TV & Movie Clichés

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
All small US towns are beautiful, leafy and scenic.

Each has one gorgeous, recently-single woman, who’s fleeing an abusive husband/memories of an acrimonious divorce.

Despite being boracic, she’ll find a delightful fixer-upper that’s within her budget.

It will be one white picket fence away from the neighbour: a quiet, unassuming, self-deprecating, intelligent, handsome, feminist single man.

She will redecorate the entire house in one five-minute montage, wearing cute $500 dungarees.

The only effect that said process has on her immaculate grooming will be an adorable paint smudge on one cheek.

Having turned the house into something from Country Living in one day, she will then relax with a glass of wine.

At this point the neighbour will happen upon her, due to some unlikely, light-hearted plot contrivance.

Romance will blossom over witty bants.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Roland Deschain

All things serve the beam
Reaction score
No matter how talented someone is at bomb-disposal, it will always take them til the large red countdown clock says 0.01 to successfully defuse the bomb.
And nobody ever just pulls the detonator out of the explosive even though it’s all exposed and would be the easiest thing to do.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Each has one gorgeous, recently-single woman, who’s fleeing an abusive husband/memories of an acrimonious divorce.

Despite being boracic, she’ll find a delightful fixer-upper that’s within her budget.

It will be one white picket fence away from the neighbour: a quiet, unassuming, self-deprecating, intelligent, handsome, feminist single man.

She will redecorate the entire house in one five-minute montage, wearing cute $500 dungarees.

The only effect that said process has on her immaculate grooming will be an adorable paint smudge on one cheek.

Having turned the house into something from Country Living in one day, she will then relax with a glass of wine.

At this point the neighbour will happen upon her, due to some unlikely, light-hearted plot contrivance.

maximus otter
Exactly like Blue Velvet, save for the disembodied ear, ants... okay, maybe not quite the same...

Roland Deschain

All things serve the beam
Reaction score

maximus otter
You can add multiple endings though
  • He gets incurable disease and passes away - sad chick flick
  • They presumably live happily ever after - chick flick
  • The lovely guy suddenly becomes an unhinged maniac who stalks her - horror flick
  • The lovely guy has a hidden history which catches up with him/them - thriller

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

maximus otter
A similar version has the city career woman rock up in white picket fence land, either with the intention of disposing of said fixer upper which she has inherited from a distant and/or estranged relative OR because her business has sent her to picket fence town to organise tearing down the beloved town cinema/baseball park/historic something or other, because you know, development $$$.
However she meets a young, handsome, single parent widower, who happens to be her neighbour/runs the cinema/coaches little league. Eventually his cute child and his home cooked meals and his sad daddy charm, will win her over and she will see the error of her ways and see there is nothing more important than quiet home towne life.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
Could have gone in the science fiction version but applies to horror and thrillers too

Anyone with a science degree can do autopsies, make vaccines, create computer simulation models in makeshift labs no matter what degree they have.

My wife had a very good degree in microbiology but can do f all with it.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Could have gone in the science fiction version but applies to horror and thrillers too

Anyone with a science degree can do autopsies, make vaccines, create computer simulation models in makeshift labs no matter what degree they have.

My wife had a very good degree in microbiology but can do f all with it.
Apart from brewing superb beer!

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
probably been mentioned before...

when hackers/nerds/tech people are using a keyboard they just type. never use a mouse.

now as a tech dunce i'll concede perhaps that is correct, i don't know, but why are all and any computers they use so superfast? maybe a hackers own unit, but i'd like to see anyone try that on my machine. 'right i've hacked her stupidly simple passwords and now, oh hang on, pop up. ok so now, oh, security run? ok cancel that, so now i'm going to, wait, whats its doing? still loading? omg this is a peice of crap'.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
probably been mentioned before...

when hackers/nerds/tech people are using a keyboard they just type. never use a mouse.

now as a tech dunce i'll concede perhaps that is correct, i don't know, but why are all and any computers they use so superfast? maybe a hackers own unit, but i'd like to see anyone try that on my machine. 'right i've hacked her stupidly simple passwords and now, oh hang on, pop up. ok so now, oh, security run? ok cancel that, so now i'm going to, wait, whats its doing? still loading? omg this is a peice of crap'.
Don't forget they have to wear glasses so the screen is reflected in the lenses.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The entire cliche of the homeowner telling the delivery person to "just leave it at the door", complete with the requisite strange look from the delivery person, to indicate how weird/serial killer the homeowner is, well coronavirus has knocked that one right out.

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Reaction score
*In a fight in an Action Movie - the combatants will either be killed outright or will survive with scarcely a scratch. Nobody will break an arm or leg, let alone get blinded or suffer amputation.*

* On similar lines: cops in any crime show will always end up showing that they can handle themselves in any physical show down, no matter how unexpected it may be. No matter how soft looking, pretty, old or young, unfit looking or comedically hopeless they seem at first - if something physical kicks off, they will be very quick to get their opponent pinioned on the floor with his arms behind his back. This is because Cops Are The Good Guys and Must Never Be Shown to be Vulnerable. (A surprising existing stereotype, but one still very much out there).

* A drunken man will always carry a half drunk bottle of Scotch in one hand.

*A variation on the above: when a young male protagonist in a thriller, suffers the sudden death of his putative lover - he will be shown sitting, legs splayed out, on the kitchen floor where the cooking area is (never on a sofa or on a bed) and will be holding the regulation half drunk bottle of (expensive looking) Scotch in one hand.

*In a thriller which has a domestic focus, the couple who become the focus of the action will invariably be living in a plush out of town residence - and yet we never seem to see them do any work to afford this kind of lifestyle.Or if the director or scriptwritwer does feel a need to indicate that they do in fact work - then the man (usually the man, but sometimes a the woman) will be glimpsed in front of a laptop with a furrowed brow and cup of coffee at hand. He may turn down a relaxing event complaining that he has to finish `these reports`. Alternatively s/he will be shown having a stressed phone converation with someone about `the accounts` and the urgency of a certain `deadline`.

*I do note that the James Bond franchise, of all things, has of late made some attempt to address this particular cliche' by showing post -fight scratched faces and even arms in slings - but it's all a bit token.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Even the lowliest of street thugs are highly skilled martial artists.

An injured main character will get themselves out of a hospital bed half an hour after waking up in icu and go back to work, usually running round, driving etc.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Reaction score
If you are ex special forces be prepared to be betrayed by one of your former brother in arms. He'll have lost all morality and is now just in it for the money. This will come as a major shock to you.

He will likely off one or two of your other mutual buddies too and/or kill your wife which will probably result in post #947 (see above).

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If you are ex special forces be prepared to be betrayed by one of your former brother in arms. He'll have lost all morality and is now just in it for the money. This will come as a major shock to you.

He will likely off one or two of your other mutual buddies too and/or kill your wife which will probably result in post #947 (see above).
Or be having a torrid affair with your wife...

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
*A variation on the above: when a young male protagonist in a thriller, suffers the sudden death of his putative lover - he will be shown sitting, legs splayed out, on the kitchen floor where the cooking area is (never on a sofa or on a bed) and will be holding the regulation half drunk bottle of (expensive looking) Scotch in one hand.

hehe. i turned over the tv last night, it was the start of an episode of something from the law and order stable. and the above scenario was on screen at that exact moment. not only that, but it had the obligatory, 'phone ringing and being ignored'.

later we had the 'aren't you still on leave?' line.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Whilst hoovering the months old layer of dust, bits of tissues and biscuit crumbs under my bed, it made me think how
On police proceedural tv when they are conducting a search or csi-ing someone's home, it is either spotless or a hovel.
Never in between. Not basically clean and tidy but the junk drawer really needs a sort and we never rescued those cotton buds that fell behind the dressing table.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
The most important clue detectives will find at the scene of a crime won't be fingerprints or DNA it'll be a book of matches from a nightclub. That nightclub will be the source of information that will help crack the case.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The most important clue detectives will find at the scene of a crime won't be fingerprints or DNA it'll be a book of matches from a nightclub. That nightclub will be the source of information that will help crack the case.
Because every nightclub has their own branded books of matches.