, but they're better than the frankly primitive practice of shared urinal troughs.

womaniac said:
I'm not keen on them either, but they're better than the frankly primitive practice of shared urinal troughs.

Agreed. There can surely be few more disgusting feelings in the world than the light prickle of someone elses splashback dappling your arm as you stand at a crowded trough. :nooo:

I find the German design when there's shelf that lets you to check out your products before flushing a bit disconcerting.

Timble2 said:
I find the German design when there's shelf that lets you to check out your products before flushing a bit disconcerting.

Actually I heard doctors say that that's better for your health because you're more likely to spot intestinal disease. You're missing the chance for a free daily health check :cross eye

uair01 said:
Timble2 said:

Actually I heard doctors say that that's better for your health because you're more likely to spot intestinal disease. You're missing the chance for a free daily health check :cross eye

I'm possibly asking for graphic harshness here but what would i be looking for in particular - if i had an intestinal disease? Blood in feces?

womaniac said:
Although, fecal-proof walls would be an innovation that I'd appreciate as would electrifying cubicle walls to kill the subhumans that find the need to smear their fecal matter on cubicle walls.

Read a story of a bodybuilder who did that because he really needed to go the toilet and even went on some old guys shoes inthe next cubicle. Just pulled down his pants and let rip. :lol:

as far as I can recall from my travells in france - french roadside toilets consist of any form of cover near a major road. Lends a certain musk to the coutryside...

daisys1 said:
as far as I can recall from my travells in france - french roadside toilets consist of any form of cover near a major road. Lends a certain musk to the coutryside...

:lol:

Another annoying problem with toilets:
They are like small echo chambers were even the smallest fart sounds like an atom bomb.

We need sound proof toilets! :lol:

Waste auction after toilet shock

A couple have become so angry with rubbish being dumped on their doorstep, they are selling it on eBay. Laurence Collyer and Laura Babb said they have found everything from TVs to used toilets left outside their house in Plumstead, south-east London.

They have not had offers for the junk, which is on for a starting price of £1, but the couple hope their action will make Greenwich Council act. The council said it apologised if the rubbish has been overlooked.

We've had TVs, old mattresses, household rubbish, chemical containers, gardening waste, used nappies - which are particularly gross - and, the piece de resistance, a used toilet
Laurence Collyer

Mr Collyer, 25, said the rubbish has been continually dumped at the end of Abery Street since they moved last April.

The council has removed the fly-tipped junk but he wants a more long-term solution.

"We have all sorts of rubbish here," Mr Collyer told BBC London.

"We've had TVs, old mattresses, household rubbish, chemical containers, gardening waste, used nappies - which are particularly gross - and, the piece de resistance, a used toilet."

A spokesman for Greenwich Council said: "If any rubbish has been overlooked on this occasion we can only apologise.

"We will pay particular attention to Plumstead in the next few weeks."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 752798.stm

Published: 2006/02/27 06:30:27 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Again from AOL News. The last sentence in this artical cracked me up, I just had to share:

'Toilet talk' shocks drinkers

US drinkers face a shock when the "porcelain god" finally answers their prayers.

New Mexico transport department has planted 500 talking urinal devices in men's toilets in bars across the state.

The motion-sensitive device says in a woman's voice: "Hey, big guy. Having a few drinks? Think you had one too many? Then it's time to call a cab or call a sober friend for a ride home. Remember, your future is in your hand."

:lol:

"Motion-sensitive device!"

Hello there, big-boy! Taking a dump in the wee-trough again? Why not call Sam's Taxis and wipe your arse on his upholstery?

This information service brought to you by Bert's Taxis! :)

OldTimeRadio said:
Glad I don't have the job of changing the batteries.

Nah, it's just a wee job. Piece of piss, etc... :lol:

That reminds me of the drunken friend who one night insisted that the very first words of the Soviet Russian National Anthem were:

"O! Pissonia! O! Shidonia!"

OldTimeRadio said:
That reminds me of the drunken friend who one night insisted that the very first words of the Soviet Russian National Anthem were:

"O! Pissonia! O! Shidonia!"

Didn't 'The Knack" sing that first?...

sunsplash1 said:
Didn't 'The Knack" sing that first?...

I don't know. The friend I mentioned died in 1981 and I heard this from him several years previously.

Glass public toilet in the middle of the street...

glass-toilet.jpg

Actually made from one-way mirrored glass...

...a usable public toilet in a glass cube to challenge the curiosity - and bravery - of people passing London's Tate Britain gallery.
Monica Bonvicini said visitors would have to "defy their own embarrassment" to use the minimalist cubicle, made from one-way mirrored glass.

Okay - it's old news but here's the link.

I think they're just pretending it's one way glass and the passersby are too polite to say anything so the users are none the wiser when they come out.

gncxx said:
I think they're just pretending it's one way glass and the passersby are too polite to say anything so the users are none the wiser when they come out.

That or it's french.

Mythopoeika said:
Nah, it's just a wee job. Piece of piss, etc... :lol:
Urinal finds museum home

Martin Wainwright
Wednesday April 4, 2007
The Guardian

A distinctive urinal has been saved for the nation and will go on display this summer - but safely in a museum and with a strict ban on its use. Once tucked snugly into a railway embankment on Tyneside, the porcelain stalls earned iconic status in the north-east after a painting of them by a former miner became a best-selling print.
Known as the Westoe Netty, their significance has increased with Newcastle-Gateshead's drive to be Europe's alternative capital of culture when the official title comes to Liverpool next year. As well as the artistic links, dating to the painting of 1972, the urinals have linguistic distinction: the Geordie word "netty" for lavatory derives from Roman slang on Hadrian's Wall which became "gabinetto" in Italian.

The netty's cultural breakthrough began when Bob Olley, of South Shields, painted his folksy picture, perhaps acknowledging Marcel Duchamp's 1917 work Fountain - a New York-made urinal.
When South Tyneside planners agreed to demolition of the urinal itself 10 years ago, Olley and his friends salvaged every brick and every part of the plumbing. The netty, built in 1890, was then stored in a council depot at South Shields, where it has been the focus of lavatorial projects for the past 10 years.

After the failure of a plan to re-erect the stalls in the town centre, Beamish Industrial Museum in County Durham stepped in. "It may seem a little off the wall but in terms of its folk importance this is well worth preserving," said Chris Scott, Beamish's keeper of industry.

Jim Sewell, a South Tyneside councillor, said: "This humble public toilet was the inspiration for a world-famous painting which vividly illustrates the days when men always wore dark clothing, cloth caps and mufflers and frequented the many local pubs."

Drinking was on such a scale the netty often had queues between the wars. Even so, the exhibition of the painting by Olley prompted calls from South Shields council for the show to close on grounds of obscenity. Olley said yesterday: "The painting is just something from my roots ... little things like this are part of where we come from."

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/news/sto ... 01,00.html

Free repairs to flammable toilets.

toiletfire.jpg

(An unrelated photo of a toilet fire)

Japan's leading toilet manufacturer Toto is offering free repairs to 180,000 toilets after some of them caught fire.
There have been three incidents of the electric bidet accessory in Toto's Z series catching fire.

"Fortunately nobody was using the toilets when the fire broke out and there were no injuries," a company spokesman said.

"The fire would have been just under your buttocks," she added.

Toto is a pioneer of high-tech toilets with built-in bidets, which are popular in Japan.

The Z series features a pulsating massage spray, a power dryer, a "tornado wash" flush, and a lid that opens and closes automatically.

It is not sold outside Japan.

The offending loos were all manufactured between May 1996 and December 2001.

Link

Back