• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Turkish Televangelist Sentenced To 1,075 Years For Sex Crimes

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Oktar has featured here before for his Creationist views. He has received a biblical length sentence which Methuselah would be lucky to live out. Sex and money brought him down.

Turkish televangelist sentenced to 1,075 years for sex crimes

Adnan Oktar was detained in 2018 along with more than 200 other suspects in his group

A Turkish court has sentenced a Muslim televangelist who surrounded himself with scantily clad women he called “kittens” to more than 1,000 years in jail for sex crimes.

Adnan Oktar preached creationism and conservative values while women in revealing outfits – many of whom appeared to have had plastic surgery – danced around him to upbeat music in the TV studio. The bearded 64-year-old was detained in 2018 along with more than 200 other suspects as part of a crackdown on his group by the financial crimes unit of the Istanbul police.

He was sentenced to 1,075 years for crimes including sexual assault, sexual abuse of minors, fraud and attempted political and military espionage, the private NTV broadcaster reported. The court also sentenced two executives in Oktar’s organisation, Tarkan Yavas and Oktar Babuna, to 211 and 186 years, respectively.

The official Anadolu news agency reported that Oktar was additionally found guilty of aiding a group led by US-based Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen that Turkey blames for staging a failed coup attempt in 2016. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...gelist-sentenced-to-1075-years-for-sex-crimes

I guess if it was done under the lax British judicial system he'd only be tried for the provable 'Outraging Public Decency' and receive a fine of around £500, which he could appeal against.
By comparison, 1,075 years in the clink seems a little harsh.

I guess if it was done under the lax British judicial system he'd only be tried for the provable 'Outraging Public Decency' and receive a fine of around £500, which he could appeal against.
By comparison, 1,075 years in the clink seems a little harsh.

Sentences are often only half served if the prisoner behaves well.

They should show leniency and give him a more reasonable 537.5 years.

Sentences are often only half served if the prisoner behaves well.
Not always so in England.
There are 'whole life' terms, which are only ever revised with a separate judicial review.
And other sentences are usually meted out (currently) under a system known as 'tariff', whereby a prisoner is due for parole (early release) once the 'tariff' (minumum term) has been served.
The 'tariff' can be decided by the judge who rules on the original case, taking into consideration such factors as the length of time already served in custody or 'on remand', whether or not the defendant has shown remorse or not, or accepted guilt or not, etc etc.
So in England, Adnan Oktar might get (at worst);
Sexual Assault - 10 years
Sexual Abuse of Minors - 14 years
Fraud - 10 years

But 'Espionage' of any sort, even 'attempted' is the one that could carry the highest sentence.
Traditionally, both 'Treason' and 'Espionage' have carried the worst sentences, in fact the 'death' sentence was still applicable for 'Treason' up until the end of capital punishment in England in 1998!

I would expect though that any Judge in England would be needing to have sound cases for prosecution on all of these counts, and the details of the offences that I have read for Adnan Oktar don't seem entirely water-tight.
At worst I would think that if he were found guilty by trial in England, Adnan Oktar would most likely be sentenced towards the lower end of the available terms. And due to the way sentencing is applied here, they would be likely to run concurrently, so poor old Adnan would probably be going down for an 8 year stretch with a 'tariff' of 5 years, and that would probably be reduced to a 'tariff' of 2.5 years on appeal.

...So in England, Adnan Oktar might get (at worst);
Sexual Assault - 10 years
Sexual Abuse of Minors - 14 years
Fraud - 10 years...

I don't think it's quite as simple as the sentencing guidelines suggest. For instance, Ray Teret got 25 years - Gary Glitter, 16.

The rules for the application of concurrent and consecutive sentences are not - as far as I'm aware - hard and fast in England, and a certain amount of leeway is left to the courts.

I'm also pretty sure that in the case of concurrent sentences, even though these in theory run at the same time, the overall sentence is often longer than the recommended longest for the most serious offence in the group, based on a principle called 'totality'. I think.

Oktar has featured here before for his Creationist views. He has received a biblical length sentence which Methuselah would be lucky to live out. Sex and money brought him down.

Turkish televangelist sentenced to 1,075 years for sex crimes

Adnan Oktar was detained in 2018 along with more than 200 other suspects in his group

A Turkish court has sentenced a Muslim televangelist who surrounded himself with scantily clad women he called “kittens” to more than 1,000 years in jail for sex crimes.

Adnan Oktar preached creationism and conservative values while women in revealing outfits – many of whom appeared to have had plastic surgery – danced around him to upbeat music in the TV studio. The bearded 64-year-old was detained in 2018 along with more than 200 other suspects as part of a crackdown on his group by the financial crimes unit of the Istanbul police.

He was sentenced to 1,075 years for crimes including sexual assault, sexual abuse of minors, fraud and attempted political and military espionage, the private NTV broadcaster reported. The court also sentenced two executives in Oktar’s organisation, Tarkan Yavas and Oktar Babuna, to 211 and 186 years, respectively.

The official Anadolu news agency reported that Oktar was additionally found guilty of aiding a group led by US-based Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen that Turkey blames for staging a failed coup attempt in 2016. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...gelist-sentenced-to-1075-years-for-sex-crimes
The world will certainly be a different place when he is released haha :p

I don't think it's quite as simple as the sentencing guidelines suggest.
Indeed.
Which is why I did liberally pepper my piece upthread with (eg) 'can', 'usually', and 'would'......Sentencing guidelines are indeed just that - guidelines.
Lots of factors get taken into consideration, including (but not limited to) the factors I already mentioned.
But moreover I was underlining the fact that the possibility of "show leniency and give him a more reasonable 537.5 years" would still be a tad excessive under English law.

After seeing Mr Oktar's photo in the latest FT... so that's what happened to David Gest.

Among his teachings were that bikinis were a form of Islamic veil and vodka was exempt from Islamic prohibition! Nice try! Oh, wait, not nice at all...

But moreover I was underlining the fact that the possibility of "show leniency and give him a more reasonable 537.5 years" would still be a tad excessive under English law.

I'm always puzzled by these huge sentences. What is the actual point in sentencing someone for a term 10 times longer than they could possibly be expected to live? Whatever the crime that's being punished, it just seems like a vaguely obscene demonstration of power by the judiciary.

Surely, life in prison, without possibility of parole if necessary, is perfectly adequate?

On that general subject, I can't help wondering what is the longest sentence given where a prisoner has been subsequently paroled (as opposed to pardoned)?

Surely, life in prison, without possibility of parole if necessary, is perfectly adequate?

The punishment isn't just for the convicted - it's to show how bad society thinks what they did is, and to give some solace to the victims as well.

I think...

The punishment isn't just for the convicted - it's to show how bad society thinks what they did is, and to give some solace to the victims as well.

I think...

I get it - kind of - but it almost makes justice take on a gleeful turn. It's as if, back in the bad old days of capital punishment, someone had been sentenced to be hanged, and then shot, and then beheaded, and then killed another 5 or 6 times.

It's as if, back in the bad old days of capital punishment, someone had been sentenced to be hanged, and then shot, and then beheaded, and then killed another 5 or 6 times.

yes, I prefer the stuff done in my name to be less personal.

I'm always puzzled by these huge sentences. What is the actual point in sentencing someone for a term 10 times longer than they could possibly be expected to live? Whatever the crime that's being punished, it just seems like a vaguely obscene demonstration of power by the judiciary.
Surely, life in prison, without possibility of parole if necessary, is perfectly adequate? ...
In many cases the extraordinary lengths of prescribed imprisonment were designed to prevent the possibility of parole (commutation; etc.) in a given jurisdiction. Such jurisdictions were typically those in which parole couldn't be sought until a certain fraction or percentage of the overall sentence had been served. Other factors manipulated to ensure "life means lifelong" include such things as number of convictions and level of severity of the offenses for which the person was convicted.

In the USA some jurisdictions don't provide for a simple "life without parole" sentence in the first place. In some others parole has been partially or entirely eliminated. In most states there are complications relating to whether a sentence was handed down before or after the 199X mandatory minimum time served statutes went into effect.

A court in Turkey has sentenced a televangelist, who surrounded himself with young women he referred to as his "kittens", to 8,658 years in prison.

Adnan Oktar, who has been described as a cult leader, was convicted of sexual assault and abuse of minors.

Oktar, 66, fronted his own television channel, through which he delivered religious sermons.

He is a fierce opponent of the theory of evolution, and wrote a widely mocked book on creationism.

He was originally given a jail sentence of 1,075 years but an appeal court ordered a retrial involving 215 defendants.

Ten of them were also given 8,658 years in prison by the court in Istanbul. Many of the other defendants were given shorter terms.

Oktar and hundreds of his followers were arrested in 2018 from his home on a litany of charges, including running a criminal organisation, tax offences, sexual abuse, and counter-terrorism laws.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63668818

Hopefully, the 1,075 will run consecutively with the 8,658. :rofl:

maximus otter

Back