• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tube station ghost

meanderer1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
'WHISTLING GHOST' MAY HAUNT TUBE STATION

A London Tube station is being listed as a favourite "horror holiday" haunt alongside world-famous terror spots Salem and Sleepy Hollow.

Aldgate Underground station is on a spook list compiled by online travel company ebookers.com in time for Halloween.

Apparently, the east London station has had numerous reports of ghostly footsteps and mournful whistling.

According to legend, a frail, white-haired woman was seen stroking the neck of a worker on the tracks, seconds before he was killed by a misdirected train in a freak accident.

Another London spot - the Grenadier Pub near Marble Arch - is also on the list. It is home to the ghost of a murdered army officer caught cheating in a card game.

The pub is still drinking out, if not dining out, on the story, as visitors come from afar to pin money to the ceiling of the pub as tribute to the unfortunate cardplayer.

Other spooky spots being promoted include Salem in the US, the site of the 1692 witch trials, and Sleepy Hollow in New York where there have been sightings of a headless horseman.

I thought the Sleepy Hollow ghost was from the tale by (?) Washington Irving? Or did he adapt a local legend? Or did the legend arise from his story??

Carole

It doesn't surprise me at all that the underground would be haunted - but I'd think it'd be more by recent deaths - someone seems to get squished by a train every week. I've yet to find any statistics online, or accounts of anyone that's seen it happen (people must have seen it). It's got to be a really easy way of killing yourself too. It'd be so easy to just jump...

Related IHTM:

http://217.206.205.125/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3119

Were there any deaths in tube stations during WWII?

If you've ever been on an empty tube station, it's a very eerie place . . .:eek!!!!:

What other legends are there about tube stations?

Carole

carole said:

One notable incident was in an entrance to Bethnal Green tube station, where a crowd panicked by the sound of an anti-aircraft gun rushed down the steps. 173 people (incl children) were killed in the crush.

There's a plaque commemorating this at the entrance - I only know this because I read it while I was waiting for the station to open one morning.

Pinklefish said:
It doesn't surprise me at all that the underground would be haunted - but I'd think it'd be more by recent deaths - someone seems to get squished by a train every week. I've yet to find any statistics online, or accounts of anyone that's seen it happen (people must have seen it). It's got to be a really easy way of killing yourself too. It'd be so easy to just jump...

Related IHTM:

http://217.206.205.125/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3119

Having seen a suicide on the underground I would not recomend it, I was there in an official capacity so got to see the whole thing, the woman did not die instantly as some might imagine but lingered in apparant agony for some time, I would not want to witness that horror again.

carole said:

20 people were killed when a bomb exploded at Marble Arch station in September 1940.

At Bank station a bomb broke through the pavement bounced down the escalator and exploded, killing 117.

The worst Tube disaster of the war was probably at Balham station where 600 people were drowned when a bomb fractured a water main.

Being underground wasn't as safe an option as you might think but it probably beat the alternatives.

I suppose the follow-up to all this is, are any of these events considered to have produced ghosts?

Spook said:
The worst Tube disaster of the war was probably at Balham station where 600 people were drowned when a bomb fractured a water main.

This is wrong, It was only 64 people. see http://www.balham.com/trivia.htm . This site says the disaster was covered up until after the war. Does anyone know if this is true, I doubt if it would be possible.

This reminds me of that Sapphire and Steele episode again, the only one I ever remember of the old soldier.
Tube station always give me the creeps. I can't imagine being alone in one. *shiver*

ghost dog said:
not that I know of, but sudden tragic deaths are in ghostly terms the common cause.

I imagine many people died in London in such a way during the Blitz. By this logic, London should be full of ghosts from WWII ;)

Mike P said:
This is wrong, It was only 64 people. see http://www.balham.com/trivia.htm . This site says the disaster was covered up until after the war. Does anyone know if this is true, I doubt if it would be possible.

Yeah - the figure always looked very high to me but its taken from the Richard Trench and Ellis Hillman book London Under London and judging by the apparent attention to detail contained in the rest of the book I would have to think twice before questioning it. As the figure is given in numerics I can only think if there is a mistake its a typographical one rather than a lapse in research.

One of the most frightening films has to be the one about a race of people living in catacombs beneath the Underground. They were cannibals who treated commuters like takeways when they felt hungry. The only phrase they knew was: "Shar Dor." A corruption of "Shut the door"????
Surely it would be more realistic to say "mind the gap"

I read a question somewhere by someone who wanted to know it the catacombs existed under the Underground tunnels. Maybe old aquaducts still exist from Roman times? Or am I hopelessly optimistic?

The only phrase they knew was: "Shar Dor." A corruption of "Shut the door"????

They must have snacked on Larry Grayson.:D

lol!

A good story taken from Clive Barker's Books of Blood is 'The Midnight Meat Train'. That sounds much like the film that was described. Its a freaky story, but I just gotta love Barker! :D

nicolachi said:
One of the most frightening films has to be the one about a race of people living in catacombs beneath the Underground. They were cannibals who treated commuters like takeways when they felt hungry. The only phrase they knew was: "Shar Dor." A corruption of "Shut the door"????
Surely it would be more realistic to say "mind the gap"

Review taken from the British Horror Films website

Death Line

Deathline is a true classic, the kind of film that stays with you long after the final credits have rolled, and an entertaining 90 minutes, too. What more could you want from a movie? It's very true that there are few others on this website that fill all those criteria, although a number come close.
Deathline's success is due to a number of factors, not least of which is Donald Pleasance's truly unique performance. The man towers like a collossus above the proceedings, by turns likeable, nasty and bizarre. His Inspector Calhoun is a true one-off, and it's a shame we never saw him again. In the pantheon of crusty old policemen (see just about every other contemporary Brit horror for more details) he is the master.
Deathline is also very violent (the spade in the head segment), extremely nasty (just about any scene featuring "the man"), funny (take another bow, Mr Pleasance), frightening, touching and off-the-wall (the two minute pointless inclusion of Christopher Lee for no good reason other than he was around that day). There's even some spectacular camerawork on display (take a trip with the special effects men as they seamlessly move from the underground charnel house to the bustling Underground station above).
The film starts with some truly bonkers funky music accompanying a bowler hatted pervert's tour of the fleshpots of Soho. He makes his way down to Russell Square tube station, where he immediately gets kicked in the knackers by a non-too-receptive lady. Just when he thinks things can't get any worse, he gets approached by something else...
The first words we hear are "mind the doors", a phrase which is going to echo through the rest of the film, with devastating results.
The perv (who turns out to be James Manfred OBE) is found collapsed on the stairs by swinging young couple Alex and Trisha, but while they go to get help, he disappears.
Enter Inspector Calhoun, who immediately unleashes a barrage of pithy comments at anyone who happens to be within range.
On the state of his cuppa: "Tea bags?! And I've been blaming the Indians..."
On James Manfred OBE: "He's some big shit... shot at the Ministry of Defence."
On another disappearance: "Grocer from Kilburn... look him up." / "Missing persons?" / "No - Who's Who. Twit."
Just to keep the plot moving on, we then get a totally spurious history lesson on Russell Square tube station by Clive "Keeping Up Appearances" Swift, who explains that in 1892 a tunnel collapsed, sealing off a group of workers who were never dug out due to budgetary constraints. This revelation is followed by the famous tracking shot, when, accompanied by the sound of dripping water and heartbeats, we move through a charnel house, past a dodgy-looking man grieving over a dying woman, and backwards along a corridor, the drips turning into the sound of phantom workers, which are cut short by the sound of the roof collapsing. There's silence as the camera comes to rest on the rubble created by the collapse, and then moves on, upwards towards the tube station. Truly brilliant.
But before we have time to give a loud cheer, we're back with the grieving man (long hair and beard, terrible skin problem, known only in the credits as "The Man"), who slices open James Manfred OBE's throat to get some blood to feed the dying woman (yak). So that's the end of him, then.
Meanwhile, Inspector Calhoun and his sidekick Det Sgt Rogers (played by the equally on-form Norman Rossington) are round at Manfred's house, investigating his disappearance, which leads to more brilliant badinage, Calhoun wondering "Anything worth nicking?" and calling Manfred a "suspicious bastard" for locking his drawers. On seeing Manfred's wardrobe, Calhoun comments "I've never paid more than 20 nicker for a suit in my life." to which Rogers drily replies: "There are some who'd say you've been robbed, Inspector."
Cue Christopher Lee's remarkably highly billed two minute cameo as Stratton-Villiers of MI5, who warns Pleasance not to continue with his investigations and "go back to planting pot on people" before disappearing, never to be seen or heard from again. Bizarre.
As the woman in the underground dies, "The Man", howling with grief, picks up a spade. That can't be good, because looking at the state of his underground lair, burying people doesn't seem very high on his list of priorities (it's scattered with half-eaten corpses in various states of decomposition). And we're right to worry, because it's not long at all before an interesting discussion about ham and eggs between three blokes on a dark Underground platform is cut short by the old "spade in the head of the first bloke, broken spade handle through the guts of the second, serious pounding for the third" routine.
A quick investigation of the crime scene reveals some extra blood ("The Man's"), which is not only anaemic but carries The Plague. As Inspector Calhoun and Det Sgt Rogers go off to the pub to "get pissed" for no reason other than it leads to more sparkling dialoge, Trisha gets jumped on the Underground platform and carted off to The Man's lair, where there'll be gory hi-jinks a plenty.
To give a plot resume of Deathline (even a witty one like mine) doesn't really do the film justice. As with most art, the beauty is in the little things - Calhoun and Rogers' interplay, Trisha commenting that she doesn't want to see The French Connection because it's "too violent", the remarkably disgusting scenes in The Man's lair (everything is covered in grime and gore, even the oil lamp he carries).
Despite having little plot to speak of, verything about the film is brilliant, but it has to be seen to be appreciated. Even the ending mixes uncompromising brutality with a strange pathos. There are no winners in Deathline, only survivors. If there is one film any fan of British horror should see, this is it.

And what about the Day Today's news story of an outbreak of horses on the London Underground (which had to be dealt with with 'a special gun')?? ;) :D

Balham Bomb

I use Balham station quite often, the plaque in the entrance give the number of casualties as 64. I think that the number given in London Under London must be a misprint. Its an excellent book by the way, I highly recommend it.

Re: Balham Bomb

Mike P said:
I use Balham station quite often, the plaque in the entrance give the number of casualties as 64. I think that the number given in London Under London must be a misprint. Its an excellent book by the way, I highly recommend it.

I did a quick google last night and found a few sites that mention the incident.

The figures 64 and 68 both appear with reference to the amount of fatalities. 600 was stated on a couple of sites as being the amount of casualties, as opposed to actual fatalities - so this might be where the confusion comes from.

If someone has mensioned thos then shoot me but i havn't time to go through the thread:

There is a haunted underground stastion in glasgow. It's either Bridge Street or West Street (another with more knowlage may be able to help me more.) But anyway it's soposed to be haunted by and old woman who fell under an oncoming train in the Sixties. Sorry, I don't know any more as I said someone with more knowlage...

I heard the story , later found out to be a UL , that a large number of people sheltering from the blitz in an underground station where killed by a bomb - and the station was just sealed up leaving them all inside to this very day . Can't remember which station though I think it was supposed to be near the river .

Marion said:
I heard the story , later found out to be a UL , that a large number of people sheltering from the blitz in an underground station where killed by a bomb - and the station was just sealed up leaving them all inside to this very day . Can't remember which station though I think it was supposed to be near the river .

It could be related to an insident (again I don't have any sources handy so I'll have to be vague) where a bomb shelter had been built with a few corners cut (namely it didn't provide shelter from the blast the power of wich come down the air fluet) and it killed everyone inside leaving the shelter standing.

As I remember it was not an isolated insident as meny of the public shelters where badly built (woops, there goes the we'reallinthistogether myth.) It could be a myth that was born of the supresion of these insidents by the press and goverment and later by historians? Anyone with more info is invited to post.

Actualy I have a book on the Blitz. I'll see if it says anything about this.

THIS SITE has a little information on rumoured ghosts at tube stations, the guy claimed on one visit he heard a womans laugh.

Faldor said:
THIS SITE has a little information on rumoured ghosts at tube stations, the guy claimed on one visit he heard a womans laugh.
To hear someone laughing at a tube station would indeed be eerie.

Deathline?

A bloody fantastic movie! 'The Man' is both pathetic and trully frightening and good old Donald Plesence turns in what may be a carere best.

It's up there with movies like The Wicker Man, Don't Look Now, The Witchfinder General and Peeping Tom as clasics of British horror. Highly recomended.

underghosts

most haunted did a prog about the under ground.
aldwych* station i believe?

and "alegelly there are load of underground stations/platforms which dont officialy exist?) comformanation anyone please?

has anyone seen ghosts on the kingscross station since the fire?

* coruption of "old witch"?,

These stations which "officially don't exist" are mostly ones which were closed in the early 20th century due to a lack of usage. Some were adapted for wartime use as offices and bunkers, etc. At least one (Brompton Road) is still partially in use by the Ministry of Defence. The London Transport Museum used to do tours of some of them, until quite recently. You can find photos quite easily on the web.

This site is superb and has many photos http://www.starfury.demon.co.uk/uground/ (yep, it's the same one Faldor posted above!)

GHOST STATIONS (ABANDONED) ON THE LONDON UNDERGROUND

I don't know if this is really fortean - apart from the many tales of hauntings on old stations and the general spooky atmosphere in the stations - but I thought some of you may by interested in this subject.

There are close to 40 abandoned, disused or replaced stations on the ever-changing London Underground. Many are now just vague memories others are like time capsules cut off and deserted almost exactly the way they used to be.

You may get a glimpse of these stations as you peer out into the gloom of the tunnels as your crammed tube rushes toward piccadilly circus or you may notice seperate tunnels or platforms and staircases as you pull out or arrive at the old cut and cover circle line stations.

If you are brave enough you could go and check out these wonderful sites with their amazing pictures:-

http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Tube/index.html

http://www.starfury.demon.co.uk/uground/index.html

If you are even braver you could attempt to book a tour or bribe LUL to let you have access to some of the more hospitable ones.

In fact seeing as we are destined toward London in April for the Unconvention maybe we could work out some extra-curricular tours for us Fort fans?

I'll see you in time ... :eek!!!!:

Bump! I've got tired of merging threads, so these two I've fused together. Or, since the second carries on where the first left off, we could say we have segued into the second thread.

(I'd better go and take another pill...)

Back