• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Turkey / Türkiye

I thought for a moment that Canaan Banana, Zimbabwean president who made it illegal to joke about his name, had moved to Turkey. Bananas taste bad with turkey anyway.
:bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas:

I don't know if I'll ever be able to pronounce the new name, what with it being so different to the old one.
Maybe the big man also owns a printing business.

I guess we should just be glad that they didn't go for Torquay instead.
1654174429343.png

What are the native people of Türkiye called?

Does it bugger up the lyrics of the song "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)"

Thankfully, their jurisdiction does not extend beyond their own borders.
Er....what about Cyprus?
After the Turkish invasion in 1974 it got divided up, including a demilitarised buffer zone which is patrolled by the UN.
The northern part is now The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
1654271517904.png

Will the adjective still be "Turkish" though?

Or will a certain much loved confectionary require rebranding?

714mvuUtYmL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Red jelly in chocolate! That stuff isn't much like real Turkish Delight.

I would have thought that Turkey would have chosen a name without a diacritic for international use. It will probably be mostly typed and written without one.

Did you know (I expect you probably did), that Turkey/Turkyi sits across two different continental plates so it is both in Asia and Europe.
It has seas bordering 3 sides of it, plus it also contains a sea.
Istanbul is the largest city with a population of over 14 million, but the Capital is (the much smaller) Ankara, with a pop. of only nearly 5 million.

They can change the Turkish name of the country to whatever they want.

Thankfully, their jurisdiction does not extend beyond their own borders.
The story is about what they're asking the U.N. and other international organizations to call them. This is essentially the same as changing the English name.

You don't hear much talk about Burma these days, do you?

I really do.

I'd go as far as to say it's uncommon that I hear anybody say Myanmar in English!

Ditto Yangon.
That's quite true, everyone I know still calls it Burma, including myself (although I know better).
I sometimes still think of Zimbabwe as Rhodesia probably because I know a few people who were born there and that's how they refer to it. I somehow think Türkiye will still remain Turkey for most.

It can go both ways. We usually say 'Beijing' instead of 'Peking', 'Mumbai' instead of 'Bombay', etc.

It can go both ways. We usually say 'Beijing' instead of 'Peking', 'Mumbai' instead of 'Bombay', etc.

Funny, I was just thinking of how, in French, there seems to be a reluctance to adopt the new place names. French news reports still refer to Pékin instead of Beijing, Calcutta instead of Kolkata and I've heard Ceylon used instead of Sri Lanka. Furthermore, in conversation once, there was some confusion when I referred to Indians, meaning inhabitants of India, whereas the French person thought I was referring to Native Americans and told me that, "pour éviter toute confusion il vaut mieux les appeler les hindus" (to avoid any confusion it's best just to call them Hindus). I tried to explain that Hinduism is a religion and there are plenty of Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Christians and Muslims in India too, but he was adamant about usage of the term Indians.

Which brings us to 'Istanbul, not Constantinople'.
In which the lyrics say;
"Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way"

Oh and by the way....it had previously been called Byzantium, but I don't think that ever gets mentioned.

Funny, I was just thinking of how, in French, there seems to be a reluctance to adopt the new place names. French news reports still refer to Pékin instead of Beijing, Calcutta instead of Kolkata and I've heard Ceylon used instead of Sri Lanka. Furthermore, in conversation once, there was some confusion when I referred to Indians, meaning inhabitants of India, whereas the French person thought I was referring to Native Americans and told me that, "pour éviter toute confusion il vaut mieux les appeler les hindus" (to avoid any confusion it's best just to call them Hindus). I tried to explain that Hinduism is a religion and there are plenty of Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Christians and Muslims in India too, but he was adamant about usage of the term Indians.
The matter can also be quite subtle. The English name for the place where I live, Hong Kong, doesn't particularly accurately reflect the pronunciation of the place name in any current Chinese language (It's something like 'Heung Gong' in Cantonese, the main language spoken here). Some Chinese academics have suggested it's more appropriate to call the place by its Mandarin name, Xianggang, but most of the people living here would find that to be highly politicised and inappropriate. (Mandarin Chinese is not generally spoken as a first language here and Cantonese is important to local identity)

The same kind of erasure may have already happened elsewhere in China - the old English name for Xiamen, Amoy, is an interpretation of the local Hokkien pronunciation of the name. In cases like this, is using the Mandarin name more authentic?

A Turkish colleague told me this story

In short, the streets of Istanbul were full of stray dogs until 1910, when the government rounded 80,000 of them up and dumped them on the nearby barren island of Sivriada. There they were heard to howl for a few weeks before they all died from cannibalism, starvation, or drowning. An earthquake soon afterwards (not mentioned in the article above but is on wikipedia) and other unfortunate events were seen as divine retribution for the city's cruelty and to this day the island is known as 'Hayırsızada' (the inauspicious island).

A Turkish colleague told me this story

In short, the streets of Istanbul were full of stray dogs until 1910, when the government rounded 80,000 of them up and dumped them on the nearby barren island of Sivriada. There they were heard to howl for a few weeks before they all died from cannibalism, starvation, or drowning. An earthquake soon afterwards (not mentioned in the article above but is on wikipedia) and other unfortunate events were seen as divine retribution for the city's cruelty and to this day the island is known as 'Hayırsızada' (the inauspicious island).

If Isle of Dogs had been directed by Wes Craven rather than by Wes Anderson that might have been the plot.

Isle of Dogs (film)​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Dogs_(film)

Back