• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Torchwood: Dr Who Spin-Off With Captain Jack

I laughed until I cried...no, hang on...

No word on what's happening with Rhys, though? And the kid? And they're running out of characters to kill off just to elicit an emotional response from the audience. (Which could be what's happening with Rhys. And the kid.)

having seen a few eps of spartacus I suspect torchwood won't get shown on the beeb. from what I've seen all female actresses are obliged to reveal their boobs at least once an episode.
I can't imagine the beeb would allow the language either "where are the <insert profanity> aliens?";

Well we saw John Barrowman's bum in Torchwood, a few boobs won't worry the Beeb after the watershed..

There's been swearing in Torchwood before, too. And the occasional sex scene.

Anome_ said:
I laughed until I cried...no, hang on...

No word on what's happening with Rhys, though? And the kid? And they're running out of characters to kill off just to elicit an emotional response from the audience. (Which could be what's happening with Rhys. And the kid.)

Rhys and the child will be in it, or mentioned briefly before we get to all the shagging and violence. They'll also be a scene where Jack and Gwen eat burgers and talk about aliens while looking at a hi-tech laptop.

... and then someone will explode into bloody chunks of flesh, viscera and bone, in slow motion, for no apparent reason...

The last series was so good, so unexpectedly great, that I really had hope that a new series would live up to that, but this promises to be utter shit, I fear. If they'd gone all stupid after season 1, it would have been understandable, but after the high standards set by seasons 2 & 3, it's a real shame that the BBC couldn't go it alone again.

Is there going to be another series? I have heard vague rumours, but nothing concrete!

Since torchwood is one of the few tv shows i watch i am upset that it seems to be turning into another yank sci fi show,dont we have enough of them already?
But on the plus side...Gwen getting them out!!!! Erm did i appear like an internet perv just then? :oops:

47Forteans said:
Is there going to be another series? I have heard vague rumours, but nothing concrete!

Yes, it's a definite now.

The return of Cap'n Jack...
...oh and Gwen Cooper.

When C.I.A. agent Rex Matheson investigates a global conspiracy, he finds himself unearthing a threat which challenges the entire human race.

The answers seem to lie within an old, secret British institute, known only as Torchwood. But Torchwood was destroyed, years ago, and the keys to the institute are held by its only two survivors – former Police Officer Gwen Cooper, who has long since disappeared along with her husband and child, and the mysterious Captain Jack Harkness, a man whose history seems to stretch back centuries.

With Rex under attack from all sides, in both the US and the UK, he soon discovers there are forces at work within every level of society, determined to stop Torchwood’s return. As a chain of events across the world links together the most disparate and unlikely individuals – including a surgeon, a killer, senators and CEOs – a new Torchwood team takes shape. But this time, the threat is much closer to home, as they realize that their greatest enemy is mankind itself…

SOURCE

I hate to say it, but there's only two ways this can go (keep your entendre to yourself, missus.)

Like the last UK series, it could be brilliant, pacey, well-written, keep a careful eye on loose ends and make total sense within the existing context of Torchwood, or...

It'll be a semi-intelligible mess awash with plots within plots within plots and ludicrous cliff-hangers. Oh, and don't get me started if they decide to piss about with time paradoxes.

Please let it be the first one.

Perhaps it will go back to Cyberwoman era Torchwood, and all things heterosexual being close to a terrible death :lol: :twisted:

all things sexual in torchwood seemed to lead to a terrible death...

I'm not a big fan of Torchwood, I've had a few niggles with it in the past...howver that said the TRAILER FOR "Torchwood: Miracle Day" does look rather good. The CIA in helicopters in Colwyn Bay :shock: and Captain Jack's entrance in the trailer is fittingly swashbuckley...enjoy

Not too sure about the new torchwood but i will give it a try, and i just love Gwens one liner in the trailer.Best quote of the year i dare suggest.

It's official: Eliza Dushku will star in Torchwood spinoff series
It's official: Eliza Dushku will star in Torchwood spinoff series

Remember how Jane Espenson teased us a couple of weeks ago with some cryptic tweets hinting that Eliza Dushku might star in a Torchwood spinoff? Well, the mystery has become a reality.

Espenson had tweeted (among other things) that she had "faith in Torchwood: Web of Lies," which we all hoped would mean what we all thought it meant—that Dushku, the actress who'd brought the character of Faith to life on Buffy the Vamppre Slayer, would be starring in a new Torchwood series. And James Hibberd over at EW just broke the news ... that she will!

According to Hibberd:

Dushku has been signed to star in an online animated "motion comic" series based on Starz upcoming Torchwood: Miracle Day.

Titled Torchwood: Web of Lies, Dushku will be front and center in the short-form story, which will also have voice appearances by Torchwood stars John Barrowman as Capt. Jack Harkness and Eve Myles as Gwen Cooper. Jane Espenson, who has worked on Dollhouse, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica and Torchwood, is penning the series along with co-writer Ryan Scott.

The web series will be made up of 10 episodes, each three minutes long, with the first installment launching before Miracle Day premieres and the others going online after each subsequent episode airs.

Looking forward to seeing (or should that be "hearing") Dushku saving the Earth side by side with Barrowman and Myles? We know we are. Because as far as we're concerned, there can never be too much Torchwood!

http://blastr.com/2011/06/its-official-eliza-dushku.php

Ooh, someone has a bigger budget to splash around, eh? Explosions, a big helicopter chase, very swish. Did we really need the massively spoilerific trailer for the rest of the series, though? I know the US slot is different to the UK, but we could have had a Tom and Jerry cartoon instead.

Anyway, it wasn't too bad, a lot of setting up but it's a good idea. But wasn't Nerys Hughes Gwen's mum? Didn't they think the international market could take her? Gwen went a bit Ripley in Aliens there, too. Also, wouldn't the killer's sentence be reduced to life if the execution didn't work? Nitpicking, but you know.

gncxx said:
Ooh, someone has a bigger budget to splash around, eh? Explosions, a big helicopter chase, very swish. Did we really need the massively spoilerific trailer for the rest of the series, though? I know the US slot is different to the UK, but we could have had a Tom and Jerry cartoon instead.

Anyway, it wasn't too bad, a lot of setting up but it's a good idea. But wasn't Nerys Hughes Gwen's mum? Didn't they think the international market could take her? Gwen went a bit Ripley in Aliens there, too. Also, wouldn't the killer's sentence be reduced to life if the execution didn't work? Nitpicking, but you know.

While we're nitpicking.....did the chase helicopter crew die?

I thought it was quite neat. I like it when a show answers my questions like, to what extent do bits of people live?
But I worry about this poor orphan series being sent off to the States to be consumed and shat out. Already we have the possibilty of the Impaled FBI guy becoming immortal and the blonde girl being Rohypnoled in Cardiff City Centre just like Gwen. And they have a Milf Pathologist on top of that.

Wasn't the pathologist awfully thin, though?

Thought it was a bit too wanky and american myself.

Still better than last season, at least so far.

Actually (given that I find nearly all American TV pants - am I the only person who finds "classics " like Frasier unfunny and Glee merely painful?) I thought it was very good and will be watching (tentatively hopeful) the rest

In contrast to the pisspoor and rather expensive 'Outcasts' which 17 of us here in the UK endured to the end, this series is at least showing a commitment to the genre by giving us an execution scene at the start, disembodied zombie corpses and a welsh woman with a rocket launcher.

Outcasts never warmed up in a whole series but at least there's still sci-fi on the box.

jimv1 said:
In contrast to the pisspoor and rather expensive 'Outcasts' which 17 of us here in the UK endured to the end, this series is at least showing a commitment to the genre by giving us an execution scene at the start, disembodied zombie corpses and a welsh woman with a rocket launcher.

Outcasts never warmed up in a whole series but at least there's still sci-fi on the box.

Yay for Welsh women with rocket lanchers!

Judging by the trailer we're in for some high-quality scenery chewing from Bill Pullman as the baddie too.

Back