• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Troy Hurtubise (aka Hurtzy): Gonzo Inventor

A

Anonymous

wow hehe
check this out theweirdwideweb.com
Link is dead. No archived version found.

this guy made a suit to fight bears in haha,
he has withstood 18 !!!!! runs from a truck bashing into him, as well as axe's and baseball bats

cost this dude £70,000 to make!!!!!!!!!!

haha i want one !

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this bloke on ripleys a while back, it's also made of (looks up on Google - Hurtzy) spider web - he collects a load of webs, melts them down and pours the liquid onto a facial sponge, and the sponges are made into a sort of padding that fits inbetween the kevlar outer layer and the inner layer.

The suit took about 5 years to build purely because finding enough spider web was so difficult.

The footage of him standing there while a few friends banged the crud outta him with a few 2 by 4's and the old "swing the log from a tree into his groin" experiments were hilarious :D

He's also claustrophobic :rolleyes:

Only men would be crazy enough to do that!

luce

hehehe cool !!

heheh thats cool i want one . . . somthing liek that could be used for bomb disposal suits etc . . . wonder how well it would stand upto a bomb.

Last edited by a moderator:
i wana see the film he made..Project Grizzly... can find it in Uk tho..

Almost 2 decades later, here's some clarification ...

The inventor mentioned here was Troy Hurtubise - "... a Canadian inventor and conservationist, noted for self-testing his often bizarre creations. These inventions included various ray generators, firepaste (an ablative heatproofing material), the Ursus personal armor suit and the Trojan Ballistics Suit of Armor."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Hurtubise

The anti-bear (etc.) armor refers to the Ursus suit ...

Hurtubise built a metal suit for protection from grizzly bears; recorded as a National Film Board of Canada documentary and called Project Grizzly, in which Hurtubise tested the capabilities of the suit using himself as the test subject. This resulted in his Ig Nobel Prize for Safety Engineering in 1998. The documentary focuses on version six of the suit ("Ursa Mark VI"), and also includes clips of the previous versions being tested.

The spider web stuff may or may not allude to the Trojan ballistic armor.

There are multiple videos by and about Hurtubise available on YouTube.

Unfortunately, Hurtubise died in a 2018 vehicle accident in his native Ontario.

I saw Project Grizzly and remember the director/narrator's worry that for all the armour Hurtubise had on, for some reason he left his crotch almost completely unguarded. This was a design flaw, according to the director.

He built quite a few different versions of the suit, at great expense. His last one looks like an Iron Man or space marine suit. It's amazing.

I saw Project Grizzly and remember the director/narrator's worry that for all the armour Hurtubise had on, for some reason he left his crotch almost completely unguarded. This was a design flaw, according to the director.
That's what's known as an "Achilles' crotch"

Back