• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Trees Burning Internally Long After Lightning Strikes Them

AnonyJ

Captainess Sensible
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire
Some excellent footage of a tree burning from inside, the whole length of the trunk, in the footage in the article.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/10/fire-spews-from-tree-in-maine-after-being-hit-by-lightning/

Firefighters in Maine responding to a blaze reported in Wales on Wednesday were shocked to discover a large tree with flames emanating from the length of its trunk after an apparent lightning strike.

An incredible 15-second clip posted by the Wales Fire Department shows the entire cavity of the tree on fire after a bolt of lightning is believed to have “traveled up into the trunk,” department officials said.

“Well that’s the coolest thing I’ve seen in a while,” one reply read. “Glad everyone is OK.”

But another commenter said the fiery tree looked straight out of “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” while another claimed it was proof that the “apocalypse” is indeed coming.

tree-fire-65

Attachments

• tree-fire-65.jpg
    tree-fire-65.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 13
Fascinating isn't it? This sort of this happens all to frequently here.
Just 18 months ago, my wife and I were staying in a town in Victoria called Hepburn Springs, when a tree hit by lightning 4-5 days earlier decided burst into flames after burning internally, causing a bushfire. It resulted in us and the town having to be evacuated.

Fascinating isn't it? This sort of this happens all to frequently here.
Just 18 months ago, my wife and I were staying in a town in Victoria called Hepburn Springs, when a tree hit by lightning 4-5 days earlier decided burst into flames after burning internally, causing a bushfire. It resulted in us and the town having to be evacuated.

I didn't have the time to post a pic this morning as I was rushing out the door as I was typing, but here's the fire approx 400-500 meters away coming down the hillside towards us. You can see one of the water water bombing choppers in the image. There were 3 other aircraft and around 50 ground crew attempting to contain it. The tree that cause it was just over the ridge on the other side of the tree line.

hepburn.jpg

so.... Exodus 3? :)

We were packed and gone in 30 minutes. The fire ultimately was contained, but what you can't see or feel was the strong wind and the 39 degree temperature that. Dangerous conditions. We left the area completely and drove to Melbourne. The experts didn't need two extra tourists getting in the way. Always better to be safer than sorry.

We were packed and gone in 30 minutes. The fire ultimately was contained, but what you can't see or feel was the strong wind and the 39 degree temperature that. Dangerous conditions. We left the area completely and drove to Melbourne. The experts didn't need two extra tourists getting in the way. Always better to be safer than sorry.
Are you okay?

BurningTree.jpg
Here's an eerie sight ... This tree at a Kingsland, Texas, golf course was struck by lightning. A day later it was still burning internally.
Tree hit by lightning Wednesday still glowing with heat the day after

A tree still glowed with heat Thursday, a day after a bolt of lightning struck it at a Kingsland golf course.

Viewer Ronna Wilson sent us photos of the tree at Legends Golf Course that was smoldering from the strike a day after it was hit. ...
FULL STORY (With Additional Photos): https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hil...nesday-still-glowing-with-heat-the-day-after/

A tree on an Ohio farm was hit by lightning and burned from the inside out, causing problems for firefighters.

BurningTree-OH-2207.jpg

Dramatic photos show tree burning from the inside out

When firefighters from the Ridgeville Township Volunteer Firefighter Department arrived on the scene to extinguish a burning tree Tuesday morning, they were met with a particularly challenging job.

Lightning from some early morning storms had struck and ignited a tree near a home in Ridgeville, Ohio ... But firefighters came across a unique site when they arrived. Rather than finding a tree engulfed in flames, they instead saw a tree burning from the inside out. ...

"Lightning can do some crazy things and we had a tough time getting to every hot spot in this tree trunk," the department posted on Facebook along with the photos. "Big thanks to Moyer's Tree Service for coming out this morning to help get this tree cut down for us and the homeowner so we could fully extinguish the fire." ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/07/08/burning-tree/4461657282657/

Back