TV & Movie Clichés

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
...shooting locks in doors to gain access. That's got to be bollocks hasn't it? I would have thought that if you put a bullet into a lock then even a locksmith wouldn't be able to open it.
I've already replied to this, but today I visited a shooting blog that I haven't read in weeks, the excellent The Box of Truth. The initial thrust of the blog was trying out different ammunition types against various sorts of obstacles, though he does digress in interesting ways.

In one of his posts he tries everything from a 9mm pistol up to a 12 bore with slugs against padlocks. Read and enjoy.

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
:wcry:
Well then, how about some Chuck Norris?

Here is Chuck fighting an unstoppable super-zombie.
(And in the interest of "feminism" or whatever, there is also some well-meaning chick doing her best to help.)

The zombie apocalypse did once happen but Chuck Norris leathered all of them before we all woke up. Fact.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Bruce Lee kicked Chuck's ass in Way of the Dragon, when Chuck had a fitted carpet of chest and back hair. Somehow this deep shag pile had disappeared by the 80s, when he was at Cannon. So anyone who thinks Chuck was some impossibly macho tough guy has to bear that element of vain male grooming in mind.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Bruce Lee kicked Chuck's ass in Way of the Dragon, when Chuck had a fitted carpet of chest and back hair. Somehow this deep shag pile had disappeared by the 80s, when he was at Cannon. So anyone who thinks Chuck was some impossibly macho tough guy has to bear that element of vain male grooming in mind.
That would be around the time he brought out a range of pot scourers :)

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
I heard it that Chuck's Chest hair actually went to fight off an alien invasion in 1982 and that's why you don't see it.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Crossing rickety bridges and getting stuck with heart stopping results. The mishap usually takes the form of a foot or truck wheel going through a rotten plank of wood. The bridge has to be set in a third world country and always spans a vast ravine.

Related to the loose/missing step fleeing the basement in horror films or the seesaw car perched over the edge of a cliff in Thrillers.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Crossing rickety bridges and getting stuck with heart stopping results. The mishap usually takes the form of a foot or truck wheel going through a rotten plank of wood. The bridge has to be set in a third world country and always spans a vast ravine.

Related to the loose/missing step fleeing the basement in horror films or the seesaw car perched over the edge of a cliff in Thrillers.
Wages of Fear turned that into cinema gold. Sorcerer, its remake, was excellent too.

Wages of Fear turned that into cinema gold. Sorcerer, its remake, was excellent too.
I only saw Sorcerer recently and was quite impressed by it. It deserved to do better at the boxoffice. I'd like to see it on the big screen, hopefully I will at some film festival.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I love the Wages of Fear but have never seen Sorcerer. For a long time, it was regarded as a "lost" film, tied up with ownership, music and rights issues which prevented it being seen. Those seem to have been resolved now.

Friedkin is in the news, at the moment, for another exorcism-themed movie. I prefer to think of him as the director of The French Connection, which would promise better for the action aspects of his Wages of Fear remake. :popc:

Bigphoot2

I love the Wages of Fear but have never seen Sorcerer. For a long time, it was regarded as a "lost" film, tied up with ownership, music and rights issues which prevented it being seen. Those seem to have been resolved now.

Friedkin is in the news, at the moment, for another exorcism-themed movie. I prefer to think of him as the director of The French Connection, which would promise better for the action aspects of his Wages of Fear remake. :popc:
A restored version is out on blu-ray and very good it is too. The film might have been a bigger hit if only it hadn't come out at the same time as a certain film called Star Wars.

Friedkin has actually expressed interest in directing a Bond film. Apparently Cubby Broccoli turned him down because he thought Friedkin would only be interested in directing the "acting moments"!

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/ja...kin-i-would-love-to-direct-a-james-bond-film/

GNC

King-Sized Canary

Sorcerer is a rare example of a remake being as good as the original. Maybe the source was too good to mess up when it fell into the right hands?

Friedkin's new doc is supposedly to be hilariously trashy, according to one review I read. But that's for another thread.

Bigphoot2

I was watching The Omega Man the other night and it struck me that when our hero is the only human left in a world full rampaging mutant/vampire/zombies, their chosen mode of transport is an open topped sports car. If I was in that situation I'd want a bloody big tank or some other armoured vehicle bursting at the seams with big guns.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I was watching The Omega Man the other night and it struck me that when our hero is the only human left in a world full rampaging mutant/vampire/zombies, their chosen mode of transport is an open topped sports car. If I was in that situation I'd want a bloody big tank or some other armoured vehicle bursting at the seams with big guns.
And his choice of viewing is Woodstock - Chuckles Heston watching Woodstock every night! I suppose it was science fiction.

Another one I've spotted a few times recently in sitcoms: a person or persons furtively smoking indoors suddenly hears the approaching footsteps of someone who will subject them to a colossal bollocking (usually a boss, parent, or health-freak partner - or in a hospital setting a doctor or nurse). In the space of about five seconds they quickly extinguish the cigarettes and wave their hand in the air a couple of times to disperse the fug. The authority figure enters the room and is completely unable to detect anything untoward. The same applies to 'jazz cigarettes' in your racier productions.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Chuck Norris is so tough his sack, back and crack hairs ran away.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
You know those barriers at checkpoints in roads or at the entrance to private car parks, the ones with the stripes on them? Invest in those because every time they're in a film or TV show, someone will drive their vehicle through them at high speed, whereupon they break away as if they were made of balsa wood. They have to be continually replaced, so the business supplying them must be well in the money.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
The affiliated cliche is that vehicle grilles and windshields are never damaged by driving through such a swing-away gate.

The balsa wood analogy raises a good point. I've always wondered what materials they used to make the prop gates so that they'd disintegrate so easily.

I was watching a 70's-era private eye show some weeks ago, in which a car broke through one of those parking lot gates. I swear some of the fragments fluttered so lightly in mid-air they appeared to be styrofoam.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
What I'm worried about is someone trying it in real life...

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Just a quicky, but its a lil metal one