• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
:bump:

Wow, just stumbled on a mention of the tiles and (quite rightly) guessed there would be a thread here somewhere. I really love this type of mystery, will be reading up more online about them in the next few days, but does anyone have any updates, are new ones still being discovered, was it Morasco?
As to how the tiles are embedded, I have a theory, in the OP the poster writes that he first noticed the tile in 1996, after speaking to someone from the highways dept, he is told the intersection was last resurfaced in 1996, so to makes sense that the tile make would embed them when the tarmac was still fresh, it also appears that a lot of the tiles are at intersections, now most citys/towns roads are in a state of constant resurfacing or repair, and I imagine intersections are more heavily worn than most roads, and would need repairs more often, I bet anyone on here could find some fresh layed tarmac in their local town city without much trouble, so the tiles are about 4 ft from the curb, roughly where you would be whilst driving a car, if you stop at an intersection and pop your car door, drop the tile infront of your back wheel then drive off, the tile is now embedded in the road.

Last edited:
The mystery was apparently solved by someone who dug into it some years ago. I believe it was a reporter, who wrote a magazine article. I'll see if I can dig it up. It's an interesting case. The journalist tracked down a very likely suspect whose car was missing the passenger side front seat, and had a hole in the floorboard.

Many years ago, a section of highway that I drove often was resurfaced. Not long after, a lone asphalt shingle had apparently fallen off a truck and stuck to the fresh tarmac. It soon became part of the roadway, and over the course of a summer it seemed to melt into the surface, and was visible for some years, probably until the road was again resurfaced.

When posting the story, I decided that the phrase "working a story over" was sufficiently value-neutral. Yes, there's lots of noise on slashdot, but they often manage to uncover or remember related information - such as this story from two years ago linking the plates to Morasco, the links to geocached locations of tiles, or the fact that TechTV also recently took an interest.

Link is dead. See later post for info on the MIA webpage.
Here is the content of the MIA webpage, salvaged from the Wayback Machine.

CityBeat
volume 7, issue 37; Aug. 2-Aug. 8, 2001
https://web.archive.org/web/20030801081425/https://www.citybeat.com/2001-08-02/news.shtml

CityBeat-Illo.jpg

Will the dead rise on Jupiter? Could we stop them if we tried?

Out of This World

You might be standing on an interplanetary message

By John Stoehr

Weird things are happening at major intersections in downtown Cincinnati -- unnoticed by police or passers-by until it's too late.

Someone is planting bizarre messages on tiles embedded in the road surface. What the tiles are made of, who is placing them and how they get away with it -- all of these questions remain unanswered. What is known is this: We are not alone. The mysterious tiles have been spotted in roads throughout the Western Hemisphere.

If you go to Fifth and Walnut streets or Sixth and Walnut streets, you will see, flush with the pavement in multi-colored stenciling, two tiles that declare, "Toynbee Idea in Movie 2001. Resurrect Dead on Planet Jupiter." A third tile, at Main and Fourth streets, says, "Toynbee Idea in Kubrick's 2001. Resurrect Dead in Planet Jupiter."

What do English historian Arnold Toynbee and filmmaker Stanley Kubrick, creator of Dr. Strangelove and 2001: A Space Odyssey, have to do with resurrecting the dead on planet Jupiter? Who is behind this conundrum stuck in the macadam? And is it something from which a strong mayor can save us?

'Some weird, strange saying'
The red, white and blue Toynbee Tiles have appeared in Philadelphia, New York City, Baltimore and Washington D.C., each city having at least 25 embedded in intersections within their municipal boundaries.

It doesn't stop there. Similar tiles have been spotted in Cleveland, Boston, Pittsburgh, Atlantic City, Indianapolis, Atlanta and as far south as Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, and Santiago, Chile.

The tiles often include equally puzzling footnotes. One in Newark, N.J. commands the reader, "Submit. Obey." In Cleveland, one states, "Thanks. Goodbye." In New York, you'll find: "Murder every journalist, I beg you." The tile at Sixth and Walnut in Cincinnati has a footnote that's barely discernable: "You Must Make + Glue Tiles!! You!! As Media U.S.S.R."

Inevitably, the Internet is abuzz with speculation about the Toynbee Tiles -- their clandestine installation, their material substance, their global proliferation, the connection between Toynbee and Kubrick. Many seem interested, but no one knows with any certainty what they are.

Cincinnati officials are as clueless as everyone else. Dennis Maddock, downtown street inspector, has seen the tiles and even photographed them but is still scratching his head. Maddock surmised the tiles began popping up over a year ago but confessed to knowing very little else.

"I've seen them," Maddock said. "They say different weird things. I have no idea what they are."

Sgt. Emmett Gladden of the Safety Director's Office is baffled. Shown photos of the tiles, Gladden said, "That was the first time I'd ever seen one."

Sgt. David Turner, supervisor of police intelligence, wasn't much help in interpreting the hidden meaning of the tiles, but he said police are not worried.

"I saw the signs," Turner said. "I have no idea what they mean. As far as we're concerned, there's no meaning for us, so we're not going to do anything about them."

Do the signs pose any public hazard or threat?

"No," Turner said. "People write all kinds of things out there -- graffiti and that kind of thing. A lot of it's personal meaning, but we don't think it was any kind of threat. We'd look at it if there was an outright threat, but it's just some weird, strange saying."

Dave Berens, one of the city's civil engineering technicians, was equally in the dark.

"We have no idea who put them there or how long they have been there," Berens stated in an e-mail message.

Later he elaborated over the phone.

"I went down there and looked at them," Berens said. "I asked around and no one seemed to know anything about them. I talked to one of our engineers for the downtown area. He originally thought that they were something the Performing Arts Center had done."

Dave Rupe, supervisor of engineering, summed it up for many observers.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said.

Mayor Charlie Luken, a Democrat facing reelection, is playing the issue of the Toynbee Tiles straight down the middle. Asked, for example, if he thinks resurrecting the dead on Jupiter is a good idea, Luken declined to be interviewed.

City Councilman Pat DeWine, however, had some thoughts.

"I don't know much about your tiles," DeWine said. "My only thought is that I'm just happy someone is paving the streets around here."

Where does DeWine, a Republican, stand on the issue of raising the dead on Jupiter?

"Uh, well, it depends on the options," he said.

Councilman Jim Tarbell, a Charterite, was more straightforward.

"I think resurrecting the dead on planet Jupiter is an excellent idea," Tarbell said. "Considering everything else we're dealing with, why not? This is a welcome relief from what else is going on. We've developed 40 percent of the land mass in Warren County in the last 10 years. What's that tell you? We're running out of room. We can't do this anymore: The dead have got to be buried on Jupiter at the very least."

'You don't want to find the answer'
I first discovered one of these tiles when I moved to Cincinnati in 1998. Working in the Schmidt Building, I crossed Sixth and Walnut every day. At the time, I didn't think much of the tile, dismissing it as nothing more than typical street graffiti. It never occurred to me that the tile could be, as one Scientologist recently put it, "some graffiti from Mars."

A year later, I was researching Toynbee's writings when I came across a Web site devoted entirely to collecting and cataloging the whereabouts and condition of Toynbee Tiles around the world. Journalists in Washington, D.C., and Baltimore have investigated the enigmatic phenomena, but none has brought any light to the mystery. Rob Hiaasen, staff writer for The Baltimore Sun, was so frustrated he asked in print that anyone, anywhere, contact him with information about the tiles. But no one, to this date, has claimed responsibility.

Bill O'Neill has had a passion for the Toynbee Tiles ever since he was an undergraduate at Temple University in Philadelphia. In 1992, he built a Web site titled "What Is It?" The site catalogues information about the tiles. He soon learned he was hardly the only person obsessing about them.

"Before I knew it, other people who had done Internet searches for the kind of stuff that's on the signs found my site," O'Neill says. "They started sending me more submissions and the site grew from there."

O'Neill has received thousands of e-mail messages and pictures of the tiles. Many are simple notifications of a sighting. But once in a while O'Neill received information that could lead somewhere. The closest he got to solving the mystery was an anonymous e-mail about a tile in Chile with a Philadelphia address.

But O'Neill was unable to gird his loins enough to start knocking on doors.

"I was always afraid to go ahead and check it out," he said, "because it's one of those things where you've been searching so long, you don't want to find the answer. Some people have said they'd written the address and hadn't gotten a response back."

The address on the Chilean tile is legitimate. After making a few phone calls to the Philadelphia Recorder of Deeds Office, I learned the name of the property owner, Verna Severino, but was unable to contact her or the person living at the address.

So far O'Neill, who now lives in Atlanta, has had little luck unearthing key elements to solving the Toynbee Tile mystery.

"For as long as I've been doing this," he said, "no one has ever claimed to have done or know who has done it."

But O'Neill was closer than he thought. One of the e-mail messages he received in 1999 had a 1983 newspaper article titled "Theories: Wanna Run That By Me Again?" by Philadelphia Inquirer staff writer Clark DeLeon. The article mentions a man named James Morasco who'd been trying to contact media outlets around the city about his theories.

Morasco was reportedly a social worker who believed we could colonize Jupiter "by bringing all the people on Earth who had ever died back to life and then changing Jupiter's atmosphere to allow them to live." Morasco discovered these ideas while reading the works of Arnold Toynbee. He also believed Toynbee's ideas of resurrecting dead people's molecules were depicted in Stanley Kubrick's monumental film of regeneration and growth, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

In the Philadelphia telephone directory, only one James Morasco is listed in the entire city. I called his number, and an elderly woman answered the phone.

May I talk to Mr. Morasco?
"He can't talk," the woman said. "He has problems with his throat."
What kind of problems?
"He had his voice box removed," she said.
I see. How did he get sick?
"We don't know," she said.
It's something of a mystery?
"Right," she said.

A 'tantalizing detail'
Perhaps you are beginning to grasp the seriousness of it all. The only James Morasco listed in Philadelphia has been silenced -- right there in the City of Brotherly Love.

Another message O'Neill received in 1999 was from Nathan J. Mehl, who claimed to have met a man in Philadelphia embroiled in the idea of raising the dead on Earth and transporting them to Jupiter. He posted wheat-pasted hand bills, with a message similar to the tiles, at bus stops around Philadelphia, according to Mehl.

Mehl, who was 17 years old at the time, forgot the man's name.

"I do remember one tantalizing detail, though," Mehl wrote. "He made repeated reference to performing short-wave radio broadcasts on a regular basis."

Apparently acclaimed playwright David Mamet heard such a broadcast. In his 1985 collection of short plays and monologues, Goldberg Street, Mamet wrote a three-page skit, titled "4 A.M.," in which a radio talk show host talks to a man obsessing over Toynbee, 2001 and dead people.

Of course, those familiar with 2001 know Kubrick adapted Arthur C. Clarke's short story, "The Sentinel," to create his masterful film. What most don't know is Clarke was a contemporary of Toynbee and shared with the historian philosophies infused with Christian tenets of birth, life, death and resurrection.

Or something like that.

What does it all mean? We might never know.

Here's what we do know: Someone has somehow been able to embed at least three tiles in the asphalt of major intersections downtown, all of which convey a cryptic message about resurrecting the dead on Jupiter, a phenomenon putting Cincinnati on some kind of psychic plane with cities around the world.

And our mayor has nothing to say about it.

SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030801081425/https://www.citybeat.com/2001-08-02/news.shtml

Found this earlier today. I watched some of it. Don't think I've seen it.

I looked around, and found that there have been tiles in Rio, too. This Brazilian site on the subject quotes some dialogue from a David Mammet play which provides a connection between 2001, Toynbee, and Jupiter:
tiagoteixeira.com.br/toynbee/
Link is dead. See later post(s) for material salvaged from this MIA webpage / website.
This Brazilian site is long gone. Its material can be accessed via the Wayback Machine (see link below). Here is the text of the MIA website's homepage ...
Most content of this site is based on the Bill O´Neill site. There you can find more information regarding the Toynbee plaques in english.

Here we have the pictures of the plaques in Rio, taken by Tiago Teixeira.

Maybe in the future, we will be able to translate our content into english. ...

Thanks for your time.

NOTE: The "Bill O´Neill site" is the website cited in the opening post (#1) in this thread.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010828025343/http://www.tiagoteixeira.com.br/toynbee/

This Brazilian site is long gone. Its material can be accessed via the Wayback Machine (see link below). ...
Here is one of the photos and its caption from the MIA Brazilian website. There are 7 photos still accessible via the Wayback Machine's archive of the site. They are claimed to be photos of Toynbee tiles discovered in Rio.

f_rio_07.jpg

Um close da placa. O texto, adaptado tipicamente do inglês, perde um pouco do sentido, mas a mensagem é a mesma.
Foto: TiagoTeixeira, 25 de Abril de 2000

English translation of caption (Google Translate):
A close-up of the plate. The text, crudely adapted from English, is somewhat meaningless, but the message is the same.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010828025343/http://www.tiagoteixeira.com.br/toynbee/

The MIA Brazilian website's homepage included the following link:
Texto publicado no jornal Baltimore Sun, em 1994.

This link leads to a transcription of a 1994 article from the Baltimore Sun. Here is the article, as transcribed and presented on the Brazilian website.
Toynbee idea in movie 2001--Resurrect dead on planet Jupiter
An unsolved mystery reappears

By Rob Hiaasen

That does it. It's time to come out, whoever you are -- you who keeps leaving cryptic, taunting markers on our Baltimore intersections.

A new Toynbee Idea in Movie 2001 Resurrect Dead on Planet Jupiter street marker has appeared. You've seen the old ones -- heck, you walk over them every day. The white stenciled messages, clandestinely applied by some guerrilla artist, no doubt, have baffled the locals for years. No one
seems to know when they first appeared. And no one knows exactly what the message means.

It seems obvious they have something to do with Stanley Kubrick's classic movie, "2001: A Space Odyssey," and the teachings of the late British historian, Arnold Toynbee. In some of his writings, Toynbee implied some sort of religious regeneration. The movie -- starring HAL the computer and
that funky monolith -- implies something about regeneration on Jupiter.

Over the past several years, the Toynbee markers have turned up on the streets of Washington, Chicago, Boston, Providence, even Times Square. Many have crumbled into white specks, others have been paved over during street resurfacings.

Three years ago, The Sun's front page dedicated valuable space to the street marker story. The city's Public Works Department, the Maryland Institute, College of Art, and the Baltimore Film Forum were contacted and left stumped by the presence of these signs. We even called John Waters -- who
was good for a quote, but not for information. More than 100 people called the paper with their ideas on the message and unknown artist. "Some things are just best left alone," one reader wrote. So we did. The mystery was left unsolved.

Then, Calvert Street was re-surfaced and that seemed to be the end of Toynbee, Kubrick, et al. But just recently, a fresh Toynbee sign appeared at the intersection of Calvert and Redwood streets. Instead of the usual white lettering, this marker is cast boldly in blue and orange. And to further taunt us, there's additional scribbling:

You Must Make + Clue Tile!! You!! As Media U.S.S.R.

Anyone want to take another shot at this mystery?

The MIA Brazilian website also includes the following excerpt from a script(?). It allegedly comes from a David Mamet play in which he invokes a caller outlining a theory based on Clarke's 2001 and involving resurrection of the dead on Jupiter. This excerpt is supposedly taken from the Baltimore Sun in 1994.

Article
Toynbee x Kubrick x David Mammet
Baltimore Sun, 1994

Toynbee x Kubrick x David Mammet, por Taylor (enviado por Bernardo Carvalho)

The Toynbee/Kubrick plaque might be based off of a David Mammet play! One of the many short plays from Goldberg Street contains this excerpt:

Interviewer: Hello, you are on the air.

Caller: Hello, Greg, how are you?

Interviewer: I'm fine.

Caller: Good. Greg, it's a pleasure to talk with you ...

Interviewer: What's your problem?

Caller: Greg, we need your help to publicize your plan. We've been trying to get our organization together to raise money to be able to hire a public relations firm like Wells and Jacoby to publicize our organization (PAUSE.) Where are we going to GET the money...? I don't know...

Interviewer: To publicize you...

Caller: In the movie 2001, based on the writings of Arnold Toynbee, they speak of the plan...

Interviewer: Excuse me, excuse me, but the movie 2001 was based on the writings...

Caller: ...all human life is made of molecules...

Interviewer: ...based on the writings of Arthur C. Clarke...

Caller: All human ... no, Greg, if you examine ...

Interviewer: ...it was based on the writings of Arthur C. Clarke ...

Caller: Oh, Greg NO. We have the ...

Interviewer: Well, go on.

Caller: ... we have the writings.

Interviewer: Okay, go on.

Caller: Greg: in the writings of Arnold Toynbee he discusses a play whereby all human life could be easily reconstituted on the planet Jupiter.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010717175107/http://www.tiagoteixeira.com.br/toynbee/mammet_eng.htm

nimbus.temple.edu/~woneill/sidewalk.html
Link is dead. The MIA webpage / website can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010607205959/http://nimbus.temple.edu/~woneill/sidewalk.html
This is William / Bill O'Neill's site, which was originally hosted at: pobox.com/~woneill/sidewalk.html
The O'Neill site included a link to the following New York Times article profiling O'Neill, his website, and the mystery tiles.

April 25, 1999
NEW YORK ONLINE

An Asphalt Mystery Examined

By COREY KILGANNON

The Web site's title, "What Is It?," echoes what many people have wondered when they have spotted the red, white and blue plaques with cryptic messages -- like "Toynbee ideas in Kubrick's 2001 resurrect dead on planet Jupiter" -- emblazoned on Manhattan streets. ...

While the site doesn't provide an answer, it does offer a range of allusions and theories in the pursuit of one. And it reveals that the plaques, described as "public displays of paranoia," are not Manhattan's own mystery. They are also found in Philadelphia and Baltimore, and possibly other cities.

The site's creator, William J. O'Neill, said he began noticing them in Philadelphia while attending Temple University in 1995, and soon discovered that they seemed to originate in New York City. He began visiting Manhattan to document and photograph them.

Now a computer consultant in Atlanta, O'Neill said he has spotted the signs, which could be plastic melted onto the pavement or stenciled images made with the thick paint used for traffic lanes, in front of the White House and, recently, at rest stops on the New Jersey Turnpike.

While no one has ever called him to take credit for the signs, O'Neill said, he has received notice of sightings by e-mail from people in Atlanta, Albuquerque, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

"Someone said they saw one in Brazil," he said, "but I don't know if I believe that one."

WHAT YOU SEE A picture of a rectangular medallion, with the words, "What Is It?" above it, is followed by attempts to explain the messages of the plaques, with their references to Toynbee, Kubrick, 2001 and Jupiter.

As the site explains, the English historian Arnold Joseph Toynbee, who died in 1975, sought to explain the history of civilization in terms of great cultural groups rather than nationalities. "The Toynbee Convector" is a book by Ray Bradbury about time travel.

Stanley Kubrick's film "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a stark philosophical depiction of evolution and human and alien intelligence. Jupiter plays a role in "2010," a sequel to "2001."

A table lists the locations of 25 plaques in New York, mostly in midtown and downtown Manhattan, and includes details about some, and some photographs. (Three at 49th Street and Fifth Avenue bear the phrase, "Murder every journalist I beg you.")

LINKS One, offering research and hypotheses from O'Neill's friend, John Charles Taylor. Taylor says that it is tempting to think that a "lone nut" is behind the plaques.

But, he wonders, how does someone "that far off his rocker get to at least four different major cities and manage to place these plaques securely in the asphalt of the newly paved roads without getting noticed or killed?" He offers a psychological profile of the medallion maker: probably British; possibly lying low in Dover, England, as one plaque suggests; and possessing the financial and intellectual wherewithal to travel and install the signs.

WHAT YOU GET An attempt to explain a mystery.
https://web.archive.org/web/2006043...brary/tech/99/04/biztech/articles/25onli.html

I don't remember a bit in 2001 where dead people are resurrected.

I don't remember a bit in 2001 where dead people are resurrected.
According to the bits I have read regarding this, it has something to do with the end sequence and (apparently) is mentioned or associated with the sequel 2010.
My understanding is that the alleged motivation involves an interpretation of 2001 (and possibly 2010 and / or the books) under which the final scenes of the first film represented a transformation or resurrection of the sole surviving crew member Bowman (Keir Dullea's character) by which he survived his apparently certain death. Somehow this was generalized into a theme of Jupiter being a place where dead humans would be resurrected from their molecules, which would somehow migrate to Jupiter after their deaths.

In other words, the transformation / transcendence implicit in the film (and sometimes cited by Clarke thereafter as a sort of figurative "new heaven" for mankind) was re-interpreted as something more like traditional myths of an individual's afterlife.

Back