• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Triangular UFO Sightings

Could be, I have no reason to believe it was an extra terrestrial craft. The point you seemed to miss was that at no point did I take a picture or alert others to see it, which was addressing your post.

It could be the impulse to record it in your memory is stronger than your impulse to record on an electronic device. I wonder if that would still be the case for many now?

Well, I've tried taking pictures of things and events that interest me, on occasion; they usually come out too fuzzy to be useful.
So you need a certain amount of skill as well as a ready camera.

It could be the impulse to record it in your memory is stronger than your impulse to record on an electronic device. I wonder if that would still be the case for many now?
My experience with playing videogames is like that. Oh that was cool! Oh wait it's too late to record it.... So it's not even limited to physical photography.

Have you found any reports with good corroborative evidence? It does seem strange that these huge constructions can't be photographed.
I know... Re 'triangular UFOs', there is one video I have spent hours looking for and can't yet relocate.

A couple... or maybe 3... years ago, I was searching online for updates re a then enormous hurricane approaching the US.

I came across this fascinating web site, which covers a vast range of earth/sky phenomena:

https://youtube.com/c/MrMBB333

I browsed some other videos which featured photographic/video uploads of strange weather and at the end of one, there was a video sent by someone in England.

It was seemingly family footage of visiting a castle, or similar and as the camera films through a tunnel/archway, when coming to the end of same, it captures two objects in the sky.

Both were, from my recollection, triangular shaped with lights on each corner and moving slowly, close together.

This is the one I want to see again.

What's the problem? It's bookmarked on my previous mobile, which one day shortly afterwards refused to charge and couldn't be repaired.

Because it took so long for that 'beyond repair' becoming definitive, I lost track and suppose decided I could easily find this clip again.

Unfortunately, 2 or possibly 3 years have elapsed and the web site now has a sizable number of potential videos online.

So... if anyone has the time and might possibly please be able to help out here...

Datewise, it was a random discovery when, I'm sure, checking on updates re a hurricane and the footage was at the end - not a big deal, more like, 'and here's an interesting video from England'.

I have come across another couple of accounts I had the opportunity to document back in 1994 - although they date from much earlier - and which have since languished on a floppy disk.

As always, for information and the two testimonies are a synopsis from correspondence, with permission to publish.

Although evidently not 'in the near future'.

The text formatting is indicative of their age - these are original copies!

[Start]
In the early 60's while living in central Texas, I was out in my folks back yard one evening. The sun had already set and it was a perfectly clear night. In this area of Texas you have a nearly horizon to horizon clear view. Now I was only about 10 at the time but I can remember it as clearly as if it happened yesterday. Out of the south-east an object moved across the sky towards my location very fast and dead stopped what I would guess about 5 miles away at about 2 miles up. It then moves closer to my location, very fast and dead stopped.

This time it was maybe a mile away so looked to be at about 45deg from the horizon. I could see that it was clearly a triangular shape.

Then I noticed that there was another
craft following the first, mimicking every move. The frist now moved to
the east about 3 or 4 miles and stopped again and the second moved to the location near me. I noticed then that while they were at rest they seemed to look more blue and while moving they were more white. The first thenbtook off at another angle more north east and was out of site.

The second one followed the same path and was gone.

I have related my story to several people, selected few since I don't like being the butt of jokes, but no one has ever seen a triangular UFO till you came along.

As I remember, what I saw had no fuselage either. They just looked
like fat triangles with rounded edges with no ather features. I think I remember hearing a high pitched crackling sound that followed their
movement, but this may have been added in my mind later.

The closest explanation is a spot light
with a batman like cutout of a triangle being swept across the sky. But it
stopped long enough for me to really see it. It was real and appeared
solid.

I always have felt they were pretty big for airplanes. Maybe 100 to 200 feet across. I know, from having worked around military aircraft, that they always appear smaller than they really are.

I remember destinctly that the sides were rounded. Like the things were maybe 20 feet thick and had perfectly rounded sides, like a 10 foot
radius. They were very smooth looking. I don't remember any thing
protruding from the top or anywhere. I always try to put some sort of cockpit on a saucer in my mind but that's not what I saw.

Oh yea, one other thing that should rule out the chance that it was an early version of the F117...these things DID NOT turn when they changed direction. They simply stopped, rather abruptly and then took off in the
heading off another point of the triangle. Now I suppose the things could have rotated their orentation very quickly, so I couldn't see it, but I never felt they did that. It's like the things have 3 fronts they could choose from.

Andy.
[End]

[Start]
hey, i saw a triangular 'something' around 1976, in the San Diego area. My object had running lights, 2 in each
angle (total of 6), the color being a kind of magenta. they did not blink or strobe. this thing flew nearly overhead, and my sister and i watched it, for approx. 5-6 minutes. it flew slowly, maybe 25 mph, never varying, and the
only noise i heard was a kind of a buzzing/high tension wire sound (there were no wires around.) it was night and a very dark sky with high overcast, so we did not see the bulk of the ship, just a darker area where the body would be.

There were MANY people in the SD area that saw this, and several people
claimed that it interferred with their TV reception.

Kat
[End]

^ Awesome!! :badge:
These remind me of one of my workmate's encounters I posted before where he and friends saw a large black triangle cross the road in front of them, in California near Placer High School in the '80s.. He doesn't want to know more about the triangles as it scared him badly over the long run.

...he and friends saw a large black triangle cross the road in front of them...
I have also found a summary of some accounts I put together quite a years ago now:

"The back end was elliptical and as we passed underneath it we could see it was triangular in shape. There was a light at each corner."

"...an object the size of a Jumbo Jet, hovering..."

Bonnybridge, Scotland.

"Triangular, with bright white lights that dim..."

"...above trees not moving, then moving slow in horizontal and vertical directions..."

Elk Grove, California.

"...200 to 300 feet long, triangle shape..."

"...flying silently just above the tops of trees."

Tarpon Springs/Brooksville, Florida.

"...a triangle shaped craft with lights on the corners."

"It appears as an orange light at first...there was no sound".

Escondido, California.

"...a triangular-shaped craft...It had rounded corners and lights in the corners..."

"...it just skimmed the trees, it made no engine sound - only a
"whoooosh"-like noise. It was not flying fast..."

Indiana.

"...about the same size as a 747 at 20,000 feet, but triangular in shape."

"it wasn't moving...I watched it directly overhead for a good 5 minutes. I used a tree branch as a reference point to confirm that it wasn't moving...

There was no movement whatsoever. It maintained the exact same position - no rotation at. In fact, from the first moment I saw it until it disappeared, it just sat there as if it were painted onto the sky. When it disappeared,
it was as if someone had flipped a switch."

Fairfax County, Virginia.

"... an elongated, acute triangle with rounded edges... which had 3 lights
on it in a triangular formation and a red "beacon" light underneath."

"...what drew our attention to it was it's wobbly motion at first. It seemed like it was floating like a falling leaf...All the while no sound was heard until it was directly above us. It slowed and paused in mid-air for a second and emitteda real low but audible rumble which seemed to come oni instantaneous as if someone said "OK, turn on the sound"."

Pittsburgh, PA.

"...you could tell when it flew over that it was a triangular shape, a perfect triangle."

"...it stopped! It just hovered."

Fairfield, California.
[End]

Have to wonder how many others were never reported...?

Those are great! :)
That's exactly how my workmate described the triangular UFO he and friends saw. I hope the rumored pic that was supposedly taken of one comes out soon. I think perhaps half or more of the objects we see on land come out of the ocean and not in through the atmosphere these days. hard to say as many can go back and forth from space to atmosphere to ocean, no problem.

I think perhaps half or more of the objects we see on land come out of the ocean and not in through the atmosphere these days. hard to say as many can go back and forth from space to atmosphere to ocean, no problem.
How Fortean is this... I have rediscovered old archives and was actually looking at the following.

The formatting is all askew because this is an original copy from a floppy disk!

No matter how much I try, it can't be resolved - I think there might be embedded, hidden, formatting codes which simply do not travel well into the future.

I can't vouch for the veracity - merely pass it on as something I wrote/ documented in the mid 1990s and I can't find another account of same.

[Start]
I had inadvertently missed out the punchline from Tony Dodd's North
Atlantic report. These objects reportedly didn't just depart into the
distance. This is the full article:

NEWS UPDATE

ENCOUNTERS IN THE NORTH ATLANTIC

At 7:30 p.m. on 12 February 1996, a call was received via ship to shore
telephone from fishing boats at sea in the Denmark Strait, off the west
coast of Iceland.

The caller stated that a huge triangular object had suddenly appeared and
was hovering in the sky, close to the boat. At this moment telephone
transmission was cut and contact lost with the ship. Fifteen minutes later,
a further call from the ship revealed that all electronics had failed,
including the telephone. After several minutes the object had moved away
and the electronics restored.

At 9:00 p.m. on Sunday 18 February, 1996, another telephone call was
received direct from the ships at sea. This time the caller reported that
the whole crew were watching three very large triangular objects
accompanied by three balls of red light hovering in the air over the port
bow of the ship. The following conversation took place:

Q. Are the balls of red light attached to the triangles?
A. No, the balls of light are totally separate and independent.

Q. Is your ship carrying radar?
A. Yes, we have radar.

Q. Are the objects showing on radar?
A. Just a minute, we'll go and check - they are not showing on radar.

Q. Are the objects close to your boat?
A. Yes, they are hovering over the port bow.

Q. Are the objects far from you?
A. No, they're very close, they're hovering very low.

Q. Can you hear any sound?
A. No, there's no sound coming from them.

Q. Are there any lights on the large triangle?
A. Yes, there are small lights over different parts of them.

Q. Are the electronics on your boat being affected?
A. No, not at the moment, but we keep losing you on the phone.

Q. How many of you can see these objects?
A. The whole crew.

Q. Have you a camera on board?
A. Yes, we have a video camera.

Q. Please try to get some video footage of the objects.
A. Yes, we're already trying.

AT THIS TIME ALL TELEPHONE CONTACT WAS LOST

Fifteen minutes later, a further telephone call was received. The caller
said, "All the objects have now gone, they've gone down into the sea."

Credit: Tony Dodd (UFO Magazine)
[End]

A broader overview of Dodd's reports from the sea off Iceland can be retrieved via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2004062...ies.com/Area51/Shadowlands/6583/bases053.html

This is the summary from Dodd's old Geocities website. It includes a condensed account of the incident described above plus others during 1996 in the same area / region.

NOTE: Dodd's reports characterized the mystery objects as USOs rather than UFOs. We have a separate thread for USO issues:

USOs: Unidentified Submarine / Submerged Objects
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/usos-unidentified-submarine-submerged-objects.14395/

I'm going to have to have a look today at that. Great stuff Comfortably Numb! And thank you EnolaGaia!

A broader overview of Dodd's reports from the sea off Iceland can be retrieved via...
Well that is amazing - can't thank you enough for taking the time.

The USO thread is really interesting also.

If I might please enquire - what do you make of it all?

The USO thread is really interesting also.
If I might please enquire - what do you make of it all?

Well, since you asked ...

Generally speaking, I find UFO sightings by seamen out at sea more interesting than the majority of UFO sightings. Seamen are more attuned to the natural world and the skies at sea. Perhaps most importantly they are obligated to keep a careful watch on the weather, the waters and anything else that comes into view. By and large I've found sighting reports at sea to be more detailed and precise than almost all the sightings by ordinary folks on land and often surrounded by urban / suburban 'noise'.

Those accustomed to keeping watch at night are less likely to be surprised or fooled by mundane events (e.g., fireballs, high-flying aircraft).

Another factor is that the probabilities for pranks or hoaxing are greatly diminished out there away from shore.

This greater faith in seafarers' qualifications as reliable observers carries over (in my mind, at least ... ) to observations of anomalous surface or submerged phenomena.

It's long been noted that if one subscribed to the ETH and suspected aliens were secretly visiting or operating on earth, they could best remain out of sight by staying at sea - especially under the sea. It's still the case that we have more detailed knowledge of the moon's surface than our own seabeds. There's no better illustration for our understanding the sea's capacity for secrecy than the fact we deploy our least traceable and evadable strategic weaponry via nuclear submarines.

The most striking U*O reports are those that combine the UFO and USO motifs - i.e., objects seen to transition from air to sea or vice versa. The ability to transition from one to the other fluid medium is considerably more remarkable than behavior in only one or the other, and this ability remains truly beyond our own capabilities.

As to USOs specifically ... I still find USO reports quite intriguing, even given the fact there are as many or more confounding factors involved in detecting and observing submerged objects as flying ones. USOs represent a category of Fortean / paranormal phenomena that's generally escaped the excesses and spin-doctoring that have accreted to, and obscured serious inquiry into, other such subject matter areas.

Well, since you asked ..
Quite fabulous and one of these days, who knows, might even find Kenneth Arnold himself having commented on the very thing.

Like... 5 minutes ago when I found this...

Clinton_Daily_News_Mon__Apr_10__1950_.jpg

Well, since you asked ...

Generally speaking, I find UFO sightings by seamen out at sea more interesting than the majority of UFO sightings. Seamen are more attuned to the natural world and the skies at sea. Perhaps most importantly they are obligated to keep a careful watch on the weather, the waters and anything else that comes into view. By and large I've found sighting reports at sea to be more detailed and precise than almost all the sightings by ordinary folks on land and often surrounded by urban / suburban 'noise'.

Those accustomed to keeping watch at night are less likely to be surprised or fooled by mundane events (e.g., fireballs, high-flying aircraft).

Another factor is that the probabilities for pranks or hoaxing are greatly diminished out there away from shore.

This greater faith in seafarers' qualifications as reliable observers carries over (in my mind, at least ... ) to observations of anomalous surface or submerged phenomena.

It's long been noted that if one subscribed to the ETH and suspected aliens were secretly visiting or operating on earth, they could best remain out of sight by staying at sea - especially under the sea. It's still the case that we have more detailed knowledge of the moon's surface than our own seabeds. There's no better illustration for our understanding the sea's capacity for secrecy than the fact we deploy our least traceable and evadable strategic weaponry via nuclear submarines.

The most striking U*O reports are those that combine the UFO and USO motifs - i.e., objects seen to transition from air to sea or vice versa. The ability to transition from one to the other fluid medium is considerably more remarkable than behavior in only one or the other, and this ability remains truly beyond our own capabilities.

As to USOs specifically ... I still find USO reports quite intriguing, even given the fact there are as many or more confounding factors involved in detecting and observing submerged objects as flying ones. USOs represent a category of Fortean / paranormal phenomena that's generally escaped the excesses and spin-doctoring that have accreted to, and obscured serious inquiry into, other such subject matter areas.
These are among my favorite types of sightings too. That's why I'm going to spend the evening looking at:
BLUE BOOK UFO REPORTS BY SHIPS AT SEA

A Research Paper by A. F. Rullan

THE LIST OF SIGHTINGS
A COLLECTION OF WATER-RELATED CASES

http://www.waterufo.net/menu.htm

I have also found a summary of some accounts I put together quite a years ago now:

"The back end was elliptical and as we passed underneath it we could see it was triangular in shape. There was a light at each corner."

"...an object the size of a Jumbo Jet, hovering..."

Bonnybridge, Scotland.

"Triangular, with bright white lights that dim..."

"...above trees not moving, then moving slow in horizontal and vertical directions..."

Elk Grove, California.

"...200 to 300 feet long, triangle shape..."

"...flying silently just above the tops of trees."

Tarpon Springs/Brooksville, Florida.

"...a triangle shaped craft with lights on the corners."

"It appears as an orange light at first...there was no sound".

Escondido, California.

"...a triangular-shaped craft...It had rounded corners and lights in the corners..."

"...it just skimmed the trees, it made no engine sound - only a
"whoooosh"-like noise. It was not flying fast..."

Indiana.

"...about the same size as a 747 at 20,000 feet, but triangular in shape."

"it wasn't moving...I watched it directly overhead for a good 5 minutes. I used a tree branch as a reference point to confirm that it wasn't moving...

There was no movement whatsoever. It maintained the exact same position - no rotation at. In fact, from the first moment I saw it until it disappeared, it just sat there as if it were painted onto the sky. When it disappeared,
it was as if someone had flipped a switch."

Fairfax County, Virginia.

"... an elongated, acute triangle with rounded edges... which had 3 lights
on it in a triangular formation and a red "beacon" light underneath."

"...what drew our attention to it was it's wobbly motion at first. It seemed like it was floating like a falling leaf...All the while no sound was heard until it was directly above us. It slowed and paused in mid-air for a second and emitteda real low but audible rumble which seemed to come oni instantaneous as if someone said "OK, turn on the sound"."

Pittsburgh, PA.

"...you could tell when it flew over that it was a triangular shape, a perfect triangle."

"...it stopped! It just hovered."

Fairfield, California.
[End]

Have to wonder how many others were never reported...?

A report of two triangular UFOs from 1950:
http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/052/S52110.html

Occurred : 10/15/1950 15:00 (Entered as : 10/?/50 15:00)
Reported: 8/22/2006 7:39:35 AM 07:39
Posted: 10/30/2006
Shape: Triangle
Duration:5 minutes
Triangles over New York Harbor 1950

My grand mother had taken me to Atlantic Highlands over looking Sandy Hook and New York Harbor. It was cold that day, I was 8 years old at the time.

We had stopped at a little snack bar about half way up the road and she got a cup of coffee, I don't remeber what I had.

We drove to the top and parked on the overlook. She was still driving her green 47 Chevy, she left the engine running and the heater on.

We noticed two triangle shaped objects comming down the Hudson from the direction of the George Washington Bridge they seemed to be at an altitude lower than us. They came very close, perhaps 1/4 mile or closer. We were looking down on them they were above the water perhaps 300-400 feet. As they passed the Chevy stalled and the Heater blower also stopped. The Blower started running when they were some distance out to sea. About two minutes later two aircraft that I think they were F-80's they had wing tanks.

Shortly there after the two objects flew past and up the Harbor toward the George Whashington Bridge at a high rate of speed the two F-80 were close behind. The objects appeared to be playing with the jets. They slowed down and sped up a couple of times turned sharply and headed out to sea over Coney Island.

My Grandmother died in 1966, I am now 63 years old I know what we saw was real.

((NUFORC Note: Witness indicates that the date of the sighting is approximate. We have assigned an arbitrary date in October 1950. PD))

A LOST GIANT BLACK TRIANGLE FIRST REPORTED IN 1954

September 20, 1954
Enid, Oklahoma
https://www.fold3.com/image/1/8726791

From the Blue Book file:
“area between the triangular lights was blacked out” “it blacked out the stars while travelling across the sky”
Green Light, Amber Light, Red Light – Lights in a triangle shape.
3 to 5 miles away – “the size of two B-26’s”
“did not show any evidence of exhaust or any other method of propulsion”
Observer considered reliable, but “All details of the sighting are very vague” partly because the interview happened 2 months after. Others nearby at the drive-in told witness they didn’t see it when asked.
https://www.fold3.com/image/1/8726787
“three lights moving as a unit”
https://www.fold3.com/image/1/8726797
“Object covered by three (3) lights had to be as large as any known 4 engine aircraft”
https://www.fold3.com/image/1/8726800
He was at a drive-in theater at the time, parked in 5th row.
https://www.fold3.com/image/1/8726793
“Sighted for approximately one second”
“Moved from South to North on a straight and level trajectory at a speed of approximately 2000 to 4000 MPH.”
https://www.fold3.com/image/1/8726787

Afaik, this is supposed to be genuine footage from jet intercepts of triangles over Belgium:
Well, it is from a documentary, and it does not give any other details, so it is very likely to be a mock-up made for the purposes of the documentary. There are no actual photos or movie clips of the real Belgian sightings.

Well, it is from a documentary, and it does not give any other details, so it is very likely to be a mock-up made for the purposes of the documentary. There are no actual photos or movie clips of the real Belgian sightings.
I think it is real footage, as I've read that camera footage was taken during pursuits. I originally found it some year ago. I'd have to dig around but I am pretty sure it is actual footage..

I think these are the details:

BELGIUM FLAP VIDEO:
The Italian TV station RAI-Uno report on the Belgian UFO encounter of March 30-31,1990. Soundtrack is in Italian. It includes a high quality nighttime filming of an anomalous triangular shaped craft exhibiting white lights on each tip and another in the center of the craft, the "Lock-on" incidents involving the scrambled F-16's which were sent to intercept the anomalous craft. This clip displays an object/target acquired through the Pilot's Heads up display Unit or H.U.D. and the whole incident was recorded on camera. Colonel de Bouwer's press conference is shown at the end of the clip. More Belgium flap clips.
https://ufologie.patrickgross.org/htm/vidmil.htm

... It includes a high quality nighttime filming of an anomalous triangular shaped craft exhibiting white lights on each tip and another in the center of the craft, the "Lock-on" incidents involving the scrambled F-16's which were sent to intercept the anomalous craft. This clip displays an object/target acquired through the Pilot's Heads up display Unit or H.U.D. and the whole incident was recorded on camera. ...

The narration states the image on the pilot's display represents radar images, not camera / visual images. The dots are therefore radar blips - traces of radar returns.

The narration states the image on the pilot's display represents radar images, not camera / visual images. The dots are therefore radar blips - traces of radar returns.
Agreed, but there is the other footage on that site as well, and this footage isn't from radar, I don't think?
I think it was perhaps taken from the ground by a civilian during an attempted intercept. I know I've heard Wilfried de Brouwer talk about gun camera footage and I think it was originally linked online to the footage above.

I think it was in the documentary I Know What I Saw. I just ran across this and it rings bells.
(1/2) In documentary 'I know What I Saw' Air Force Major General Ret. for Belgium Air Force Wilfried de Brouwer talks about how informally, an American representative asked for a video that was taken during an intercept of one of the UFOs during the Belgium wave.
(2/2) (He was) to give it to the American representative provided there was a "formal request" by the American government. de Brouwer explains no formal request was ever given so they didn't provide a copy of the gun camera footage. Of course, a formal request leaves a paper trail...
I think the video is the footage from the intercept.

This is the recording from the Belgian incident; much more ambiguous.
belgian.png

According to their own accounts, the pilots did not see the phenomena at all- they only saw radar returns.

Back