• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Torchwood: Dr Who Spin-Off With Captain Jack

Arrghh! after waiting for months for it i forgot it was on! :roll:

Judging by the trailer we're in for some high-quality scenery chewing from Bill Pullman as the baddie too.

It will be worth watching for that alone.

It wasn't bad but can the whole story be kept interesting enough for 10 episodes? Not sure about that.

Given the trepidation with which I watched, I came out pleasantly surprised. Just as much emphasis given to the British cast as the Americans (well, almost), and a good set-up to the series. Mind you, how long will the story be? If the protracted preview was anything to go by, it'll last for ever...

In answer to the question about the helicopter crew, my guess is that they'd be alive, but horribly maimed, just like the suicide bomber in the CIA archives, and thus unable to pose any kind of threat to the good guys!

Finally, I'm hoping that the CIA agent with the hole in his chest is supposed to be funny, because every mannerism made me chuckle!

Phew. It finally aired in the UK! Second episode is tonight for us.

I hope this turns out to be an example of what can be achieved with UK talent and US money. Full disclosure, I'm a Brit that's lived in the US for 8 years.

Did anyone else notice that she show REALLY got going after a long buildup (when Gwen went all Terminator) at 45 minutes. I like to think it was at 45 minutes 6 seconds.

Was that Lauren Ambrose (Claire from Six Feet Under) in the great big trailer? Hooray, if so (and another redhead for Rynner's tally).

Sorry just realised that all ten episodes are about the "miracle day " plot , so we're back at the American Lost/EtC.Etc. , endless nonsense!! sorry as brit who admired Torchwood I shan't be watching any more Yank idiocy

BlackPeter said:
Sorry just realised that all ten episodes are about the "miracle day " plot , so we're back at the American Lost/EtC.Etc. , endless nonsense!! sorry as brit who admired Torchwood I shan't be watching any more Yank idiocy
Will they be able to sustain it for that long without a monster of the week? I have me doubts. Otherwise, I found the return of Torchwood strangely satisfying.

Could be building up to a zombie holocaust, of course.

Noote Wrang with Zombies as we northern clog wearing folks say (in between loading silver bullets into our south-of-Watford-Gap weapons)

BlackPeter said:
Noote Wrang with Zombies as we northern clog wearing folks say (in between loading silver bullets into our south-of-Watford-Gap weapons)
Can't be bothered with them. Modern undead zombies are the most boring of all modern monsters. No personality and intended almost entirely for target practice.

The horror of classic zombie lore is that of the slave trapped powerless under the will of the slave-master. The modern zombie is the slave in revolt. George Romero was someone who really understood the irony, that the horror of that revolt is being seen from the slave-master's POV.

Watched it last night , i was fully prepared to hate it but found it very enjoyable.But i get the impression the rest of it will be all set in the USA,so i dunno if i will enjoy it if its goes all guns n explosions n helicopter chases.

Has Gwen's hair changed colour? It looked more brown then the raven black it used to be,i dunno if i will fancy her as much she will be sad to learn. :D

And are there really no toll bridges in yankland?

BlackPeter said:
Well, I think it was well known that the series would be one long story, as per the last season, so thanks for answering my question as to how long, at least.

As for your comparison with Lost, however, I don't think that it stacks up. With Lost, it was always going to last several seasons, of 20-odd episodes each, and it just kept growing and growing ot the point where very few cared what happened.

With this season of Torchwood, I'm happy enough knowing that it's 10 episodes long, and that if and when it returns again to our screen, it'll be with a wholly different story or stories. The expression "Yank idiocy", frankly, is quite insulting to a nation which has produced a huge amount of ground-breaking TV, and it's to the credit of everyone involved that the first episode still managed to retain some of the original's British (indeed, Welsh!) flavour.

Will they be able to sustain it for that long without a monster of the week? I have me doubts.

Episode 2 really is Zzzzz (can't find a smiley for that), didn;t think a great deal happened in it and we don;t really end up any the wiser as to what's going on.

Peripart said:
The expression "Yank idiocy", frankly, is quite insulting to a nation which has produced a huge amount of ground-breaking TV, and it's to the credit of everyone involved that the first episode still managed to retain some of the original's British (indeed, Welsh!) flavour.

I always got the impression that Torchwood always really really wanted to be American anyway, so don't have a problem with that part.

Have to agree with Peripart that "Yank idiocy"was probably a bit strong- apologies for that- but I really do feel that Torchwood as a 10 parter on one subject is a profoundly different thing from the threat a week nature of its past (and anyway who is guarding the rift in Cardiff?!)

BlackPeter said:
but I really do feel that Torchwood as a 10 parter on one subject is a profoundly different thing from the threat a week nature of its past (and anyway who is guarding the rift in Cardiff?!)

Agreed. It was pitched as Doctor Who for grown ups.

The thing I couldn't get was that American Intelligence had no idea the Severn Bridge is a toll bridge. Pretty basic knowledge in the UK! ;)

Moooksta said:
The thing I couldn't get was that American Intelligence had no idea the Severn Bridge is a toll bridge. Pretty basic knowledge in the UK! ;)
I'm betting you didn't know that the Antioch Bridge in California is a toll bridge.

No actually Black Peter didn't!!! Check postings! But it's still a very interesting point toll bridges are actually fairly common in the USA compared with UK so this is a very odd scenario??

BlackPeter said:
No actually Black Peter didn't!!! Check postings! But it's still a very interesting point toll bridges are actually fairly common in the USA compared with UK so this is a very odd scenario??
No, it was Mooksta.

Edit: Quote tags fixed. P_M

They missed a trick in having the welsh woman firing a Rocket Launcher at a helicopter on the beach fully clothed. In the States, I'm pretty certain in my own head, she'd be in a clingy swimsuit with some cool shades on.

I'm just shocked that they managed to get through a whole episode with no nudity or shagging!

Well there is plenty of time for Gwen to get em out. :D

Ronson8 said:
Moooksta said:
I'm betting you didn't know that the Antioch Bridge in California is a toll bridge.

Your right I didn't but if i was a top secret MI5 operative driving toward it on the phone to a MI5 operative in the MI5 office keeping tabs on my top secret journey I'd expect at the least a heads up.

I read in the paper today a gay sex scene with Captain Jack had been cut from the UK version of Torchwood by the BBC. Apparently he was shagging a barman (classy), which sounds a bit hilarious. Bad form, Auntie Beeb, for denying us this naughtiness.

Ronson8 said:
It's bound to turn up on you tube. :roll:

I don't know when he's supposed to have time for it!

Anyway, more fun tonight, especially liked the Crystal Maze-esque save Captain Jack puzzle and delighted to see Lauren Ambrose is indeed in this (doesn't look like she's in it next week, though). They are packing in as many possible outcomes for the human race's immortality as they can, I noticed, but maybe they'll settle down.

To be fair, the 'saving Jack' sequence certainly had some pace and tension to it, and that's been missing in some of the other episodes. Made a change from the Torchwood gang jumping into a black 4X4 and speeding off through Cardiff, which never quite caught any tension. If I never see another 'Cardiff by night' helicopter shot, my life won't be any the poorer.

BlackRiverFalls said:
I'll admit to wondering if that bit was meant to be a tribute to McGyver or something.

A bit Apollo 13 as well, I thought.

Back