• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Trailers From Hell

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Here's something for the film buffs:
http://www.trailersfromhell.com

Basically, a load of trailers from classic and not-so-classic movies which you have the option of playing with a commentary from a professional film person, like Joe Dante (Gremlins), Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead), Rick Baker (makeup genius, American Werewolf in London), Eli Roth (Hostel), and many more.

I don't know why they're "from hell" because some of them are quite good, but this is fun. Three new ones are uploaded every week. Good for a browse.

I thought this was going to be about mobile homes...

Coat, please!

Hey, they have a podcast now! Gave the latest one a listen, with comedian/director Bobcat Goldthwait:
https://trailersfromhell.com/podcast/bobcat-goldthwait/

The subject is supposed to be Disney live action comedies of the 1970s, but they ramble around on various film-related topics with some hilarious anecdotes. The story of Johnny Weissmuller and Cheeta had me laughing out loud! Give it a listen.

They've interviewed Uwe Boll!
https://trailersfromhell.com/podcast/uwe-boll/

I didn't realise he's still making movies, but he is - political action flicks, apparently. Here he gives a rundown of his favourite films, not bad choices, and is surprisingly articulate. I have no problem with his politics (there's a lot of that), but his films, eh, let's say they don't present them very well, from what I've seen.

Anyway, best bit is right at the end where he challenges Alex Jones to a boxing match, a very Uwe Boll thing to do.

CarousHELL - trailer ... this looks like cheap fun

Latest from the TFH podcast - a William Friedkin interview!
William Friedkin: nutter

When I say I think this is the first time they've had to do a disclaimer that the guest's views are not necessarily the website's views it should give you some idea of how nuts it is. Highlights include him describing Exorcist II: The Heretic as "a fucking disgrace", calling Bob Woodward a liar (plus putting John Belushi on speakerphone so he could insult Nick Nolte), and hearing the hosts deflate when he says we should give Trump a chance. But it's all gold.

...(plus putting John Belushi on speakerphone so he could insult Nick Nolte), and hearing the hosts deflate when he says we should give Trump a chance. But it's all gold.
So this is a recent interview - referencing Trump as President - but they get John Belushi on speakerphone? This IS Fortean!

So this is a recent interview - referencing Trump as President - but they get John Belushi on speakerphone? This IS Fortean!

Er, no, Mr Belushi was present in anecdote form only. According to Friedkin, he was the last person Belushi spoke to on the phone before he died. Information he got from Bob Woodward. Who's a liar. Try working that out.

Latest from the TFH podcast - a William Friedkin interview!
William Friedkin: nutter

When I say I think this is the first time they've had to do a disclaimer that the guest's views are not necessarily the website's views it should give you some idea of how nuts it is. Highlights include him describing Exorcist II: The Heretic as "a fucking disgrace", calling Bob Woodward a liar (plus putting John Belushi on speakerphone so he could insult Nick Nolte), and hearing the hosts deflate when he says we should give Trump a chance. But it's all gold.

Thanks for that - very entertaining. He certainly doesn't pull his punches.

Just been listening to this week's TFH podcast, with Panos Cosmatos, director of Nic Cage fave Mandy:
Panos Cosmatos podcast

He's very giggly, but I like the way he thinks. He picks his favourite futuristic fascist state movies, you know, like Soylent Green, THX 1138, Escape from New York, Starship Troopers, that sort of thing. Great description of Paul Verhoeven as a director who spent his career saying "fuck you!" to the audience, too.

TFH excel themselves with a Richard Stanley interview:
Richard Stanley podcast

He's on to publicise The Color Out of Space, which is apparently doing splendid business in North America, but more broadly he discusses H.P. Lovecraft in the movies. Even better, he goes off on Fortean tangents, including how he got a demon of his Ouija board its own IMDB page. It's a great listen.

TFH excel themselves with a Richard Stanley interview:
Richard Stanley podcast

He's on to publicise The Color Out of Space, which is apparently doing splendid business in North America, but more broadly he discusses H.P. Lovecraft in the movies. Even better, he goes off on Fortean tangents, including how he got a demon of his Ouija board its own IMDB page. It's a great listen.
We need the link to that IMDB page

We do, but I'll be darned if I can find it. The demon apparently worked on his segment (The Mother of Toads) of this film:
The Theatre Bizarre

I hope IMDB didn't get wind of it and took the page down.

I keep meaning to recommend more of these, they're often excellent, but today's Tuppence Middleton interview was particularly good:
Tuppence podcast

Her choices of most memorable scenes include a recommendation for Der Samurai, which I've never heard anyone else mention before. It's a crazy werewolf movie. It also affords Tuppence the chance to say the phrase "A fully erect penis", if that floats your boat.

After those extreme cinema choices, you'll never guess her final one in a million years! Having seen her recently in odd thriller Disappearance at Clifton Hill and been very impressed, this make me respect her even more.

Oh, and the Edgar Wright podcast of a few weeks ago was terrific too.

I keep meaning to recommend more of these, they're often excellent, but today's Tuppence Middleton interview was particularly good:
Tuppence podcast

Her choices of most memorable scenes include a recommendation for Der Samurai, which I've never heard anyone else mention before. It's a crazy werewolf movie. It also affords Tuppence the chance to say the phrase "A fully erect penis", if that floats your boat.
Thanks for this. I was at the showing of Der Samurai with the dance-off. Had no idea it was her until I heard this... but I do remember her going "Oh God!" when she realised what she had to do, and then doing some very memorable trance-like moves with her eyes to the ceiling - a deserved winner!

Last edited:
Wow, that's an amazing coincidence! I'm guessing she wasn't as famous then as she is now? She seems like a top lady.

Wow, that's an amazing coincidence! I'm guessing she wasn't as famous then as she is now? She seems like a top lady.
Amazon says the Der Samurai DVD came out in April 2015, so it would have been around then as the director was signing copies. I'd seen her in at least three movies by then (and one of them a Danny Boyle film) and still didn't recognise her!

She did say on the podcast that she doesn't usually get recognised, except sometimes for Sense 8. Guess I'll have to watch that now.

Ha, look what you started :) I contacted my friends at The Duke Mitchell Film Club (who hosted the Samurai event) and they were surprised as me as to who the winner was. One of them Tweeted a link to the Podcast, tagging in Ms Middleton, and then they found a photo of her dancing on the night... and she replied "Oh my god! You captured it!"

I thought this was going to be about mobile homes...

Coat, please!

This looks like a likely contender for the thread title....

IMG_7307.jpg

Ha, look what you started :) I contacted my friends at The Duke Mitchell Film Club (who hosted the Samurai event) and they were surprised as me as to who the winner was. One of them Tweeted a link to the Podcast, tagging in Ms Middleton, and then they found a photo of her dancing on the night... and she replied "Oh my god! You captured it!"

Well, this just keeps getting better! But why does she have bare feet on?

She should have been in Guardians of the Galaxy, really.

Trailers from Hell get some guests together to recommend some Halloween movies, part 1:
Link

The good news is Tuppence Middleton is back, and recommends three very fine choices. Joe Dante asks her where she finds these movies and she can't really answer! Lake Mungo did get a nice Blu-ray release this year, mind you.

The wonderful Barbara Crampton was interviewed on the podcast this week:
Link

She's everything you'd want her to be, this is an excellent chat. A late Christmas present for Re-Animator fans (and fans of her other movies). Interesting she said when she turned 36-37 the phone stopped ringing. Fortunately she was rediscovered for a late career renaissance!

Just seen the trailer for Moonfall. Am I correct in my thinking that the movie plays with its tongue firmly in its cheek?

massive Movies That Made Me Fan, partly cuz I’m in Philly and both hosts have Phillly roots and i love old hollywood trivia not pr

massive Movies That Made Me Fan, partly cuz I’m in Philly and both hosts have Phillly roots and i love old hollywood trivia not pr

Yeah, they seem to mention Philly at every opportunity, almost every guest has a connection to there! The best episodes are full of anecdotes, they usually make intelligent choices for guests.

Yeah, they seem to mention Philly at every opportunity, almost every guest has a connection to there! The best episodes are full of anecdotes, they usually make intelligent choices for guests.
So true. It may be an angle to get some guests. One they should try on David Lynch. FWIW the movie theater Lee Daniel’s grandpa was a mgr of is still a movie theater in west philly. I am quite sure Adam McKay ripped my ticket at the artsy Ritz theater where he worked.

Back