• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Triangular UFO Sightings

There's a detailed summary of the, 'Belgian UFO wave' on Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_UFO_wave

I now understand what the hoax photo relates to.

It was allegedly taken on 15 June, 1990:

Screenshot_20200228_150831_compress77.jpg

However, the most celebrated photograph, was apparently taken on 14 April, 1990 in Petit-Rechain.

Screenshot_20200228_151421.jpg

This has inevitably resulted in some confusion.

More on this later - need to revise some of the evidence.

One would appear to have perhaps been remiss.

Revisiting my related archive material, came across some I simply had forgotten about.

Back in the day, I obtained permission from the National UFO Reporting Center (NUFORC), to extract from their database, any reports which seemed to potentially be connected re, 'Triangular UFOs'.

The stated intention was to analyse them and determine any corroborative evidence, for publication.

Whilst that never materialised, I still have all those reports on file.

Predominantly dating from the late 1990s, there are quite a few of them...

Around 200, it looks like.

An untapped, 'treasure trove' of data..

Had a browse through a few of them and yea... same old, same old...

Given that we are talking about reports from some 20 years ago, it's truly perplexing.

Will, obviously, now have to redress this in some way.

Meantime, here's some examples of what's contained therein.

National UFO Reporting Centre

Occurred: 11/18/1975
Reported: 7/17/1997

On Saturday evening just after dark on November 18, 1995 an arrowhead-shaped ufo was spotted to the east approx. 100 yrds. from Davis Ridge Road hoovering just above tree top level, shinning a beam downward behind the neighbors home. It was motionless and totally silent. It had a light at each corner and the beam came from the center. It was approx. 40' x 25'. After I got out it started moving west at about 5 mph. We followed until it descended behind a ridge out of sight about a half mile away. The neighbors had cattle out back. -Elder Hale / FIGJA Administrator I also work as the founder and administrator of Range Guide Net Works, a satellite and high altitude survey and mapping oriented organization that provides information about new technology for discovering natural resources and minerals, surveying, guides, and related issues.

I'll take any test to prove the validity of my observation. My family is highly respected in the community as honest and truthful. On one Saturday evening just after dark The black, arrowhead-shaped ufo was hoovering silently as it casted a cone-shaped beam into the neighbors back yard. We couldn't see what it was shinning on as it was behind the crest of the high-ground behind the house where the cattle were kept.

I got out of the car which was stopped in the middle of the road and looked over the roof at the ufo in astonishment. It was completely silent. It had a light at each corner underneath and the beam came from the bottom center of the craft.

Apparently, we were spotted too, and the ufo turned the beam off. Then it proceed at a low speed (approx. 5 mph) to the west. We were observing the ufo eastward from Davis Ridge Road at first. It came almost directly over us. It was about 80' off of the ground. It continued west and we turned the car around and followed. The road ran north and south though, and by the time we were heading west coming off the ridge we saw it descend below a ridge to the west of us.

We saw it no more. The whole affair lasted about 15 minutes. Everyone in the car saw it. We all had gotten out to see it before we jumped back in to pursue it. I got the impression that the occupants of the craft couldn't care less if we saw it that night, as it seemed to be in no hurry for the most part.

National UFO Reporting Center

Occurred: 6/5/1993
Reported: 4/3/1997

Huge triangular shaped object. Slow speed and low altitude. Passed directley over my position. No sound except wind rushing past. NE direction and never swerved, swayed, turned or changed speed. Light shown on ground, briefly.

While coming home from working the 4-12 shift as a Police Officer, I noticed an "airplane" flying in the direction in which I was traveling. After driving a few miles, I noticed that the "airplane" was still on it's course. It should have been far away by that time. I was curious, but soon forgot about it. As I was turning onto the final rode that leads to my housing plan, I noticed that the "airplane" was still there.The Plan where I lived was on the highest point in the area and as I got to the Plan, my visibility was practically unlimited except for some trees.

I could see the "airplane"better at this point and I suspected that it was a helicopter because of the slow speed. The "helicopter" displayed a search type light at the ground and I thought it was a medical helicopter looking for a landing zone. I've seen helicopters do this in my capacity as a Police Officer, and I was worried that someone might have been badly injured in my neighborhood.

While thinking these thoughts, the "helicopter" turned off the search light and continued in a straight line heading directly toward my housing plan.I hurried my vehicle to a point where I figured the "helicopter" would pass over, and I turned off my head lights. Then I shut off my engine and got out of the vehicle to get a better look at the "helicopter".

When I got out of the vehicle and looked up in the sky, I noticed that I was not looking at a helicopter, airplane, blimp or anything I could recognize. I was looking at a triagular shaped craft with a light at each point, smaller lights were dotted underneath as this was my point of reference, and no strobe lights like a commercial aircraft would have.

The object made no sound, although it seemed to me that I could hear wind rushing past. Faintly, albeit. The altitude was very low, a few hundred feet or less, and the speed was radically slow. The object was huge.the night was crystal clear and warm, and I saw it but can't believe what I saw. It has taken me this long to report it. I told this story to Mike Frizzell of the Enigma Project and he told me to write to you.

There's a detailed summary of the, 'Belgian UFO wave' on Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_UFO_wave

I now understand what the hoax photo relates to.

It was allegedly taken on 15 June, 1990:

View attachment 23699

However, the most celebrated photograph, was apparently taken on 14 April, 1990 in Petit-Rechain.

View attachment 23701

This has inevitably resulted in some confusion.

More on this later - need to revise some of the evidence.
I think the top photo is purported to be real, while the bottom photo was a hoax.

National UFO Reporting Center

Occurred: 1/31/1999
Reported: 1/31/1999

I WAS DRIVING TO MY HOUSE WITH TWO OF MY FRIENDS AT 22:02 WHEN ALL THE SUDDEN I NOTICED THIS TRIANGULAR CRAFT HOVERING ABOUT 50 FEET OFF THE GROUND DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF US ABOUT A MILE OR SO AWAY, I TURNED AROUND TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM IT BUT IT JUST HOVERED OVER US AND FOLLOWED US.

I WAS GETTING REALLY SCARED OF THIS THING,THEN MY FRIEND SAYS TO ME MAN LETS GET OUT OF HERE I SEE TWO MORE SHIPS LIKE IT TO THE SIDE OF US. I STARTED TO ACCELARATE FASTER BUT THEY WERE STILL THERE I HIT 140MPH,AND THEN MY CAR JUST LOSES ALL POWER AND QUITS RUNNING THE ONLY THING THAT WAS STILL ON IN THE CAR WAS THE RADIO BUT I DIDNT HEAR MUSIC I HEARD ALOT OF INTERFERENCE.

WE JUST SAT IN THE CAR SCARED NOT KNOWING WHAT WE SHOULD DO.THEY HOVERED OVER US FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES OR SO AND THEN SOON AS THEY LEFT MY CAR STARTED ITSELF BACK UP ALL BY ITSELF.

IT WAS A VERY SCARRY INCEDENT MY FREIND WHOS HOUSE WE JUST LEFT WAS ABOUT A MILE OR SO AWAY FROM WHERE THIS TOOK PLACE AND HE JUST SAID THAT HE SEEN SOMTHING REALLY ODD HAPPENING AND THEN HE SAW THE SHIPS TO.

It might be an issue with file size compression - does this work?: ...

No. The image that gets loaded into your post is sized at 1080 × 1544 pixels with a resolution of 72 ppi.

Are you using a newer Mac with a Retina display? The high-resolution Retina display uses a denser resolution, and this causes all sorts of mismatches between how image files appear on-screen and how they appear on a site to which you upload them.

I think the top photo is purported to be real, while the bottom photo was a hoax.
You are of course correct and I have posted the images in their reverse order.

This suggestion that source of the Petit-Rechain photograph was anonymous, is not my recollection.

Unless further confused, I seem to remember a published article, where the claimed photographer explained circumstances under which it was taken.

It might have been in UFO Magazine and presently looking for same.

Maybe it's the other photograph I'm thinking of.

Will confirm either way, shortly.

rAe you using a newer Mac with a Retina display?
This is simply a screenshot of the document, from my mobile. It was then compressed using LitPhoto.

I use this technique frequently and have never known any issues. It looks perfectly fine on my mobile - puzzled by this.

What about the other documents posted as images? They were all screenshots, using exactly the same procedure.

However, it is possible to copy the text from my original and paste into ColorNote. Thus:

Source: Mutual UFO Network
Date: 07 January 1996

Hi Rus, << where were you when you saw it?>> I was in southern Arizona near the Mexican border. In the foothills of the Hauchuca mountains. <<It had a large blinking light in the center just like the Belgian UFO.>> The one I saw didn't have the light in the middle. Just the one on each corner. It went out of sight behind the mountains. But for almost a minute, I watched it hover, "jump", hover, "jump" etc. I say "jump" because it wasn't a smooth motion. It was almost like it was hopping. Not any motion that I had seen before, nor have I seen it since. It caught my attention because I thought it should fall out of the sky doing that. Regards, Theresa

Edge or MSPaint(which is how I made the shrunken file)
I wonder if this may be a factor.

The original document was a straightforward text file.

However, when this and other text files were backed up onto my Google drive, they were somehow converted into a graphic image, although retaining the .txt file extension.

When I open one of those Gdrive text files, it initially looks like this - seemingly formatted fine:

Screenshot_20200229_213914_com.google.android.apps.docs_compress77.jpg

Then, instantaneously, it turns into this, losing the formatting:

Screenshot_20200229_214005_com.google.android.apps.docs_compress26.jpg

Both have been compressed for uploading and respective file sizes are:

61k 1080x2340
303k 1080x2340

This is a comparative text file from the ColorNote app and 364k 1080x2340:

Screenshot_20200229_214742_com.socialnmobile.dictapps.notepad.color.note_compress76.jpg

All are screenshots and none of the three have been cropped, hence the same resolution.

What happens when you view all three as forum attachments - any one, or all of them, causing an issue?

Obviously, don't wish to spend too much time with this here and if still a problem, will take it to an appropriate help forum.

It shall be resolved. :)

I wonder if this may be a factor. ...

The 2nd and 3rd attachments are displaying as "huge" / magnified images.

The 5,000 Year Old Sword screenshot is ending up as an image @ 1080 × 2340 pixels with 72 ppi resolution.

You need to chop those screenshots' sizes by at least 50%.

This may not work to illustrate the issue (to Comfortably Numb, whose mobile device may be re-sizing things on the display end), but ...

Here's a screen shot excerpt of the 3rd attachment above.

CN-SwordTxt-A.jpg

I wonder if this may be a factor.
The original document was a straightforward text file.
However, when this and other text files were backed up onto my Google drive, they were somehow converted into a graphic image, although retaining the .txt file extension. ...

I have no idea why a simple text file was converted into a large image.

Go by the image pixel-size, not how it looks on your mobile device's screen.

If you have access to some sort of image editing app, you could simply down-size the image before uploading it.

I have no idea why a simple text file was converted into a large image.
I wonder if the following is an explanation.

Also perfect opportunity to test the upload of a text screenshot, just taken.

It's been compressed as usual - does this appear OK?

Screenshot_20200229_232317_compress24.jpg

... It's been compressed as usual - does this appear OK?

Nope - still unreasonably "huge."

I'm no help on dealing with Google Drive, but I'm pretty sure having your image(s) converted to Google Drive's proprietary formats (like Docs format) is a part of the problem.

Last edited:
This suggestion that source of the Petit-Rechain photograph was anonymous, is not my recollection.

Unless further confused, I seem to remember a published article, where the claimed photographer explained circumstances under which it was taken.

It might have been in UFO Magazine and presently looking for same.

Maybe it's the other photograph I'm thinking of.
Eventually located the image I recalled.

I have this archived as 'eupen.jpg' and can't remember seeing it online before.

Other than that, I have no further background information at present and am trying to ascertain same.

I presume this is a mock-up of a claimed sighting?

IMG_20200317_154326_resize_41.jpg

Back