• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Trees / Plants Growing Inside You

ProfessorF

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
5 cm. fir tree removed from patient’s lung
13 Apr, 11:35 PM

A five-centimeter fir tree has been found in the lung of a man who complained he had a strong pain in his chest and was coughing blood.

The 28-year-old patient, Artyom Sidorkin, came to a hospital in the city of Izhevsk in Central Russia last week, Komsomolskaya Pravda daily reports.

Doctors x-rayed his chest and found a tumor in one of the lungs. Suspecting cancer, they made a decision to perform biopsy, but when they cut the tissue, they were amazed to see green needles in the cut.

“I blinked three times, and thought I was seeing things. Then I called the assistant to have a look,” says Vladimir Kamashev, doctor at the Udmurtian Cancer Center.

The five-centimeter branch was removed from the patient’s body.

“They told me my coughing blood was not caused by any disease,” Sidorkin says.

“It was the needles poking the capillaries. It really hurt a lot. But I never felt like I had an alien object inside of me.”

It is obvious that a five-centimeter branch is too large to be inhaled or swallowed, doctors say. They suggest that the patient might have inhaled a small bud, which then started to grow inside his body.

Meanwhile, the piece of lung with the little fir tree has been preserved for further study.

Source
Link (and Mosnews site) are dead. This news story (quoted in full above) can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20210202031805/http://www.mosnews.com/weird/2009/04/13/firtree/

See later post for the photo which accompanied this news story.

Last edited by a moderator:
How bizzare.

Surely the human lung doesn't provide the correct environment for a 'bud' to grow?

Where's the sunlight?

Yes, it's such a strange environment. Surely it's the darkest of darkness in there.

All those times when I was young I thought swallowing an apple seed (which I later discovered has cyanide in :shock: ) a tree might grow inside me. I guess it's not as far from the truth as I thought.

Wasn't there a story back in the 1970s or 80s about a man whose false teeth got a tomato pip caught in them and grew a plant up into his brain? Maybe it wasn't an urban myth after all, and at least it would get sunlight every time he opened his mouth.

Seeking to verify my favourite old tale of the Virginny Creeper, I was dismayed to find that Google pointed me back to this site and two stories contributed by me!

All I can say is that it was on the Internet once and was among a set of doctors' lurid stories. Maybe their term is "florid," appropriate enough in the circumstances! :)

My mum used to tell me that too. Another one was if you swallowed cherry stones or pips they would get stuck in your appendix and you would have to have it taken out. I can remember accidentally swallowing the odd one and being convinced I could feel a twinge for a day or so:chuckle:
I remember reading a report of some man who'd ingested an apple pip and it had actually started growing in one of his lungs so it had to be surgically removed. It could be 'fake news' of course although the article did include an x ray of his/a lung with a small sapling looking growth.

Source
Link (and Mosnews site) are dead. This news story (quoted in full above) can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20210202031805/http://www.mosnews.com/weird/2009/04/13/firtree/

See later post for the photo which accompanied this news story.
Here's the photo that accompanied the original Mosnews article about Artyom Sidorkin.

FirTreeInLung-RU-2009.jpg

I remember reading a report of some man who'd ingested an apple pip and it had actually started growing in one of his lungs so it had to be surgically removed. It could be 'fake news' of course although the article did include an x ray of his/a lung with a small sapling looking growth.

I haven't been able to find such a story involving an apple seed / pip. The X-ray you recall may have been this one of Artyom Sidorkin's lung. He's the Russian man mentioned earlier in this thread.

Sidorkin-Lung-XRay.jpg
SOURCE: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...man-thought-tumour--FIR-TREE-inside-lung.html

That's a fir "Yes I Know" lump of lung they hacked out.

:omr::chain:

A sprouted pea was discovered inside a Massachusetts man's lung in 2010.
US Man Discovers He Has Pea Plant Growing In His Lung
Written by Catharine Paddock, Ph.D. on August 12, 2010

Ron Sveden, a retired teacher from Brewster, Massachusetts in the US was astonished to discover that what he thought was a tumor growing in his lung was actually a plant that had sprouted from an inhaled pea.

75-year old Sveden said he was told the pea seed had split and sprouted in his lung. It was about half an inch long (about 1.25 cm) ...

Sveden had been short of breath for several months with emphysema, one of a group of diseases called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD, when he took a turn for the worse a few months ago in May.

He said he was coughing a lot and feeling listless, so his wife Nancy called 911 and he was rushed to hospital where doctors took X-rays and found that his left lung had collapsed and showing a grainy spot on X-ray.

There followed two more weeks of tests, and Sveden had prepared himself for a diagnosis of lung cancer, but all the tests were negative for cancer. Then one doctor discovered he had a plant growing in his lung ...

The doctors told him he must have eaten a pea that “went down the wrong way”, and the moist and warm conditions in the lung were just right for it to sprout and grow.

Sveden said he had not felt anything growing in his chest, only that he was coughing a lot.

He underwent surgery to remove the pea, and is now recovering at home. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/197623

Here's a video about Ron Sveden's pea-in-lung story ...

Oh I have never heard that bit about the potato holding up a prolapsed uterus, ouch! That sounds painful!! Can that really be true?
But when I was a child, I recall a girl in our neighborhood had some type of 'plant' growing in her lung area, and was moving up her neck. She had to have it removed through the neck, and was fine. Had forgotten about that, until you posted this!

I dimly recall my sister having a friend at school who got a tomato seed trapped in her rear tooth. It sprouted, so the dentist removed it and filled the tooth.

Back