• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

musashi74

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I live Cincinnati Ohio, and we have a number of these so-called 'Toynbee Tiles' in the vicinity. Nobody knows who is doing them, and they are appearing all over the US and in certain other countries. They mysteriously appear overnight, placed into the pavement at certain street intersections.

Nobody has yet figured out what they are made of or what they mean, but they bear the inscription:

"TOYNBEE IDEAS IN MOVIE (or Kubrick's) 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER"

Here's a link to a site dealing with the tiles.

nimbus.temple.edu/~woneill/sidewalk.html
Link is dead. The MIA webpage / website can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010607205959/http://nimbus.temple.edu/~woneill/sidewalk.html

This is William / Bill O'Neill's site, which was originally hosted at: pobox.com/~woneill/sidewalk.html

It contains an introduction to the Toynbee tiles and a listing of known locations for the tiles. Unfortunately, the photos O'Neill posted to the site were not archived. Here are two excerpts with basic info about the mysterious plaques / tiles:

What Is It?

Toynbee ideas in Kubrick's 2001 resurrect dead on planet Jupiter
I've seen this plaque embedded in road intersections all over Philadelphia and NYC while others have reported seeing it in other states. ...
But what is it? What does it mean?

Variations Upon A Theme

There are actually several different versions of these plaques. One says "Toynbee ideas in Kubrick's 2001 resurrect dead on planet Jupiter" while the other says "Toynbee ideas in movie 2001 resurrect dead on planet Jupiter". These are the two most common types. Then there are variations such as colored borders- sometimes with text within it- and some that don't involve any of these themes and look like public displays of paranoia (see the intersection of E. 47th Street and 5th Avenue, for example).

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked around, and found that there have been tiles in Rio, too. This Brazilian site on the subject quotes some dialogue from a David Mammet play which provides a connection between 2001, Toynbee, and Jupiter:

tiagoteixeira.com.br/toynbee/
Link is dead. See later post(s) for material salvaged from this MIA webpage / website.

However, it does not explain the plaques themselves.

Posters too !!!

Are these anything like the 'Gouranga-be happy' posters that have been appearing, as if by magic, all over the UK ?

Moggadon

Those things are so cool. I'm gonna get a T-shirt with that on some day :)
X-COM:)

What is the belief of those people who always make you want to say "Gouranga" all the time? Do they really think it'll bring world peace or summat?

Me and a few mates had to a do some video vox pops for university, so we thought we'd pick the local Gouranga guy. We thought it'd be really funny to chase him down the street for a change. Unfortunately he was really cool, willing to help us, and gave really good answers. :( Ah well...

Slashdot is currently running a discussion on Toynbee Tiles (previous link currently suffering under the "Slashdot Effect" - try later or use a google cache), spurred by a story from the Kansas City Star. I note there was some discussion on the site a couple of years ago, but the slashdot crowd has a habit of working stories over like no other discussion group - thought it might be of interest here.

Link is dead. See later post for the content of the MIA webpage, salvaged from the Wayback Machine.

NB - This is my first post to FT forum, but I have been a reader and/or subscriber to FT for many years now.

Article text

Posted on Sat, Sep. 06, 2003
A SPACE ODDITY? Strange Kansas City marker part of world-wide mystery

By DOUG WORGUL

The Kansas City Star

A LIL' JAKE'S BARBECUE BEEF SANDWICH was calling my name. Loudly. Clearly. I had no choice but to heed the call. So there I was, walking north on Grand across 13th Street, with a pang in my gut and Jake's pink concrete pig in view.

Out of the corner of my eye I glimpsed something in the street. Graffiti painted on the pavement.

I stopped to read it and was almost flattened by a Deffenbaugh truck. I jumped up onto the curb and heaved a deep "whew," whereupon I caught a whiff of the sweet smoke emitting from Lil' Jake's smoker and was reminded of my original mission.

About a half-hour later, when I'd finished the aforementioned sandwich, I returned to the corner, waited for the light to turn and traffic to clear then stepped into the intersection to get a closer look at the graffiti. It said:

TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KubricK's `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPiTER.

Yeah, I know. Weird.

It gets weirder.

The message wasn't painted. It was some kind of tile, a bit larger than a license plate, that had actually been imbedded in the street. Each letter looked to have been hand carved and inlaid in a plastic or epoxy base. I tried to push my thumbnail into the tile. It was rock hard. Harder than the asphalt itself.

Probably a "street art" project by a grad student at the Art Institute, I thought as I started back down Grand.

It was 1996. A year of many unexplained phenomena. The Macarena. Tickle-Me-Elmo. Beavis and Butthead.

Since then I've walked right over the thing dozens of times and each time made a mental note to further investigate its origins. And each time promptly mislaid the mental note.

A couple months ago, however, on my way back from Jake's, I made an actual paper note and kept it clutched in my hand all the way back to my cube here at The Star where I "googled" the wording on the strange tile.

Bingo.

Up popped more than 30 Internet addresses referring to other such tiles found in other cities.

Turns out there have been more than 130 documented sightings of these "Toynbee tiles"-- as they're nicknamed on the Net -- in at least 20 cities around the United States (and two in South America!). In New York almost 50 tiles have been counted, in Philadelphia nearly 30. Twenty have been spotted in Baltimore, including four at one intersection. And there have been at least 16 documented sightings in Washington, D.C., -- one a block from the White House.

All the tiles say virtually the same thing. And they all look virtually the same, except some are made with colored letters and others only black letters.

The Internet accounts and stories from other newspapers indicate that the first tiles were discovered in the late 80s. Nobody has ever claimed to have witnessed any of the tiles being imbedded. And nobody has ever publicly claimed responsibility for making the tiles.

So, what are they?

Perhaps the urban equivalent of a crop circle. A mysterious sign appearing in the night. A cryptic message left behind by beings with a seemingly extraterrestrial agenda.

Or perhaps by a paranoid journalist-hating Nazi. In some cities, the basic tiles are sometimes accompanied by an adjacent tile that urges people to "Murder all journalists, I beg you!" And in Philadelphia, next to one of the regular tiles, was a long rant, also made up of individual hand-formed letters imbedded in a tile, that blamed "hellion Jews" (whatever they are) for a long list of personal problems that the tile maker seemed to be experiencing.

I called Kansas City's street department and its media relations officer Nancy Regan agreed to meet me at 13th and Grand to inspect the tile.

"You say you first saw this seven years ago?" she asked incredulously. She stared at the tile and shook her head. "I work just a few blocks away and I've never even noticed it."

She said she'd ask around the department and see if anyone knew anything about it then call me back.

She called the next day. "Nobody here knows what it is. And to the best of our knowledge you're the first to bring it to our attention." She laughed. "I even brought my boss to the corner to look at it. It's just the craziest thing."

Crazy is one word for it. Nuts and wacko also come to mind.

Let's examine the message and the medium of this little mystery.

The author appears to be urging pedestrians who encounter his tiles to consider the possibility that dead people might be, or should be, resurrected somehow on the planet Jupiter. Though, given that Jupiter is pretty much a giant ball of burning gas, being resurrected there seems a rather unpleasant proposition.

The tile maker attributes this dubious idea to Toynbee and Kubrick. The Toynbee in question is almost certainly Arnold Toynbee, the prominent 20th century British historian. And Kubrick would be Stanley Kubrick, the British filmmaker most famous for "Dr. Strangelove," "A Clockwork Orange," "The Shining," and "2001: A Space Odyssey."

Toynbee, who lived from 1889 to 1975, was best known for his theory that humanity's perception of its history shapes its future. This theory was turned on its head and used as the premise for a 1983 Ray Bradbury short story titled "The Toynbee Convector" in which a character by the name of Stiles travels 80 years into the future and returns with stories of mankind's marvelous achievements. Stiles' reports of a future free of war and disease prompts people to join forces to work together to attain this future and in 80 years they have succeeded. Stiles then reveals that his story was a lie. But the world he prophesied has nevertheless come to pass, validating a kind of corollary to Toynbee's theory, that humanity's perception of its future shapes its present.

Fundamental to Toynbee's view of history was his belief in the central role of religion. "Religion holds the solution to all problems of human relationship, whether they are between parents and children or nation and nation," he said. "Sooner or later, man has always had to decide whether he worships his own power or the power of God."

Jonathan Clark, a professor of history at the University of Kansas, says Toynbee's ideas fell out of favor for a time because of a reluctance among most contemporary historians to accept the premise that religion plays a critical role in the birth and demise of civilizations. When asked if Toynbee ever proposed that dead people might be resurrected on the planet Jupiter, Clark responded promptly (and without the slightest trace of humor). "Not to my knowledge," he said, in a clipped British accent.

Clark says that the work of recent scholars, specifically Samuel Huntington, has "rehabilitated" Toynbee. Rehabilitated, but not resurrected. At least not on the planet Jupiter.

Jupiter figures prominently in Stanley Kubrick's classic "2001: A Space Odyssey" and is even more important in its regrettable sequel "2010."

In the first film Jupiter is the destination of the ill-fated spaceship "Discovery" and its mission to determine the nature of the strange monoliths that seem to appear at the dawn of each of humankind's evolutionary leaps forward. While in orbit around the giant planet, astronaut Dave -- having successfully disabled HAL, the maliciously malfunctioning supercomputer -- experiences a cosmic rebirth. Rebirth, but not exactly resurrection.

I rented a copy of "2001" hoping to glean a clue as to the mysterious tile maker's intended meaning. Problem is I couldn't watch more than ten minutes of the thing at a time without falling asleep. It is without a doubt one of the most beautiful made and crushingly boring movies of all time.

Though Toynbee and Kubrick were both brilliant British visionaries whose lifetimes overlapped, my superficial research on the Internet reveals no obvious overlap in their bodies of work. Their ideas do not appear to have influenced each other in any significant way and they did not, as near as I can tell, join forces at any time to propose that when Earthlings die they be transported to Jupiter for the purposes of resurrection.

Time to consult the experts.

I'm standing at the corner of 13th and Grand with Kansas City detective Todd Butler and Jeff Martin, supervisor of street maintenance and repair for the city.

The "Toynbee tile" we're staring at isn't the only strange thing at this intersection. A few yards away, a group of men huddled in a bus stop shelter are passing around a marijuana cigarette. Detective Butler watches closely. Half a block away, a woman staggers slow-motion into the middle of 13th street and proceeds to pull down her pants. She screams something unintelligible to no one in particular, hikes her pants back up and returns to the sidewalk.

"Maybe the tile is emitting some kind of cosmic ray that effects people's thinking when they get close to it," Butler deadpans.

Butler and Martin are here to analyze the composition and content of the "Toynbee tile."

In some cities, the standard "Toynbee tile" is accompanied by smaller adjacent tiles that express sentiments such as:

Murder all journalists! I beg you!

Make \ glue tiles as the American media is working with the Soviet Union and its thousands of fronts in USA...

Submit. Obey.

Thanks. Goodbye.

The tile is located in the crosswalk used by pedestrians crossing 13th Street on the east side of Grand Boulevard. It's about nine feet from the north curb, and about four feet away from a big manhole cover. It's approximately 11 inches wide by about five inches tall.

"The first time I saw it I was in my car," says Martin. "And I thought it had to be made of thermal plastic, which is the material used to mark pedestrian crossings and for the yellow or white stripes in the middle of a road. But if, as you say, this has been here since 1996, then it can't be thermal plastic. That stuff doesn't last that long. In fact, the last time this street was re-surfaced was in 1996. So, it had to be stuck in here sometime after that."

He bends down and rubs his hand over the surface of the tile.

"When you look at it closely you can see that it's some kind of epoxy or super hard plastic that's actually inlaid in the asphalt itself. To do this would require a lot of prep. You'd have to heat the road surface. You'd have to have special equipment. An operation like this would take some time and if you wanted to avoid being seen while you were installing something like this it would require some planning. Whoever did this has fairly sophisticated know-how."

Detective Butler nods. "Maybe. But he's still psycho."

Butler is comparing photos of other tiles in other cities with Kansas City's tile.

"The lettering isn't identical in each tile, but clearly it was created by the same hand. So you can conclude that the tiles were not mass-produced by a machine," he says. "It looks like they were handmade, one at a time by a single individual.

"Obviously this person has the resources to travel to all these cities, even to South America, to put these things in the streets. It's probably a man, because the tiles are obviously installed at night since nobody seems to have witnessed them being put in. It's unlikely a woman would risk being alone at night in a downtown environment. Plus there may be heavy equipment involved.

"And he probably drives from wherever he lives to the cities where he puts these markers, because flying with whatever equipment he uses would likely be a problem."

The detective studies a photo of the long manifesto the tile maker imbedded in a Philadelphia intersection. (See sidebar.) Along with "hellion Jews," the mystery man clearly believes that most of America's media have conspired to make his life miserable. Specifically, he blames Knight-Ridder for joining forces with the Philly Mafia to run him out of town. (In the interest of full disclosure it should be noted here that Knight-Ridder owns The Kansas City Star.)

The screed provides Butler with clues.

"This guy refers to a `movement' but subsequently only refers to himself," Butler notes. "This tells me that he wishes there was a group of people with him, but that in all probability he's acting alone. He probably lives alone.

"He doesn't really seem to have any kind of agenda. He talks about being harassed but he doesn't say why. He doesn't claim that people are out to get him for his political views, for example. There doesn't even seem to be a connection between his `Toynbee idea' and his claims about the media hounding him."

The detective concludes that because the tile maker has never threatened violence in any of his street plaques and has never stepped forward to claim responsibility for them he may not actually be paranoid in the clinical sense.

"This dude seems satisfied to make these things and just let them speak for themselves," Butler says.

I tell the detective that my daughter's pet theory about the tiles is that they're sites where invading spacecraft, perhaps from Jupiter, will land. This prompts him to offer a theory of his own.

"Maybe they're coming to Earth for our food," Butler speculates. "Maybe the tiles in Philadelphia are located near Philly steak joints. And in Chicago they're near pizza places and in New York near delis. I mean, here we are, a half block away from one of the best barbecue places in town. So maybe when the aliens land they won't eat us. They'll eat our lunch."

"Mystery may be the point."

So says Nancy Baym, an associate professor of communication studies at the University of Kansas. Baym speculates that perhaps the primary reason the tile maker has not revealed himself is because the mystery he's created will then be solved.

"The interest he's generated on the Internet and in the media may be his only real objective," she says. "The message on the tiles is so obscure that the intent may not have been to communicate content. The medium and the placement of the messages may be more important than what they say.

"The Internet loves these kinds of things. They feed its appetite for conspiracy and speculation."

Much of the best information about the tiles available on the Internet is there because Bill O'Neill put it there. In 1992, O'Neill, then an undergrad student at Temple University in Philadelphia, started noticing the tiles imbedded in the streets. He began asking around in an effort to learn more about them, specifically who made them and why. He learned nothing. Nobody knew any more than he did. This led him to create a Web site (http://www.toynbee.net) devoted to the tiles and an exploration of their meaning. O'Neill's site has since become the primary repository of anecdotes and theories about the tiles, including a database listing more than 130 locations where tiles have been sighted. The listing also features several photographs of tiles submitted by visitors to the site.

"It's been interesting," O'Neill says. "People will find these things and become curious about them and when they search the Web they find our site and then they start reporting their findings to us. We've become the clearinghouse for tile info."

But O'Neill says he's no closer to knowing who's making the tiles and what they mean.

"I still have no clue. Whoever it is, he seems to still be out there. We've had reports of some of the tiles being paved over, but then some of them reappear."

In March 1983, Philadelphia Inquirer reporter Clark DeLeon wrote a short article about a Philadelphia social worker named James Morasco who was trying to get local newspapers to publish his theories about colonizing Jupiter with dead people from Earth. Not surprisingly, the local papers didn't pay much attention to Mr. Morasco's ideas. DeLeon's story mentions Morasco's belief that Arnold Toynbee and Stanley Kubrick have figured how to reconstitute dead people on the fiery planet. According to DeLeon, Morasco even founded an organization dedicated to this notion.

This tantalizing bit of information is the strongest clue as to the possible identity of the tile maker, even though DeLeon does not reference the tiles in his article.

Last month I called the only James Morasco listed in the Philadelphia telephone book. A woman answered the phone. When I asked to speak to James Morasco she was evasive.

"He's not here. May I ask who's calling?"

"Well, ma'am, I'm a writer with The Kansas City Star. I'm doing a story about some strange tiles that have been found imbedded in streets all around the country..."

"My husband doesn't know anything about that. Besides he died in March. But he didn't know anything about it."

I apologized and asked how old Mr. Morasco was when he died. He was 88.

If this James Morasco had been our tile maker he would have been in his 70s when most of the tiles were made and inlaid.

I'm not buying it. It's got to be someone else.

But if the late James Morasco was the tile maker he went to his grave with his secret and is now presumably on the planet Jupiter getting a tan.

I RETURN TO LIL' JAKE'S TO CONTEMPLATE THE MYSTERY over a beef sandwich. The joint has been renamed. It's now called Danny Edwards' Famous Kansas City Barbecue. I ask Danny if he's ever seen the tile.

"Every time I go to the mailbox," he says. "And I have no idea what it means."

I ask him if he thinks maybe it's a beacon or a landing site for invading spaceships from Jupiter. `Maybe they're coming for some barbecue," I suggest.

"Could be," Edwards shrugs. "But we're closed on Sundays."
ACCESSIBLE ONLY VIA THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/2004040...ing/special_packages/starmagazine/6693767.htm

Original FT thread
Link is obsolete. The linked thread was merged into this one.

So far the slashdotters are either scoffing or making jokes about it, no productive discussion (but then again, I read at -1 by choice :D )!

Philo T said:
So far the slashdotters are either scoffing or making jokes about it, no productive discussion (but then again, I read at -1 by choice :D )!

When posting the story, I decided that the phrase "working a story over" was sufficiently value-neutral. Yes, there's lots of noise on slashdot, but they often manage to uncover or remember related information - such as this story from two years ago linking the plates to Morasco, the links to geocached locations of tiles, or the fact that TechTV also recently took an interest.

Link is dead. See later post for info on the MIA webpage.

MAN!! this is weird!! you ever seen one??

A SPACE ODDITY?? kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/living/special_packages/starmagazine/6693767.htm anyone have any Ideas? :confused:

Link is dead. See earlier post for the text of this MIA article, salvaged from the Wayback Machine.

Never seen one as they don't seemed to have crossed the Atlantic but they've cropped up before ...

Its definitely an interesting article. The writer seems dead set on discovering a single hand behind all the tiles but doesn't consider the possibility of 'copy cats'. As soon as something gets a cult status (especially on the internet) its very possible that later tiles could be created by imitators.

Stanley Kubrick was American. He just lived in Britain. He left America after his experiences making Sparticus.

Cujo

2006 and Toynbee tiles on...

Update
January 2, 2006

2006: a street oddity
Tiles with mysterious message found on Indy crosswalks and across country

By Kevin O'Neal
[email protected].
January 2, 2006

Thousands of people walk over it every day in Indianapolis, but few probably notice what has become a mystery stretching across the country and all the way to Brazil in South America.

Someone at some point placed what are known as "Toynbee tiles" in at least two crosswalks Downtown; one remains. The tiles include a phrase linked to film director Stanley Kubrick, whose "2001: A Space Odyssey" still has a loyal following decades after its release.

The tile reads: "Toynbee ideas in Kubrick's 2001 resurrect dead on planet Jupiter." Embedded in the road, the tiles are found in many cities in the Northeast and Midwest.

"They look like they've been there for quite a while," said Dave Smith, a software developer who works Downtown. " I first thought that they were some sort of urban art project."

One of the Downtown Indianapolis tiles remains, at Maryland and Meridian streets. The other tile, one block south at Georgia and Meridian streets, apparently disappeared during the summer. That tile was noted on the "What Is It?" Web site, www .toynbee.net, as early as 2003.

The tiles have spawned a number of Web sites. Some seem to come close to explaining the tiles' significance, while others make claims that contradict those explanations.

The tiles refer to British historian Arnold Toynbee. While Toynbee wrote at length about the rise and fall of civilizations, there's not much in his writings about the resurrection of the dead.

The "2001" refers to the 1968 sci-fi epic directed by Kubrick; its climactic sequence begins in Jupiter's orbit, and fans of the film have spent the past 37 years arguing about its meaning: resurrection or not.

After the discovery of a monolith on the moon, a spaceship is sent to Jupiter to investigate a radio signal from a monolith there. The soft-spoken HAL 9000 super-computer kills most of the spaceship's crew; surviving astronaut Dave Bowman tries to reach the monolith orbiting Jupiter and is pulled into a light show whose meaning is still debated by viewers.

The mystery of the film's ending matches the mystery of the tiles, which apparently first appeared in Philadelphia streets around 1983.
"As far as I know, no one has ever seen anyone lay one down," said Justin Duerr, a Philadelphia house painter and musician who has been following the tiles' history and origin on his Web site, www.resurrectdead.com.

Using a complicated series of reasons, theories on the tiles have ranged from a protest against certain media companies to anti-Semitism. The resurrection angle is especially perplexing.

One noted sci-fi series, Philip Jose Farmer's "Riverworld," does resurrect the dead, but the resurrection takes place along a massive river, not on Jupiter. The sci-fi film "Plan 9 from Outer Space" used resurrection in its plot but is not considered a particularly important cinematic accomplishment, having been listed in the "Golden Turkey Awards" book as the worst movie of all time.

There have been suggestions by tile fans that a short play by writer/director David Mamet may have a closer link to the tiles. Duerr said Mamet's play is about a radio talk show caller who is obsessed with Toynbee and Kubrick.

Exactly how long the tiles have been in Indianapolis is part of the mystery. A spokeswoman for the city's Department of Public Works, for example, was unaware the tiles even existed until told about them by a reporter.

The remaining tile Downtown has survived despite the city's notoriously unpredictable weather. It appears to have been made from linoleum and was somehow pressed onto the asphalt.

The tile seems to be in fairly good shape, although it has been deformed by traffic and is dingy and dirty following a major December snowstorm.

Having read that article "2006: a street oddity" I have a few ideas and theories.

I think that the Toynbee thing refers to the rise of human civilisation from monkeys in "2001: A Space Odyssey" and the fall of human civilisation when the computer 'Hal' kills the crew and brings man down (metaphorically).

Although I think that this interpretation on behalf of the Toynbee paving slabs author is a bit simple, and anyway it was not necessarily just Toynbee that talked of the rise and fall of human civilisations.

I think that the ressurection of the dead on Jupiter refers to the movie doesn't it? The interpretation of the flashing lights from the monolith refers to the Toynbee paving slab author's view that the lights / monolith / alien civlilisation that put the monoliths around Sol are resurrecting the crew of the ship or that they are responsible for our transition from monkeys to humans and the transition from humans into the spiritual realm - that we sublime like the aliens did.

That's my interpretation of this whole thing anyway.

Odd Street Notes Point Toward Jupiter, Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey'

By Jeff Douglas
Associated Press Writer
posted: 7 May 2006
6:30 p.m. ET

ST. LOUIS (AP) – Unless you're hunting for them, the weird markers embedded in downtown streets in St. Louis don't draw much attention.

For those who do notice, the words make little sense.

The shoe box-sized marker read: “TOyNBEE IDEA IN KUbricK's 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPiTER.''

The plaques, numbering more than 100 and found on dozens of city streets across the United States and in three South American countries, present a riddle that may never be solved: What in the world – or on Jupiter, for that matter – does English historian Arnold J. Toynbee have to do with filmmaker Stanley Kubrick and with raising the dead?

St. Louis has three of the “Toynbee plaques,'' or “tiles,'' as they are often called. Kansas City has one.

Some have called the markers the urban equivalent of crop circles. Others say they're just quirky underground graffiti, some done by copycats.

No one has ever been caught or taken credit for this caper that dates back to at least the 1980s.

A Web site, http://www.toynbee.net, one of the best sources of information on the tiles, is dedicated to mapping and discussing the phenomenon.

Chris Clark went to the site after she stumbled across the plaques in the 1990s in St. Louis.

“The pleasure of these plaques is not so much in the solution and 'whodunit,''' Clark said. “It's hearing the wild theories and stories that surround them.''

Some have tried to make the connection to Kubrick and his sci-fi classic “2001: A Space Odyssey.'' Internet searches return a load of theories, but the connection with the late filmmaker is vague, at best.

“The meaning of the message on the tiles is pretty open-ended,'' said Justin Duerr, a Toynbee tile fanatic. “You can draw a lot of connections between the two, depending on how far out you want to stretch it.''

Another variation reads: “TOyNBEE IDEA IN MOViE 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPiTER.'' Sometimes, there are other cryptic messages as well.

Duerr lives in Philadelphia, the place where many people believe the strange practice of stamping the message on city streets began. A plaque in Santiago, Chile, lists an “A. Toynbee'' and a Philadelphia address, but the address – while real – provided no solution.

In 1983, an article in The Philadelphia Inquirer told of a man named James Morasco who said Toynbee's theory of bringing dead molecules back to life on Jupiter appeared in Kubrick's 1968 film. Many have argued that no such reference exists, but Jupiter is part of the movie.

Toynbee was best known for his writings on the rise and fall of civilizations.

In the late 1990s, Duerr became obsessed with the idea and the plaques that appear to be melted into the streets like crayons on a hot day.

Last year he developed the Web site www.resurrectdead.com to document the tiles, and he says he plans to make a movie on the subject.

Duerr said even after Morasco's death in 2003, new plaques appeared in Philadelphia and elsewhere.

At one time, Duerr said, the tiles could be found every other block. Many have since been paved over or worn down to nothing by traffic.

Many of the plaques look identical, as if made with a cookie cutter. Others change the wording slightly and take on a colorful style of their own. Some include political messages.

One Web site reported a Toynbee tile in Pittsburgh that offered instructions on how to make the plaques using several layers of linoleum and glue. Another tile reads, “You must make and glue tiles!''

That was enough to persuade Duerr to make a tile of his own and slap it to a street in Philadelphia. He said his version looks almost like the others.

His actions present the most obvious explanation: Other people were intrigued enough by their encounter with the tiles to make their own in various cities.

Duerr said there's even a name for such behavior: A meme, pronounced “meem,'' meaning a cultural action that is transmitted and repeated over and over.

“I don't believe there's a lone gunman,'' Duerr said. “I like to look at it as art that exists for a reason other than being in an art gallery.''

www.space.com/entertainment/ap_060507_t ... piter.html

Very interesting thread, I had avoided because I thought it was an appreciation of Polly Toynbee who I believe works/worked on rad 4, a relative I wonder ? An aging wealthy mentally unwell guy or a copy cat group effort, a mate who read the article said he'd like to make one and park it in the UK, so that's also a possibility. Still I'm glad I took a look at the thread. :)

Mysterious Plaques In St. Louis Raise Bizarre Theories

created: 5/10/2006 10:17:21 PM
updated: 5/10/2006 10:21:16 PM

They've been spotted around the world, and right here in St. Louis. They are mysterious markers, embedded in city streets. What do they mean and how did they get there?

Like street signs and stoplights, you've probably passed them dozens of times downtown. Still their message remains a mystery. Passerby Brian Yount jokes, "Maybe it's a message from space. The aliens are trying to contact us."

Slightly bigger than a license plate, they are plaques embedded in the crosswalks. This one reads: "Toynbee idea in Kubrick's 2001. Resurrect dead on planet Jupiter."

In St. Louis, the mysterious markers sit in several intersections: Market and 8th, Market and 7th, and Olive and 6th. Graphic artist Mark Plattner discovered one of them. He says, "I didn't realize until the other day that there were more in St. Louis. I thought mine was the only sighting."

There are numerous websites devoted to deciphering the plaques. They're referred to as "Toynbee tiles" because of their text.

One internet theory is that they were created by a Philadelphia social worker named James Morasco. He believed historian Arnold Toynbee and filmmaker Stanley Kubrick had figured out how to colonize Jupiter with dead people from earth.

The problem with this theory is that Morasco died in 2003 and the plaques keep popping up.

Plattner has his own theory. He thinks someone is perpetuating the project. He says, "I think it's a guerilla art project. I think somebody's just going out, being weird, and enjoying being the mystery artist and the subject of hot debate and conspiracy theories."

We asked art historian Jeffrey Hughes of Webster University about guerilla art, which he says would be akin to grafitti or street performances. Hughes says, "It carries its message out. It confronts the public, but it's still somewhat cryptic. The artist knows what they're doing, but we don't."

There are 130 known plaques, most in the U.S., some in South America. The prevailing theory is that they're made of linoleum, asphalt crack filling compound and tar paper, embedded in the pavement over time.

Mark Plattner finds it fascinating. He says, "Somebody put a piece of art that's going to last many years in public without getting permits, without any kind of permission. They just came in at night, stuck it down and disappeared."

The plaques were first sighted in the early 1980s. And most are in New York and Philadelphia. The ones in St. Louis seem to have been around for at least five years. City officials were not aware of their exisitence.

www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=96644

une 01, 2006 at 10:40 PM

Mystery street signs deciphered

[There are stranger hobbies....maybe]

A Philadelphia house painter may have the answers to the mysterious 'Toynbee tiles', which carry a strange message referencing British historian Arnold J. Toynbee and Stanley Kubrick's cult movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Over 150 linoleum tiles have been found mysteriously embedded in street asphalt across the world over the past 23 years, carrying a message which has left most who have seen them confused. The message is basically the same on all tiles, although they vary a little in presentation:

Toynbee idea in movie 2001Resurrect dead on planet Jupiter. You must make + glue tiles! You!!!!

Now, one of the researchers studying the strange tiles believes he has solved the mystery. Justin Duerr, a 29-year-old house painter living in the Philadelphia area, says he knows who created the tiles. Furthermore, he says that even though the messages seem nonsensical, they do carry a real message."

I can say that the person that did it was very sincere about the message, and it definitely is not nonsense," says Duerr. "Was it hard to solve [the mystery]? Definitely. I have to say, at least in this case, truth is stranger than fiction, and it's not a letdown."

The tiles were first sighted in Philadelphia in 1983, and new ones were discovered regularly in cities from Washington, D.C. to Rio de Janeiro until 2002. Despite rumors that they are the work of numerous members of a secret society, Duerr believes the tiles are in fact the work of just one man, except for tiles found over the past four years which he says are the work of a 'copycat tiler'.

So what is the real message of the tiles? Duerr isn't letting on just yet, with his theory explored in an upcoming documentary titled Resurrect Dead. But he says that it isn't a clear-cut answer.

"People wonder what it means and how it got there," he says. "It is a wild thing that sends your mind spinning if you let it go. There's also this kind of pop culture thing with it. ... It's like high-brow sci-fi."

Duerr does confirm though that the two main themes - historian Toynbee and Kubrick's 2001 - are in fact linked. "The thrust of this whole thing is all the dead who ever lived on the planet Earth can be resurrected on the planet Jupiter by bringing molecules back together," he says. "The tiles are an attempt to promote this idea."

"I'm skeptical of the concept of the dead being physically resurrected on the planet Jupiter," he says. "But if you take it as a metaphor, Kubrick was definitely trying to say something at the end of that movie about spiritual regeneration, and Arnold Toynbee talks about that a lot. There is a connection, if only one in loose metaphor."

The tiles have become widely known, with former Talking Heads vocalist David Byrne mentioning them in a 1997 Public Art Review article.

"I'm more interested in people who write elaborate messages - visionary graffiti...there's a guy who makes these messages that he feels strongly about and imbeds them in concrete and puts them in the sidewalk," Byrne said in the article. "I don't know how the hell he does it, but they're there. It does have to do with congruencies that he sees between Arnold Toynbee's history and the movie '2001.' That kind of graffiti really touches me and fascinates me."

Duerr says he's pretty sure that he knows who the tiler is. "We've never talked to the person who did them," he says. "We've had one-way communication, but haven't heard anything back from the person." The tiler's name, according to Duerr, is James Morasco, and he died in 2003. To continue the mystery though, Morasco's widow denies that he was involved with the mysterious street markers.

www.sploid.com/news/2006/06/mysterious_stre.php

Sorry to drag up such an old posting but I only just heard about the Toynbee Tiles at the weekend and find the subject fascinating. Does anyone know of the tiles ever made their way to the UK? I'd love to see one for real if they did.

Just watched a really nice documentary on it: Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles

It's as much about the people searching for the tiler as it is about the mystery itself. It's from 2011 and on Netflix right now.

skinny said:
Just found the documentary on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9JOh7Z2e_Q

Nice find. I thought it was going to be "Ancient Aliens" cheesy at first because of the static overlays. Then that stopped and it was this really compassionate look at the whole thing - with some really good background information thrown in.

I am reminded that Philadelphia is the home of the Secret Cinema, which presents strange film shows in some unexpected locations.

Plan 9 From Outer Space was screened in a graveyard, where viewers were expected to make themselves comfortable on the gravestones.

Worth a Look at the Programmes, even if Philadelphia is not within reach!

The tiles seem to fit in with this world of marginal and weird arts activity.

Back