• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Top Ten Ghost Pictures - Breakout

JackDark

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Breaking out from the top 10 ghost pics thread, I'd like to discuss this one picture a bit further...

There are 2 'apparitions' in the pic. The husband standing behind the lady, and the hooded dude hovering over the red car in the background.

Now, whilst the husband could actually be a real guy standing behind the woman - tall, but real - I dont believe that is it. I believe that it is indeed a genuine spirit.

I base this on some wonderful photos I saw a few years back. My auntie would bring them down from the loft only under extreme pressure. They were pictures of her mum, and directly behind her was her (dead) husband. Just as clear as the husband in this photo actually - not a blur, or 'something out of nothing'. However, right in the corner of all of the pics where the husband appeared - he appeared in 3 of the set - there was a very VERY nasty looking disembodied head. It almost looked like it was sculpted out of wood. Facially its' sharp features resembled the hooded figure in the pic here. After a lot of deliberation, and the involvement of some rather more qualified people from Manchester University, we concluded that this figure was in fact the spirit guide. Effectively bringing the husband down to earth for a visit, in, well, 'shackles' if you like.

Seeing this picture here, brought that all back to me and therefore, mainly because of the guy in the background, yes, I personally believe that this is a genuine ghost pic.

womanhusbandkl7.jpg

i understand maybe your auntie isn't very keen on this, but could there be a way for you to show us those pictures?

I agree that those pictures you mention sound very interesting, and would be cool if you could post them.

Taking the photo above in isolation, I see no reason to believe the guy behind the lady is anything other than flesh and blood.

On it's own the photo doesn't mean much - what gives it any meaning or relevance is the story attached to it. And one can only take someone's word for it that the story is true. Otherwise it is just a mundane photo.

Jerry_B said:
On it's own the photo doesn't mean much - what gives it any meaning or relevance is the story attached to it. And one can only take someone's word for it that the story is true. Otherwise it is just a mundane photo.
I hear you, but the story in this case can be distilled down to these essential details, none of which is very compelling:

1. "My sister took two pictures that day, and this is one of them. It was taken on Sunday, 8/17/97"

2. "we think the man behind her is my grandpa who passed away on Sunday, 8/14/84"

3. "We did not notice the man in the picture until Christmas Day, 2000"

When I said "taken in isolation" I meant in isolation from Jack's comments above, which describe certain similar characteristics, not in isolation from the story, which doesnt mention whether or not a guy was actually standing behind the lady when the photo was taken - presumably they dont recall either way?

Also, theres no mention of the hooded figure in the original account. I wonder if thats something in the image that has become more pronounced in the scanning process maybe, with colour approximation.

I have to say, I see no hooded figure. Just a pattern in the leaves of the tree over the car.

more photo oddness there

Take a look at the folding chair to the right. That's either two folding chairs or one that has been moved in a later frame. If two chairs, the near one seems to be in front of the lady's shoulder, and the far one just dissolves into the background. There's some doubling of the image of the chairs there, too.

I suspect there's been more than a little tinkering with the photograph.

To keep the discussion flowing. IF the guy behind the lady was real, then, ask yourself why would he be on the picture at all? Surely, the person taking the shot would have waited for him to move? And by his position there, he hasn't just wandered into the shot just as the trigger was pulled. Nah, it's not that simple.

It's the Cumberland Spaceman all over again! Maybe he's really a seagull?

JackDark said:
Nah, it's not that simple.

Is the idea that for some reason a dead person decides to hang around in such a way any better? If the dead person knows that they are going to appear in the photo (or hopes as much), why stand in that particular spot? Why not position themselves right next to the subject? I mean, after all, if you're dead and going to make the effort to appear in a photo, why not place yourself in a better position - perhaps one that doesn't seem less odd?

Once again I'm reminded that, apparently, the dead tend to hang about in odd ways. Doesn't bode well for the afterlife... ;)

Jerry_B said:
JackDark said:
Nah, it's not that simple.

Is the idea that for some reason a dead person decides to hang around in such a way any better? If the dead person knows that they are going to appear in the photo (or hopes as much), why stand in that particular spot? Why not position themselves right next to the subject?

Good point, but its rhetorical pessimism. ;)

Surely the FIRST question to be asked here is, can we eliminate the chances of the guy being human?

And I offered a reason why I believed we could. ...

Besides that, he may have turned up without his strides. :roll:

I also don't see a "hooded figure" above the cars. There's a strange spot of the leaves that appears more grey than the rest, and if I look really closely, I can see some part that might be a simulacra of a face of some sort, but try as I might, I don't see a hood.

And the folding chairs appear perfectly normal to me. The lighting in this photo is such that it seems to wash out some areas of the photo - common in non-professional outdoor photography. I think that's what might be making the chairs look a little odd. But there's nothing unnatural about them that I can see, and nothing that suggests manipulation to me.

As for the man in the photo, I have no particular opinion. I agree that it's an odd place for someone to be standing, but again, amateur photographers don't always notice what's in the background of their subject. He might have noticed some movement that caught his eye, which happened to be the photographer preparing to take the photo, and that's why he's looking directly at the camera. I work in a building that's a tourist attraction, so I end up in people's photos a lot, and I've noticed the same thing happening to me, where my attention is drawn to what turns out to be a photographer putting a camera to his/her eye, and there I am staring straight into the camera, sometimes at quite a distance.

[eta:] What does seem strange to me is the claim that the sisters didn't see the man in the photo until several years after it was taken...

Concentrating on the trees:

Above the rear window of the red car (Volvo estate?) there are two light grey faces, one above and slighly to the right of the other.

Above the white car on the left, there's another face.

The place is crawling with ghosts - where was the pic taken? Borley Rectory?

JackDark said:
Good point, but its rhetorical pessimism. ;)
Surely the FIRST question to be asked here is, can we eliminate the chances of the guy being human?

And I offered a reason why I believed we could. ...

But it's not out of the realms of possibility that someone was standing there at the time, as has been pointed out by decipheringscars. Seems to be a bit of a leap of faith to instead say 'It's a spirit', IMHO.

I didnt see the hooded figure at first, on second inspection its as clear as day, but look at any clump of bushes/ trees and its always easy to see faces, like in 70s wallpaper they are always there haha.
The man just seems to be standing in the background, are there other photos? I think you mentioned there was more than one? The only thing strange about the chair is that the shoulder/sleave of the lady seems to follow the line of the back of the chair perfectly, making it look super-imposed, this could easily be coincidence.
Thanks for posting, its really intresting.

I think you have to question the ability of the photographer firstly. For starters, the composition has a set of handlebars jutting in the frame so if they were not bothered about having that in there, why would they pay attention to the background??

However, the supposed figure that is infront of the trees / above the red car, seems to be in proportion to the husband, if the 'guide' was standing behind the husband and to the left as we look at it.

The other thing to remember is that if it was a random person in the background who simply was not noticed at the point the photograph was taken, then it's a pretty big coincidence that he happens to look the spitting image of the lady's late husband.

I think there are two folding chairs on the right of the picture, seen at different angles.

The 'handlebar' is probably the handle of a walking frame, such as a lot of elderly people have. It would be natural for the frame to be right in front of the person as they need it for support when sitting down and standing up.

b6_2.JPG

when I first looked at the pic I couldn't see anything, was all set to type as much in this post but then I looked back and suddenly it's there, clear as anything, a face over the red car and what looks like a black hood or cloak. As much as I'm tempted to dismiss it as a trick caused by the branches, the closer I look at it the weirder it seems because the colours are so different and it's actually quite hard to step back and see it as just branches, it looks like a totally different image over the top of the trees to me, for what it's worth. It's quite creepy.

Would love to see the photos mentioned in the original post, but if that's not possible then thanks anyway for making already quite a weird pic seem even stranger! I would never have noticed unless it was pointed out, have seen that pic quite a few times before and never remotely noticed anything except the dude standing behind the woman.

I am quite sceptical about the pic - the face is so clear, so flesh and bone-like that I can't understand how they could not have noticed the 'ghost', particularly if it really resembles the lady's late husband. But it's still one of the better ghost pics doing the rounds imo. You're not going to get a definative 'yes it's a ghost/no it's not' answer with any of them, so it's nice to keep an open mind and appreciate a good story/creepy pic for what it is.

We had a good 'ghost' pic a few years ago. It was of some kids sitting in front of a switched-off TV.

The TV screen seems to reflecting a man's torso, dressed in a double-breasted jacket, which the woman who took the photo swears resembles her late husband, right down to the suit he was buried in... :shock:

I will see if I can dig it out.

escargot1 said:
The TV screen seems to reflecting a man's torso... which the woman who took the photo swears resembles her late husband, right down to the suit he was buried in... :shock:

The picture rather than the husband, I hope. I mean, I'm sure you want to be thorough, and all that, but...

escargot1 said:
We had a good 'ghost' pic a few years ago. It was of some kids sitting in front of a switched-off TV.

Why, is it BURIED somewhere?

*Cue spectral puns * :D

IMHO its all in the eye of the beholder, if you want to believe theres something in the randomness of leaves, then you will. ive blown the image up, changed brightness/saturation/etc and all i see is the randomness of leaves.

Mikko85 made me look at the bushes and lordy lord [dark one obviously] are there quite a few hooded characters and a sort of demon/tortoise face and wohoo many many more...

Jerry_B said:
Once again I'm reminded that, apparently, the dead tend to hang about in odd ways. Doesn't bode well for the afterlife... ;)

Maybe not, but it beats all heck out of spending the hereafter as an "orb." Who wants to spend eternity as a little bounding ball?

The gentleman in the photograph seems to be standing at a considerable distance behind the woman subject in the foreground, judging by the relative sizes of their heads.

So unless he's standing on higher ground or on a raised platform, he seems impossibly tall.

OldTimeRadio said:
The gentleman in the photograph seems to be standing at a considerable distance behind the woman subject in the foreground, judging by the relative sizes of their heads.

So unless he's standing on higher ground or on a raised platform, he seems impossibly tall.

I agree. It's a ghost. Get over it. 8)

Yup. It's a ghost. In fact there's another one standing right behind you.

Haha, made you look! :lol:

escargot1 said:
Yup. It's a ghost. In fact there's another one standing right behind you.

Haha, made you look! :lol:

:oops:

JackDark said:
OldTimeRadio said:

I agree. It's a ghost. Get over it.
The perspective looks fine to me, its clear the woman is sat down, the photographer also.

I think it's an interesting pic, but like others have said, unless I was told it was a 'ghost' photo, I wouldn't have thought anything odd about it. I completely relies on the story that accompanies for it to be taken as anything other than a snap of Granny.

As for the 'hooded figure' in the trees, I can see it too, but I am quite sure it's a trick of the light in the leaves.

Back