• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Transplant Patient Sees Own Heart On Display At Museum

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Yiu take my heart away.

Transplant patient sees own heart go on display at museum​

• Published
      30 minutes ago
Jennifer's Sutton's heart

IMAGE SOURCE, TOM EVANS Image caption, Jennifer Sutton's heart is on display at the Hunterian Museum in London
By Toby Wadey
BBC News

A woman has visited her own heart at a museum 16 years after it was removed during life-saving transplant surgery.

Jennifer Sutton, from Ringwood in Hampshire, said it was "incredibly surreal" to see the organ as an exhibit at London's Hunterian Museum. The 38-year-old said she hoped it would help promote organ donation, describing it as "the greatest gift possible".
She told the BBC she now led a busy, active life and plans to "keep myself going for as long as possible".

Ms Sutton was a university student when she realised she was struggling with moderate exercise like walking up hills.

She was quickly diagnosed with restrictive cardiomyopathy - a condition that restricts the heart's ability to pump blood around the body - and was told she would die without receiving a transplant.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-65633312

I've heard of the families of donors tracking down recipients and becoming friends, and recipients taking on characteristics of their donors' personalities, but this is a new strand of transplant strangeness. :nods:

Have to say, in Ms Sutton's place I'd be giving that heart a piece of my mind. ;)

There's a photo somewhere of a woman listening to her late son's donated heart beating healthily in the body of the recipient.
Must have been emotional for all concerned.

Don't we have threads on organ transplants? Can remember reading about patients taking on the characteristics of their donors.
Also, someone unfortunately received a kidney with undetected cancer.

Back