• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Here in the good old UK the BBC have just broadcast a show on 50 places to see before you die (Grand Canyon was number 1 as you're asking) and that got me wondering - what would you regard as the top fortean locations?

Post away people

Gordon

Loch Ness for starters since I just read that article about Nessie. And no, she's not dead, she can't be! *sniff*

Hmm.. Borley Rectory maybe? Stonehenge? Those caves near Liverpool where evil dwarves live?

There's loads of eerie places back home in North Wales. In a large swish from Abergele to Abersoch, I bet there's more than a hundred places that'd keep Fortean investigators happy for a long time! Mystery lives in them thar hills :)

Avebury is very high on the list for me..a memorable place and all its environs like Silbury And Windmill hill.....

Snowman X said:
Those caves near Liverpool where evil dwarves live?

I wouldn't call Mancunians evil:laughing:

Cardiff castle should be on anyones list, more ghosts than you can shake a stick at, a ruined monestry nearby and a fairly unknown stone circle ajacent to it (not the gossarth circle near the museum this is a different one).
to locate the circle climb to the top of the norman keep and look in the direction of the river.
Many of the ghoasts arn't mentioned on the tours but if you ask the staff they'll tell you about them (I do volentear work in the welsh regiment musum in the black tower dureing the summer(which has 3 ghosts {it used to be a prison}) I've experienced strange goings on here too...

Definatly a very fortean place.

area 51

deep ocean trenches,bluff creek (big foot),sumatra(orang pendnid),chinese wildman in remote china,also that supposed alien space port in remote china,the hall of records below the spinx's paw...

I'd like to add my little hometown of Witney, West Oxfordshire to the Fortean map. It has a lovely old church which according to the local tourist board dates from the 1400s, but has an 11th century spire! Everytime I walk past I think that for 500 years people trod the same path thinking "nice spire... we really should put something under it" :D

We also have the Wychwood Brewrey, home of Hobgoblin real ale, so if anyone cares to visit they are more than welcome to buy me a drink (I'm generous that way!)

Jane.

I'd like to see many of the places mentioned above, and a few of the standards (not Roswell, it's all touristy now). There's also an odd place near here I'd like to try and track down some day. Some years ago George King of the Aetherius Society charged up a mountain down in the Australian Alps as part of their plan to defend the Earth from the evil aliens. It would be interesting to try and find the location, and see if the markings they painted there are still visible.

One day when I have a lot of time to spare, and feel like wandering around the high country for a bit.

I'd have to say Palenque, in Chiapas, Mexico.

Its a Beautiful site, nestling at the foot of the Chiapas Highlands, in the middle of tropical Forest. The pryamid of inscriptions Houses the Tomb of King Pacal, 7th Century ruler who brought Palenque to Prominence in the Classic Mayan world. if you go down into the tomb (On Perilously Slippery Steps!) you'll se the Sarcophagus lid, with the famous image of the 'Mayan Spaceman' Popularised by Von Daniken and his ilk as an ancient astronaut. (It Actually depicts Pacal descending into Xibalba at the foot of the world tree.)

Its most beautiful at dawn, when the mist rises and hangs eerily around the Buildings, giving it an 'Otherworldy' feel.

Oh, and apperently, itf you imbibe the local mushrooms, you're likely to see a procession of Mayan Gods walking the forest trails!

And what abput that program? Disney at No. 3 Rome at 36 :wtf: theres no accounting for taste is there?!

mother shiptons's cave and petrefying well is worth a visit and of corse whitly (sp?) bay deserves an honerable mention for fictional forteania and Dracula lovers.

Cannock Woods - British Bigfoot and UFO crash-site
Longdendale Valley - Earth Lights, Giant Slugs

Bermuda Triangle (aka Devil's Triangle). The pyramids. And the South American pyramids.

Well our haunted farmhouse in North Wales is certainly worth a visit! It is not generally open to the public, but occasionally we allow folk who are especially interested in our phenomena to have a peek, there is plenty to see! We have been featured on The Discovery Channel recently and an article about our extraordinary home was in October's Journal of The Society for Psychical Reseach.:eek!!!!:

mejane re:- hobgoblin ale

i really enjoy few couple of really ice cold bottles of the wych stuff (sorry cant 'member the name @ moment) opened and then put in to to freezer for an 1-2 hour(s)

oll (my i call u oll?) re:- cardiff castell

do u know about the ghostly coach+4? that gos over the (old?)canton bridge (possible remains castell side of bridge?) and the stone cicle ? i that is moden? cos of the frirey

I'd add the Old Man of Gugh on the Scilly Isles, and the church at Burgh St Peter which is supposed to be haunted by the devil. It looks quite unusual too.

Not Fortean in the classic sense but a place with real 'atmosphere' is Pompeii - don't know anyone who came out of that place quite the same as they went in.

Rockin', first post... hi everybody...

Brazil's Mato Grosso should be on the list - very unknown, very cool. Heck, almost all the Amazon is a rather Fortean place, all so unexplored and difficult to access. Same goes for Mokele Mbembe's hangout, those jungles in the old Congo.

Tunguska too - easy to get there, just follow the path of destruction. :)

Finally, a voting booth in Florida - some extremely bizarre happenings there... ;)

melforkbeard said:
oll (my i call u oll?) re:- cardiff castell

do u know about the ghostly coach+4? that gos over the (old?)canton bridge (possible remains castell side of bridge?) and the stone cicle ? i that is moden? cos of the frirey

The gosseth(sp?) circle by the museum is moden (built for an eistedfordd) but I think the one near the castle is an old one that was reerected I heard, its near where blackfriers stood but not compleatly on top of it, many christian site were built on top of or near old pagan ones (same is true in greece). I haven't seen that circle up close though only from the top of the norman keap.
Interestingly though not a lot of people know this but the mellenium stadium/arms park were built on the site of an old roman amphitheatre, so it's posibly britains oldest sporting venue still in use today :)
Talking to my uncle (who works in the castle) there are at least 2 other ghosts in the castle he knows about (other than the 3 in the black tower and the one that I had an experience of there {which wasen't tecknicly a haunting} i'll dig up the link) one haunt's a section of the castles roman wall not open to the public, the other is often mentioned on the tours of the castle and is the old nanny that haunts the nersery, the nannys ghoast is sometimes atributed to rocking the old crib in the nersery too.

EDIT: Heres the link to the tecknickly not a haunting thing I mentioned in this post. (tip of the day: ignore the realy bad spelling and check it out)
the oddest thing that has ever happened to me.

Snowman X said:
There's loads of eerie places back home in North Wales. In a large swish from Abergele to Abersoch, I bet there's more than a hundred places that'd keep Fortean investigators happy for a long time! Mystery lives in them thar hills :)

Right, you're on!

I'm off to north Wales this weekend, looking for megaliths (there's loads) and MYSTERY!

What you got to offer?
:D

Hi all, first (ish) post, nice to know ya....
Have to agree with Marion and Snowman - I love Glastonbury, although the town has gone downhill of late....
and Borley Rectory? Hoooooooooooo!
Wierd dtuff goes on there, seen more than enough documentaries on it, would love to see it...
and what about Avebury and Stonhenge. Especially Avebury, as you can get right into the thick of it...(hard not to really)
Took a couple of sceptics dowsing there and reallly showed them a thing or two!!!

Bosbaba said:
Not Fortean in the classic sense but a place with real 'atmosphere' is Pompeii - don't know anyone who came out of that place quite the same as they went in.

Amazing, isn't it?

Life in the city just put on pause as the Vesuvius errupted. Most ancient sites are too 'remote' for us to clearly picture the human context, but here everything from the graffiti to the food in the pots and even the preserved bodies shouts that this was home to thousands; it's just a city well preserved at half height or so—amazing. Favourite part: the ampitheatre as used for the Pink Floyd's performance 'Live in Pompeii'.

Stanton Drew stone circles are a good one, just a few miles from Bristol but not easily spotted , you have to know its there. The second biggest stone circle after Avebury ,totally untouched and unrenovated ,the stones (some of them are enormous) are amazing, full of face simulacra and there are strange atmospheres there.

Roche Rock in Cornwall.

A Victorian folly but looks like something out of LOTR.

No, not a Hobbit!

Dudleytown, Connecticut. Supposedly so haunted that it's abandoned, the story goes that those who attempted to settle there either went mad, or murdered each other/themselves, or both.

Does sound like a load of crap, though.

Back