• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

TV Licensing: The Stated Facts, In Black-And-White

Yup, I had a telly, and a video recorder when they came a calling, i let them in, they saw there was no ariel (not sure how to spell that) outside and none to the back of my telly and they said thank you and left, all i get now is an email every so often asking if i still dont require a licence

Yup, I had a telly, and a video recorder when they came a calling, i let them in, they saw there was no ariel (not sure how to spell that) outside and none to the back of my telly and they said thank you and left, all i get now is an email every so often asking if i still dont require a licence
Somebody I knew (who is an electronics geek) removed the receiver circuitry from their TV and wired it up so it would only use a video input. Then they invited the licence people round, gave them a demonstration, showed them that there were no other TVs.
They were able to avoid paying for a TV licence.

When my daughter moved into her first house we were helping and there was a knock
at the door it was the bloody tv lot asking if she had a licence, hadn't even got the dam
thing plugged in.

When my daughter moved into her first house we were helping and there was a knock
at the door it was the bloody tv lot asking if she had a licence, hadn't even got the dam
thing plugged in.
Buggers aren't they! :chuckle:

Many, many years ago, long before Capita took on TV licence chasing, I used to get paid overtime to go round knocking on doors.

On one occasion after establishing there wasn't a valid licence I'd cautioned the 'customer' and started taking down his details. It was rather awkward when I asked his occupation. He was a police officer. Oops. :cool:
He wasn't the only one I encountered.

On the other hand there were people who really were struggling and it was hard to have to go through the process with them.

Many, many years ago, long before Capita took on TV licence chasing, I used to get paid overtime to go round knocking on doors.

On one occasion after establishing there wasn't a valid licence I'd cautioned the 'customer' and started taking down his details. It was rather awkward when I asked his occupation. He was a police officer. Oops. :cool:

On the other hand there were people who really were struggling and it was hard to have to go through the process with them.
Back in the days of wireless licences my parents were once served with a summons for not having one. It was delivered on the doorstep by a policeman who laughed at my mother's distress.

He said 'Don't worry, Love! All your neighbours have them too!' and waved a big wad of paperwork. :chuckle:

I seem to to recall that wireless licences cost 25 shillings when I started work at the GPO.
Why does this post have a 'Report' box immediately under the text?

I clicked it thinking it referred to a news report about TV licences! :chuckle:

At one time you used to have to have a radio licence for your car, not that I think anyone
ever bought one and that's likely why they died out.
We had a thing called Relay this was a loudspeaker in a wooden box with a volume control
and a station selector, as this was wired not radio it got round the radio licence but you had
to pay a subscription, it must have made sense as many had them.
:omr:

Why does this post have a 'Report' box immediately under the text?

I clicked it thinking it referred to a news report about TV licences! :chuckle:
We all have one, is this a new thing? As half the time I notice nothing

We had a thing called Relay this was a loudspeaker in a wooden box with a volume control
and a station selector, as this was wired not radio it got round the radio licence but you had
to pay a subscription, it must have made sense as many had them.
:omr:
Rediffusion did something like that for providing TV services in rural areas. My Nan in Wales had that. She had a station selector switch on her window sill next to the telly.

I lived In a flat with 2 others for a few years and we never had a TV licence, we once got a fine of £70, but considering the licence was about £100 a year at the time, £70 for 3 years was a bargain

Here's @Erinaceus's post with the extra 'report' button -

Two report buttons.jpeg

The extra button directly under the text is functional.
Wassat about then?

Back