• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tom Slemen's Books

tilly50 said:
St James is but a stagger from the Phil and Toxteth was full of student flats in the 70's. Slemen also bases one of his stories (about a ghost/vampire/ghoul?) in a basement off Brownlow Hill, not to mention the Hauntings around Rodney Street. Most of us walked from the halls of residence, through Sefton Park to the university buildings and later got digs in the old houses around the area.

How would Lemon get ahold of stories you and friends created though?

Folk talk, drunk folk talk loudly and some folk listen. How else do urban legends get started??

Was what you and your friends doing popular enough to get around though?

Have any of you met Lemon?

Even if he based it over what your saying, it's still strange to change details and make it his own, which shows what he's really like.

I don't doubt for a second that there isn't an element of embellishment of Mr Slemen's work. I don't believe however, that there is enough in the way of evidence to support the notion that it's all a hoax. I also disagree that all of his cases *are* 'hauntings'.

It's very convenient to collect them all up as 'ghost stories' but from what I've encountered in Tom Slemen's work several would be better classified as potential time slip experiences and others just.... general weird shit! :)

And like I say, I don't doubt for a second that he's not embellished stories. He's done radio. There's elements of showmanship, of course there is.

But I don't think that should be used to write off everything. Embellishment doesn't mean something isn't grounded in fact or genuine experience at its beginnings.

Last edited:
I still get his Kindle books now and then, one of my favorites was the Blitz era story of "Sandbag Daley". Nothing paranormal about it...but hilarity when the deceased are late for their own funerals.

"You got a lot of 'splaining to do" as the old TV line goes.

Back