• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

TV Broadcasts From The Future & Phantom Websites

Never heard of him till you replied ;)
Met him once when he rather randomly did a talk at an Edinburgh hotel. Got one of his books signed and it has a sticker on the cover with their new logo but you can still see the swastika through the sticker!

I prefer to use a transmatter mist.

I just want you to know that this spoonerism is delightful and also that I spent way too long amusing myself with "hmm, would a trans-matter mist be a medium across which substance information is sent? If so, is a fiber optic cable a transmatter solid? Or is it a question of a mist that transcends matter--"

I was the original poster of this phenomenon some years back and watched the same broadcast as you describe.

As has been attested by others this was,in fact, an advertisement for a bank. It seemed to cut into another ad and featured a female (oriental) claiming to be "from the future" and the viewer was then treated to heavily pixelated scenes of high rises, elevated bullet trains and objects whizzing around in the sky. It then faded back out and normal viewing returned. I was a student at the time and had just rented a TV for my room so I was watching with a friend in my room...we looked at each other and exclaimed "what the f**ck"

I was wrong in recalling it cutting into the main show, as I was wrong to remember it as being on ad free BBC 1.

After the report was printed in FT some others were quick to reply that I had seen an ad for, I think, egg who were positioning themselves a the futuristic bank.

This happened, without doubt, in 1989 or early 1990. It's great to see this still talked about all this time later.

I am also pretty sure that Jenny Randles mentioned it in her book on timestorms but, I am certain, there was no backwards communication from the distant future.

Was it this one

Thank you! I have watched that about ten times and while it's not quite remember, I reckon you've found it.

The details I'm missing are an image of a small child on the banks of the Nile (palm trees etc) watching the Flying Boat coming in to land on the river. The only sounds are a voice talking reminiscently and the whump whump whump of the propellors.

Perhaps this is from something else that I've mixed up with the Nationwide advert. I'm surprised The Stranglers aren't in there too! :chuckle:

Back in the 1970s, US television shows would go into repeats during the summer months (typically returning with new episodes in September). Sometimes, in lieu of repeats, they would broadcast summer replacements, which were series that, for whatever reason, never made the regular schedule. They typically had only a handful of episodes and these were shown to allow the network to recoup some of their investment.

I recall one show in particular that aired briefly in the summer of 1974 or 75. It involved a man who had "died" on the operating table but was sent back so that he could right wrongs and help people in need. I have no recollection of the show title or the name of the person who starred in the show - only that he was (at the time) featured in a series of Mazda car commercials. There were maybe 3-4 weekly episodes but the only plot I remember involved a golem of some kind.

Long-story short, there appears to be absolutely no trace and no memory of this show. I have looked in books, scanned numerous websites, even contacted TV Guide magazine, but no one seems to have any recollection of such a show. I can understand that, perhaps, none of the episodes are still in existence. But you would think there would be some record, somewhere, of it having been on the air.

Does this show ring a bell for anyone?

S
Was it this:-
Kolchak: The Night Stalker is an American television series that aired on ABC during the 1974–1975 season. The series followed wire service reporter Carl Kolchak (Darren McGavin) who investigates mysterious crimes with unlikely causes, particularly those involving the supernatural or science fiction, including fantastic creatures. The series was preceded by the two television movies, The Night Stalker (1972) and The Night Strangler (1973). Although the series lasted only a single season, it rapidly achieved cult status and has remained very popular in syndication.

... I recall one show in particular that aired briefly in the summer of 1974 or 75. It involved a man who had "died" on the operating table but was sent back so that he could right wrongs and help people in need. I have no recollection of the show title or the name of the person who starred in the show - only that he was (at the time) featured in a series of Mazda car commercials. There were maybe 3-4 weekly episodes but the only plot I remember involved a golem of some kind. ...

The 1974 / 1975 timeframe is correct for Kolchak: The Night Stalker. However, the specific stories mentioned here come from two entirely different, but related, productions. These are two made-for-TV movies that aired in 1977 and 1978. These movies were allegedly intended to serve as pilots for a TV series about a man who'd died on the operating table but 'came back', but the series never materialized. Both starred the same actor playing the same central character.

The second (1978) movie involved a golem.

The World of Darkness (1977)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306238/

The World Beyond (1978)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235068/

The 1974 / 1975 timeframe is correct for Kolchak: The Night Stalker. However, the specific stories mentioned here come from two entirely different, but related, productions. These are two made-for-TV movies that aired in 1977 and 1978. These movies were allegedly intended to serve as pilots for a TV series about a man who'd died on the operating table but 'came back', but the series never materialized. Both starred the same actor playing the same central character.

The second (1978) movie involved a golem.

The World of Darkness (1977)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306238/

The World Beyond (1978)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235068/
Still Kolchak sounds like it was quite fortean

Still Kolchak sounds like it was quite fortean

It certainly was. The series included an episode involving a golem, among other things.

Back