• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Translocating Cat

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
As people may or may not know I'm working over Xmas and I'm working nights.

I have one night off and rather than try and switch my body-clock to normal I carried on my routine so I'm awake during the night - this means I have to be ninja-quiet and my wife shuts our bedroom door. Our home is a bungalow.

It's about 0200 in the morning. So I'm making my way in the darkness to the kitchen and passing our shut bedroom when I make out the outline of Juna, our cat, outside the bedroom meowing to be let in. She has a very distinctive meow as is her shape. I open the bedroom door super-quietly and slowly as to not disturb the wife and Juna, damp from the rain, slips past my leg into the room, (chilly wet kitty), I shut the door and head to the kitchen to put some toast on.

3 or so minutes later, I go back past the bedroom and Juna is again at the door wanting to be let in. I'm amazed as I hadn't heard my wife get up to let her out again. I actually go in and apologize and search the room. The wife is oblivious to what's going on having been asleep. Our other cats are all accounted for around the house and very sleepy-looking and dry. Juna is the only wet cat.

So how did Juna escape the shut room? It was definitely her. The bedroom door was shut. There is no way she could have got out again. Even if she changed her mind when I was letting her in I would have felt her plump wet shape move back out of the room.

Juna and I once had a Vardoger experience and we both noticed it and thought my wife was home when she wasn't. With Vardoger though you don't normally see the person/animal though.

Last edited:
I can only imagine that the cat almost went into the room, and you shut the door before it actually did, without noticing somehow....perhaps you were distracted for that moment.

I open the bedroom door super-quietly and slowly as to not disturb the wife and Juna, damp from the rain, slips past my leg into the room, (chilly wet kitty), I shut the door and head to the kitchen to put some toast on.

3 or so minutes later, I go back past the bedroom and Juna is again at the door wanting to be let in.
The machines changed something

It never occurred to me to question this, but it's very common for me to look around, see that the cat is sitting on the living room rug, and close the door to the porch, which is pretty cold this time of year and is only opened because the cat insists that all rooms be accessible, and a few minutes later hear outraged comments from the porch where the cat has discovered that the door is now closed with her on the outside. I just assumed I was being inattentive. I will start keeping score.

It never occurred to me to question this, but it's very common for me to look around, see that the cat is sitting on the living room rug, and close the door to the porch, which is pretty cold this time of year and is only opened because the cat insists that all rooms be accessible, and a few minutes later hear outraged comments from the porch where the cat has discovered that the door is now closed with her on the outside. I just assumed I was being inattentive. I will start keeping score.
If cats are indeed capable of teleportation/translocation/bilocation, surely this would not happen at all? Unless... cats can do it, but not at will. It's more by accident than design?

If cats are indeed capable of teleportation/translocation/bilocation, surely this would not happen at all? Unless... cats can do it, but not at will. It's more by accident than design?
Given the practice of cats to insist that this door be open right now, I don't think it's at will. Or it's at will only if the servant is not available.

I had the same experience recently and posted about it. Let cat in through back door (no cat flap), lock door, no way of getting back out. Go to bed to find her missing from the place she normally is at night. Found her still in the back yard, giving me black looks. I've come to the conclusion that what I thought was her coming in was her shadow as she stalked about in the yard. Either that or this teleporting thing is spreading fast.

Given the practice of cats to insist that this door be open right now, I don't think it's at will. Or it's at will only if the servant is not available.
Son's cat has a cat flap in the rear door of his house, but cat will insist on sitting by the front door to be let out that way. Timed him once and he sat there for 2 hours until son gave him and opened the door. Thing is he's not lazy, roams far and wide and fights any other cat he sees. I suspect he only uses the flap when it's urgent at night.

I got a new kitten just two months ago. I had forgotten how true the thing about teleporting is. They can fool you and appear where you wouldn't expect them at any time. And if they don't it's just because they didn't feel like it at the time for some mysterious reason. Tricky little pests they are.

Like the UFO phenomenon, the teleporting cats have been here a long time...:cool:
Witness this old woodcut of a TC that has teleported out of a cat UFO in order to collect a bird in a terrestrial tree:

1609177787595.jpeg

Behind the scenes, dog owners are soberly concerned about the incursions of these space cats, and their human hosts..

Last edited:
I had the same experience recently and posted about it. Let cat in through back door (no cat flap), lock door, no way of getting back out. Go to bed to find her missing from the place she normally is at night. Found her still in the back yard, giving me black looks. I've come to the conclusion that what I thought was her coming in was her shadow as she stalked about in the yard. Either that or this teleporting thing is spreading fast.
or something else came in

I know my terrier has managed to get herself shut in bedrooms by accident and the only way I've known is that she's usually attached to me. If she isn't in any room I am in, trying to climb on my lap, she's managed to get herself in behind a closed door. I put it down to her size. She's right behind me as I go into a bedroom, when I leave I don't notice she's even there and close the door with her still there. She then goes totally silent, no howls or whines or anything, until I have to go searching for her.

Why is it that whenever someone posts a thing anywhere about a 'missing cat' they always suggest "please search your garages and sheds"?
Do cats often rematerialize in such places and find that their 'Telepusstation' has become somehow foiled by the sudden close proximity of an old lawn-mower, the wheel from a Mondeo and/or several cardboard boxes of stuff ready for the boot sale???

Why is it that whenever someone posts a thing anywhere about a 'missing cat' they always suggest "please search your garages and sheds"?
Do cats often rematerialize in such places and find that their 'Telepusstation' has become somehow foiled by the sudden close proximity of an old lawn-mower, the wheel from a Mondeo and/or several cardboard boxes of stuff ready for the boot sale???

Maybe for some cats, the teleport only works for the inward trip, and for others it's the outward one? So, if you've got a cat that's prone to materialising inside, you would ask people to search their sheds and garages. If it's an outward bound traveller, you'd ask people to keep an eye on their gardens and local streets.

I know my terrier has managed to get herself shut in bedrooms by accident and the only way I've known is that she's usually attached to me. If she isn't in any room I am in, trying to climb on my lap, she's managed to get herself in behind a closed door. I put it down to her size. She's right behind me as I go into a bedroom, when I leave I don't notice she's even there and close the door with her still there. She then goes totally silent, no howls or whines or anything, until I have to go searching for her.

Our Dolly (Bedlington Terrier) does exactly the same thing. The back bedroom door closes to on its own. If she gets in she can't get out she won't make a sound. She will just sit there until you find her.

It's because when cats get lost they often go into survival mode and find a place to hide. Garages and sheds feel safe. They're basically in shock, so they don't respond to their people calling for them. You could be three feet away calling and rattling kibble, but if you don't see them, they just stay hidden.

Back