TV & Movie Clichés

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Perpetrators of pernicious conspiracies are fastidious in leaving a world-encircling trail of encrypted clues documenting their plans, each of which can be decrypted in approximately 2 minutes.
... And all the elements of these clue trails are derived from or framed with respect to western European and Christian memes and themes, no matter when or by whom the clues originated.

Timelord2u

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
This may have been done before, if so, I apologize. Please add if you have new ideas!

Grocery shopping is always in brown paper bags with either (but never both!) a bread stick or a bunch of celery sticking out.

People on the phone never say goodbye.

Arranging a date, no-one says where or when, they just turn up at the right place and time.

Car park - they always find one right away.

Female characters being chased will always trip over and hurt their ankle.

No-one wakes up with bed hair or morning breath.

People only drink red wine.

Villains are English and posh.
Also why is it that people investigating isolated ,dark room always call out "is anyone there". If you are an intruder ,are you really going to stand up ,shout surprise and advertise your presence

IamSundog

Not insane
Reaction score
When an outsider walks into a noisy crowded bar and says the wrong thing, the place goes instantly quiet. Conversation in the far corners and even the musicians on stage (or the song on the jukebox) all cease at the same moment.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Anyone who owns a small business operating from a railway arch is a bad 'un.
Did you see the first series of Prime Suspect, where the police go into the lock-up? They stare at something high up on the wall. Very cleverly done.

feinman

Only human skeptics will be probed..
Reaction score
I loved Prime Suspect and Cracker, too.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When someone has prescription meds that they don't want to take any more they tip the pills down the toilet.
That stuff ain't cheap! Just put it away in the cabinet.
(This is more common in american shows as uk meds usually come in blister packs. Its not very visually dramatic to have someone slowly popping out a tablet one at a time).

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Any man in a drama who walks into the bathroom while his wife is in (a usually very bubbly) bath will pause, lean on the door frame and smile lovingly at her.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
If I was and I had and she did then I would.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Whenever a film starts with a group of irritating, whiny young people, you just know that most of them are going to die horribly.
They're depicted as being horrible so we have no empathy with them when the monster/alien/serial killer/whatever starts picking them off.
You really need to watch the comedy splatter film Tucker and Dale Vs Evil .. it celebrates these clichés ..

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
You really need to watch the comedy splatter film Tucker and Dale Vs Evil .. it celebrates these clichés ..
I am a big fan of that film!

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
In American psychiatric institutions, the staff are always made up of female nurses in immaculate white nursing uniforms and black gentlemen who are dressed in white shirts, trousers with dickie bow ties.

Also, they are given the drug Thorazine for everything, although that seems to be dying out these days.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
In American psychiatric institutions, the staff are always made up of female nurses in immaculate white nursing uniforms and black gentlemen who are dressed in white shirts, trousers with dickie bow ties.

Also, they are given the drug Thorazine for everything, although that seems to be dying out these days.
I've probably mentioned this before -

When a horrific thing happens in a hospital (for example in the first Salem's Lot miniseries ) the female nurse first on the scene will put her hands to her face and scream. Having worked in hospitals I agree that this is probably a sensible reaction to the mountain of paperwork that will follow.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I've probably mentioned this before -

When a horrific thing happens in a hospital (for example in the first Salem's Lot miniseries ) the female nurse first on the scene will put her hands to her face and scream. Having worked in hospitals I agree that this is probably a sensible reaction to the mountain of paperwork that will follow.
Those incident forms don't fill themselves in.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Everybody else in the house saying ‘It was him’, while watching a detective drama and then when it’s revealed it was her... ‘Ooooh. I said it was her’.

IamSundog

Not insane
Reaction score
In every slasher/monster/giant snake movie we always get the shot where the camera is moving stealthily through the foliage following the oblivious young starlet. In the case of an alien, it utilizes false color. In the case of a killer robot, it’s overlaid with blinking data readouts.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Anyone that you have an altercation with on the way to a job interview will always turn out to be the boss at your potential new workplace.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone that you have an altercation with on the way to a job interview will always turn out to be the boss at your potential new workplace.
... Or at least the person tasked to conduct your job interview.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Anyone shown driving a car (from the viewpoint of a camera on the bonnet facing backward) will always move the steering wheel from side to side much more vigorously than is needed when driving on most real-life roads.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone shown driving a car (from the viewpoint of a camera on the bonnet facing backward) will always move the steering wheel from side to side much more vigorously than is needed when driving on most real-life roads.
The same "driver hands over-acting" bit is also common in simulated driving scenes shot from the side (almost always the driver's side).

I've notice this little fault a lot lately when watching old movies and vintage TV episodes. Sometimes when they filmed using the "camera on bonnet pointing back" vantage the driving actor's hand movements are the opposite of the way the car seems to be moving / turning according to the back-projected scenery.

Timble2

Imaginary Person
Reaction score
In Science Fiction films and TV, any space craft that have definite tops and bottoms are always the same way up when they confront each other (Star Trek is a particularly egregious example of this).

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Whenever an attractive woman appears on the screen of the starship Enterprise, Captain Kirk will stand up very slowly, mouth hanging slightly open, all the time keeping a creepy, predatory eye contact with said attractive lady.

Vardoger

Antediluvian
Reaction score