• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Touching Bronze Statues For Luck

“Wednesday 18 January 1664/65

Up and by and by to my bookseller’s, and there did give thorough direction for the new binding of a great many of my old books, to make my whole study of the same binding...”
“Friday 3 February 1664/65

So back again on foot to the ‘Change, in my way taking my books from binding from my bookseller’s. My bill for the rebinding of some old books to make them suit with my study, cost me, besides other new books in the same bill, 3l.; but it will be very handsome.”
https://www.pepysdiary.com/diary/1665/02/03/

maximus otter
Love that! Thanks for posting it.

1569707175588.png

this is the statue of Sir Francis Powell in Wigans Mesnes (pronounced mains) park, it is considered lucky to stroke his foot... (i dont know why?)

The statue to the explorer Matthew Flinders, accompanied by his cat Trim, stands outside Euston Station in London. (It used to be inside on the concourse but took up too much space.)

Trim gets regular head-rubs from passengers and passers-by, including me. I always visit and say 'Hi Trim!' and give him a little pat.

shiny Trim .jpg

Incidentally, Flinders was known to be buried on the site of what became Euston Station. Long story short, his coffin was found during excavations, to great rejoicing.

Body Of World Famous Explorer Found Buried At Euston Station

The body of the explorer Captain Matthew Flinders — the first known person to circumnavigate Australia — has been uncovered during HS2 works at Euston.

A coffin with a lead breastplate bearing Flinders' name was unearthed in St. James's burial ground, immediately to the west of Euston station. He was buried here on 23 July 1814, but following the expansion of Euston station into part of the burial ground in the 1840s, Flinders' headstone was removed, and it was thought that his remains had been lost forever.
etc

Maybe you need to be the one to start the pattern:)

I did think of that, but it's a sombre thing. Seems disrespectful to touch it. Apparently it's not just me!

A line of bronze WW1 soldiers was installed at Piccadilly Station in Manchester last year -

A poignant new statue has been unveiled in Manchester

I've seen this work many times but haven't yet noticed any particular rubbing pattern.

In stark contrast is this Las Vegas frieze. And I can definitely see a particular rubbing pattern. Might be NSFW depending on a number of variables but the site is the BBC :)

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/D8A7/production/_108936455_gettyimages-630060304.jpg

They seems to be examples with personality. Did you gather if they were done as portraits?

I can't locate the photos now, but there is one statue on Charles Bridge in Prague that it is supposed to be lucky to rub. I also photographed a statue of a lady in Munich who had one breast constantly touched, presumably for good luck.

I can't locate the photos now, but there is one statue on Charles Bridge in Prague that it is supposed to be lucky to rub. I also photographed a statue of a lady in Munich who had one breast constantly touched, presumably for good luck.

This the fella?

http://www.prague.net/gallery/st-john-of-nepomuk/pic3.php

The Munich lady is Juliet Capulet (of Romeo and Juliet fame), a copy of the one in Verona (see Gordon's post above).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...ationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=283064049

There's another copy, also in Munich (Shakespeare Platz) but don't know if she gets the same polished-mammaries treatment.

http://www.nordostkultur-muenchen.de/architektur/shakespeareplatz.htm

The Town Musicians of Bremen get rubbed too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_Musicians_of_Bremen

Every match day on my way to watch my beloved Leyton Orient play (and since it was erected a few years back) I always for luck, rub the boot of the statue of Laurie Cunningham. Laurie was the Orient’s finest player, and the first black player to play for England no less –he tragically died in a car crash, in Spain at the ripe old age of 33.:(

The statue was erected just outside the Leyton Orient’s south stand and is on a plinth, so I have to lift up my son who also rubs Laurie’s boot for luck. I can’t say that it’s ever done us any good though, as we lose most games, so perhaps I should stop rubbing the boot and see how we get on from there.
1571221794741.png

Saw this in Ayutthaya, Thailand a couple of weeks ago. People are trying to balance coins in recesses in the soles of Buddha's feet, presumably for luck. Very few managed it.
IMG-20191007-WA0028.jpg

There was also a more conventional wishing well at the top of the stupa.

Every match day on my way to watch my beloved Leyton Orient play (and since it was erected a few years back) I always for luck, rub the boot of the statue of Laurie Cunningham. Laurie was the Orient’s finest player, and the first black player to play for England no less –he tragically died in a car crash, in Spain at the ripe old age of 33.:(

The statue was erected just outside the Leyton Orient’s south stand and is on a plinth, so I have to lift up my son who also rubs Laurie’s boot for luck. I can’t say that it’s ever done us any good though, as we lose most games, so perhaps I should stop rubbing the boot and see how we get on from there.
View attachment 20558
It's not a need for luck you're expressing, it's respect and affection. You're rightly proud of Laurie. Keep it up!
In fact, give him a rub from me.

It's not a need for luck you're expressing, it's respect and affection. You're rightly proud of Laurie. Keep it up!
In fact, give him a rub from me.

Will do Scargy, and you’re right, even if the Orient got thumped 10-0 every week I’d still rub old Laurie’s boot.

I was lucky enough to be there for the unveiling and a few black players from the 1970’s attended, including Cyrille Regis (RIP) It was my pleasure to shake all of their hands and thank them for making English football the game it is today.

View attachment 20558
Did you know... that the sculptor of this statue and another, The Three Degrees (celebrating Brendon Batson, Laurie Cummingham and Cyrille Regis) at West Bromwich is Graham Ibbeson, who also created the dancing Eric Morecambe?

Back