• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Truly Giant Sharks

Whale sharks: Atomic tests solve age puzzle of world's largest fish

Data from atomic bomb tests conducted during the Cold War have helped scientists accurately age the world's biggest fish.

Although not that accurately - "The absolute longevity of these animals could be very, very old, possibly as much as 100-150 years old,"

Great Whites are thought to live around 70 years.

To date, scientists have tried to count distinct lines in the vertebrae of dead whale sharks. These act like rings in a tree trunk, increasing as the animal gets older.

But they have been unsure about how often these rings can form and the reasons behind them.

Now researchers say they have come up with a much more accurate way of determining the whale sharks' true age.

From the late 1940s, several nations including the US, the Soviet Union, Great Britain, France and China conducted atomic bomb tests in different locations.

One side effect of all these explosions was the doubling of an atom type, or isotope, called Carbon-14 in the atmosphere.

Over time, every living thing on the planet has absorbed this extra Carbon-14 which still persists.

But as scientists know the rate at which this isotope decays, it is a very useful marker in determining age.

The older the creature, the less Carbon-14 you'd expect to find.

This team managed to find two long-dead specimens stored in Pakistan and Taiwan.

"The absolute longevity of these animals could be very, very old, possibly as much as 100-150 years old," said Dr Meekan.

"This has huge implications for the species. It suggests that these things are probably intensely vulnerable to over-harvesting."

The scientists say their results explain why whale shark numbers have collapsed in locations like Thailand and Taiwan where fishing has taken place.

"They are just not built for humans to exploit," said Dr Meekan.

In many tropical regions, whale shark tourism is now a major attraction. The researchers say that encouraging co-operation between different countries along the vast routes that whale sharks follow is key to their survival.

"Whale sharks are a fantastic ambassador for marine life and one that has lifted so many people out of poverty," added Dr Meekan.

1586179362063.png

Not someone I'd like to meet, nor anyone of his kin. I was snorkelling off a reef on the east coast of Bali once and a school of 4-6 foot reef sharks swam past me. While not considered dangerous to humans, there's was still a primeval rush of adrenaline coursing through me at the sight of them. I love the ocean but still have a healthy respect for it.

Not someone I'd like to meet, nor anyone of his kin. I was snorkelling off a reef on the east coast of Bali once and a school of 4-6 foot reef sharks swam past me. While not considered dangerous to humans, there's was still a primeval rush of adrenaline coursing through me at the sight of them. I love the ocean but still have a healthy respect for it.

I know precisely what you mean.

I met an average-sized whitetip reef shark while scuba diving off Fiji and it gave me a considerable rush. It has the sharky profile and the efficient, sinewy swish that tells you it could be anywhere it wants in two seconds.

It made my day. I couldn't stop talking about it.

Last edited:
I love how this is almost the complete opposite of a ABC sighting where people mistake a very small cat for a very large one.

5.2 Metre Great White tagged off the coast of Nova Scotia:

‘Monster’ ancient great white shark caught by researchers
Scientists have caught a massive, 50-year-old great white shark more than 5.2 metres long and weighing more than 1600kg.
Scientists have caught a massive, ancient great white shark more than 5.2 metres long and weighing more than 1600kg.

Researchers from OCEARCH working in waters off the coast off Nova Scotia in Canada caught the great white on Saturday, and named her Nukumi. The organisation said on Twitter the shark was an “ancient mature female white shark or ‘Queen of the Ocean’”.
“We named her ‘Nukumi’, pronounced noo-goo-mee, for the legendary wise old grandmother figure of the Native American Mi’kmaq people,” OCEARCH wrote on Facebook on Saturday

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...s/news-story/6dc98afd29ccfccfc4493f58103484ad

26 Foot long dead basking shark washes up on Maine beach:

The shark was found in Greenland Cove in Bremen Tuesday. Maine Dept. of Marine Resources was on site taking samples for genetic, dietary and aging analysis.

the 6 gill shark is also about tht size and rivals the great white for size. Very few are seen since they live thousands of feet down.
Didn't Jeremey Wade do a program about them?

Back