• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tulpas

schnor said:
Two tulpa threads merged :)

there's another Tulpa thread!

It must be all the discusion on this one that brought it about...

yes, it's the blue velvet jacket. Thanks.

Does anyone know anything about inadverdent tulpa creation? IIRC the same woman (mentioned previously a few times, but I still can't remember her name) who created the little monk, accidently created a wolf lying next to her whilst in bed one night. Does that ring any bells or am I misremembering?

Anyway, the idea that these things can be created inadverdently could potentially explain many fortean phenomena. Although it does seem strange to me that something that takes an enormous amount of time and effort to achieve could just accidently "happen".

Thoughts, anyone?

There's a better bio of Alexandra David Neel (including a rather ravishing photo of her in her younger days) here:
http://www.mysteriouspeople.com/Alex_David-Neel.htm

I was lucky enough to pick up a faded copy of Magic and Mystery in Tibet for a fiver recently. Apart from the oft repeated paragraph about Tulpas, there's loads of other Fortean stuff in it. I'll try and post the juiciest bits once I've finished reading it.

Did the T Rex experiment ever get anywhere? :D Although I bet I'd have heard something if it did.

Yeaah.. I've tried tulpa stuff. Don't think I put in the dedication necessary to get a result.
Now maybe if I tried something that a lot of people believe in, like an angel or Nessie or something..

And about the Elvis tulpa.. of course he can be a tulpa, which tulpa is just a copy of a real person. --That'd explain a lot of doppelganger stuff, maybe.. except for the fact that unless you try a lot (it seems), you won't get a tulpa. Maybe certain people can do this unconsciously?

mossy_sloth:
Does anyone know anything about inadverdent tulpa creation? IIRC the same woman (mentioned previously a few times, but I still can't remember her name) who created the little monk, accidently created a wolf lying next to her whilst in bed one night. Does that ring any bells or am I misremembering?

That was Dion Fortune. She wrote about the experience in her book "Psychic Self-Defense", published originally in 1930. It's years since I read it, and I don't have a copy to hand, so I can't give you any direct quotes.
Check out this Amazon link.

Hot_Cross_Nun said:
mossy_sloth:

That was Dion Fortune. She wrote about the experience in her book "Psychic Self-Defense", published originally in 1930. It's years since I read it, and I don't have a copy to hand, so I can't give you any direct quotes.
Check out this Amazon link.

If I recall correctly the wolf thought form was sent as a psychic attack against Fortune by another member of the Golden Dawn.

As I remember it, DF was thinking about someone who had angered or upset her, and somehow accidentally created the wolf thought-form. She managed to banish it before it caused any trouble, though. ("Down, bad dog!" or something!)

Yes. I've been ... damaged by one. Long ago, I'm not willing to supply personal detail.
Tulpas are the kind of thing that in ... untrained hands they are 'wild cards' - quick to die but hard to control.
While interesting in a Fortean manner, Tulpas are not things to mess with, either in the creation or as the victim.

The thought of them scares me, so no way would I try making one. :shock:

Stormkhan said:
Yes. I've been ... damaged by one. Long ago, I'm not willing to supply personal detail.
Tulpas are the kind of thing that in ... untrained hands they are 'wild cards' - quick to die but hard to control.
While interesting in a Fortean manner, Tulpas are not things to mess with, either in the creation or as the victim.

Tell. :D

Nope. Still got the scars which remind me of a past that is ... the past. I only mentioned as a cautionary note.

With all due respect then how can we regard that post with any credability?

Richard Freeman in his book, Dragons, More Than a Myth, discusses his attempts to create a tulpa. While you may not agree with his conclusions he has described in detail what occured and it is certinly interesting.

Tghe problem I have with tulpas is that from everything I have read it would seem that they should be one of the most easily testable areas of Fortena yet few people seem to have done so and provided any credable evidence.

I would be happy to moderate any experiment (proposed) for confirming (or not) said manifestation.

Bistoinferno said:
With all due respect then how can we regard that post with any credability?

Richard Freeman in his book, Dragons, More Than a Myth, discusses his attempts to create a tulpa. While you may not agree with his conclusions he has described in detail what occured and it is certinly interesting.

Tghe problem I have with tulpas is that from everything I have read it would seem that they should be one of the most easily testable areas of Fortena yet few people seem to have done so and provided any credable evidence.

What did occur when he tried to create a tulpa?

Reading one of the links I posted in an earlier post and Alex David Neel said it eventually became lifelike, so are they 2-d like at first?

GadaffiDuck said:
I would be happy to moderate any experiment (proposed) for confirming (or not) said manifestation.

Would you seriously create one? :shock:

Would you be able to take a picture of it?

I'd have a go, can't say whether I'd succeed or not but I'd give it a try.

In regards to Richard Freemans attempt, he described repeddly seeing the shadow of a large spider in the room in which he carried out the experiment. (he was attempting to create a tulpa of a fictional spider god if i remember correctly) He also described an out break out spiders in the area at the same time. Have a look at http://www.cfz.org.uk/ for more disscusion about this attempt or tulpas in genral and how they relate to other areas of Fortena.

Stormkhan, from what I have read it usually takes huge amounts of concentration and ritual to create a tulpa, I genuinly dont understand how a quick internet posting will have any negative consequences. If it will then please explain why as I am really interested.

My experience was over a decade and a half ago.

My experience was one that, with back-story, would take time to relate and, frankly, I only brought it up as a warning note.

It's not how long it would take me to type it onto this thread, it's if I wish to. I do not wish to. I can understand that my 'testimony' is useless, since I will not furnish details. I didn't mention it to present detailed, and possibly 'helpful' evidence. It was just to say I have some experience with such things and it's a very damn stupid thing to experiment with. That said, do what thou wilt, as the Great Charlatan once said.

Good luck and imagine up a woman for the more hornier fortean members. :p

Let me second Stormkhan's warning.

Potentially, we all contain multitudes - lesser things, by defiinition.

We are our own best bet, believe it or not! :imo:

Well I agree with Khan's warning.

How much do they share in personality or simularities to their creator?

There's very few studies, considering the rarity of the phenomenon. Logic would say that the creation would have some of the characteristics of the creator but a tulpa is an independant thought-form and, therefore, should have its own, independant personality.

Back