• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Touching ghosts

tilly50

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Does anyone know of reports of someone actually touching a ghost? I don't mean brushing past or being knocked/pinched/hit by a poltergeist, but actually getting hold of a ghost. There are numerous reports of people feeling a presence but I am wondering if there are any that state that there was firm contact (gripping the ghost, not the ghost gripping the person).

If so what was the result?

I've heard of ghosts touching people, but never a person grabbing hold of a ghost. I'd imagine they'd vanish like a burst bubble if you did that.

in the Morton case, reported in Apparitions and Haunted Houses by Sir Ernest Bennett, as case number 51, Miss Morton writes that she tried to corner a ghost, but it disappeared. From my own, small, childhood experience, I would think that most people who see ghosts have a great disinclination to touch them.

No, I've never heard of anyone touching a ghost ... I rather gathered that was the whole idea: that they are non-corporeal.

Sogna, just wanted to say:
I would think that most people who see ghosts have a great disinclination to touch them.
I LOVE this line. It's great.

There have been so many reports of ghosts touching people throughout history right up to the present day ghost hunters on TV. People have claimed to have been pinched, slapped, scratched, gripped, etc. It all seems to be one way, they can touch us but we appear to be unable to touch them, how come?

I have not had any personal experiences that prompt me to ask this, except the impression of somebody sitting on my bed when I was a child. It was assumed by my family that this was a ghost, but he felt solid enough to my feet through the bedclothes.

I've heard of ghosts touching people, but never a person grabbing hold of a ghost. I'd imagine they'd vanish like a burst bubble if you did that.

When a ghost does touch someone does it feel ice cold? Best way to describe the sensation (ive had) is - an ice-cold ten pence coin being pressed onto your skin. You turn around and wonder what did this only to find nothing there.

Back