• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Torchwood: Dr Who Spin-Off With Captain Jack

can't see Dichen Lachman making a re-appearance - although if she ain't dead maybe she'll come back?

apart from that ep2 moved the plot along quite nicely without being amazing or anything special.

She's clearly tied to whatever's going on for some reason.

And Dichen may be back, once she gets her head back on the right way. I can't wait for all the people to drop dead when they fix whatever's going on.

The whole thing with Jack being mortal now doesn't make sense, given the nature of his immortality, and that it doesn't seem to match what's happening to everyone else. (When Jack was blown up, and burnt to a cinder, he got better, the "corpses" in this don't seem to.)

But didn't falling into the pool kinda temper him? Like a sword.

jimv1 said:
I am rather enjoying it.
That redhead with the cards....she's a bit devilish isn't she?

She's the great Lauren Ambrose from Six Feet Under and Psycho Beach Party. I'd be very pleased if she plays a major role later on.

Also, Dichen in a neck brace was in the trailer for next week's episode, so we're not done with her.

Anyone think Gwen was trying to break the record for saying "bloody" the most times in an hour?

Bit of a so-so episode , saved only by Gwen on the plane , and Gwen's "i am welsh " line.Gwen is something special. :kissers:

Something really actually needs to happen soon. I don;t mind the 'slow burn' approach if there's a good pay off, but right now, this could go any which way.

Must be getting back on TW form though as we got some gay shagging, and I can hear myself saying that in a Welsh accent. :lol:

Ooh, it was like Mission Impossible tonight, complete with gay leading man. Thought the rest stop in the plot for rumpy pumpy was crowbarred in (pardon the expression) but it recovered for creepy business with Bill Pullman and a twist that would be more surprising if they hadn't given it away in the trailer a couple of weeks ago.

Looks like Mare Winningham is in it next week, or someone who looks like her.

I thought last nights episode was an attempt bring the personal, emotional side to the plot. Didn't quite work for me though. Maybe it was because of the way the characters were shown to have a human side, Gwen and Ester were concerned about family, Jack and Rex worked through their emotions through their c**ks. A bit clumsy, didn't give much complexity to the new characters really.

Am I right that this is being shown simultaneously in the US?

The US episodes go out on a Friday night, the same ep. goes out here the following Thursday night.

Losing interest rapidly now.Gwen was wonderful as ever, but apart from jacks "you should have seen the other man " line, it was very slow n boring. :(

Hah!!!!!!!
I keep going back to the big fail that was 'Outcasts' because they failed to tell one story over the whole series and that was the worst sci-fi I have seen on the beeb.

I was hoping that those with an eye on commissioning had a knowledge of the genre or at least a sense of pacing. This should have been wrapped up and sat on by now. Next week at the latest.

'Are we alright Gwen?' as a conversation could have been done by dodging some monstrous wriggly creature in a new story arc in a different location -as opposed to wriggly creature dealt with in the current location.

See what I doneth thither?

So so sad. Just caught up on plus. Wonderful production*, great american settting. WTF is going on - is it all just a lame macguffin to allow Barrowman to 'age' a bit. I think it probably is.

Clumsy emoting in males - whoever the subject of inetrest. Especially when there are good female characters who do so well with the scripts they are probably lumbered with.

Just like Doctor Who there is a serious weak link - and sadly it is RTD.

RTD, just do actual SciFi for FS. If you cant there are loads of slash authors who could fill your shoes.

All that said I will be tuning in to the end in the hope that eventually it comes right - fingers crossed :?

* except the baby in arms stuff which was cgi to spare the child the bangs etc for health and safety. Understandable but could have been better cgi.

It's weird.
The guys have to prove themselves by Trial of Empathy with the nearest lovely man or woman (or just getting shagged will do as that is enough for plot exposition) while the girls level up by getting sweary and punchy on a plane or being ubertechy in the IT department and meh in the bedlinen dept.

Me now meh.
It's tempting, but I'm pretty sure the Dignitas Swiss Finishing Clinic is well backed-up now.

Mare Winningham AND C. Thomas Howell tonight! Here's hoping for Ralph Macchio and Deborah Foreman next week. Can't believe they used the ancient "baddie incapacitated just before he gives the vital information" cliché, but it does look as if things are moving on significantly next time. Still not buying the new messiah angle with the Bill Pullman character.

At least something actually happened but it's still not delivering much to say that we're 4/10 of the way through.

Also rather debating if they're going for the 'it's a cookbook' ending? :(

Well. Captain Jack seems to have become immune to the world's numerous viruses pretty quickly.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Also rather debating if they're going for the 'it's a cookbook' ending? :(
Same occurred to me - either a Soylent Green variation (kept alive to keep them fresh?) or some sort of Matrix-style giant battery/fuel thing.

Anyway, glad it perked up a bit last night, as if it hadn't I'd have walked. I know I say it about nearly everything, but they could have easily progressed this far in three episodes rather than four. It's at least 25% padding.

I was thinking that as much as anything because of the heavy 'homage' :wince: to Quatermass and a bunch of other stuff last season, I like RTD's writing a lot for SJA but for what he's done with TW i'd soon he actually remade old sci-fi than recycled it that ham fistedly.

maybe the aliens turn up just when the earth is on the brink of crisis and offer to take all those pesky undead off out hands?

OK another episode that limps ahead. Compared with the pace of say - CSI New York its glacial.

I still think that whatever the derivitive point (I don't think its as innovative as quatermass or soylent green - to me its just smartly padded outdated ideas of people being marginalised for being different) there is a side maguffin of Barrowmans ageing which this addresses too.

Just like Doctor Who which is better for RTDs departure this could have been so much better.

I mean FFS how many people in the middle of a life or death mission talk to their family, oblivious to surviellance. In RTD's universe all of them it seems - for piss poor effect. Has this guy ever left his living room?

That is the crap that ruined DW. Trying to splice the shallow day to day existence of mobile toting hoi polloi with drama / scifi just jarred so badly its was the trigger that jumped you out of the viewing experience and back into reality.

I hate it because I like the Captain Jack character so much it irritates me to watch it squandered on such crap.

Never has fan fiction been so superior to the original.

For what it's worth, RTD hasn't written the most recent three episodes. And they had to give Kai Owen something to do, I suppose.

I've got very mixed feelings about this - like a lot of you, I guess.

On the one hand, there's enough going on to keep me watching, but on the other, it's ludicrous that it needs 10 episodes to tell the story. There's not a tale ever written that needed 10 hours to tell. When Children of Earth came along, I had my doubts beforehand, but the 5-episode format was, in retrospect, bang on for what the creators of the show were trying to do.

I'm certain that the same could have been done this time, but if the tie-in between the 2 production companies really demanded 10 episodes, would it have been too testing to do more than one story?

Oh, heck - TBH, this series could have been a disaster, given its gestation, but it's far from being that. I'll keep tunig in, but the big reveal had better be good!

Like Peripart, I think they'd have been better doing two five parters or even two four parters and a two parter. This has got the sort of stringing out of narrative that did for the last series of Heros, or stretched Lost long beyond it s natural length.

Cut out the family stuff and keep the story moving.

I'll confess to wondering if the last series was a 10 parter that got made into a 5 parter, if the pacing of this is anything to go by.

was boooooored watching this , thinking of switching off , then jack called himself john smith and i perked up a bit ,then Gwen dressed in a slinky black number and i perked up a lot. :madeyes: Everything was good after that.

I'll agree with everyone who is torn.

The plot is as good as ever, the characters drawn and acted as well as ever, but it's so slooooooow!

Hopefully it'll pick up as we march toward the thrilling climax, by which I mean the the season finale and not's Jack's recent antics with the bartender. Actually (diverting, slightly) I heard they cut out all the gay fun in the British airing - can anyone confirm that for us stuck in Yankland?

The gay fun was still in!! there needed to be something of interest in that episode :D

latest episode going into much darker territory.
genuinely horrible that one.
burning one of the stars not nice.

Might have known she wasn't long for this world when she was always the "special guest star" in the opening credits. Yeah, finally things are happening, but it's nasty stuff, and is it time to cry "Godwin!" as the Nazis are invoked?

Back