• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Triangular UFO Sightings

We've discussed this one quite comprehensively. It's a night vision clip using a triangular iris, which converts the image of any lights in the field of view into out-of-focus triangles. In short, bokeh. The lights are stars and normal aeroplanes.

I've even posted this on the Rendlesham thread in the past, as an example of how nightscopes distort vision.

Curiously, some nightscopes have triangular iris shutters for no particular reason I can imagine. Often the user is not aware of this until they take an out-of-focus clip.
But still interesting that the Pentagon is claiming that this is a genuine UFO!

No, they are saying it is a genuine movie clip, i.e. not faked. Different thing.
I'm sure the person who filmed this did it in good faith.

No, they are saying it is a genuine movie clip, i.e. not faked. Different thing.
I'm sure the person who filmed this did it in good faith.
They may be technically correct but most UFO believers will take it to be an endorsement of a genuine sighting, so there is a certain deceptiveness here.

INCIDENT IN SCOTLAND

UFO Magazine (UK)
JAN/FEB 1987

This relates to what I suspect is a little known case.

Although involving a triangular-shaped UFO, there's much more to it than our usual sighting of an enigmatic aerial artefact.

Way too much more, some might conclude.

Nonetheless this is a hugely detailed report and after lengthy consideration - I've obviously known about it since 87! - decided you are ultimately the best judges as to the context.

Was it all exposed as a fake account and I'm unaware? I've surprisingly never seen any other mention of it.

Perhaps simply one which has proverbially gone 'under the radar'?

The following copy images from the article are best I could achieve and hopefully the text is sufficiently legible (you can zoom in).

Top half of page 1
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_01.jpg

Bottom half of page 1
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_02.jpg

Top half of page 2
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_03.jpg

Bottom half of page 2
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_04.jpg

Top half of page 3
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_05.jpg

Bottom half of page 3
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_06.jpg

Top half of page 4
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_07.jpg

Bottom half of page 4
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_08.jpg

Feedback would most assuredly be welcome!

Last edited:
Searching through some archive material, I have come across the following article:

Contact of the Fourth Kind
by Philip J. Imbrogno

Over the past five years the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut area have been the scene of a massive number of UFO sightings. The numbers of reports are so great that I believe this area has the highest number of raw UFO sighting reports in the entir e world. These reports are documented in my book NIGHT SIEGE THE HUDSON VALLEY UFO SIGHTS which I co-authored with the late Dr. J. Allen Hynek and Mr. Bob Pratt.

(...).

Bill (as we shall refer to him) is a thirty two year old computer programmer for a major scientific-engineering corportation that helped design the major components for the new NASA Hubble space telescope.

On July 19th 1984, at about ten-thirty pm, Bill was leaving work and heading west on Highway I-84. As he approached the Taconic Parkway ramp in Dutchess county New York he noticed a very bright almost circular object off to the north.

The object seemed to be just sitting there in the sky and the lights were very bright white. As he watched the object it began to move and it was at that time he noticed a dark mass behind it which blocked out the brighter light polluted night sky. He continued to drive on 84 and soon lost sight of the object. He then brushed the entire incident off his mind and thought "Oh it must have been those guys from Stormville flying those planes faking a UFO". He then drove on listening to his radio.

He then turned off the route 52 exit near Stormville New York and began traveling north. The time now was close to eleven PM and the roads were quite desolate. He came to a clearing where there was a large field and noticed a large dark mass sitting in the field about 200 yards from the road. At first he thought that it was a new home, but then he knew there was no house there since he went this way just last night and the field was empty. As a matter of fact Bill drove this way home and passed the field everynight and never saw a house there.

Bill slowed down the car. "This thing was huge and dark", he said.The strange thing was it was almost the same shape as a big barn, but it seemed more tapered toward the sides and very smooth. As he watched, the dark object rose into the air without a sound. This really upset Bill since he was the only car on the road. The object then rose higher and higher. All that Bill could see was the dark mass slowly rising into the air. It was now about twice as high as the trees and it moved slowly towards Bill who was still in the car.

(...)

Bill then put his car into gear and sped away from the object. His heart was racing as he drove up the road at about fifty miles and hour. Bill then lost sight of the object and continued to drive at a slower rate of speed. After several minutes he noticd a glow up ahead over a hill. As he approached the crest of the hill there the object was! It was about 300 feet above the trees and was all lit up with rows of white and yellow lights. He then stopped his car and turned off the engine and the lights.

He was hoping that whoever was in the thing would not see him. The objectthen turned off its lights and he could see this huge dark mass slolwy drifting toward him. The object passed right over his car, he could now see its shape, it was triangular. Bill told me "I don't want to make light of this, but the ship looked like one of the star destroyers in Star Wars. The underside was the same shape, although I did not see the top".

The object passed over Bill, as he looked up he saw circular areas underneath the UFO. These circular areas seemed to be like tunnels leading into the object. Inside these circular tunnels there was a white flashing,similar to the flashing of a white strobe light...

(...)

Bill told me there was no sound.He estimated its size to be at least 300 feet from end to end.

Then something strange took place. The last thing Bill remembers is watching it go over his car, he did not see it leave. The next thing he knows he is at the bottom of the hill 600 feet from the position he was when the UFO passed over his parked car.

The object itself was gone. He was not sure what time it was when he watched the object passed over his car, but he feels it was most likely about eleven-thirty PM. The time was now twelve-fifteen. He started his drive home upset and with a very stiff neck .

When he arrived home he told his wife about his sighting. She was worried to begin with since he was almost and hour late. That night Bill woke up yelling in the night"saying get away from me!" His wife said that the nightmares continued for a while at least twice a week. Bill told to me that he was not sure of what the nightmare was, but he knew something was after him. As time went on Bill was afraid to drive at night alone. He even had to insist to his boss not to put him on the evening or night shift at his job.

Finally Bill wanted to find out more since the experience of the UFO and the fearful dreams tormented him. It wasen't until 1987 that Bill contacted me and told me his story. Bill had seen Budd Hopkins (author of the book INTRUDERS) on a number of shows and asked me if would be possible for him to be hypnotized.

(....)

The following is a brief transcript of Bills encounter under hypnosis.

(...)

(End of article)

I shall leave that aside, for now.

What became immediately striking was the extraordinary similarly with a case I personally documented, in the late 1990s.

This was my report back then:

As recently mentioned, I have been attempting to document three entirely separate accounts of an encounter with a UFO.

This is the last of the three accounts and by far the most recent and detailed.

Taken at face value, it is also the most difficult to rationally explain.

Details of the encounter originally appeared as a brief posting on alt.paranet.ufo and I followed it up, asking if I could document it in more detail. The witness agreed and there followed considerable correspondence, documenting and clarifying the exact nature of the reported encounter.

Again, I have summarised this account using only the verbatim testimony of the witness and have their confirmation that this summary is an accurate record of events. This witness is a 41 year old lady, currently a student.

[START]
On March 7th, 1995, at around 9.00 p.m., my father, son and I were on our way home, traveling in a westerly direction on Martin Road, a county road between Two Harbors MN and Duluth, in a remote area, north-east of Lake Superior.

Lighting conditions were very dark. The moon was in the last quarter, right before the new moon, so it was a sliver moon. It wasn't snowing in that area at the time, however, the day before there was a huge snow storm, but it had passed and there were only scattered flurries that night.

As we were driving, we saw what appeared to be a huge building or stadium on a high hill. It was the altitude that made it appear to be on a hill, there is no hill in this area.

I remarked about never seeing a building there before. I asked my father at that point what the object was? He didn't respond. My father is a stroke victim and therefore has very limited speech. I could not recall a factory or stadium or anything in the area that might have been the size of what we were seeing.

As we proceeded up the road, the building started moving toward us, at a fast rate.

Finally what we thought was a building was alongside us.

It was some sort of craft. It was huge. It had 4 lights in front, and one larger light underneath.

The craft approached us from the south and was to the west of us. It hovered off to the left and to the west of us so that we could see it quite clearly. I would say it hovered for approximately 60 seconds.

It seemed to be observing us.

My son was asleep in the back seat and didn't wake, even though I was shouting at him to look.

We were almost stopped at this point. It then angled downwards, tilting the front with the 4 lights directly at us. When the craft hovered the back dropped down. It then started moving toward us and toward the ground. When it came at us, we could not see the back of the craft as it was at approximately a 35 degree angle toward the ground, with the headlights pointing at us. We could only see the headlights and front of the craft at that time, the light underneath was not visible at that point.

The front of the craft may itself have been angled slightly, I can't recall for certain. We were also unable to see the top of the craft.

We both thought it might hit us, which it looked like it would have if it hadn't dropped the back end yet again and started hovering in front of us, over the road.

It tilted back and hovered over us.

It was wider in front than in back, creating a wedge shape from front to back. It was like a wedge of cake on it's side, or at least from the angle we could see it.

It may have angled in the centre of the front slightly, I'm not sure, but it gave that impression.

We are talking about a craft that is approximately 330 feet wide, at it's widest point, and approximately 220 feet in length.

The width of the back was much thinner, I can't be certain of the width at the narrowest point.

In height, from the upper edge to the lower edge, the front of the craft was approximately 40 feet. It was comparative with the height of a two a 2 storey house.

It appeared to use the back as a rudder, as when it was hovering it angled the back down and seemed to just sit watching us.

The was no determinable sound from the craft.

The lights in front were approximately 40 ft in diameter.

From left to right, they were spaced approximately as follows:

From left hand front edge to first light - 30 feet

From first light to second light - 20 feet

From second light to third light - 70 feet

From third light to fourth light - 20 feet

From fourth light to right hand front edge - 30 feet

They were not flush with the end of the craft (front edges).

There was a large gap between the front centre lights. I'm not sure what was there as I was more interested in the underside.

The lights were larger than the gaps.

These lights were an off-white color and did not illuminate anything but the craft itself. They glowed, and yet there was no beam.

When the object came at us we should have been illuminated, we were not, neither was any of the surrounding area. The lights did not change color at any time. The only thing that was lit by them was the craft itself.

As we continued to travel east on the road, we passed under the object.

As we were passing under the craft I was looking up at it.

The color became very evident; it was a snow-cloud gray.

The light underneath the craft was the size of all the other lights put together, i.e., approximately 160 feet in diameter. In my estimation, it was the size of a small house. It was centered and there was approx 85 feet of area on either side from the side edges.

Underneath, in the centre of the craft and surrounding this central light, were objects which are difficult to describe. They were angular, square, rectangular, the only way I can describe them is maybe like doors? They did not protrude a lot, but enough to see them.

When I could no longer see the craft, I looked in the rear-view mirror, and it was gone.

I said to my dad that if he and my son hadn't been with me I would have stopped and he said, "turn around, turn around". I told him it was gone.

After we went under the craft, I was just in a state of shock for a while.

My son didn't waken until after we were under it and it was gone.

I then spoke to my dad some. Then I thought I should remember everything I could and checked the time, I estimated that it had been between 10 and 15 minutes since we had passed under the craft. I looked at the clock and it was 9:15 p.m.

We were about 15 or 20 minutes longer getting home than usual. I attribute this to watching the craft and maybe not driving as fast as usual after seeing it. I watched the sky the rest of the way home.

We didn't stop, we kept driving as we still had some distance to go to get home. As mentioned, my father is a stroke victim and therefore has very limited speech. To ask him about the encounter, "yes" and "no" questions would essentially have to be asked. The next day, I asked him, "did we see something weird on the way home last night?" "Yes, Yes", was his reply.

We did discuss some of the experience on the way home, but it is very difficult to communicate with him due to his disability. I am able to understand him through gesture, facial expression etc. He is able to communicate to some extent, but his vocabulary is very limited.

There was another vehicle the night we saw the object, a pickup truck. It turned off on a side road before we passed under it. I believe the truck turned at about the time the object started to hover the first time. The truck turned to the left and that was the end of seeing it, we were more interested in the object.

I had thought maybe we would see something in the paper about it, but nothing was there and if the person in the truck was alone, they may have thought they just imagined it.

I am 41 years old and have never seen anything like this before nor have I heard of anything like it. My father is 70 and he too has never seen anything like it. Both of us felt we were being observed by this craft.

Since seeing this craft it has made thinking of anything else difficult. I know it was there and so does my father.

I have almost become obsessed with this thing. It is making me afraid to drive at night, because I'm constantly watching the sky. I want to see it again. l don't know why.

I have also been having nightmares since seeing it. On Tuesday night after seeing the craft, I dreamed that I was somehow involved in a vivisection. I don't recall the rest of the dreams, but I have had very disturbing dreams that wake me and I can't remember them.

The vivisection dream is the only one I really remember. I assume that is due to the fact that I will be taking a human movement class and have to dissect a human cadaver. I have been taking very intensive anatomy and physiology classes for the past couple of years, as well as other related classes. It was strange to me that I would have this dream after seeing this craft. In the three years of anatomy classes, I've never had bad dreams about it. I usually never recall any dreaming, so the nightmares, or interrupted sleep is new too.

My son is sleeping fine and we haven't noticed any unusual physical effects, such as marks.

I felt that it was not a friendly looking craft. The only curves on it were the lights, everything else was angular.

The encounter for my father was not as traumatic as one might think. He and my mother saw another craft many years ago along with approximately 100 other people. He tells me that this was in North Carolina in the early 50's and people had stopped their cars to watch this craft.

I do wish very much that he were able to talk, as in asking him questions he says he did see the top of the craft, but is unable to articulate what he saw.

When I posted details of my experience to alt.paranet.ufo, I wanted to make the post as soon as possible as I didn't want to forget anything.

I wasn't really looking for anything other than to make a post at that time.

I didn't know what to look for as I didn't really know where to start or what I would be trying to find.

Any previous interest in UFO's has always been just a normal curiosity.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd see something like this.
(END)

Not being resident in the U.S., I was unfamiliar whether this reportedly occurred anywhere near the Hudson Valley area - it's in the same timeframe

Just checked and... that would seem to be affirmative?

Could either one of the accounts be fictional and based on the other?

Because if not....

How then to rationalise?

I'm sure there have been many other accounts of the triangular objects. The NIDS study indicated that most were sighted on flightpaths between certain secretive USAF bases:

Attachments

• NIDS Triangular aircraft.pdf
    530 KB · Views: 11
INCIDENT IN SCOTLAND

UFO Magazine (UK)
JAN/FEB 1987

This relates to what I suspect is a little known case.

Although involving a triangular-shaped UFO, there's much more to it than our usual sighting of an enigmatic aerial artefact.

Way too much more, some might conclude.

Nonetheless this is a hugely detailed report and after lengthy consideration - I've obviously known about it since 87! - decided you are ultimately the best judges as to the context.

Was it all exposed as a fake account and I'm unaware? I've surprisingly never seen any other mention of it.

Perhaps simply one which has proverbially gone 'under the radar'?

The following copy images from the article are best I could achieve and hopefully the text is sufficiently legible (you can zoom in).

Top half of page 1
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_01.jpg

Bottom half of page 1
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_02.jpg

Top half of page 2
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_03.jpg

Bottom half of page 2
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_04.jpg

Top half of page 3
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_05.jpg

Bottom half of page 3
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_06.jpg

Top half of page 4
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_07.jpg

Bottom half of page 4
www.forteanmedia.com/UFO_Mag_08.jpg

Feedback would most assuredly be welcome!
Hi. Thanks for this. I'm interested in the account. You mention it appeared in UFO Magazine, Jan/Feb 1987. I presume you mean the UK version? I hadn't realised it was in print then. I'd certainly like to see if I could get hold of a copy. Although, could this event have actually happened in 1996 and not 1987?

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for this. I'm interested in the account. You mention it appeared in UFO Magazine, Jan/Feb 1987. I presume you mean the UK version? I hadn't realised it was in print then. I'd certainly like to see if I could get hold of a copy. Although, could this event have actually happened in 1996 and not 1987?
I believe you are correct, it's possibly the 1997 Jan/Feb issue (I no longer have a copy) and that's a typo gone unnoticed.

I have had a further look into this story and it's maybe not a straightforward account at all.

Could this be a tale borne of 'regressive hypnosis' - a critical factor not revealed in the 'UFO Magazine' article.

Although I have only had time to briefly browse the contents, I have just discovered the following and the same case does seem to be featured therein:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?op...ACfU3U3aM-CJjNoFAHyW_kjkC8SZlHAkEg&hl=en&sa=X

If perhaps of related interest, these are 4 articles, written by Philip J. Imbrogno and others, posted on the old newsgroups over 20 years ago.

As only one seems to be dated, they are not in any specific order and have been uploaded as .pdf files:

NIGHT SIEGE UPDATE: UFO'S OVER CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
By Philip J. Imbrogno
(5 pages)
File size: 80k

www.forteanmedia.com/Hudson_01.pdf

THE WESTCHESTER WING - A CLOSER LOOK
By R. Perry Collins
(21 pages)
File size: 224k

www.forteanmedia.com/Hudson_02.pdf

CLOSE ENCOUNTER ON INTERSTATE 84
By Philip J. Imbrogno
(3 pages - slight text corruption at end)
File size: 70k

www.forteanmedia.com/Hudson_03.pdf

Incident at Indian Point
by Vicki Cooper
Date prepared: 4/20/91
(5 pages)
File size: 70k

www.forteanmedia.com/Hudson_04.pdf

Lots of interesting stuff there... You may be interested in this lesser know event which has all the 'usual' hallmarks, including a point mentioned a few times about the backwards tilt of alleged triangular flying objects when hovering. Warwickshire and Leicestershire, UK.

Triangular UFO Video - Colin Saunders

A little video which examines the alleged sighting with diagrams.

Full story here, in print:

Triangular UFO Report - Leicester Mercury

Interesting comparison to 'airships' which also seems to figure prominently in many reports of this nature, although the rapid acceleration aspect is a little hard to reconcile, perhaps.

You may be interested in this lesser know event which has all the 'usual' hallmarks, including a point mentioned a few times about the backwards tilt of alleged triangular flying objects when hovering. Warwickshire and Leicestershire, UK
Yes, it would be fair to say, ever so slightly of interest...

Re the Colin Saunders video, see my post #180.

The aspect you mention has not, to ny knowledge, ever been specifically highlighted before.

See what you mean there ...

:thought:

Shall persue what else might be comparative, within my archives.

Always in search of a clue... inspired by my mentor.... (remove @) :)

@https://youtu.be/CzycofSj7EM

Last edited:
Lots of interesting stuff there... You may be interested in this lesser know event which has all the 'usual' hallmarks, including a point mentioned a few times about the backwards tilt of alleged triangular flying objects when hovering. Warwickshire and Leicestershire, UK.

Triangular UFO Video - Colin Saunders

A little video which examines the alleged sighting with diagrams.

Full story here, in print:

Triangular UFO Report - Leicester Mercury

Interesting comparison to 'airships' which also seems to figure prominently in many reports of this nature, although the rapid acceleration aspect is a little hard to reconcile, perhaps.
Fascinating reproduction of what Mr Saunders remembers, in that, you can understand just how the same object could - in different positions, appear to be that of a pyramid in shape.

First episode of the new series UFO Conspiracies with Craig Charles and Sarah Cruddas featured a triangular/pyramidal UFO event in South Wales in 2016. They also showed the famous US navy footage of a triangular UFO.

https://www.history.co.uk/shows/craig-charles-ufo-conspiracies
A triangle of military flares:

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/the-pentyrch-ufo-encounter.11738/

I am not a skeptic but this non-event needs to be buried now before it takes on a life of its own and we have new "witnesses' coming forward to make claims of telepathic communication with the UFOs, being recruited as super-soldiers to fight against the aliens etc etc...

After being reminded of this on another thread, I just thought I'd bring up one my favourite (if that's the right term) triangular object sightings, which is the one by deputies McCoy and Goode on September 3rd 1965 near Damon, Texas.

https://www.ufocasebook.com/damontexas.html
This one has several characteristics seen in cases above (very large size, slow movement of the object with sudden 'jumps') along with a bit of mid 60s strangeness ('healing' of an injury on Goode's hand, a MIB-like visit from two hat-wearing 'reporters' a short while later).

I have to say this one has me a bit stumped, unless McCoy and Goode were substantially elaborating what they saw. The provisional Blue Book solution (Antares plus an unusually strong inversion at about 10,000ft) was eventually dropped and the case left as unidentified. I note there is a local news report from 2015 which suggests they never changed or withdrew their story.

Last edited:
After being reminded of this on another thread, I just thought I'd bring up one my favourite (if that's the right term) triangular object sightings, which is the one by deputies McCoy and Goode on September 3rd 1965 near Damon, Texas.

https://www.ufocasebook.com/damontexas.html
This one has several characteristics seen in cases above (very large size, slow movement of the object with sudden 'jumps') along with a bit of mid 60s strangeness ('healing' of an injury on Goode's hand, a MIB-like visit from two hat-wearing 'reporters' a short while later).

I have to say this one has me a bit stumped, unless McCoy and Goode were substantially elaborating what they saw. The provisional Blue Book solution (Antares plus an unusually strong inversion at about 10,000ft) was eventually dropped and the case left as unidentified. I note there is a local news report from 2015 which suggests they never changed or withdrew their story.
It is definitely one of the better accounts. I suppose you could make an argument for some sort of secret US Air Force spy blimp, but its a bit of a weak explanation

Reactions: BS3
It is definitely one of the better accounts. I suppose you could make an argument for some sort of secret US Air Force spy blimp, but its a bit of a weak explanation

The only potential points I've got are:

- When the deputies drove back to the area on a parallel road they saw nothing. They then turned onto the main road, and the sighting began to develop in the same way as before. Does this perhaps suggest some very specific visual stimulus? Can't think what, though

- After fleeing for the second time they told a district judge in West Columbia, just down the road, about the sighting. The judge drove straight out there and saw nothing despite waiting for a couple of hours

- The 'healing' experience and later quasi-MIB experience came from the older man, Goode. Was it possible he was influencing McCoy somehow?

The only potential points I've got are:

- When the deputies drove back to the area on a parallel road they saw nothing. They then turned onto the main road, and the sighting began to develop in the same way as before. Does this perhaps suggest some very specific visual stimulus? Can't think what, though

- After fleeing for the second time they told a district judge in West Columbia, just down the road, about the sighting. The judge drove straight out there and saw nothing despite waiting for a couple of hours

- The 'healing' experience and later quasi-MIB experience came from the older man, Goode. Was it possible he was influencing McCoy somehow?
The whole healing 'experience' and quasi-MIB does indeed sound as if it were suggested to him by a 1960s Ufologist. Wounds heal without the need for ET involvement.

I'm always slightly suspicious of witnesses who claim to see dark objects/craft between bright lights as it could easily be an optical illusion caused by their own eyes.

The whole healing 'experience' and quasi-MIB does indeed sound as if it were suggested to him by a 1960s Ufologist. Wounds heal without the need for ET involvement.

I'm always slightly suspicious of witnesses who claim to see dark objects/craft between bright lights as it could easily be an optical illusion caused by their own eyes.

There's definitely a strong possibility of the "airship effect" going on, but in this case the witnesses did claim that the object cast a clear shadow onto the ground in the moonlight. As often the case it all comes down to whether their statements were exaggerated. Given that both men seem to have been genuinely quite frightened, it's possible their recall filled in details like the shadow.

There's a slightly fuller account here along with witness drawings.

Last edited:
... There's a slightly fuller account here along with witness drawings.

Thanks for posting that additional link - it seems to clarify something that I was about to question ...

I'm not sure this Sixties-era Texas UFO was "triangular" in the same sense as more recent ones. The sketches indicate it appeared to have a peak in the center when viewed laterally (i.e., from the side). More recent "triangular" UFOs are so labeled because they appear to have a triangular horizontal profile.

Thanks for posting that additional link - it seems to clarify something that I was about to question ...

I'm not sure this Sixties-era Texas UFO was "triangular" in the same sense as more recent ones. The sketches indicate it appeared to have a peak in the center when viewed laterally (i.e., from the side). More recent "triangular" UFOs are so labeled because they appear to have a triangular horizontal profile.
Please See: Sid, Post #283, Jan 15, 2022 Forum: Ufology

One interesting detail is that they claimed to see the shadow of this object in the moonlight, despite the fact that it was emitting light itself. Now it is very unusual to see the shadow of an aircraft at all, because the 'umbra' of a flying object quickly shrinks away to invisibility unless the object is very large or very low.

One particular type of object in the sky might cast a moonlit shadow large enough to reach the ground; a small or moderately large cloud could do the trick. In moonlight the edges of a suitably-shaped cloud might reflect moonlight in a range of bluish or even purplish colours; perhaps this is what they saw.
Finally they returned to the area where they had first seen the lights, and once again spied the purple light on the horizon, and again saw the smaller blue light emerge with a strange two-step motion and float upward. Fearing another close encounter, they again fled the area.
Maybe the blue light was a particularly bright star or planet, emerging from the cloud in a hesitant fashion. But I would note that running away from a sighting is not recommended if you want to record the details accurately.

Last edited:
Antares was, as the Air Force noted, in approximately the right place to contribute to the sighting, although the description of the purple light as oval-shaped and "pulsating" isn't a great fit.

I note there is an oil refinery a few miles southwest of the point they saw the object so you could perhaps imagine that some lights there might be the source, combined with an unusual atmospheric condition; on the other hand the witnesses expressly state they considered, and then rejected, oil field lights. In his statement McCoy also said that he returned to the same place at approximately the same time for another 3 nights - always a good policy for any witness trying to work out what you might have seen - but was unable to see anything that might have caused the phenomenon.

Again a lot rests on whether the perception of the object casting a shadow, or the purple light actually flooding the car, was accurate.

Is there any natural phenomenon or industrial process that gives off a brilliant purple light? It's not an especially common colour in UFO sightings as far as I can make out.

The only other thing I can think of is that Goode, the older man whose usual beat this was, somehow pulled a huge wind-up on his younger (but more senior) colleague. He knew the route intimately, was driving (and therefore in control), was the one who looked at the lights through binoculars etc.

But the sighting itself doesn't really suggest that - you'd expect a fire balloon type thing or perhaps a colleague in a tin foil costume, something like that. It just doesn't feel very hoax-y.

Has the apparent triangular UFO filmed from the ISS been debunked yet?

iss.png
iss2.png

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/world...ternational-space-station-aircraft-100-alien/

Quite often these groups of lights turn out to be squid fishermen using lights in the ocean to attract their prey. As the ISS passes overhead each group of lights (which might include dozens, or hundreds of boats) merges into blobs in the middle of the dark ocean. These lights are often coloured, like the bioluminescence they mimic.
c1_1571170_181107040939.jpg

Is there any natural phenomenon or industrial process that gives off a brilliant purple light? It's not an especially common colour in UFO sightings as far as I can make out.

A well-regulated or low volume gas flare (natural gas burn-off stack at a refinery or industrial complex) can produce a steady blue or blue-ish flame of varying intensity and richness. I've seen some such gas flare flames at night that could be called purple.

A well-regulated or low volume gas flare (natural gas burn-off stack at a refinery or industrial complex) can produce a steady blue or blue-ish flame of varying intensity and richness. I've seen some such gas flare flames at night that could be called purple.

That's a good suggestion, though digging into the files again I notice a couple of further descriptions of the light:

"McCoy saw this light as constantly pulsating purple of the brilliance of a welder's light, but purple instead of blue. To Goode this light appeared to be a mass of small flashing lights"

Back