• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Trick Or Treat Nastiness?

We had the pumpkin lights out, and had one intense burst of visits, all dressed up, all polite, all with adults, and all between about 6.30 and 7.30. After that, peace. It's always been like that round here though - lots of families with school-age kids, and most people have lived here a while so most know one another, hence little trouble, and a kind of generally-agreed curfew of 8 pm :).

When I lived in New Orleans, Hallowe'en was a big deal. Obviously in a city well-known for Voodoo, zombies, vampires, ghosts, and so on, it's bound to be.

One year we'd all planned to go out to nightclubs, and wouldn't be home, so we didn't prepare candy. The trick-or-treaters began to arrive earlier than expected, and after the first couple of kids were turned away (even with all the lights off, the kids still knocked) we had a rather large group arrive. Now, the children in NOLA can be a bit tough in some neighborhoods, and it won't go over well to deny them candy. We tried to politely turn the group away, but they became hostile, and surrounded our home, banging on the windows and doors, shouting, and throwing rocks. We were genuinely frightened that they would cause some real damage. So to diffuse the situation, I ran around the house trying to come up with whatever I could to give them, which wound up being paper bags filled with coins, macaroni, sticks of gum, and other odds and ends. It worked!

The tradition among our crowd was to head to Metairie cemetery on All Souls' Day for a wine and cheese picnic. Metairie is an absolutely gorgeous cemetery filled with luxurious mausoleums. Of course we did tend to shock a lot of the visitors, given that we were a bunch of goths. More than once we were kicked out.

Children given Ecstasy tablets while treat or treating? :eek: A real life UL? Well they haven't been tested yet so who knows?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-46057921

Police are investigating a claim youngsters were given ecstasy tablets while trick or treating.

Amy Dixon said her children, aged two and five, came home with an envelope containing about 10 suspicious pills after collecting sweets in Shiremoor, North Tyneside, on Wednesday.

In a Facebook video, Ms Dixon said she was "mortified" by the incident.

Northumbria Police said they were conducting inquiries "to establish if the tablets are harmful".

In the social media post, Ms Dixon said: "I've just had my kids trick or treating and they've just come home and opened all of their little mix-ups to find a little package.

Darius' Halloween  Jack O'Lantern 2018.jpg
This is my 2018 Halloween Jack O'Lantern. For those in countries where such things aren't commonplace, the etiquette is that you light it up to say you have candy, then snuff it when you run out, or at midnight, whichever comes first. It attracts swarms of costumed youngsters that you can feed to your in-laws and carnivorous plants.

Children given Ecstasy tablets while treat or treating? :eek: A real life UL? Well they haven't been tested yet so who knows?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-46057921

In my inexpert opinion that's 100% a hoax. Either they're not drugs or they are and someone's misplaced/planted them.

Reminds me of the battery allegedly found inside a Co-Op chocolate Easter bunny. There was a big flap about that but it became obvious that the person who claimed to have bought the chocolate had planted it in the hope of compensation.

View attachment 12730
This is my 2018 Halloween Jack O'Lantern. For those in countries where such things aren't commonplace, the etiquette is that you light it up to say you have candy, then snuff it when you run out, or at midnight, whichever comes first. It attracts swarms of costumed youngsters that you can feed to your in-laws and carnivorous plants.
I'll feed you to my carnivorous dog, he he.

Back